The New Age of Asrai.org!

READ HERE BEFORE POSTING
The site's important and useful announcements and news will be posted here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Naggie
King of the Woods
Armies I play: Druchii and Asrai. Elves for the win!

The New Age of Asrai.org!

Post by Naggie »

The New Age of Asrai.org

Good evening, my fellow Asrai kin!

It is with a great amount of pride I welcome you all to a new age of this community! Almost 22 months after it first saw the light of day (with its virtual eyes gazing through the virtual window at the virtual sun) this glorious day has come. As probably the first Warhammer community, we have made the jump to a new version of phpBB. We used to run on phpBB 2.0.x, but what we have here is phpBB Olympus – phpBB 3.0.

With this new system, a lot is new to us all. Me and Kul have been testing and trying out the earlier beta versions of this system, and we are slightly accustomed to how it works. Most of our time has been devoted to the massive control panels though – as well as skinning. The default skin is made from scratch by Kul – again. Many thanks to him and his long hours of work for the site. But as it is not 100% complete or tried yet, the regular phpBB 3 skin of proSilver will be an option in your control panels. If something shows errors or does weird things, try changing to proSilver skin and try it again. For those of you who prefers the darker skin we used to have; you’ll have to wait. That skin was a skin we downloaded from the phpbb site and did not do ourselves. For this new phpBB Olympus that skin doesn’t exist and we need to make a new version ourselves. For the moment, that is on relatively low priority.

Instead, me and Kul will try to get this skin working flawlessly as well as being here to answer all those questions that I’m sure will arise. Just the matter of understanding how to send PMs might be tricky the first time as there is a lot more you can do and a lot more gadgets to tinker with. The same goes with almost everything about this system. There is too many new features to even mention them all! That is why the administrators and the Council of Elders urges you to try, test and tinker with stuff as much as you can. Don’t spam threads, but feel free to reply with quotes and codes where appropriate.

One of the main new functions for you users is the attachments. To each post you are allowed to attach a maximum of five files to each post, each file can be no larger than 2 MB and each person has a max of 50 MB to upload in total. This will effectively replace and update the old and crappy UploadPic feature we used to have. Now you can attach more than just images. About ten times more file types than I even knew exists are allowed, but we’re unsure if we’ll keep them all. However, when appropriate you can now upload text documents, images, and even music files (if they are less than 2 MB). The 50 MB max for each person might shrink if we see people using this too much, so be cautious, but don’t be afraid :)
A good read is {this} where a lot of the user-side changes and news are explained and shown.

For now, I will let you kids run and try this new system out. If you find any errors, anything you do not quite really understand (and there will be, trust me); don’t be afraid to ask me or Kul. We are here to help you ease into this transition. If you find anything you’ve lost from the old site (avatar, posts, PMs – anything) ask us. We have a backup of the old site (sitting on Hyarion’s and my computer though) and we can retrieve things somehow. One last word from me fore I let you go: even though Kul and I have been trying this system for a while, we won’t know everything and we don’t always have a solution. But the more questions we get, the more will we fiddle until we know every little detail of this system

Now, enjoy the new Asrai.org!

Nagathi
Asrai.org Owner and Admin
Naggie
King of the Woods

Re: The New Age of Asrai.org!

Post by Naggie »

The higher you sit, the harder you fall...

After merely five minuter after reopening, we have a series of errors we're working on.

- The Green Skin does not work in Internet Explorer/Opera, but works fine in Firefox
- The Admin Control Panel can't be accessed (that's bad...)
- The server times out a lot (may be due to straining on the server, but not sure).

Keep on reporting any errors you may encounter.

~ Nag
Tijminator
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Tijminator »

Yay, the forum is back! :D

*Tijminator is happy

Everything looks like it's 'mirrorred' though[Edit: Not in the 'Green' skin. My mistake.]That'll take a while to get used to I think..

Anyway, it looks good from what I've seen, and the new skin looks nice (though a bit unfinished).

