New Fiction Contest

READ HERE BEFORE POSTING
The site's important and useful announcements and news will be posted here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Shadow
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

New Fiction Contest

Post by Shadow »

Since its been a while since there was a fiction contest on Asrai I'm thinking of running another one.

I haven't decided on anything definite yet because I want to see how many people would actually be interested in taking part.

However the rules will probably be along these lines:

Word Limits:
Min 750 words
Max 5000 words

Setting: Anything GW, ie 40K, Warhammer, Quest, Mordhiem, you get the idea, doesn't just have to be about WE.

So could anyone interested please make a post here, it doesn't mean you've signed yourself up or anything like that, its just to give me an idea of possible numbers.

Cheers
Check out my story HERE

"I see a time of darkness, I see a night that never ends, a morning that never comes, I see the northern gate open: I see the end of all things. I see the coming of Chaos"
Eldacar
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Eldacar »

Anything? Even stories that we've already written?

Oh, and Darmort tried to run one of these - it didn't work out all that well, unfortunately.
"I suspect the admiration is quietly mutual. I've observed the images that adorn the shields of your mightiest warriors and grace your standards. I think that when my kind are gone, you will miss us." ~Tinairath the Wind, Dragon
Shadow
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Shadow »

Anything?
Within reason, (use your common sense here) and so long as its set within either the Warhammer of 40K universe.
Even stories that we've already written?
The idea is to get people writing more stories not just reusing ones they've already written, but if you've run out of ideas for good stories Eldacar then I see no problem with you reusing one of your old ones.

And if there's isn't a huge response here I've ok'd it with Ithildir to invite some good writers I know from other sites who love nothing better than fiction competitions to join in.
Check out my story HERE

"I see a time of darkness, I see a night that never ends, a morning that never comes, I see the northern gate open: I see the end of all things. I see the coming of Chaos"
Eldacar
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Eldacar »

but if you've run out of ideas for good stories Eldacar
I have ideas, just not the time to do anything with them (plus, quite a few of the ideas are for the upcoming Asur.org online campaign, and as such won't be shown).
"I suspect the admiration is quietly mutual. I've observed the images that adorn the shields of your mightiest warriors and grace your standards. I think that when my kind are gone, you will miss us." ~Tinairath the Wind, Dragon
Shadow
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Shadow »

Fair play, I'll leave it to you anyways, if you don't have time to write anything then feel free to submit something older so long as it complies with the reg's of the competition when I've set them out.
Check out my story HERE

Yak
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel

Post by Yak »

Well I'll try to knock something up, time permitting. There was an idea I was working on while ago...
Yak's 1st Law: Take an eagle if you have a free rare slot
Yak's 2nd Law: There are 4 reasons to take a highborn
Yak's 3rd Law: If you have a treeman and a free Lord slot, make it an Ancient
Upyr
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: None. But hopefully soon: Tomb Kings / Necron.

Post by Upyr »

Its not like I have time right now, but when I get home (2 weeks) I will have. As you said, im not signing up, just saying im interested :)
"There is no shame in defeat as long as the spirit remains unconquered"
/Praetor Fenix

Dogs of War forum, come join us!
http://s10.invisionfree.com/Inquisition_De_Cobre
Ithildir Hawk-eye
The Wanderer
Armies I play: Dwarfs, Wood Elves

Post by Ithildir Hawk-eye »

I should have some spare time on my hands, so yeah you may be seeing some work from me.
Co-founder

Dwarfs of Karak Kadrin
Shadow
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Shadow »

Well considering the promising response here and the interest shown by other people I've asked about it I am going to run a fiction competition. I've got finalise the rules and sort out an exact deadline to fit in with me going back to uni but I should post the new thread up in the Fluff Forum within the next couple of days.

Note: Just because you haven't posted here signifying interest doesn't mean you can't participate or anything like that!

NOTE: Fiction Competition is now up and running I've posted up the thread in the Fluff Forum now so anyone interested go there now:
http://www.woodelves.org/viewtopic.php?t=4709
Check out my story HERE

Galbraith Highborn
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Galbraith Highborn »

Hi first time on this forum (also first time in the woodland world - just getting into the forest folk) just letting you know there will be one more entry for the competition.
who walks aloft, walks alone
Shadow
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Shadow »

Welcome to Asrai.org mate. HERE is the link to the fiction competition thread and look forward to seeing you entry!
Check out my story HERE

Shadow
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Shadow »

Just a reminder that the competition will be closing on the 16th of October. If anyone needs a deadline extension because of coursework or RL getting in the way please PM me within the next couple of days.

Cheers
Check out my story HERE

Schmeag
Out of Order

Post by Schmeag »

With the recent changes due to Moderator inactivity, I have now decided to take up the slack. Any stories which meet the criteria can be PMed to me now (and I won't be participating, unfortunately :tear: ).

Prizes will revolve around something like a Custom Title and possibly an entrance of the winner's name into a soon-to-be-created Hall of Fame. Hopefully, if the member interest is high enough, there'll be more stuff to come.

I have extended the deadline to the 1st of February 2007, to allow for those on vacation to return and PM me their stories and for those who have newly come to fashion their own.
Ramesesis
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood elves & Empire at the moment

Post by Ramesesis »

Sure, I will see what I can do...
Leafstalker wrote:Nothing more beautiful then seeing a massive Bret charge stall into the formed ranks of the Eternal Guard... my Highborn Ramesesis had to harden his heart as he dueled with the Bret Lords and cut them down.
Schmeag
Out of Order

Post by Schmeag »

There's approximately half a month left before entries are due, and I've only got one entry. Quickly now, papa Schmeag doesn't want to be kept waiting.

Seriously though, it's not that hard to write up a fiction article; you can even 'recycle' previous works, from what I recall Shadow saying.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

ok well Schmeag seeing as i only just seem to have noticed this (?!?!?!) i'll try and rustle something up, i've got a bit of time on my hands now most of my uni exams are out of the way!

expect a PM sometime before Feb!!
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Schmeag
Out of Order

Post by Schmeag »

Awesome. I'm looking forward to reading it. :)
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

:smirk: thats if i can write it in time!!
Schmeag
Out of Order

Post by Schmeag »

I'm sure you can. If not, there's always the possibility of an extension.
Schmeag
Out of Order

Post by Schmeag »

In fact, there is an extension. :wink: I'm extending it to 16th February, 2007, as I'll be away for two weeks and I'll probably need to catch up with school when I get back, and perhaps address potential unforeseen problems.
Schmeag
Out of Order

Post by Schmeag »

Oh yeah, the Minimum Word Limit is 500. Shadow contradicted himself with the other thread, apparently. <_< Sorry for the inconvenience caused, and thanks to Beithir Seun for pointing that out.
Schmeag
Out of Order

Post by Schmeag »

One week to go. Still don't have too many entries.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

I'm working on it! You'll probably get my entry late on the night of the 15th!! :D It's not coming along too fast at the moment :roll:
Schmeag
Out of Order

Post by Schmeag »

One week to go. Still don't have too many entries.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

Double-posting Schmeag! Tut tut, from a Mod as well.....:roll: :wink: