It's Been Fun

READ HERE BEFORE POSTING
The site's important and useful announcements and news will be posted here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Naggie
King of the Woods
Armies I play: Druchii and Asrai. Elves for the win!

It's Been Fun

Post by Naggie »

It's Been Fun
"The Warrior of Light knows that no man is an island.

He cannot fight alone; whatever his plan, he depends on other people. He needs to discuss his strategy, to ask for help, and - in moments of relaxation - to have someone with whom he can sit by the fire, someone he can regale with tales of battle.

But he does not allow people to confuse this camaraderie with insecurity. He is transparent in his actions and secretive in his plans. The Warrior of Light dances with his companions, but does not place the responsibility for his actions on anyone else."

- From "Manual of the Warrior of Light" by Paulo Coelho

Greetings, my dear friends.

1531 days. It doesn't sound like a very long time, now does it? Maybe it isn't. It certainly feels like a long time for me. 1531 days ago I had an idea. I wanted to create an internet community for the Wood Elf players in the Warhammer hobby. On the 16th of March 2004 I created my site, named "The Raining Glade". I had no experience running a site, I had no idea on how to handle files, and I knew nothing about programming. But I had an idea, and I ran with it. 1531 days later, you're all experiencing the result. More than four years of experiences and wonderful friends.
It's been fun.

I have been a member of Warhammer internet communities for a whole third of my entire life now. I joined the famed Druchii.net when I was 14 years old. By the time I was 15 I became a moderator there, and by the age of 16 I started the site that would eventually become Asrai.org. I am now 21 years of age (as of today) and have spent more wake hours on this site than any other member. I have had both mental and physical conditions during these times as some of you know and others may have guessed. I have been unable to sleep at nights to spend time here instead. I have dropped out of university due to putting too much time on this forum and too little on my studies. I have put my heart and soul into this website, and I'm damned proud of what it has become.
It's been rewarding.

A website like this deserves a staff team of people who are good-hearted, strict but humble, but most importantly; they must burn for the hobby. My flame for the hobby died a few years ago. I almost never get to play the game anymore, which leaves me clueless when it comes down to giving tactical advice or armylist opinions. I have never been good at writing fluff, nor have I been a painter worth mentioning (even though I have a model or two I'm kinda proud of). I have simply fallen out of the loop. The Warhammer hobby has been a major part of my adolescent life, but most importantly this has been a place where I have been able to meet my wonderful friends. Other people use MySpace or FaceBook or some other similar sites to talk to and keep track of their friends. I got all my 3000 friends gathered here in one place. Some of you have been closer to me than others, but I consider each and everyone of you my friend. You have helped me through my hard times, knowing it or not.
It's been helpful.

During these seven and a half years of my internet community presence, I have been known for taking on a lot of tasks. I have a very big problem saying no. That, coupled with my feeling of having to do things myself to get it done right makes my personal life suffer greatly. I have been administrating this site, with some help from Kul back and forth, I've been putting a lot of effort and time into the online campaigns hosted at our sister sites, I've become administrator of the Warvault.net site and its different components. I have been the owner (main operator) of the #Albion chatroom. And I was a moderator at Druchii.net for a while in the beginning. I have had a lot of balls in the air at once, and I have gotten both good and bad experiences from it. I have gotten first-hand experience on how an administrator should not behave towards his members, and I've seen a lot of good things. During my seven and a half years in the circuits I have gathered all the best and put it into one this site. I have strived to make this site the best community around. Most comments I have heard points towards success.
It's been educating.

But as with all journeys, mine has reached its final destination now. I will now walk the path of people like Taaveti and Kitrik. Taaveti was the one who founded and started the High Elf site in 1999, and Kitrik founded the Dark Elf site around the same time. Both of them have long since departed from their creations and ascended to fond memories and legends. I can only hope that people will remember me in a similar way. I have been the captain of this ship, as well as the helmsman and the engineer. Together we have sailed many seas, met many big waves but also seen many days of beautiful voyage. As for this old captain, I have reached my final destination. I don't know about you, but I feel I have earned myself this retirement. The ship is capable of traveling the far oceans for countless years ahead, but someone else will have to do the steering from now on. Cap'n Nag is checking out. It is time for me to take on new challenges, meet new people (perhaps some in the real world for once) and focus on my studies. I have been accepted to the Royal Institute of Technology where I will study for five years to become a mathematics and physics teacher.

