The Sisters of Twilight question. Now with a twist.

All questions about difficult rules in here; for both Asrai as well as other armies.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: The Sisters of Twilight question. Now with a twist.

Post by Aezeal »

No ofc noone complains.. that is the worst of the ways they can be ruled on Gwindalor (not saying it's not the correct way though). They will die to shooting in a sec and aren't hard to kill at all even in melee with only 3 wounds and no save and a pretty large base.
I'd consider using them if T4 & 2x2 wound and ofc with T4 & 2x3 wound or T3 & 2x2 wounds. But with only 1 profile and no save to mention they are just a liability if the enemy has BS shooting or a direct damage spell (ie. all enemies I've ever encountered). On dragon the rules are clear and they are much more survivable (except vs direct warmachine hits).

I don't think they'll be ruled differently in the near future though since then their survivability is suddenly very good and opponents might complain. On the dragon it's the same but then the total cost is much higher too so it's not too strong (not to mention there can't be any debate about their wound and toughness.
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

They're actually not that easy to kill with shooting (T4, and can allocate wounds) but yes, they are mostly just a nuisance not a real threat :-) They are excellent at holding up lone characters or WoC units with big characters in them, but they need backup (magical or otherwise) to really be useful.
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Post by Billthesurly »

godswearhats wrote:How I play it:

T4, W3. No look out sir from nearby monstrous cav (they are technically not a lone character).
I can deal with that if you mean 3W EACH. I can even go along if we just say 4W total since it is a pair of 2W hero figures on one mount.

My reasoning: The basic "Hero on Eagle" character combo gets T4, 3W to reflect the higher resiliency of the mount. This is an addition to make the character better. Makes sense right? By giving the Sisters 3W we actually take away something that they already have - 4 wounds total. Why take away something they already have by using a "buff" that is designed to make monsterous beast riders better? Two riders on a MB shouldn't loose a wound they simply shouldn't add anything because their total of wounds is already in excess of the mount they're on.

I play them with W3 each or W4 total. Personally I think W4 total makes more sense. But then there's that little rule thing....
Last edited by Billthesurly on 23 May 2015, 16:24, edited 2 times in total.
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

Yes 3W each.
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council

Post by Billthesurly »

Well..... fine then. (but I think 4W total makes more sense when I think about it)

Seriously; we add a wound to the rider to reflect that the combination of rider and beast is harder to kill that the character alone. When the Sisters are on Gwindalor they already have more wounds that Gwindalor.

Oh but then there's that little problem of THE RULE! Which plainly states that riders on MBs get 3 wounds! (and it does not qualify as to quantity of riders either)

Oh well. Guess I'll just have to suck it up and play it 3W each! :o (go ahead, twist my arm)
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Ow 3 wounds each even on the eagle.. I'd play them EVERY single game with that since then their survivability is AWESOME.. sadly.. in no comp they are rules like that so I don't have any real backing it present it to my gaming group like that. Without a backing like that I won't do it.. I'd look like I was trying to cheat or bend the rules and I'd rather loose than having my oppontents think that. If they only get a single 3W I think they SHOULD get a LOS though. Since they are a single model regardless of how many characters they are I'd even say they should get it with the 2x 3W's ... but I wouldn't mind losing it that much in that case.

Bill: we don't "add a wound" with characters on monstrous cav. We use the beasts T and W. On a T5, 4W beast we'd use that. Which is why the most plausible interpretations are either T4 W3 or T4 2x W3. With the former the sisters are way to easily killed and not worth it... and with the latter combined with their conjoined destiny they rather overpowered (and the best value special char in our book).

Is there a comp where they are ruled as 2x3W when on Gwindalor?
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council

Post by Billthesurly »

Since I have never played in a straight tournament that even allowed Special Characters it has never come up. I have only ever played the Sisters in friendly games and that conjoined destiny, while being really neat, is not all that great. They do only have 6 wounds and a lot of shots coming their way will take them out in a turn.

I know we don't "add a wound" to the MB riding hero but that is the effect. While they may count as one model it is the number of wounds possessed by that model that is in question.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

I found the sisters on dragon pretty durable unless you put them against dedicated combat characters (so far). I guess massed shooting would work but on the dragon there'd be randomization and 5 for Naestra and 6 for Arahan effectively gives them a effectively a 2+/3+ (since if the other gets hit it's not really good either unless that one is already dead) ward save so getting the 6 wounds on them in the right distribution is really not gonna happen unless there is a lot of luck involved. So on the dragon it's very good against shooting and in melee it's pretty good too since the attacks have to be distributed in the correct way so both will get 2 wounds. On Gwindalor they would be much more vulnerable to shooting... but then the T4 would help a bit. If they both get T4 and 3 W they should be pretty durable in melee though (high WS, T4)

Since noone has mentioned a comp system where 2x 3 W and T 4 is used I guess that doesn't exist.. which makes it hard for me to play them like that.