Lord choices for 2K

Moderator: Council of Elders

Loren's Watcher
Newcomer
Newcomer

Lord choices for 2K

Post by Loren's Watcher »

Hello to all WE players,

I'm making my 2K list...so far for 1.5 k my heroes were an alter noble and a level 2 spellsinger...

for 2k i want to add a highborn with bow of loren, arcane bodkins and w/e else will make him good...

is this a good idea? or, should i put in a spellweaver or branchwraith? my army is more based on shooting but is balanced enough for handling some combat. i just think that 4 heroes gets too pricey.

thanks
Hopeless Hero
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Re: Lord choices for 2K

Post by Hopeless Hero »

You can never really go wrong with a machine gun build.
The two most common ones are an alter noble (For the movement and extra shot), but some also use an eagle mounted noble.
Both have their strong points, so its up to you.
As for the extra points, generally people will take a SOtCM for the ward save.
"Knowledge is what you know, Intelligence is how you use it."
-Me
The Virgin Forest
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: WoC, WE and VC and working on 40K DH

Post by The Virgin Forest »

He is a popular choice - add the glamourweave for protection to make sure you don't lose him to a magic missile.

Personally I'm not very fond of him, but thats a matter of taste, so I'll point to a few other choices:

Wardancer Highborn w. Blades of Loec, Amber Pendant and Annoyance. A real elfy hero :)

Spellweaver. Lvl 4, 3 scrolls, Calaingors Staff. Supports and protects the army better than anything else.

The ancient. Annoyance and Radiants. Basically a 90 point upgrade to your treeman adding magic protection, the ability to challenge, and makes him a lot more stubborn - while leaving lots of points to buy more troops.

Why don't I like the machine gun; S3 is just too dice reliant. He is also 300 really squishy points. You'll need more magic protection at 2K. And he has never performed anything to justify his price in my games.

But go ahead and try him out for yourself. Its a lot more fun :)
– it is said that the apples of Athel Loren gain their deep red hue from the blood of its enemies soaking the ground.
JohnMavrick
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Lizardmen and Bretonnians. 40K Working on Black Templars, planning an IG Regimet

Post by JohnMavrick »

The question you have to ask yourself when choosing any Lord level choice is weather or not they will make back their points in the game. Of course you'll not make back your points every game but if you have get back more than half your doing good.

To me a machine gun HB doesn't seem that he would make back his points very effectively being at str 3. Even with
3-4 shots a turn.

The rest of the suggestions above are really good except that I would use Orb of Divination instead of Calgor's stave for magic protection. Same price but you get extra free dispel dice.
"...so matched they stood, for never would either like to meet so great a foe..."
John Milton 'Paradise Lost'
KidA
Undercover Druchii

Post by KidA »

JohnMavrick wrote:The question you have to ask yourself when choosing any Lord level choice is weather or not they will make back their points in the game. Of course you'll not make back your points every game but if you have get back more than half your doing good.
Again, I must disagree with that statement, as well as with the entire 'earning points back' theory.

For starters, let me say this: a character that costs 300 pts and during the course of the game, aside from providing Ld to most of the army, kills a 100 pts of enemy units AND suffers less than 1/2 wounds (surrendering 0 VPs to your opponent) nay not have earned his points 'back' but has in all actuality earned 100 pts.

And a second, not so far-fetched example: a WR Lord (my current favourite, btw), equipped with an Annoyance and a 4+ ward vs close combat attacks, manages to be in cc from second turn with a Bloodthirster. During the entire game he manages to lose 2 wounds (so, he gives your opponent 150ish VPs) and inflicts less than 1/2 wounds on Bloodthirster, earning nothing. However, those 500 pts (300 for a character and 200 for WR unit) managed to hold up a Bloodthirster for the entire game, and this guy would have run rampage through your army if left unchecked. So, my question is - without even coming close to 'earning his points back', was he worth having in your list? I'd say that he was very much useful.
JohnMavrick
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Lizardmen and Bretonnians. 40K Working on Black Templars, planning an IG Regimet

Post by JohnMavrick »

In a way the HB would be earning his points back by keeping the Blood Thirster at bay. It's a very valid and completely agreable point. Sacrificing your HB and his unit to tie up a BT for the entire game, even though they wouldn't kill it, would keep it from rampaging across your lines. Thus, in essence, earning back his points by keeping the rest of your army safe from this killing machine.

When earning points back it's not just about how much you can kill with it, it's what his over all effect will bring. Characters that are kitted out as machine guns tend to hang back on the side lines and kill a few models a turn, thus not doing much of anything to earn back their 300+ points. Sure they would give Ld to the occasional unit. But even giving this HB an Eagle would greatly improve it's abilities.
"...so matched they stood, for never would either like to meet so great a foe..."
KidA
Undercover Druchii

Post by KidA »

JohnMavrick wrote:But even giving this HB an Eagle would greatly improve it's abilities.
Actually, quite the opposite:

Firstly, making him alter gives you an additional A, which means more shots per round, making him more effective in shooting phase.