It's been one heck of a ride. Thanks for sharing it with me.

I have been dragging this decision since early March this year. Only a few have known this was about to happen. In fact, at the time of writing this, only two people have been informed. I have felt the need to finish some things I have started, and to keep an eye out for good replacements. As of today, Lethalis is the owner (main operator) of the #Albion chatroom. I have removed myself from all administrator positions on Warvault.net. Tethlis is the new chief in command of the LEAF team. As for this website, I have yet to decide. Nor can I really decide alone. All I know at this time is that I will remain as a co-admin, but mostly lurk. I will still be paying for the server (I won't argue if someone else wants to cash out, though).

This is your captain speaking. I hope you have enjoyed the cruise. Exits are to the right. The staff of Nagathi Cruises would like to thank you all and wish you a pleasant future. This is Captain Nagathi signing off from duty. Over and out.

A Warrior of Light knows when a battle is worth fighting.

He bases his decisions on inspiration and faith. He nevertheless meets people who ask him to fight battles that are not his own, on battlefields that he does not know or which he do not interest him. They want to involve the Warrior of Light in contests that are important to them, but not to him.

Often these are people close to the Warrior of Light, people who love him and trust in his strength and who want him to ease their anxieties in some way. At such moments, he smiles and makes it clear to them that he loves them, but he does not take up the challenge.

A true Warrior of Light always chooses his own battlefield."

Petter Nagathi Axén
Administrator of Asrai.org
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Re: It's Been Fun

Post by Beithir Seun »

This certainly is a bitter-sweet moment. I can only say that it has been an honour to have known you these last few years. I wish you the very best of luck for the future and I hope this is the not the last time we see you around :)

Bon voyage, Petter
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
ArchMagosAlchemys
Witch-Hunter General
Armies I play: VC, Empire, Asrai, DoW, DE, SM, Lustwing, many IG, Adeptus Mechanicus

Post by ArchMagosAlchemys »

I have not known you nearly as long as most of the others here. I have always appreciated the work you put in to make this the best site and anything we do will be but a pale shadow of what you have done already.

As a Chemistry/Physics teacher, I wish you very well. It is a great and rewarding career.

I hope it wasn't me getting to 4000 posts that pushed you out :D :D

BTW Grattis på födelsedagen (I think)
Airmeith: Healer of the Twisted Glade

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
Julius 'Groucho' Marx

Burn the Heretic!
Treachery Aforth: Witches purged = 0

War of Blood: 3 Daemonettes, last wound Keeper of Secrets
Rageth
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Lizardmen and Wood Elves

Post by Rageth »

I haven't been here for long, but plan on being here for a long time to come. In my short time I can tell you've been a good Admin and Leader. I want to thank you for putting up this site. In the 4 months I have been here, I have learned many tricks in the book, and have gotten my Wood Elf army to be good and large at a, what I consider, amazing pace, all because of your site and your work. If I ever win a big tournament, or something else with my Wood Elves, some of the credit will go to you.

Thank you, Nagathi, Lord of Asrai.org and King of the best place on the Internet.

P.S: Thanks for the cruise, best of luck University and I know you will make a great math teacher and I didn't know you founded Asrai.org! Drop by from time to time :)

There's no such thing as a bad army, only ones that take longer to get used to.
Illidan Hellforge
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Illidan Hellforge »

A wonderful speech by a wonderful chat owner and person.

I haven't been on this forum much so I don't expect people to know me (save a few like Pokey, moonshade_, Nagsi and a couple of others) but I've been with you in the chat for over a year and it has been a great time.

I came to Albion somewhere around March a year ago and I felt part of the chat immediately. After a short while Hyarion gave me a title, the sandwichman. I may not seem much but it meant a lot to me and I still wear it with pride. Not too long ago I was even granted op status with help of the current owner Lethalis as I'm online in the early hours during the week and to hold the spamming classmates away. After the classmates were gone my op status stayed as it still does. I thank you for these opportunities and this chat that has given me a lot of fun and also helped me through some difficult times.

It has been the first and the best chat I've been in, I've made friends, had laughs, had shoulders to cry on if it was needed, I could find everything there. I expect to have many more years there filled with such experiences and I have you to thank for.

