Merry Christmas 2006!

READ HERE BEFORE POSTING
The site's important and useful announcements and news will be posted here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Naggie
King of the Woods
Armies I play: Druchii and Asrai. Elves for the win!

Merry Christmas 2006!

Post by Naggie »

Merry Christmas Everyone!

To start with, I’d like to apologise to all non-Christians on our forums for the enhanced Christmassy stuff without much attention to the festivities of other religions. I just wanted to spread a little happiness over our forums, and it was not meant to be as an insult to any other religions. This is a time of celebration, regardless of ones belief.

I do have another thing I need to apologise for. Those of you who noticed the “Hidden X-Mas Secret” link on the portal may be slightly disappointed. That secret will remain a secret for a little while longer. The schedule we had failed, and everything is not completely done. The new scheduled release will be in one week, January 1st. However, that is not completely set in stone yet and further delays may happen. To make up for it, we have devised a little less grand present, but hopefully you’ll like that one too.

With that said, I feel obliged to move on to our annual Christmas Presents!

Two new Moderators
Two forums stand without moderators since a couple of months back, it was about time we fixed new ones. Both of the new moderators are free to chose a custom title. Speak it in this thread or send me a PM when you have decided.

My first Christmas gift goes to Schmeag! He gets the gift of modhood in the Fluff & Stories forum. Merry Christmas!
Schemag has been writing a lot and can help others with their fluff and stories to tune them to their best. He is very helpful and very a nice bloke in general. A well deserved gift.

The second gift of modhood goes to NightKnight! He gets moderator powers in the Arena of Death forum. Merry Christmas!
NightKnight is always accurate and helpful in all ways possible, and his interest in AoDs makes him the perfect moderator for this forum. Welcome to the moderators team.

Our Three Competitions
As announced before, we have had a few competitions on Asrai.org the last few months. Now the time has come to reveal the winners of all three.

Graphics Competition 2006!
The first competition was announced back in mid October – yes, I’m talking about the banner Competition. Despite the longer time to make an entry, we only got 4 submissions. From those four, the Staff took the decision to raise this banner to be the winner. Congratulations, Yak! As soon as we change our skin back the new banner will appear. Merry Christmas Yak, and the entire community!

I can put up the other banners, but only if the members who created them gives me their blessing to do so.

The Welcome Competition!
The second competition we hosted, was our Welcome Introduction Text Competition (never had a name until now ;)). We didn’t get as many submissions here as we had expected, but those we got were all very well written. After a tough choice, we selected Schmeag’s contribution!

” Welcome, child. I see that the Paths have guided you to this fair place. We of the Asrai are skilled in all arts; the art of war, the art of narration, the art of depiction and most importantly of all, the art of fellowship. Our cunning and stealth are unmatched in the Old World, and our wisdom all the more so. Athel Loren is our charge, just as we are its children; our combined struggle a battle of survival against a harsh world of cold machinery, callous debauchery and mindless bloodshed. Perhaps when the world is young again; when evil has departed; when the worldly troubles that hang on our doorstep are gone; perhaps then, we shall know peace. Until then, child, our duty is vigilance, and you would best remember that.”

Thanks to all who participated. It was very nice to read, and it made me very proud to hear such good words about the site. I think all the entries can be found in this thread.

Asrai.org Member of the Year Award!
Our last, and probably most prestigious competition was our Asrai.org Member of The Year Award (AMoTY)! At first, I have to confess I wanted to make the whole nomination and voting in the Staff Forum, but I was later convinced that such an award should be given by the community in some way. The best way is of course a public poll. The downside of that was of course the excitement of the unknown. All who has voted probably know who the winner will be, so it is with no surprise that I announce the winner of our first annual Asrai.org Member of the Year Award; Yak!

A big congratulation, Yak! A very prestigious award to win, won by the member who deserved it the most. The community of Asrai.org has spoken, and they said – with a 25% margin – Yak. However, I think all of our nominees are worthy of the prize. I know the community appreciates all of your work and enthusiasm across our forums! Merry Christmas Yak! And a merry Christmas to you all!!

Nagathi
The Spirit Keeper
Last edited by Naggie on 02 Feb 2007, 17:21, edited 2 times in total.
Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Foxtale »

Is it me, or did the colours become more muted? For some reason my eyes aren't rebelling against my head on this forum anymore. If it was you guys who changed it, cheers! :D
Mal: Do you want to run this ship?
Jayne: Yes
Mal: Well... you... can't.

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art
Schmeag
Out of Order

Post by Schmeag »

Congratulations NightKnight! Well-deserved, I would think. :nod:

Also, congratulations go to Yak for getting the AMoTY Award, although I think that Tethlis, NightKnight and KidA were all worthy of the award too [afterthought]and me :ninja: [/afterthought]. Likewise, the banner is excellent, and I particularly like the muted colours too. :wink: Of course, I think I'll have to wait a bit before I see it; for those who don't know, though, there's also a new Asrai.Org banner for the WarVault page (it was visible before this announcement though).

Other members must be commended and admired on their efforts for just participating in the various competitions (and spending all that time).

Now, onto the X-mas/New Year's Secret! :drool:

EDIT: Ooo! :eek: I'm green!
The Inspector
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Vampire Counts

Post by The Inspector »

Congratulations to everyone already mentioned above!

