High Elf Help Needed

Moderator: Council of Elders

Cirenival
Newcomer
Newcomer

High Elf Help Needed

Post by Cirenival »

Ok so, i learnt never to get into a bragging contest with a high elf player as they will call you out.
Basicly ive been challenged to a 15OOp game with a dragon and whatever other nasty stuff he can cram in and now im regretting it :P
Basically how do i handle the dragon? Does massed bowfire work?
Thanks
Rule 592.
~Milliardo~
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: High Elves, Wood Elves

Re: High Elf Help Needed

Post by ~Milliardo~ »

It does - at 1500, all he can take is a Dragonmage, and the mage riding on top has no armor and can only take a 5+ ward at best. Bowfire is very dangerous to it. Its a very dangerous unit still, but very fragile. If he's using it correctly he'll either be throwing it at units that have no hope of fighting it off, or using it like an Apache Gunship - sort of a terrain hugging, flying, missile firing turret. In that case, if he lands near a wood to hide it from your bowfire (and he should), you can blast it with all those terrain-dependent magic missiles.
Cirenival
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Cirenival »

Ah thank you, the only other option i could see was the spirt sword and thats 2OOOp< only.
Does killing blow work on the mage? Or is the dragons US the one that matters in this respect?
Many Thanks. :)
Rule 592.
~Milliardo~
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by ~Milliardo~ »

Killing blow would indeed work on the mage, but with only 2 wounds, toughness 3, no armor and at best a 5+ ward, its not really necessary. The Dragonmage is a funny creation in that it doesn't act like most flying monsters. After using it myself I'm convinced its at its most dangerous when its part of a magic heavy force and used as support - I only charge it into close combat in the final turns of the game. If he seems to be throwing it into combat as fast as possible, count yourself lucky. :3
The Virgin Forest
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: WoC, WE and VC and working on 40K DH

Post by The Virgin Forest »

The dragon is generally wasted on the dragon mage, as its breath weapon is rather poor, and the mage is too fragile for CC.

The mage on the other hand is pretty neat, as he generates an extra PD for each spell - but since he can't have more than three spells, this will only result in 1 extra PD compared to getting two lvl 2 mages.

So all in all, it is a rather poor choice because of the lousy synergy between mage and dragon.
– it is said that the apples of Athel Loren gain their deep red hue from the blood of its enemies soaking the ground.
~Milliardo~
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by ~Milliardo~ »

I disagree rather strongly, but I also realize I'm in the minority - most people think its a waste of points. I've been defending it so long that I'm quite exhausted.

If you're going up against it or using it yourself, you might consider reading this tactica from Ulthuan.net. Its very much in line with my own thinking and I've used the Dragonmage to good effect.

http://www.ulthuan.net/library/warfare/ ... _fire.html
Deepwood
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Deepwood »

Waywatchers!

Massed killing blow works well. You need to have enough of them though or the stats are against you.

I have killed both Dragon and Dragon Mage with a unit of 3 treekin and a BSB nearby, but I enjoy the death-at-range-of-your-signature-unit of the waywatcher approach

Let us know if you succeed!
Deep in the wood there is death, and love. None can tell which awaits them. And none leave, whichever they find.
Cirenival
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Cirenival »

Thanks for all the advise, especially for the link on the dragon mage tactica, i have'nt read it yet but that can be my motivation to get my revision done :P
Does the dragon get ASF? If not i'll have a standerd Alter Noble on standby, asuming that a dragon mage is pretty bad in combat? :D
Rule 592.
~Milliardo~
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by ~Milliardo~ »

The dragon has no ASF - only the elves in the army have it, not the mounts. And the Dragonmage himself has ASF, and 2, strength 3 attacks. He's not dangerous unless he gets the Flaming Sword of Rhuin off, then of course he has 3, strength 6 attacks that are flaming and always hit on a 2+. Watch for a canny player to set it off and then cast Drain Magic with another mage - this makes it 8+ to dispel in your own turn. :3
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General
Armies I play: VC, Empire, Asrai, DoW, DE, SM, Lustwing, many IG, Adeptus Mechanicus

Post by ArchMagosAlchemys »

The weakness is not the DragonMage per se, but the DragonMage in a 1500 point army of elite units; like a Treeman in 1000 points, it becomes the be-all end-all of the list. If it loses, or you lose it, you lose the game.

With our mobility AND liking for terrain, it will be difficult to keep the DragonMage 'safe'.
Airmeith: Healer of the Twisted Glade

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!
Treachery Aforth: Witches purged = 0

War of Blood: 3 Daemonettes, last wound Keeper of Secrets
Cirenival
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Cirenival »

So its a case of make sure he doesnt get flaming sword off, i assume he will only have one mage due to points limitations and his favorite unit off Phonix Guard with a 5+4++ save, a lion chariot and a RBT thrown in.
Im considering taking two 1O man Glade Guard units and two 5 man scout units (mainly for asthetic reasons but its also funny to see him focus fire on a 85p skirmishing unit in a wood :smirk: ) and some waywatchers for his silver helms
Is that over doing it?
Sorry for all the questions :paranoid:
Rule 592.
Tethlis
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves, Dark Elves, Ogres.

Post by Tethlis »

Lots of Strength 3 shooting is a great thing to have when fighting High Elves in all their forums, because they (like us) are very vulnerable to it. I like Waywatchers a lot, but wouldn't necessarily count on them to kill a lot of knights. Since Silver Helms don't hit as hard as a lot of other heavy cavalry, and are very vulnerable when they're charged, I would use Dryads or a Wild Rider charge (ideally in the flank) to help break them. More specialized Forest Spirits like the Treeman or Treekin will laugh at Silver Helms, can easily soak up their charge, and break them in combat.