Enjoy your retirement and freedom friend, you've certainly earned it. :)
Hyarion after listening to a Dutch song wrote:[16:38] <Hyarion> Illidan, that is beyond pure horror
[16:39] <Hyarion> that's enough to make Mary Poppins suicidal
Loki
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Eldar, Space Wolves, Dark Elves, Wood Elves, Skaven

Post by Loki »

Later Naggy, its been fun, yet I shall see you on MSN and occasionally in the chat. And since I'm the new co-owner (that's actually lower than owner, which is Leth, for all you others reading it), which I'm sure you're partly responsible for, I thank you, when I'm there and you show up, I'll make you an honorary Op :) Enjoy your studies, and your learning, and we'll see you back when the time is right.
The key to eating a black and white cookie is that you wanna get some black and some white in each bite. Nothing mixes better than vanilla and chocolate. And yet still somehow racial harmony eludes us. If people would only look to the cookie, all our problems would be solved.
Look to the Cookie!
Draketh Firewind
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: 40K: Eldar, Space Wolves, Necrons Warhammer: Wood Elves, Warriors of Chaos, Skaven

Post by Draketh Firewind »

You will be missed Nag and I thank you for doing this as it has allowed me to meet others that play wood elves and just have a good time and have great fun. Again you will be missed Captain Nagathi, and good luck with what ever you are doing in the future.
Mamimi Samejima from FLCL wrote:He who conquers the left side conquers the world chief
Haruko Haruhara from FLCL wrote:It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool.
Supporter of the Rammie Spirit
Ryikko
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: WE, Nurgle WoC

Post by Ryikko »

It's so sad to see you go... :tear:
For the year or so I've been here, I've always been in awe at how you managed to keep this up. Now I see why. And I understand why you want to move on. You've been one hell of an Admin, I'm sure we can all attest to that. You've also been one hell of a friend, and again, we can all agree. It's a bittersweet moment, as Beithir said, but it is nonetheless important.

Best of luck in your future endeavors.
It's been fun ;)

Make sure you poke around sometimes... :p

BTW, Happy Birthday!
Atlarge wrote: It's not GW if you're not scraping off a dozen nonsensical skulls from each model.
Who clicks on these anyways?
Mist Walker
Campaign Team
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Slaanesh WoC

Post by Mist Walker »

I might not have been able to access #albion but through a combination of all the different forums I feel I've come to know you quite well, I've been ab'le to talk to you during particularly lonely parts of the transition of moving accross the planet and for that I'm grateful.

The site has also repeatedly made me continue playing my wood elves and going into store when I wouldn't have normally. I think I would have stopped hte hobby alltogether if it hadn't been for this site.

You'd better pop by to visit now and then.

:cry:

PS: Not meant to sound like it's at a funeral
Blood runs, Anger rises, Death wakes, War calls
Ramesesis
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood elves & Empire at the moment

Post by Ramesesis »

Time moves on and so must we. I know you will have a great time at the University and I hope it will work out very well. At least you will walk out of it with a degree that will most likely give you a job straight away.

I must admit here, that the time may come where I too will be less seen around here, if I get the work I am going to an interview for. But I will still be around policing this place. I got plenty of other sites I can cut away from.
Nagi, the hobby do go up and down, I know all about it. I have never played in tournies, even if I want to try sometime, or in a legaue, I play with mates and on occasions, sort of like you have done. However, I burn for hobby and fluff and for the asrais.

Maybe in a few years you will also find back to the hobby, in a modest but still rewarding way.

Yes, by the way, if you are ever going to Gothenburg, be sure to mail me about it. I will mail you if I get to Sthlm. I have never butchered druchiis, but would sure like to give it a try. :p

Best of luck!

And do not worry, we shall hold the forest!
Leafstalker wrote:Nothing more beautiful then seeing a massive Bret charge stall into the formed ranks of the Eternal Guard... my Highborn Ramesesis had to harden his heart as he dueled with the Bret Lords and cut them down.
SpeedyGoat
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by SpeedyGoat »

I haven't been around this site very long but I would like to thank you for what you've done.

I can understand where you are coming from with putting your life first and congratulate you on that, it is a good choice.

I wish you the best of luck.
Naggie
King of the Woods
Armies I play: Druchii and Asrai. Elves for the win!

Post by Naggie »

Thanks guys.

