Member of the Year Award

READ HERE BEFORE POSTING
The site's important and useful announcements and news will be posted here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Naggie
King of the Woods
Armies I play: Druchii and Asrai. Elves for the win!

Member of the Year Award

Post by Naggie »

The voting has ended. The ballots have closed and the results are in. And something very special has happened.

But first I want to express my concerns about the participation in the voting. With over 5100 members, we still only managed to get in 37 votes. That's 0.72% participation! I don't really know what happened, but I will gladly take any and all suggestions as for how to improve the PR for this very prestigious award. I have seen a general drop of activity on the site, from 32099 visitors in July, to 19375 visitors in December. I feel it may be my fault, as my own involvement has dropped similarilly to the drop in activity of the entire site. Is there something we in the Council of Elders can do to make the site more attractive? Or do we just need to wait for the new armybook before people will resume their Asrai modelling and playing?

But back to the Member of the Year Award, The MotY Award. With the votes counted, it was clear who will win. With a decent marginal, the Member of the Year 2010 is... BEITHIR SEUN! A big congratulations to you, Beihtir!
In fact, this is the first time in Asrai.org's history a member wins the MotY Award two years in a row! That's an impressive feat!

~ Naggie
Gildesh
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: woodies and gobbos

Re: Member of the Year Award

Post by Gildesh »

wel let me be the first to congratulate bieth for his wel deserved award.
also to you naggie do not feel down about the decrease in activity this site always will be at the forefront of wood elf discussion i fear that the drop may be due to the current lack of sucess many seem to be having with woodies this edition and this will soon change when we get a new book and this is in no way a reflection upon you or your wel presented and wel run site i just hope you can keep up the good work
Salamander
Campaign Team
Armies I play: Wood elves, Imperial Guard

Post by Salamander »

Woodies are just a very one sided army to some these days, so they don't play them anymore..

A shame really...
Mist Walker
Campaign Team
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Slaanesh WoC

Post by Mist Walker »

Congrats to Beithir, you still deserve the award :)

And in regards to the voting turnout. How many active users do we have? I don't know how easy to work out it is but I expect that at least half the site's frequently active users voted. The activity'll skyrocket when we get a new book :smirk:
Blood runs, Anger rises, Death wakes, War calls
The Virgin Forest
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: WoC, WE and VC and working on 40K DH

Post by The Virgin Forest »

Congrats to Beithir, its well deserved :nod:

I too attribute the declining activity to the woodies lack of compatibility with 8th. I myself had just started a darkie army when 8th hit, and they just stole the spotlight - new toy syndrome - while both my woodies and vamps got a rest.

Also I've lost interest in playing the woodies in 8th, as the guerilla tactics of the past have been shelved in favor of a rather bland 'life buffed forest spirits' approach, and the wardancers, waywatchers and wild riders that caught my fancy has fallen behind.

My guess is that we will see a further loss in trafic, as the woodies drift even more out of focus with upcoming books, but IMO asrai.org is still the best environment to discuss Warhammer in general and wood elves in particular.

- also I'm slowly seeing an end to the Dark Elf project and looking forward to once again devoting some time to make the wood elf guerillas work :ninja:
– it is said that the apples of Athel Loren gain their deep red hue from the blood of its enemies soaking the ground.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Thanks one and all. I was really hoping someone else would win this year - I don't feel like I've done all that much to deserve it.

As for the declining activity, I too would say it is due to the relative difficulty/blandness of playing Wood Elves in 8th Edition. A lot of what made Wood Elves interesting for most people (i.e. the asymetrical warfare aspect) has been lost in the new rules, and people are still struggling to come to terms with this. Also, the advantages that other armies have gained (as TVF pointed out with Dark Elves) make them more interesting, so people are inclined to pick up old armies that work better and drop armies that no longer work as they used to.
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Baardah
Former Council Member
Armies I play: WE, Dwarf, HE, Skaven, VC, O&G

Post by Baardah »

Congratualtions on a well deserved award Beithir.

Me too believe that the drop in activity is due to the difficulties WE meet in 8th. I don't however think we have to wait until the new book before we see an increase in activity. I expect a second wave of plastic kits to be released before a book so I think a little upward in the statistics will be seen then.

I for one wil always turn to this site to ask about anything warhammer really. No other site, and I have registered on a few, give faster and more axcurated answers/ discussions than the active members of asrai.org.
After eighth I have started collecting both skaven, high elves and kept adding to my dwarves and wod elves. I expect to be caught on the green wagontrain when the O&Gcome out as well, but with any army I'll head to the outer fields for answers and I have no doubt I'll get them.

What I like best though is the monthly contests. Great fun :)

Thanks for a great site :)
My summer night wood elves
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.
That item would be in every list.

That item is a horse...
Asrai Master
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves (obviously) and I have at least briefly considered playing nearly every army in Warhammer

Post by Asrai Master »

I would just like to say that, as I am extremely new to the site I have not really had long enough to observe who does what. That is why I didn't vote. I have however noticed that Frimbleglim is always giving good advice, but well done Beihtir all the same.
Ramesesis
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood elves & Empire at the moment

Post by Ramesesis »

Not strange, considering Beithir is Beithir! He is worth it!
Leafstalker wrote:Nothing more beautiful then seeing a massive Bret charge stall into the formed ranks of the Eternal Guard... my Highborn Ramesesis had to harden his heart as he dueled with the Bret Lords and cut them down.
Scion of Fangor
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Scion of Fangor »

Congrats Beithir, well deserved :D
Join the Furnace, a community dedicated to creating a free living rulebook for Fantasy, Sci-Fi and historical tabletop wargaming. It will be downloadable e-book from. All comers welcome!

