Asrai.org Server Changes

READ HERE BEFORE POSTING
The site's important and useful announcements and news will be posted here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Naggie
King of the Woods
Armies I play: Druchii and Asrai. Elves for the win!

Asrai.org Server Changes

Post by Naggie »

Due to the previous months of slow loading of Asrai.org, the temporary site offline time and database crashes/overloads on the behalf of our current website hosting company, we are now moving to a new hosting company. I cannot say a specific date yet, other than it will happen, and pretty soon.

What will this mean for you, as a user?

Well, two things mainly.
1. During a short period, the site will go down for an unspecified amount of time while the actual transfer is being made. This will be announced in time.
2. Secondly, and more importantly, the current address of woodelves.org will be changed into the proper asrai.org domain. This means that all links that currently have woodelves.org/anything in it will have to be changed into asrai.org/anything
I will try to go through all posts on the first page(s) of all forums and change links in those posts, but all of your bookmarks maybe need updating. We'll see once it actually happens.

More as the story develops...

~ Nag
Naggie
King of the Woods

Re: Asrai.org Server Changes

Post by Naggie »

UPDATE

The new host has been bought, and the domain Asrai.org is being transferred. If you enter "www.asrai.org" into your browser's address field and come to a blank page or a page you did not intend to visit, try the "real" http://www.woodelves.org which should still work.

~ Nag
Ramesesis
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood elves & Empire at the moment

Post by Ramesesis »

Three cheers for you, Nagathi!
Leafstalker wrote:Nothing more beautiful then seeing a massive Bret charge stall into the formed ranks of the Eternal Guard... my Highborn Ramesesis had to harden his heart as he dueled with the Bret Lords and cut them down.
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

If things work this time (third or fourth time I do the transfer thing), the new server should be running by next weekend. It'll then take me a while to copy all files and get the new server functional, so I won't put a date on things yet.
All I wanted you to know is that things are in motion.

~ Nag
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

UPDATE

http://www.asrai.org is now up and working. It will take me time to move all the files and data from woodelves.org to the new host, but my preliminary guess is that we'll make the move sometime this weekend. Might take longer due to the database's size. I'd have to call in some experts to help me there.

~ Nag
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

MAJOR UPDATE!
The move is done! Hyarion has been a wonderful help with the entire database move, and my slow internet hasn't made things better. It took far longer than I had expected, but the move is finally done! We are still looking over all the data to see nothing was missed in the transfer, but it looks alright. The only miss was my own. I forgot to upload the images folder, which is why avatars were not working for the first 5 minutes (uploading as I write this).

I will go through all topics on the first page of all forums to try and fix all broken links due to the move. I need to go to bed soon, so let me know if you find anything and I'll fix it tomorrow (or my trusted Council of Elders can step in and edit a post here and there). Thanks for being so patient with me during this move.

~ Nag
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General
Armies I play: VC, Empire, Asrai, DoW, DE, SM, Lustwing, many IG, Adeptus Mechanicus

Post by ArchMagosAlchemys »

Well done Nag. (and Hy.) Thanks for all the hard work.
Airmeith: Healer of the Twisted Glade

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!
Treachery Aforth: Witches purged = 0

War of Blood: 3 Daemonettes, last wound Keeper of Secrets
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

As some have noted, smilies are not fully functional just yet. I'm working on it, but will probably not get them done tonight (I should have been going to bed almost two hours ago).

Keep letting me know what things you find. The more notifications I get, the quicker I will notice them myself and do something about it.

~ Nag
Ninza
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Fantasy: O&G, VC, WE, LM, Dwarfs, chaos, 40K:Marines

Bug or what?

Post by Ninza »

My chat isn't working again. At first time I fixed it by using Ulthuan skin which allowed me to use chat but now when name of this site changed it doesn't allow me to use chat at all. When I click Chatroom it Logs me out. Why is that? (Did you even understand? :) )
Sphynx
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elf, Vampire Counts, sometimes Bretonnian

Log me on automatically each visit

Post by Sphynx »

Just wanted to let you know that this option isn't working. I have to re-login every time I come to the board.
For every glass full of Whine you serve me, I'm serving you a Battlefield of Cheese.
Naggie
King of the Woods

Re: Bug or what?

Post by Naggie »

Ninza wrote:My chat isn't working again. At first time I fixed it by using Ulthuan skin which allowed me to use chat but now when name of this site changed it doesn't allow me to use chat at all. When I click Chatroom it Logs me out. Why is that? (Did you even understand? :) )
It is a bug. Will work on it soon. Hang on.
Just wanted to let you know that this option isn't working. I have to re-login every time I come to the board.
Have you tried logging in and out again? With a new site, you need to remind your browser that it should save your password and stuff here as well. If that still doesn't work, we can all blame Hyarion for messing up the sessions data.

