New Fiction Contest

READ HERE BEFORE POSTING
The site's important and useful announcements and news will be posted here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Greymantle
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Greymantle »

can we use inspiration for non GW themes? like D&D and the like?
ΥΠΟ ΣΚΙΗ
ancent greek meanning "under the shadow"
-- of arrows --
quoted by one of Leonidas' 300 before the Battle of Thermopylae when a local villager informed him about the huge number of Persian archers.
Schmeag
Out of Order

Post by Schmeag »

More like quadruple posting... :sexy:
can we use inspiration for non GW themes? like D&D and the like?
If you mean writing on the non-GW fiction, sorry but the competition GW-oriented (as we're a GW-related site). If you mean taking something like Delayed Fireball and adding something similar in your story, by all means, go ahead. :nod: Not exactly sure what you mean though. :confused:
Greymantle
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Greymantle »

i would like to incorporate elements from D&D or other fantasy settings in a story about Wood Elves in Warhammer World.

IMO Warhammer Fantasy backgroung is rather weak compared to 40K
ΥΠΟ ΣΚΙΗ
-- of arrows --
quoted by one of Leonidas' 300 before the Battle of Thermopylae when a local villager informed him about the huge number of Persian archers.
Eldacar
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Eldacar »

IMO Warhammer Fantasy backgroung is rather weak compared to 40K
I've noticed people saying this before. Why, exactly?
"I suspect the admiration is quietly mutual. I've observed the images that adorn the shields of your mightiest warriors and grace your standards. I think that when my kind are gone, you will miss us." ~Tinairath the Wind, Dragon
Schmeag
Out of Order

Post by Schmeag »

i would like to incorporate elements from D&D or other fantasy settings in a story about Wood Elves in Warhammer World.
As long as it doesn't include anything specifically D&D like the land of Faerun somewhere. ;)
Greymantle
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Greymantle »

to eldacar:

a simple answer to WF poor background is wikipedia.

if you search for WF you'll get about 1 page for each race + 1 page for the world

if you search for 40k you'll get about 3 pages for each army plus dozens of pages for special characters, history, weapons technology.

try this and you'll see what i mean
ΥΠΟ ΣΚΙΗ
-- of arrows --
Schmeag
Out of Order

Post by Schmeag »

I suppose WH Fantasy background is equally diverse, just perhaps a little more obscure.
Eldacar
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Eldacar »

Greymantle wrote:to eldacar:

a simple answer to WF poor background is wikipedia.

if you search for WF you'll get about 1 page for each race + 1 page for the world

if you search for 40k you'll get about 3 pages for each army plus dozens of pages for special characters, history, weapons technology.

try this and you'll see what i mean
Using Wikipedia as a reason for thinking WH background isn't diverse = lose. It's an online encyclopedia. If you want to read more about the WH world, then that certainly isn't the place to look.
"I suspect the admiration is quietly mutual. I've observed the images that adorn the shields of your mightiest warriors and grace your standards. I think that when my kind are gone, you will miss us." ~Tinairath the Wind, Dragon
Greymantle
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Greymantle »

i know that wikipedia is not a perfect example, but IMO is measure to compare WF and 40K diversity.

i am a WF fun althought i have collected 40K also, and i would like more depth in WF background.

maybe a more dark and sinister look.

i have to admit that WE present edition is very different than the previous one.

WE are presented as wild folks spreading terror to the bretonnians during the wild hunt
ΥΠΟ ΣΚΙΗ
-- of arrows --
Avaris
Weaver of Words

Post by Avaris »

Well I've written my entry, and I'll pm it to Schmeag. Will you be posting all the entries when you declare the winner?
Eldacar
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Eldacar »

i know that wikipedia is not a perfect example, but IMO is measure to compare WF and 40K diversity.
Not really. Wikipedia is only as good as those who write articles for it. You can't use it as an accurate measure of depth and diversity.
Schmeag
Out of Order

Post by Schmeag »

Well I've written my entry, and I'll pm it to Schmeag. Will you be posting all the entries when you declare the winner?
Yes, unless I'm specifically requested not to do so. Contrary to what I said in the counterpart thread in the Fluff and Fiction forum, this will be the third entry.
Schmeag
Out of Order

Post by Schmeag »

The fiction competition has now officially (and should I say finally?) ended.