When would you ever summon hunting hounds?

All questions about difficult rules in here; for both Asrai as well as other armies.

Moderator: Council of Elders

martinalexander
Newcomer
Newcomer

When would you ever summon hunting hounds?

Post by martinalexander »

Hi,

I am wondering why you would ever summon hunting hounds as a pose to just fielding them from the get go, it costs nothing to field units in AOS so i can position my wolves right by orion where i need them to get his bonus. if i go the summoning route i may fail the summon, it takes up a cast and the hounds may be away from orion and unable to move that turn.

the only benefit i can see is if you somehow feel the wolves will be picked off in the first 2 round and you would prefer to summon them in at full strength later?

or i cant help but feel summoning will be used to pull the wool over your opponents eyes somewhat, making an agreeable balanced game and then when it starts be like ohhh i actually have 20 more hounds i will attempt to summon in now enjoy.

I dont understand this one, any thoughts what am i missing?
Rosies184
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: When would you ever summon hunting hounds?

Post by Rosies184 »

or if they die and you resummon them.
martinalexander
Newcomer
Newcomer

Rosies184 wrote:or if they die and you resummon them.
ahhh didn't think about that, so i could field two units of five if one full unit died and the other was alive i could then re summon the ones who died, very good. will defiantly take 10 hounds in my army! ty
bozo69pd
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Nurgle CSM/Daemons

Post by bozo69pd »

You don't need to field the unit to summon them as per the actual rules. That is just a handicap/house rule players are placing on summoning, and rightfully so. It is too easy to place 500 models on the table turn 1 otherwise.
martinalexander
Newcomer
Newcomer

bozo69pd wrote:You don't need to field the unit to summon them as per the actual rules. That is just a handicap/house rule players are placing on summoning, and rightfully so. It is too easy to place 500 models on the table turn 1 otherwise.
you do. the abilty to summon hunting hounds comes from the warscroll on the hunting hounds. we cant just pick and use any abilities from any war-scroll we want.
bozo69pd
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Nurgle CSM/Daemons

Post by bozo69pd »

I know we all want to wish it is that way. That would balance the game. Look in all the scenery that gives you special summons though like arcane ruins and balewind vortex. They give your army access to models that cannot normally be fielded by your faction or at all. Since you cannot start with them on the table, my guess is that you summon them. While the balewind does have the extra rule of specifically saying it does not start on the table (I assume to give you the chance of failure on turn 1 so you cant count on having massively OP spells right off the bat) arcane ruins does not. You just start pulling the special summon models out of your box of toys when the spell goes off.
Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: wood elves

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

I don't think the hounds have the "more the 9" away from enemy models" rule when you summon them. They just have to be within 8" of the caster. So you could place them 3" in front of a enemy unit as a sort of "re-director" to buy your caster an extra turn before getting into close combat.
"Herald of Athel Loren" Limited Edition Book #0165
AoS is the greatest!
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

There is no overrun. So your opponent cannot hit your hounds, wipe them out and overrun into Orion.

So having it in your toolbox is handy.
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"