Tijminator

Edit:
Nag wrote:There is too many new features to even mention them all! That is why the administrators and the Council of Elders urges you to try, test and tinker with stuff as much as you can. Don’t spam threads, but feel free to reply with quotes and codes where appropriate.
I will. ;)
Viva La Banana!
Hyarion wrote:*Hyarion|Away hopes someone is quoting this
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

I can keep a little log here of what's happening:

1. All forum moderators have now finally gotten their powers (including us admins.. Gah, I thought we'd have them automatically).
2. The Green Skin blocks all Internet Explorer and Opera users out as something in the skin prevents those browsers from viewing the pages. That's why this blue skin is default. All who uses other browsers than IE or Opera should use the Asrai.org Development Skin to avoid this mirrored view.
3. The Admin Control Panel is back, and it was probably due to heavy loads on the server during the US afternoon abd Europe evening that caused the big hike in traffic.

Stuff we know are "missing" from the previous site:
1. A portal page.
2. The chat applet.
3. Staff page (who really used it anyway? We got many links to the staff groups now instead)
4. The Guides & FAQ.

We will see what we can do with the above four things. They were all features we downloaded for v.2.0.x and we didn't create them ourselves, which means it's going to be hard making our own - or we'll wait for the developers to create them for 3.0.RC1.

~ Nag
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

Update again:

The Custom Profile Fields are back!
The three ones we used have are now only one, for one of the old ones are included per automatic in the system. So hit the profile buttons and enter your birth date (to be displayed in the "Who is celebrating birthday today?" part of the index page - I will appear there tomorrow). Also, you can now enter your armies agani. I have set the max length of that field to 100 characters. I hope that's enough for most of you.

~ Nag
Schmeag
Out of Order

Post by Schmeag »

Interesting. :) The smilies don't seem to feature immediately; you have to click 'View more smilies' to get to them. It's also nice to see that Birthdates can now be inputted. The 'Friends and Foes' title made me chuckle slightly (a bit of a strong term, even if it is fluffy, don't you think?) The activity section is also quite interesting.

The skin itself is okay, but I think the buttons could be improved: "FAQ", "Search", "Members"... etc. The "Quotes" is also spelt wrong and looks out of proportion with the "Edit" button, which looks out of place. The attachments are nice though. All in all, it looks promising. :nod:

What do the Flash tags do?
Johannes|
The Twilight Sisters
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Lizardmen, Chaos, Orcs

Post by Johannes| »

Here is a little update, I got the Green skin working just a few minutes ago, after lots of stressy moments, and we have even gotten a XHTML1.0 strict validation, and a CSS validation.

I have set the Asrai skin as the default, and applied it for all users.

If it doesn't work, your browser might not be compliant with the standards. A test can be found here
Also known as Kul... once..
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

I have fixed all usergroups and their nickname colours (I think). I will start the smilies now.

Next thing to do about the skin is the Navigation Buttons.

~ Nag
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

I've added a few smilies now, as well as a new bbcode tag (this will be my test post with it):
This text should be centered
The poll bars after voting needs to be fixed as well. They seem to be stuck at minimum length no matter how many votes each option has...

~ Nag
Schmeag
Out of Order

Re: t3h New Age of Asrai.org!

Post by Schmeag »

New Age: Revenge of T-H-E t3h!!!!

L-o-w-e-r c-a-s-e a-n-d n-e-t-s-p-e-a-k s-e-e-m-s t-o h-a-v-e u-n-w-i-t-t-i-n-g-l-y e-n-t-e-r-e-d o-u-r p-o-s-t-s. (The hyphens supposed to prevent it from happening to the message as well.)
SV_Harlequin
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: the New Age of Asrai.org!

Post by SV_Harlequin »

Okay i've tried the new site a bit now and well I don't like it. It was good when it had the same set up and look as Druchii and Asur sites.

And what's with t3h everywhere?

And why no front page anymore? or have I missed it someplace.
Zoe: Proximity alert. Must be coming up on something.
Wash: alarmed Oh my god. What can it be? We're all doomed! Who's flying this thing!? (deadpan) Oh right, that would be me. Back to work.
Lord Voldemorten
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Lord Voldemorten »

t3h really hurts... I'd really love to get rid of it (and all other chat speak for that matter).
~Lord Voldemorten
Cpt_NinjaPants
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Woodies, Hopefuly Empire, and Rome.

Post by Cpt_NinjaPants »

The new website is alright, i just got used to the old one -_-.

But yeah, t3h is everywhere t-h-e should be.
Johannes|
The Twilight Sisters

Post by Johannes| »

Lord Voldemorten wrote:t3h really hurts... I'd really love to get rid of it (and all other chat speak for that matter).

