Forest Stalker in and out question

All questions about difficult rules in here; for both Asrai as well as other armies.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Sidewinder
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Forest Stalker in and out question

Post by Sidewinder »

I read Sunstrider's post about using WWR with the Abyssal Forest under this topic.
http://asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=28700&start=50

It brings to mind an interesting question, though I doubt this situation would ever occur.

A 5 x 6 unit consisting of 30 Wildwood Rangers has three of its ranks in a forest and three ranks that are not. It is in combat with an opponent's unit.
Forest Stalker rule: ...a unit with at least half of its models in the forest has fight in extra ranks. (pp. 36 WE army book)
Combat in forest rule: A unit with the majority of its models fighting in a forest can therefor never be steadfast. (pp. 119 BRB)

In this situation can the WWR unit have Steadfast and still be able to fight in extra ranks?
Favorite hobby - playing GW games
2nd favorite hobby - complaining about GW
Blackcat
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Empire, Imperial Guard, Eldar

Re: Forest Stalker in and out question

Post by Blackcat »

No they cant but they are stubborn anyway so it really doesnt matter if they are steadfast
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

I guess, though it does not seem intended. In any case, it just takes a single casualty to throw over the balance so it isn't really realiable anyway. Funny idea though.
Jossebuschman
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood elves, Bretonnians, Romans, Greeks, Vikings, CoA.

Post by Jossebuschman »

I think this can be a good tactic, you can attack in three ranks, then you take few casualties and you're steadfast. Even if you do not take casualties you're still steadfast,
This would usually only work for one round, but at that point your wild riders should hit home anyway.

WWR are not stubborn, that's Eternal guard.
Now there's a frood who knows where his towel is!
Boskie43
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Boskie43 »

Jossebuschman wrote: WWR are not stubborn, that's Eternal guard.

I almost typed this a day ago...
Then realized they are talking about sun's list... Or at least that's what I assumed since it was linked/ the primary driving force for this...
Which has a stubborn crown in the unit so yes... They are stubborn in the context ;)
Sidewinder
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Sidewinder »

I wasn't commenting specifically on Sun's list, it's just his list that gave me the thought about this situation if it would ever occur. As far as the question goes, it doesn't need to be WWR specifically, it applies to any Forest Stalker unit that doesn't have stubborn.

I was puzzled about the WWR being stubborn comment though. Thanks for posting; it cleared up that confusion for me.

This situation would rarely occur and I think it's too specific and situational to be a tactic. It would have to be forced and then it still wouldn't be reliable. I simply had one of those "hmm, I wonder" moments. It was more of a thought exercise.

Normally, if something like this arises in a game, I totally miss it until end game reflections and it's usually my opponent that points out what I could have done.

I also wanted to start a thread that was a bit different than the usual ones. Unfortunately I couldn't think of a better title for the thread. The ole "in and out" probably wasn't best.
Favorite hobby - playing GW games
2nd favorite hobby - complaining about GW