Merry Christmas
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

No, we haven't done anything to the skin. I think your eyes are getting used to the red :)

I'm having trouble getting the X-mas secret to work properly (the UploadPic thing). It seems as I can't auth everyone to use it. I can do it on a member-to-member basis though, so if you want to use it, send me a PM and I'll see if it works.

Nagathi
The Spirit Keeper
Deeon
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Deeon »

Merry x-mas! I'm really honoured to be part of this great community even so there is little I can contribute (if we don't count endless newb questions ;) ).

Congrats to all the winners and new mods!

But I must say that I miss old colors... It just doesnt feel (wood)elfish right now :smirk:
"Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning."
NightKnight
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by NightKnight »

Congrats to Schmeag and Yak! :) Well deserved, all of it. :)

Oh, and MERRY CHRISTMAS to all of you!
TerminusEst
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by TerminusEst »

Congratulations to new mods and winners of the competitions.

Merry Christmas!!!
LET ME TASTE YOUR FLESH

Vântu îl hrănea, apa-l îmbrăca, focu îl păzea, de pământ ferea.
The wind fed him, the water clothed him, the fire guarded him, the earth he guarded.
Schmeag
Out of Order

Post by Schmeag »

But I must say that I miss old colors... It just doesnt feel (wood)elfish right now
I suppose it's Nagathi's way of saying "Be happy with what you've got." :P I suspect there'll be few complaints about the normal skin for a while.
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

I still haven't decided when to remove this skin. It certainly won't happen for a few days, but I'm unsure whether or not to keep it over new years...

~ Nag
Deeon
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Deeon »

Or put the option so we can pick what skins to use. Right now no matter what option you select in progile it's always the same :)
"Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning."
Prince of Arnheim
Willow Warrior of Wascana
Armies I play: Dark Elves and Skaven

Post by Prince of Arnheim »

Merry Christmas to all the Warriors of Wascana for 2006.....

I hope everyone got lot's of precioussss thingssss under the trees of Athel Loren.....

I hope everyone has gorged on the Feasts of the Hunt!!!

Let 2007 be a great year of the Old Forest!!!

We attack in 2007!!
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

Deeon wrote:Or put the option so we can pick what skins to use. Right now no matter what option you select in progile it's always the same :)
That is done on purpose. I have over-ridden user preferences.

~ Nag
Schmeag
Out of Order

Post by Schmeag »

A Merry Christmas indeed--with a headache to go with it. :puke: :P
TerminusEst
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by TerminusEst »

Nagathi wrote:I still haven't decided when to remove this skin. It certainly won't happen for a few days, but I'm unsure whether or not to keep it over new years...
I don't think it would make sense to keep it that long.
LET ME TASTE YOUR FLESH

Vântu îl hrănea, apa-l îmbrăca, focu îl păzea, de pământ ferea.
The wind fed him, the water clothed him, the fire guarded him, the earth he guarded.
Deathjester
Painting Guru

Post by Deathjester »

After the 12 days of Christmas (6th of Jan it should be gone!)
Here's the jig, you don't have to agree with what i say, you can tell me that you don't... Just don't expect me to care.

Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

My original plan was to keep it until about a week after New years. 6th of Jan sounds just perfect!

~ Nag
Yak
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel

Post by Yak »

Gee, I... well for once I don't know what to say.

Thanks guys. Obviously tahnks to Nagi, Kul and Ithildir for creating and maintaining this site, but I should also thank all you members: this site is far more than any single member.

Congrats to the new staff as well: I have a feeling thatthistimenext year I'll becongratulating Schmeag on winnint the member of the year award. After all, this time last year I was a 'new' member who was just being promoted to Modhood. I've got to watch my back... Wow. Those skaven are caching...

Anyway, thanks again,and I hope you like the new banner. It's not too late for modifications tobe made, soif you have any suggestions, PM me.

Hope you all had a great crimbo and have suitably debauched new-years planned.
Yak's 1st Law: Take an eagle if you have a free rare slot
Yak's 2nd Law: There are 4 reasons to take a highborn
Yak's 3rd Law: If you have a treeman and a free Lord slot, make it an Ancient
Ecalsneerg
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Re: Merry Christmas 2006!

Post by Ecalsneerg »

Nagathi wrote: To start with, I’d like to apologise to all non-Christians on our forums for the enhanced Christmassy stuff without much attention to the festivities of other religions.
*resists political correctness ranting*

Anyway, congratulations to everyone, and hope you all had a merry christmas!
Graaargh!
Win/Draw/Loss Record
Ogres: 1/1/1
Deathjester
Painting Guru

Post by Deathjester »

I wouldn't worry, we've almost entered in to the next festive period of the year!

Winter-en-mas :)

It's a shame that only Ethan can wear the Winter-en-mas King's crown, but that's just the way it goes ;)
Here's the jig, you don't have to agree with what i say, you can tell me that you don't... Just don't expect me to care.

philleehellphia
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by philleehellphia »

A very late very Merry Christmas to everyone, and a very late Happy Boxing Day to everyoine in Canada!
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

It is now the last day of 2006 for me, and I finally got the UploadPic Feature to work!
A sticky in the P&M forum is posted, and the guide can be found [here]. I hope you like this present, albeit a tad late :)

~ Nag