~ Nag
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

* Hyarion is innocent of all crimes!
The Warrior of the Silver Flame
I hold the Glaive of Law against the Earth.

If you refuse to capitalize on your strengths or make the most of your opponent's weaknesses, you are begging to lose.
There is no combat without movement.

matthew_swifty
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood elves, Eldar, Bretonnians

Post by matthew_swifty »

The lack of avatars is quite irritating. What is the problem there?
Im going to read the rest of this in a salt mine, while eating salt.
Ramesesis wrote:None of that sissy picking what mini that suits my purposes for each game wankering stuff! NO!!!
I worship Jesus at the pub. Thats why i'm filled with the spirit.
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

I see the avatars. Who else does not?

As for the constant logout error, I have found the problem (or rather, I have eliminated all other possible ones, including a friggin' fresh install of the phpBB system as well as a recreation of the skins and layout and whatnot. Sorry for the downtime that caused, by the way.
The issue with the logout problem is due to the new host. There's a setting in the database that needs to be fixed, either by my database guru Hyarion, or by our new host. I will look into it.

In the meantime, if you want to use the chatroom, I can divert you to the Ulthuan.net chat applet, or the Warvault.net chat applet. I shall investigate further once I get in touch with Hyarion.

I have fixed some links in the navigation, as well as the LEAF - but not yet the "Discuss Thread" links in each article. That's for later tonight or tomorrow. Also, the search does not work (I think). I will rebuild it when traffic slows down a bit (it takes a few hours of processing, and I'd like to speed it up as much as I can).

~ Nag
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General
Armies I play: VC, Empire, Asrai, DoW, DE, SM, Lustwing, many IG, Adeptus Mechanicus

Fantastic work Nagathi. Don't kill yourself. I can wait for the problems to be resolved. with American Thanksgiving coming up, tomrrow, your taffic pattern might change for the next couple of days.

Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!

Gropah
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Gropah »

Nagathi wrote:I see the avatars. Who else does not?
I.
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General

When I reply to a post, the Avatars, which I see when I start, disappear. Refreshing the browser does not help, refreshing the topic by reloading it, does work.
Last edited by ArchMagosAlchemys on 21 Nov 2007, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.

Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!

Sphynx
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Bug or what?

Post by Sphynx »

Nagathi wrote:
Sphynx wrote:Just wanted to let you know that this option isn't working. I have to re-login every time I come to the board.
Have you tried logging in and out again? With a new site, you need to remind your browser that it should save your password and stuff here as well. If that still doesn't work, we can all blame Hyarion for messing up the sessions data.

~ Nag
Close your browser, re-open it, and come to Asrai.org, you're not logged in. Actually, login, and then browser to http://www.asrai.org/ and you'll be logged out. Seems dependent on the sid variable being carried in the address bar.

Also, when you post, all the Smilies (right-hand toolbar when in Edit mode) is a list of text instead

And the Avatar Images are missing for me too.
For every glass full of Whine you serve me, I'm serving you a Battlefield of Cheese.
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

Avatars and Smilies should now work.

~ Nag
Gropah
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Gropah »

Indeed. :thumbsup:
Lord Khaladin
Arboreal Sentinel

Post by Lord Khaladin »

heh the special titles didn't get carried over again :D yours included apparently. - Lord Khaladin
Khaladin Snowmane,
Lord of the Midnight Guard,
Bane of the Undead.
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

Odd.. very odd. It must be a database entry, which means it got lost in Hyarion's database transfer :D
I'll see what I can do.

~ Nag
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

My guess is that the Ranks need to be repaired with the user names they belong to, but I personally saw that the data was transferred.
The Warrior of the Silver Flame
I hold the Glaive of Law against the Earth.

If you refuse to capitalize on your strengths or make the most of your opponent's weaknesses, you are begging to lose.
There is no combat without movement.

Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

The auto-logout issue has now been solved! The fault is entirely mine. More accurately, my neglect or stupid mind. In my controls for the site, I have power over the cookies that gets saved on your computer. Those cookies stores information about the site you are on, including session controls. The settings had not been changed to asrai.org from woodelves.org. That's why they failed to work properly. Now I've fixed the error, but it requires you all to clear your browser cache and delete old cookies. After you've done that, things should be back to normal.

As that is working, I will now reinstate the chatroom. Ranks are to be done (25 ranks and I can't remember what user to go with what rank.. Gah! If you know you've been rewarded a non-Council rank, remind me which one was you again :))

~ Nag
Sphynx
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Sphynx »

Uhm... yeah, I was uhm.. awarded, a Wind Rider title, yeah.... I remember now, yeah.... :P