Our Forum: http://thefurnace.webs.com/
Our Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Furnace-G ... 7413941829
Malkrit
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Malkrit »

Congrats, Beithir! You deserve it!

At the activity problems, I read the forums everyday and log in and post something when I see something interesting.
I'm not really the guy of making threads.
And as the activity goes, some lurkers like me also leave.

I also suffer from the "new toy syndrom" with my skaven (bought them when they were released,
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

One more congrat to Beithir is on the way!
Hey Beith, you have it! Congratulations to you, you deserve it!

And, anyway, to the Nagiies question. Decreased activity. I do not think it is the "8th WE problem." I believe it is the "8th ed problem."
Many good and long-time players I know do not play WFB atm. Why? They do not like 8th ed. Most of them have les that 10 or 15 battles in this edition. Only small percentage of them have actualy grasp with 8th ed in terms of new strategies and new army building and so on. But they still do nto like it. Why? I have a theory - it is because 8th ed is very similar to 7th ed at the 1st glance, but very different at the 2nd one. And the fact that most people where expecting something completely different. Now, they play very similar game to what they where playing for last 10 years, but everyxthing they know about this game is obsolete at the some time. Oldstrategies - usseles. Old tricks - useless. Old rosters - useless. So, they stop playing.
And this is, what I believe happens with this site.
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
Frimbleglim
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Vampire Counts, Eldar

Post by Frimbleglim »

I agree with unicorn. It is a problem with 8th eddition. I'm not that keen on it myself. I liked warhammer because the game was about manoeuvring and moral. Now much of this has gone.
Elf-light, bat-light,
Touchwood-light and toad-light,
And the sea a shimmering gloom of grey,
And a small face smiling
In a dream's beguiling
In a world of wonders far away.
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Frimbleglim wrote:I agree with unicorn. It is a problem with 8th eddition. I'm not that keen on it myself. I liked warhammer because the game was about manoeuvring and moral. Now much of this has gone.
Personally, I highly disagree. One week ago, I ended 2nd on a tournament with WE, and only one stupid "HIT" shot (and then 7 wounds on 4+) from mortar was what cost me 1st place. The guy who was 1st I defeated 17:3.
And all the games I won there was won because of careful maneuvering. Yes - the maneuvering is FAR different from 7th edition. But it is still damn a lot important. You can still win the battles because of dominating movement phase.
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
Elennare1
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Elennare1 »

Well, I didn't vote because as a fairly new person here, I don't really know anyone. *shrug*

Also, I mostly read threads here and there, because I'm still working on learning the rules, let alone what the army can do. So, most of the stuff talked about isn't all that helpful to me yet. I don't really know enough to know what questions to ask, at this point. I'm sure I'll get more involved once I learn the game better.
Exarch
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Warriors of Chaos, Craftworld Alaitoc, Sisters of Sigmar, the Possessed

Post by Exarch »

Congrats Beithir! :)

It's weird the activity has dropped so much. Here people can still get decent comments. The quality of comments is higher than in some other WE related forums I've visited (e.g. "Wood Elves got nerfed in 8th - btw Wild Riders suck! :mad: ).
Athel Loren. Where deployment zones are never too crowded!
Frimbleglim
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Frimbleglim »

unicorn wrote:
Frimbleglim wrote:I agree with unicorn. It is a problem with 8th eddition. I'm not that keen on it myself. I liked warhammer because the game was about manoeuvring and moral. Now much of this has gone.
Personally, I highly disagree. One week ago, I ended 2nd on a tournament with WE, and only one stupid "HIT" shot (and then 7 wounds on 4+) from mortar was what cost me 1st place. The guy who was 1st I defeated 17:3.
And all the games I won there was won because of careful maneuvering. Yes - the maneuvering is FAR different from 7th edition. But it is still damn a lot important. You can still win the battles because of dominating movement phase.
But was this the tournament that did not allow conventional tournament cut-throat tactics and unbalanced army lists?
Elf-light, bat-light,
And a small face smiling
In a dream's beguiling
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Frimbleglim wrote:But was this the tournament that did not allow conventional tournament cut-throat tactics and unbalanced army lists?
Cut-throat tactics where allowed, if they where within the rules. Unbalanced army lists not.
Still, my WE roster was considered to be one of the weaker ones there (from my opponents, 2 have regular tournament rosters (Empire and Orcs), and one have extremely funny roster with very low competetivity (DE)).
Painted
Finished
Frimbleglim
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Frimbleglim »

unicorn wrote:
Frimbleglim wrote:But was this the tournament that did not allow conventional tournament cut-throat tactics and unbalanced army lists?
Cut-throat tactics where allowed, if they where within the rules. Unbalanced army lists not.
Still, my WE roster was considered to be one of the weaker ones there (from my opponents, 2 have regular tournament rosters (Empire and Orcs), and one have extremely funny roster with very low competetivity (DE)).
I can see a tournement like that being fun but it is a long way from the kind of games that are played in my area.

Lets just say that a vampire counts army with the maximum number of vampire with forbidden lore (so that you can kill your own zombies with the purple sun for more power dice half way through the magic phase and cast every broken combo in the book) is considered a valid and not unsporting option.

PS. Congratulations to Beithir Seun! :) Nealy forgot.
Elf-light, bat-light,
And a small face smiling
In a dream's beguiling
mabelode
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by mabelode »

Congrats Beithir, well deserved :nod: .
Maniac2
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Maniac2 »

Congrats from another "lurker" :ninja:
All people reading this are some kind of maniac. So why bother picking another name :-)
whitepaw
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by whitepaw »

Congratulations on winning beithir well done :thumbsup:
Tuhis
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tomb Kings

Post by Tuhis »