That's a good idea :)
I was just playing around with word censoring, which caused the t3h (sorry), but now that you say it, all the breezah-talk stuff really annoys me, and now we can counter it :D

SV_Harlequin: Nope, and I'm not even sure there is a portal available for phpBB3 yet. I'll make sure to install one once they are available though

About the skins:
I don't remember having an Asur & Druchii-like skin in phpBB2, so we'll probably not create one either. Not in the last place be cause WE ARE NOT Druchii.net or Asur.org.uk, we are Asrai.org, and the woodelves have always been the black sheep amongst the elves

* 666th post -- Evil!*
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

As for the portal; that was an add-on we installed for 2.0.x and such an add-on hasn't been created for 3.0.RC1. Yet. I'm very confident a portal will be done for this new system very soon.
These are the current add-ons and MODs for phpBB 3: http://www.phpbb.com/mods/db/index.php? ... &sub=3.0.x

~ Nag
Schmeag
Out of Order

Post by Schmeag »

Test.

Someone might notice that the underline tags in my previous post suddenly became 'you'. Looks like that censoring thing won't work that way, Kul. ;)
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

test

As for portals: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 2&t=543991

EDIT: Fixed Kul's little mistake about the [you] tag. He tried to get rid of netspeak, so he set all "u" to be changed into "you", which screwed up the tag..

~ Nag
Johannes|
The Twilight Sisters

Post by Johannes| »

Nagathi wrote:test

As for portals: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 2&t=543991

EDIT: Fixed Kul's little mistake about the [you] tag. He tried to get rid of netspeak, so he set all "u" to be changed into "you", which screwed up the tag..

~ Nag

One finds out by trying :)
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

... or by asking one who have tried the same before :)

~ Nag
The Golden Arrow
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves and Empire

Post by The Golden Arrow »

A strange thing that happens when I write a reply (only in that window) is that I can't really mark (I think it's that word at least) the text. Only seperate words (sometimes) or letters. The Quote and other tags at the tops and the smilies don't work either (nothing happens when I click on the buttons). I'm using IE by the way.

Can someone explain?

Overall the site needs some adjusting still, but it can become really good I think. I'm slowly getting used to the skin (should have inserted smilie).
We've all heard of ninja horses and wild rider horses are much better than normal horses so they must be super ninjas......right?

The Golden Ninja :ninja:
Servant of Isha
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Servant of Isha »

I'm having the same problems with the tags at the top; None seem to work. I'm using Firefox, with the green skin (I'll try the basic one in a minute).

However, manually inputting tags () etc works fine. such as this.

It looks like it'll be good though when this is all sorted!

EDIT: The tags work on Prosilver or whatever it's called, so it is linked with the development skin.

Servant of Isha.
Johannes|
The Twilight Sisters

Post by Johannes| »

Thanks for reporting :)
The inspector has sent me a PM about this aswell, he reported that it was not possible/hard to select text, and that the makeup (?) buttons and smilies didn't work.

I can't confirm the selection problem, this seems to be exclusive to IE (I have Opera and Firefox).

The url, italc, bold, quote ETC tags don't appear to be inserted by clicking on the appropiate button, and the smileys show a similar behaviour :nod:

I'll try do discover why this happens, and what it is related to. More updates soon. If it appears to be an easy fix, it'll be done tomorrow, otherwise expect it to be fixed within a week.

-Kul
Amarel
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: DE, Chaos, WE.

Post by Amarel »

What I really miss is the plain mid-green background, the 'view posts since last visit' option and 'quote' being spelt correctly.

What are my chances of getting some, if not all, of those back? The simplicity was beautiful and I'm currently kind of avoiding this place due to it being 'not right' :(.
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

At the top right, just below the Navigation Buttons there's a link called "View New Posts" - That's your "View posts since last visit"

The Quote (qoute) button will be made black like the rest, and I will try to get Kul to make all buttons the same style (black background - including the new reply buttons etc).
The other skin will come once someone creates it. Feel free to do it yourself, me and Kul are a tad busy with exams all day long and getting the current skin and functions working.

~ Nag
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

Update:
Now during the small hours in Eurpoe (it's 02:22 as I write this) the server has finally managed to index all the posts on the site to use in the Search. We have two types of indexes, and removing one of thm scales away over 50MB of database size :)

Hopefully, all searches should now work properly. Let us know if it doesn't.

~ Nag