Secondly, while making him less mobile, Alters are actually more fighty, since you have 5S6A (compared to 4S4+2S4) and you don't have a rather soft Eagle for your opponent to kill under you and thus boost his CR.

What Eagle provides is more protection, meaning you protect your points better via passivity. However, when considering actual earning of points, alter is better at it than Eaglerider.

See, this is not such a clear situation as one might think...
stuy82
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by stuy82 »

I dont think you can go far wrong with a TMA (CoR, AoN) @2K. They serve a lot of roles - big terror causing nasty, ST6, magic, anvil against units and characters with AoN and as i found out more recently strangle root is ace.

I think the machine gun HB is just to many points for what it will do - great against elite knights especially elven but for near on 300 points its a gamble in an all comers list.
The Virgin Forest
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: WoC, WE and VC and working on 40K DH

Post by The Virgin Forest »

Then again sometimes you just gotta go with whats cool, and the machine gun alter really embodies everything thats cool about the wood elves :ninja:
– it is said that the apples of Athel Loren gain their deep red hue from the blood of its enemies soaking the ground.
JohnMavrick
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by JohnMavrick »

The Virgin Forest wrote:Then again sometimes you just gotta go with whats cool, and the machine gun alter really embodies everything thats cool about the wood elves :ninja:
Quite True!
Loren's Watcher
Newcomer
Newcomer

In all the coolness that the "machine gun"guy brings to the army, ive found him not so good ... the str 3 is very limiting given the 5 shots you can pump out...i think for 2 k ill field a spellweaver, spellsinger and an alter noble...then again i killed shadowblade today with the machine gun hb....maybe hes just a gamble haha.
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General
Armies I play: VC, Empire, Asrai, DoW, DE, SM, Lustwing, many IG, Adeptus Mechanicus

Post by ArchMagosAlchemys »

Consider no lord at all, or upgrade your Treeman, if used, to an Ancient.
Airmeith: Healer of the Twisted Glade

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!
Treachery Aforth: Witches purged = 0

War of Blood: 3 Daemonettes, last wound Keeper of Secrets
Mithrail
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elfs, Bretonnia (Old army, rarely in use)

Post by Mithrail »

I'm having a hard timing deciding how my general in a 2250p army will look like. Trying for a WD lord with either AAoN and SotCM or AAoN, SotCM and BoL (Blades not bow) or a WD noble with one of those. What do everyone think is the best choise?
The prayer was not heard after all
and the penitence no longer means anything
Must the longing, compassion,
and even the love for each other be shattered into pieces,
as if it were a fragile and sad song that the elves sing?
Loren's Watcher
Newcomer
Newcomer

I don't know much about what kinds of heroes to use, but i have found that when i play...the more i focus on movement and shooting the better my army does. i would say that my playing style is heavy on shooting so im more "prone" to chose a shooty hero. right now i do prefer the alter noble with HoDA...once in a while you get lucky and scare the pants off of the victim :)

in response to my earlier questions and comments, ive decided to go with a spellweaver, branchwraith and alter noble for 2K points.
Herald
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Herald »

Mithrail wrote:I'm having a hard timing deciding how my general in a 2250p army will look like. Trying for a WD lord with either AAoN and SotCM or AAoN, SotCM and BoL (Blades not bow) or a WD noble with one of those. What do everyone think is the best choise?
A dancer HB w BoL, SotCM and Netlings is a real killing machine able to take on the nastiest of characters. Classy lord choice! :sexy: A noble w BoL is the economy version vs r'n'f and monsters, maybe a little squishy to be general.
Mithrail
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elfs, Bretonnia (Old army, rarely in use)

Post by Mithrail »

Herald wrote:
Mithrail wrote:I'm having a hard timing deciding how my general in a 2250p army will look like. Trying for a WD lord with either AAoN and SotCM or AAoN, SotCM and BoL (Blades not bow) or a WD noble with one of those. What do everyone think is the best choise?
A dancer HB w BoL, SotCM and Netlings is a real killing machine able to take on the nastiest of characters. Classy lord choice! :sexy: A noble w BoL is the economy version vs r'n'f and monsters, maybe a little squishy to be general.
Then its the lord, especially since my army will look more ranged than CC oriented and then with him as a duelist, that will be interesting :sexy:
The prayer was not heard after all
and the penitence no longer means anything
Must the longing, compassion,
and even the love for each other be shattered into pieces,
as if it were a fragile and sad song that the elves sing?