Upgrading the forum

READ HERE BEFORE POSTING
The site's important and useful announcements and news will be posted here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Syriath
Master of Druchii

Upgrading the forum

Post by Syriath »

Greetings everyone,

I wish to announce that the upgrade of the forum is being scheduled by the end of july or august. The platform we're currently using is becoming so old we're being charged extra by the host to keep the legacy server running.

The same forum software is used on Druchii.net. Druchii.net will be undergoing the upgrade first, and serve as a test to work out the kinks of the upgrade procedure. After a successful upgrade for Druchii.net, a similar upgrade will be planned for Ulthuan and Asrai.

During the upgrade, the forum will be disabled which could last a few hours. If all is well, the forum will become available again with the upgrade in place. Should the upgrade fail, then all changes will be rolled back.

Cheers!
Daeron
Naggie
King of the Woods
Armies I play: Druchii and Asrai. Elves for the win!

Re: Upgrading the forum

Post by Naggie »

Thanks for letting us know.
Syriath
Master of Druchii

Post by Syriath »

If preferred I can upgrade to phpBB 3.2 instead of 3.3. It seems both Druchii.net and ulthuan.net are looking into "Discourse" and a migration is supported up to phpBB 3.2.
If you would like to keep the options open, then 3.2 may be a good alternative.

I should also note that the house style of the forum will be removed during the upgrade. It is not supported in newer versions. I have found a somewhat suitable replacement, I think:
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... f1a0f1d9d3
By replacing the banner, we get a good approximation of the current style.
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

The Aeliaria skin is basically one of the common skins from the phpBB site with new icons and some changed hex codes for colours (and thus, some new images for the rounded corners).
The one you linked looks like a decent start.

There's a few mods on this forum which I think we could get rid of by now (tapatalk being the most annoying one). I'd recommend uninstalling a few of those MODs before proceeding with the update.
Syriath
Master of Druchii

Post by Syriath »

After a successful upgrade for Druchii.net and ulthuan.net I would like to propose the upgrade for Asrai to take place tomorrow. Any mods will be lost during the upgrade (uninstallation is a requirement for the upgrade). During the upgrade the forum will be unavailable for a few hours.

The style will be lost as well, but I'll install the proposed replacement along with the upgrade to get started and then add the logo.
Syriath
Master of Druchii

Post by Syriath »

Here we are. I will be re-adding the logo.

I noticed quite a few addons were lost along the way. I still have a full working copy of the old version working locally, should that be required, or some information should be retrieved.

I have begun the upgrade for the leaf section as well, but wouldn't it make more sense to add this back to the main forum? This would make the setup of the site a tad cleaner.
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

Syriath wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 15:11 I have begun the upgrade for the leaf section as well, but wouldn't it make more sense to add this back to the main forum? This would make the setup of the site a tad cleaner.
I agree. If you got the time and skill, feel free to add it into the new skin.
There are still a few visual kinks in this new skin, but it's working somewhat properly (I seem to get notifications for unread PMs from 2016...).
Syriath
Master of Druchii

Post by Syriath »

Naggie wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 18:31 I agree. If you got the time and skill, feel free to add it into the new skin.
For clarity, I meant migrating the topic and posts into the main forum, have it as its own subsection and restricted to read-only.
If that's okay, I'll get started on it.
Naggie wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 18:31 There are still a few visual kinks in this new skin, but it's working somewhat properly (I seem to get notifications for unread PMs from 2016...).
That's odd... I think this is related to the migration of the new version. If you have no easy way to remove the notifications, I can try to run a database query that updates all the PMs to "read" status.
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

Syriath wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 12:01 For clarity, I meant migrating the topic and posts into the main forum, have it as its own subsection and restricted to read-only.
If that's okay, I'll get started on it.
Ahh! Sure, that sounds like a decent way to do it. You have my blessing.
Syriath wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 12:01 That's odd... I think this is related to the migration of the new version. If you have no easy way to remove the notifications, I can try to run a database query that updates all the PMs to "read" status.
It was easy enough to open them and notice that I've already replied to the PMs 5 years ago :)

~ Naggie