Tuesday = Patchday

READ HERE BEFORE POSTING
The site's important and useful announcements and news will be posted here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Naggie
King of the Woods
Armies I play: Druchii and Asrai. Elves for the win!

Tuesday = Patchday

Post by Naggie »

Not much has been done this week, but things have started for an eventual update further ahead. These will remain secret until then, but things are on their way. Just hold tight :)

For this tuesday, the Admins and Moderators have changed names to more fluffy group names. Admins will henceforth be known as "Highborns" and Moderators will be known as "Nobles". The user icons on mods' and admins' sides have been updated. It doesn't matter what you call us, we just wanted better suited names.

Nagathi
The Sacred Sentinel
Ithildir Hawk-eye
The Wanderer
Armies I play: Dwarfs, Wood Elves

Post by Ithildir Hawk-eye »

It would be good if we actually started a following of people who referred to us as the Highborns and Nobles in the general conversation around the place.

You know...

"Can someone get a Highborn or Noble to close this topic, please?"
Co-founder

Dwarfs of Karak Kadrin
TerminusEst
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by TerminusEst »

Ithildir Hawk-eye wrote:"Can someone get a Highborn or Noble to close this topic, please?"
Why stop there? maybe something like :
"Can someone get a Highborn or Noble to slay this topic"

Anyway though I like the whole Noble/Highborn thing, maybe we can have more cool Asrai like names for the General Discussion and all those subsections of the forum, maybe even for the members themselves.
LET ME TASTE YOUR FLESH

Vântu îl hrănea, apa-l îmbrăca, focu îl păzea, de pământ ferea.
The wind fed him, the water clothed him, the fire guarded him, the earth he guarded.
Ithildir Hawk-eye
The Wanderer
Armies I play: Dwarfs, Wood Elves

Post by Ithildir Hawk-eye »

Haha, perhaps even "Lethal Shot this Topic" for close option. :P
Co-founder

Dwarfs of Karak Kadrin
V123
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by V123 »

eh, i guess its better for the admins now.... sorry highbornes, but what about the soul of this webstie....THE FANS, THE LOYAL FANS OF THIS BELOVED WEBSITE, i know if it wasnt for you we wouldent have this site, but if it wasnt for us then you woulded have a reason for this site. Maybe we should get names based on how many we they entered??

if thats an update your working on im looking forward to it and if not i beg of you to at least think about it

1-10 posts=noob,broken twig
10-20 posts = somewhat leathal child
20-40 posts = glade guard, dryad
and so on and so forth
help spread the peace... PLANT A SEED
Eldacar
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Eldacar »

1-10 posts=noob,broken twig
10-20 posts = somewhat leathal child
20-40 posts = glade guard, dryad
and so on and so forth
Ranks tend to inspire people to post a lot to get themselves to the next rank. More often than not, those posts are either meaningless one-liners or spam posts, and the bad outweighs the good in this case. So personally, I'm against titles based on how many posts you have. Quantity does not equal quality.
"I suspect the admiration is quietly mutual. I've observed the images that adorn the shields of your mightiest warriors and grace your standards. I think that when my kind are gone, you will miss us." ~Tinairath the Wind, Dragon
Johannes|
The Twilight Sisters
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Lizardmen, Chaos, Orcs

Post by Johannes| »

Eldacar wrote:Ranks tend to inspire people to post a lot to get themselves to the next rank. More often than not, those posts are either meaningless one-liners or spam posts, and the bad outweighs the good in this case. So personally, I'm against titles based on how many posts you have. Quantity does not equal quality.
What he said. I think it might even be a good idea to remove postcount at all.

I will think of something we can do for the members though.
Also known as Kul... once..
Ramesesis
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood elves & Empire at the moment

Post by Ramesesis »

Well, Ithink we should avoid titles based on post counts.

If members should have titles, I say they are allowed to choose from Glade guard, dryad, Eternal guard or Glade rider when they enlist.