I will still stop by, but only when I got the time for it. I will never be able to leave my love child for good. And I will remain an administrator here to help do the admin chores my Council of Elders throws my way. Usually, there's roughly one admin chore per month, so I'm not really worried about the labour :)

You could see me as the janitor of this place. In a school-like facility, the teachers are in charge of keeping the students motivated, making sure they know which classroom they're supposed to be in, and keep them in order. The janitor works behind the scenes, lurking in the dark. Whenever a window breaks, you call the janitor. If the video-projector breaks, you call the janitor. And it is the janitor who makes sure the facility runs as it should. I will be Asrai.org's janitor (going to fix me a rank image that says "The Janitor" in a few minutes).
If you didn't understand all the metaphors above, don't worry.
AMA wrote:BTW Grattis på födelsedagen (I think)
Tack.
AMA wrote:I hope it wasn't me getting to 4000 posts that pushed you out
I made my decision on March, wrote the first draft to this announcement in mid April, and been trying to keep it under a lid for as long as possible while trying to find replacements for the positions I'd be leaving empty.
But at least now you'll get a fighting chance to catch up with my post count here. But you'll never catch my overall post count on the three Elven sites combined :D
Loki wrote:And since I'm the new co-owner (that's actually lower than owner, which is Leth, for all you others reading it), which I'm sure you're partly responsible for, I thank you
It was leth's suggestion, but I wholeheartedly agreed.
Ryikko wrote:BTW, Happy Birthday!
Thanks!
Rammie wrote:Yes, by the way, if you are ever going to Gothenburg, be sure to mail me about it. I will mail you if I get to Sthlm.
Whenever I go visit my sister in Gothenburg, I'll let you know.
Rammie wrote:Nagi, the hobby do go up and down, I know all about it. I have never played in tournies, even if I want to try sometime, or in a legaue, I play with mates and on occasions, sort of like you have done. However, I burn for hobby and fluff and for the asrais.

Maybe in a few years you will also find back to the hobby, in a modest but still rewarding way.
With all the pressure of doing chores, that is not too unlikely. But I think it will depend on if my former Warhammer friends picks it up again.

Now I'm off for some time in the sun and to find me some cute girls :cool: Have a good one!

~ Nag
almundis
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Tomb kings, Dark elves, daemonhunters, Wood elves.

Post by almundis »

Sorry to jump in at the end here, but I wanted to wish you well. I knew you briefly on D.net as I'm sure many others did too. Wanted to wish you a fond farewell, and I'm sure with your crazy maths-oriented brain you should do well at uni. Just try not to think too much about the crazy parts of physics that make my brain hurt...

And on a closing note: Enjoy the moment, for happiness is elusive.

Christian

Auros Helyanwé
Weapons: 2x hand weapons, longbow, Light Armour
Character stats: M WS BS S T W I A Ld
------------------ 5 5 5 3 3 1 5 3 8
Lord Khaladin
Arboreal Sentinel

Post by Lord Khaladin »

nagathi,
having seen you around on druchii.net and now asrai.org, its been great to share the forums with you. you certainly have a great memory, i returned from many months exile to asrai only for you to immediately recognise me. it really meant a lot.

asrai.org is truly something to be proud of, and i hope you get a reputation as "cool" math teacher.

cheers, lord khaladin/one-eye
Khaladin Snowmane,
Lord of the Midnight Guard,
Bane of the Undead.
Mist Walker
Campaign Team
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Slaanesh WoC

Post by Mist Walker »

Maths teachers are the best kind :D . Just watch out for top set, they're meaner to the teacher than bottom. In a nice way.

I expect to see you on ratemyteacher.com/net/org/whatever
Blood runs, Anger rises, Death wakes, War calls
Whelan
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood elves and Eldar.

Post by Whelan »

Nagathi, I would like to wholeheartedly thank you for creating Asrai.org, I've been here somewhat less than a fortnight and I've already learnt so much, and I'm sure I'll continue to learn, all thanks to you.

Whelan
ImageImage
Path of the Everchosen -Hephott Erjaz, Chosen of Nurgle
Treachery Afoth -Rowan Palaes, Wardancer of Loec
Born in Darkness -Sylder Reshaer, Spellsinger of Athel Loren
peterhof
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: WE, LM, E

Post by peterhof »

Well not much to say but thanks for everything :cry:
Beeing member of multiple forums I have never seen an admin as dedicated to his "job" as yourself, you are an example to all of us by showing us that if you really want to, you can make something beautifull. I think you may proudly say that you made one of the best IF not THE best forum for WHFB out there. You have my full respect of your dedication on this site and I hope you will succeed in your further studies.

take care of yourself and tack sa mycket, du var fantastiskt

peter
You can push, but I will push back...only harder, much harder.
Skoby
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Skoby »

I feel a bit out of place commenting here as I am such a new member, but you have built up an amazing community here and whilst I am still fairly new here I've got to say this is not only the best warhammer site I've been a part of but one of the best online communities, with a great balance of memberbase and activity whilst keeping it a friendly comunity.

