Asrai.org Member of the Year Award 2009 Voting!

READ HERE BEFORE POSTING
The site's important and useful announcements and news will be posted here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Member of the Year

ArchMagosAlchemys
13%
Beithir Seun
26%
Craig
No votes
Deepwood
No votes
Hyarion
No votes
Liesmith
2%
Nagathi
4%
Ramesesis
2%
Shiodome
2%
steinerp
2%
Strongbow
No votes
t12161991
2%
Tethlis
11%
The Golden Arrow
No votes
The Virgin Forest
15%
Tuhis
4%
Unicorn
15%

Total votes: 46

Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Asrai.org Member of the Year Award 2009 Voting!

Post by Beithir Seun »

The nominations are now in so it's time to vote!

We've had 17 nominations, so go ahead and vote for the one you think should win this year's Member of the Year Award!.

Voting will now end on Thursday 31st December
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
unicorn
Walking Rulebook
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Re: Asrai.org Member of the Year Award 2009 Voting!

Post by unicorn »

I believe that most members missed this nominating/voting thing completely. Just take a look at the "view" count - and only I have done at least 4 out of that 85!
I do not know how for others, but for me the "Announcements" header of each form part is nothing else that disturbing and necessary header, not that different for commercials. They are (nearly) still the some, nothing changed, no new posts. I ignore them automatically and completely. Even about the "member of the year" thing I learned not thorough "announcements", but by accident while tracking the list of changes after forum restart.
I believe that things like thins deserved more attention than this; and I believe that moderator PM, send to all users, will be good, useful and respectable way how to point out this thing - as well as any similar things in the future. So, I am asking if such mass PM will be possible and if you - Elder ones - agree with such procedure?
:sexy:
Unicorn's conversions (updated 1st Jun)
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

It would be practically impossible for me to send a mass PM to all our members. The fact that people miss this topic is, unfortunately, their own fault - this is the most noticeable way of making sure people know about things. Announcements are posted in all forums, rather than just one, and it is immediately noticeable on the Portal page as well. Unless Naggie has a few tricks up his sleeve, this is as noticeable as it's going to get I'm afraid.
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Beithir Seun wrote:The fact that people miss this topic is, unfortunately, their own fault - this is the most noticeable way of making sure people know about things.
Well, I will slightly disagree at this point
There ALWAYS are several annoucements. Not only one, but more of them. They are sticked and unremoved for LOOONG time, in some cases even for years, with no new posts for many months. It is really hard to "keep an eye" upon then, as in most cases they really are nothing else that the disturbing space between head of the page and the topics I am looking for. If there will usually be none, and sometimes - if it is actual - one, it will be easy to recognize it.
Also, it does not help the number of sticked thread we have in many parts of this forum. I do not have small monitor, but I need to scroll down the page to see the unsitcked topics I am looking for - what I am doing completely automatically after the year(s) here. In the result it means that I have really slim chance to recognize new "announcement" topic.

I do not wish to say rude, and I do not wish to say that there is anything wrong. I am just trying to say that (and why) the announcements are really hard-to-spot things, and if they are the most noticeable way how to announce things to Asrais, it is shame. I am afraid even many regulars, who will like to know (for example) about the Member of the Year award and to contribute or vote in it, will miss that completely.
Painted
BSB, mounted noble, WD noble, Branchie, Alter, Treeman, 12 WR, 10 WD, 10 GR, 10 WW, 5 Dryads, 5 WhR, 6 Tk, Altar of Khaine
Finished
Treeman, 10 WD, dragon lord, Alter, 9 WhR, 5 GR, DE sin, OK Butcher, Beast heroes x5
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

I have to disagree. The announcements occupy the top-centre of the Portal page for everyone and they are at the top of every forum, plus it is very easy to see where the new posts are because they flash up yellow. If there are new posts in a topic that you have not read, they are easily distinguishable from the old topics with no new posts. Nearly all the announcements are localised to the relevant forum - only this, the Downtime announcement and the long-standing Lost Kindreds Playtesters thread are global and all but the Lost Kindreds are very recent.

At the end of the day, I've done everything I can do to make this topic noticeable. I do not have the ability to send a forum-wide PM, and I don't have the time to send individual messages. There is literally nothing else I can do to make this any more noticeable than it already is.
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Beithir Seun wrote:The announcements occupy the top-centre of the Portal page for everyone

I do not know how others, but I am not using portal page too often. Just on the side-note
At the end of the day, I've done everything I can do to make this topic noticeable.
That is something I must agree with. I am not complaining about your work. I highly (VERY highly) respect what you (and other Elders) are doing for this site and I will never even think about such thing. I was just trying to suggest something and to explain why. If this suggestion can not be realized, no matter because it is not possible or because it is stupid, it is just the fate.
You are correct that in the result, it is up to every Asrai to follow his most favorite page on internet ;)
Painted
Finished
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

I do appreciate the suggestion, and I understand why you've made it :) If I had any power to make this more noticeable then I would do so, but unfortunately, I am a mere mortal. Nagathi is away for the week, so it will be up to AMA to see if he has anything in his Admin Box o' Tricks...
Naggie
King of the Woods
Armies I play: Druchii and Asrai. Elves for the win!

Post by Naggie »

There is an option to send a mass PM or a mass email to all board members. However, our server cannot handle 5000 emails at once.
I would like to see an overhaul of how we announce things and what constitutes a stickied topic. This is something we will take up among the Council of Elders, but probably won't have time to do much right now. It's exam time and xmas is coming up. Time is limited for all of us.

~ Naggie
MUCKSTER
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by MUCKSTER »

This is just a suggestion on how I think you may be able to get people's attention... If maybe you make another one of those symbols on the left side of the forum, like te ones saying read or unread. If you make one of those really noticeable, like a bright red or something, more people may notice this part.

Or even you could make it so there is another row of things above the stickies. If you make anything that is different from the norm I think at least some people will notice it and youll get more votes.
Want a sig?
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

Thanks Muckster. The Announcements already are in a seperate row above the stickies, right at the top of the forum, so they are already distinguishable from the normal threads. Making a really noticeable symbol would perhaps help, but we'll have to see whether Naggie can do anything about that.
unicorn
Walking Rulebook

Post by unicorn »

Beithir Seun wrote:Thanks Muckster. The Announcements already are in a seperate row above the stickies, right at the top of the forum, so they are already distinguishable from the normal threads. Making a really noticeable symbol would perhaps help, but we'll have to see whether Naggie can do anything about that.
The noticeable symbols will work only if they will be there for a limited time (like a week), to announce something new and/or important. Otherwise the people will become familiar with them and will ignore them as good as they (we) are now
Painted
Finished
Naggie
King of the Woods
Armies I play: Druchii and Asrai. Elves for the win!

Post by Naggie »

We have a whole forum for important stuff, and it's not hard to see if something is new. The question is not how to get people's attention, but getting them interested. They see it, but doesn't want to know about it.

But most importantly, it's a dicussion for another time and another place.

~ Naggie
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

I'm going to extend the vote for another week, so that we can hopefully get more people involved.

Voting will now end on 31st December
Hopeless Hero
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Hopeless Hero »

I wasn't ignoring it, I've just only been here for a few weeks so I wanted to get around a bit and see who I liked :D. I'm gonna be around a lot from here on in though, so maybe next year I can get myself a nomination :P.
"Knowledge is what you know, Intelligence is how you use it."
-Me