To get others, you should do something. Either you get it via some sort of "karma" system, and it will be finally judged by admins and mods.
Or you can be active in some other way and supporting the site, outside the Mod and Admins stuff. Say working with the Grand project and get a title you have earned.

Another way is via contests.

No, I say we avoid a post count system.
Leafstalker wrote:Nothing more beautiful then seeing a massive Bret charge stall into the formed ranks of the Eternal Guard... my Highborn Ramesesis had to harden his heart as he dueled with the Bret Lords and cut them down.
Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Foxtale »

I think Asur.org and The Lost Glade have both done a system of 'kindred' member groups.

And not having post #s doesn't make someone instantly write better posts. It just makes everyone more apathetic to posting in general.
Mal: Do you want to run this ship?
Jayne: Yes
Mal: Well... you... can't.

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art
TerminusEst
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by TerminusEst »

Titles don't have to be based on post count, they could be about personality or member chosen or something but I trust the judgement of the Highborns and Nobles.
Last edited by TerminusEst on 02 Nov 2006, 00:59, edited 1 time in total.
LET ME TASTE YOUR FLESH

The wind fed him, the water clothed him, the fire guarded him, the earth he guarded.
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

Ranks will not happen. The only thing I can do is to have every "regular" member have a preset rank that will not change depending on post count. Members get custom titles a bit now and then, mostly from competitions as things are right now.

Removing post count overall could be good. I'll let Kul look into that. However, that will be a pretty big decision to make.

Nagathi
The Sacred Sentinel
Prince of Arnheim
Willow Warrior of Wascana
Armies I play: Dark Elves and Skaven

Post by Prince of Arnheim »

As much as I would dislike having my post count removed I think it would encourage the fellow members to put a little more effort and thought into their posts.....it discourage the typical spammers....

I know I have done it a few times myself...for some reason....

tutut_bad

I also feel negatively about the rank system as it only encourages massive usless posts to try and achieve higher ranks....

If a member really stands out then they should be awarded a special title as has been done before... ;)
Ecalsneerg
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Ecalsneerg »

On IF forums, you can set your OWN custom title. Would that work here? Everyone is equal, everyone gets a flashy title, no arguing and spamming.
Graaargh!
Win/Draw/Loss Record
Ogres: 1/1/1
Highborn Sycath
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Highborn Sycath »

errr theres something wrong with the highborn buttons.. they have a weird darkgreen border around them.
http://s14.invisionfree.com/The_Lost_Glade/
the lost glade, we're like... the bar you go to after work. We relax and have a bunch of contests and fun atmosphere, while still being a touch serious
V123
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by V123 »

lol i got my hopes up, but anyways rankes on personality would be a cool idea...
Eldacar
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Eldacar »

And who's going to be in charge of the rankings? What if you disagree with the way people are ranked? How can you honestly judge who has a better personality? The slightly cold person who contributes a lot in the way of rules and tactics? Or the happy and friendly person who does practically nothing but spam?

[/pointed questions about ranking systems]
On IF forums, you can set your OWN custom title. Would that work here? Everyone is equal, everyone gets a flashy title, no arguing and spamming.
Actually, not all Invisionfree forums let you set your own custom title.
"I suspect the admiration is quietly mutual. I've observed the images that adorn the shields of your mightiest warriors and grace your standards. I think that when my kind are gone, you will miss us." ~Tinairath the Wind, Dragon
Foxtale
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Foxtale »

Setting your own title is mainly VBulletin, isn't it?

Usually with the personality rankings you'd put one person in charge of taking down people's requests for ranking and updating it in the AdminCP. And humourous personality rankings are usually the way. Not "cold, heartless, happy, kind" but "kooky, paintfrenzy, innocent, helpful, dark and mysterious, evil".
Mal: Do you want to run this ship?
Jayne: Yes
Mal: Well... you... can't.

