Posting Problems

READ HERE BEFORE POSTING
The site's important and useful announcements and news will be posted here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Naggie
King of the Woods
Armies I play: Druchii and Asrai. Elves for the win!

Posting Problems

Post by Naggie »

The admins and mods are fully aware of the posting problems the site is having. It is a problem with our external spam protection software that has gone haywire. The technical personnel (me and godswearhats) are working on a solution. There is no need to fill our PM inboxes or mail inboxes with more noticies about this error. We know of the issue, and we're working on it.

~ Naggie
Naggie
King of the Woods

Re: Posting Problems

Post by Naggie »

The issue should now be resolved. Me and the rest oif the Council of Elders will be keeping a close eye on the activity on the forum for the next few days. Let me know if you're still getting errors. And let me know by posting in this thread :)

~ Naggie
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: All kind of Elves.

Post by NonnoSte »

Hi,
Thanks for the info.
Out of curiosity, is it possible to know a bit more in depth what the problem was?

Sometimes it happens that I find my IP blacklisted when I try to post through the connection at work.
How can I recognise if that problem comes just from my connection or it's something different?
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

The problem was that our external IP lookup system had decided to block everything. I have uninstalled it and installed a different anti-spam software. This should solve the problem people had.

~ Naggie
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

Activity has gone up, a lot. The new system seems to be working. Yay!

~ Naggie
Noble Korhedron
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Empire, Orcs & Goblins, Dwarfs, "Codex" Marines, Orks

Temp Topic

Post by Noble Korhedron »

Well this's me responding with it so it seems to work. I'm still having my ISP blocked when I login via my laptop though. [emoji17]
Regards,
NK.
Naggie
King of the Woods

Re: Tapatalk Updates

Post by Naggie »

When did you last try to log in via your laptop, NK? I removed the block software two days ago.

~ Naggie
Noble Korhedron
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Tried posting this as a test. If you see this you'll know it worked.... ;)
Regards,
NK.
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

It sure does work :)

~ Naggie
Noble Korhedron
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Naggie wrote:It sure does work :)

~ Naggie
Thanks! I do appreciate why you had the blocking in the first place, the problem was I'm nowhere near technical enough to understand the stuff in that link you sent via PM, so I can't really figure out exactly why mine in particular was blocked, even when I was logged in. Could my using mobile broadband have anything to do with it, or do home wi-fi's also generate a random IP address every time they connect.... :question:
Regards,
NK.
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

Usually, mobile networks (3G, 4G, Edge and the like) does not verify you as a user. Hence, people can do almost anything and get away with it. That's why such networks are used by spam bots, since they can't be linked to a person. That's why such networks were often blocked by our previous software. Home networks are far safer, but even there it can flag you as a spam user.

What happened for us was that one of our blacklists malfunctioned and treated everything as spam. Whenever our site sent a question to that list asking "Is this IP a spammer?" the automatic response was always (100% always) "Yes, that is a spammer." The system was giving false positives on every request. The system had to go. So I uninstalled it.

~ Naggie
Noble Korhedron
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Naggie wrote:Usually, mobile networks (3G, 4G, Edge and the like) does not verify you as a user. Hence, people can do almost anything and get away with it. That's why such networks are used by spam bots, since they can't be linked to a person. That's why such networks were often blocked by our previous software. Home networks are far safer, but even there it can flag you as a spam user.

What happened for us was that one of our blacklists malfunctioned and treated everything as spam. Whenever our site sent a question to that list asking "Is this IP a spammer?" the automatic response was always (100% always) "Yes, that is a spammer." The system was giving false positives on every request. The system had to go. So I uninstalled it.

~ Naggie
Well, it's still good to know I wasn't being given special treatment. BTW, have you asked Orion what he thinks about your title? :wink:
Regards,
NK.