I hope you do continue to visit the forums and chat room, and goodluck with your degree, I'm studying Maths&Physics too and I'm sure you will have a blast, I just hope you have less physics labs than I did in my freshers year as they can be killer!
Lord Vulkan
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves,Blood Angel,

Post by Lord Vulkan »

:cry: Im gonna miss you
deadlydeceiver
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Druchii , Tomb Kings of Khemri, Asrai

Post by deadlydeceiver »

Dear Nag,

your speech was very moving and made me shed a tear (for real!).
I still remember, that one of the reasons for me to join this site, after being a lurker, was, that i wanted to show you my CoP.
I'm happy, that I spent some time on this site while you were still around.
Luckily you won't vanish comletely. But I think you can be sure, that this awsome community will keep this, your site a very special place.
Thanks for putting your heart and soul into this project. You're a great fella! :thumbsup:

All the best for your future

DD :tear:
Last edited by deadlydeceiver on 20 Feb 2012, 23:50, edited 1 time in total.
I knew you would read this... It's all part of my great plan!

RPG: PotEC
Eldryach:
Chosen Warrior of Slaanesh
Equipment: Glaive (HW), CA, Sh
Abilities: Mark of Slaanesh, Eternal Hatred, Glamour of Slaanesh
Kill Count: 2
Sethayla
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves... Lots and lots of points... whether they are painted or not... ugh

Post by Sethayla »

It HAS been fun. But I guess the saying is right, all good things must come to an end!

Asrai.org was the first forum that I was ever active on. It made Warhammer all the more fun to be able to talk about it online with people from all over, literally an almost infinite amount of knoledge.

Without this site, I may very well have stopped playing warhammer, so I thank you.

Without this site, I would not know half as much as I do now about Warhammer, so I thank you.

Without this site, I may have become frustrated with Wood Elves and either quit Warhammer or changed races.

This site has done a lot of things for a lot of people, Nagathi. Thank You.

I have only been a member for about a year and a half... almost, and in that short period of time have learned years worth of experiance in Warhammer and have become part of a respectful, intelligent, and supportive community. Since I joined this site last year, it has grown to become one of THE most active WHFB sites on the net.

If I may be of service during this time of transition, let me know (though I don't really know anything about web pages, I will try to help!)

Thank You very much, Peter. I hope this is not a good bye but if it is, so be it. We must all move on from things.

-Seth
Nagathi wrote:Only on Asrai.org can a thread about a joke turn into a mature, serious and intellectual discussion. It's almost frightening...
How to use Glade Riders
How to use Eternal Guard
roory123
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by roory123 »

i'm rather new here but have found this site to be a great help with starting warhammer. i was only originally doing warhammer for an award but now i have grown to love playing it. this would not have happened without you making this site.
goodbye and thankyou for this wonderful site. even th most magnificent trees must shed thier leaves and move on to the next season.
May Isha protect your army, and may Kurnous guide your attacks. And of course may you Tree-man Ancient wipe the floor with other models.

Aeleg- the Noble of Laith-Kourn
weapon- Claw of Talu
m ws bs s t w i a ld
9 6 6 4 3 2 9 4 9
mydnight
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by mydnight »

All the best in your studies, pursue it like you did this forum, and surely you will shine :thumbsup:
"It's my pointy helmet; the raging centigor slowed down to wonder who on earth ever came up with such a ridiculous cap"
~Alanar the HE bolt thrower crew member, on being asked how come he managed to strike a spear-armed, charging centigor first
Culain
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Culain »

I'm happy for you that you made the decision to focus on your math study. You're obviously fond of it (and good in it), and if even only a fraction of the effort you reserved for the elven sites is put into your study, I'm sure it will turn out very rewarding for you.

Thanks for this site. We owe you.
Amarel
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: DE, Chaos, WE.

Post by Amarel »

Thanks for giving us this place to hang out and chew the cud.

Good luck with your course - keep us updated :).

Jules.