Links
My Painting Diary
My Deviant Art
V123
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by V123 »

Eldacar wrote ==(((((And who's going to be in charge of the rankings? What if you disagree with the way people are ranked? How can you honestly judge who has a better personality? The slightly cold person who contributes a lot in the way of rules and tactics? Or the happy and friendly person who does practically nothing but spam?)))))

well eldacar if you realy thinked about it the guys whos happy and spams wouldent get the title jimmy master of knowledge, no hes gonna be called jimmy the noob spammer, i would say the system would be based on how you act, and what the forum you stay the most in. Like for example a guy named tom loves talking about painting and he has a posative atitude he can have a selection from a bunch of names like, tim the artist of a thousand winters or somethign like that i dunno dpends on what the highbornes come up with.
Eldacar
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Eldacar »

Setting your own title is mainly VBulletin, isn't it?
VBulletin uses php code. Forums like this one can get "set your own title", though, if the person coding it knows what they're doing.

@V123: You can quote by using the quote tags. As to the point, calling them "jimmy the noob spammer" can be seen as abuse on the part of the person setting the ranks (you wouldn't want to be labeled as that, would you?), while "master of knowledge" clearly implies that the person/admin thinks that they are above everybody else - favouritism, in other words.

Bottom line is, each ranking system has a set of bonuses and flaws. For example, the flaw in the "no ranks except for people who win awards and mods/admins" is that it can be looked on as elitist.
Ramesesis
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood elves & Empire at the moment

Post by Ramesesis »

Well, a rank system is difficult. But it is also fun.

I try and make my suggestions clear

A normal member get the titles:
Glade guard, Glade rider, Eternal guard, scout or dryad, chosen by themselves, but maybe using the alternative kindred names.

A person who wins an AoD will get to boast the Wardancer kindred in his sign.

A mod can have Waywatcher kindred or Wind rider kindred, since they are supposed to scout the threads and "guard" them.

Admins would be able to choose any kindred, butwhy not say someone is Alter kindred.

A longtime member could get the Treeman ancient as a honorary title.

I do not think we should have such things as noob, spammer, All knowing or such. Stick to asrai lore for titles and follow that as much as possible when titles are set.

And then we could do another thing, we could have something like the Ulthuan award. That would be a good way of getting earned titles. Say, instead of being an Glade guard, by winning one award, you can become Lord´s Bowman for example.
Leafstalker wrote:Nothing more beautiful then seeing a massive Bret charge stall into the formed ranks of the Eternal Guard... my Highborn Ramesesis had to harden his heart as he dueled with the Bret Lords and cut them down.
Eldacar
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Eldacar »

A longtime member could get the Treeman ancient as a honorary title.
"Longtime member" is ambiguous. Especially since this site hasn't been around for all that long.
Nevermore
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

remark

Post by Nevermore »

Since you are improving the site there is a problem that could probably be solved easily. I think what I am writing is true, if not, sorry, my mistake. In polls if you do not check anything (any option viable) but press "submit vote" only, the poll doesn't count your answer per se, but it does go to the total. So, it is possible that percentages of each answer summed up don't count as 100%.
Naggie
King of the Woods

Re: remark

Post by Naggie »

Nevermore wrote:Since you are improving the site there is a problem that could probably be solved easily. I think what I am writing is true, if not, sorry, my mistake. In polls if you do not check anything (any option viable) but press "submit vote" only, the poll doesn't count your answer per se, but it does go to the total. So, it is possible that percentages of each answer summed up don't count as 100%.
The percentages in polls are rounded off. Sometimes, they doesn't add up exactly, but they are usually not far off. I do not know what happens if you enter a blank vote though. Needs investigation :)

And for the topic, ranks will stay as they are now. Members who deserve a custom title will receive one. Admin decide who deserves one. Admins and Mos get it, and most competition winners. Even others may get a title, but that's a bit more rare.

Nagathi
The Sacred Setinel
TerminusEst
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by TerminusEst »

Nagathi wrote:Not much has been done this week, but things have started for an eventual update further ahead. These will remain secret until then, but things are on their way. Just hold tight
Can we at least get a hint? :angel:
LET ME TASTE YOUR FLESH

Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

That would spoil all the fun of the surprise. The only thing I can say is that it will be revealed before new years...

Nagathi
The Sacred Sentinel