Forest Stalkers & Wild Rider Mounts

All questions about difficult rules in here; for both Asrai as well as other armies.

Moderator: Council of Elders

ServantOfIsha123
Newcomer
Newcomer

Forest Stalkers & Wild Rider Mounts

Post by ServantOfIsha123 »

"All models in that unit with the forest stalker special rule can make supporting attacks with one extra rank than usual"

I think that's pretty clear that it includes the mounts for wild riders, saying "all models in the unit"

More-so because the rule below it for re-rolling ones specifically states that one in particular doesn't affect mounts.

Am I wrong to assume that?

So that means a unit of 15, in 3 ranks of 5 would have 10 extra attacks from that extra third rank (one for rider, one for mount)? That makes taking more than 10 seem like an interesting option if you're taking the acorn to increase chances of fighting in forests dramatically.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Re: Forest Stalkers & Wild Rider Mounts

Post by Beithir Seun »

If I remember correctly, mounts don't get to make supporting attacks. I could be wrong on that, because I don't have my BRB to check, but I'm pretty sure it's the case...
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Lassoto
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tomb Kings, Skaven

Post by Lassoto »

Beithir Seun wrote:If I remember correctly, mounts don't get to make supporting attacks. I could be wrong on that, because I don't have my BRB to check, but I'm pretty sure it's the case...
They don't, it says so under cavalry and supporting attacks. Only riders get to make supporting attacks.
arolig
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by arolig »

"When a cavalry model makes supporting attacks, only the rider can strike — we assume that the mount lacks both the discipline and the reach to fight through those ahead of it" From BRB.

If we then look at the wood elf rules, there is no doubt that Forest stalker lets the second rank of stags get supporting attacks. (but from the third rank, only the riders) This is pretty clear in my mind taking into account the bit about rerolling ones only applies to riders as well as ASF. All models are all models, if not an exception is noted.

Stags don't lack the disipline to run around in the forest fighting. Surly if a third rank of spearmen on horses get hits in, why cant the second rank of stags jump inbetween?
Sindaril
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Sindaril »

Third rank riders do supporting attacks in forest. Mounts never do supporting attacks. Its kinda clear.
khyran
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by khyran »

it's easier to imagine an elf with a spear doing a supporting attack from second rank than a stag trampling down his cousin to bite off a goblin's head :D
Lassoto
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tomb Kings, Skaven

Post by Lassoto »

arolig wrote:"When a cavalry model makes supporting attacks, only the rider can strike — we assume that the mount lacks both the discipline and the reach to fight through those ahead of it" From BRB.

If we then look at the wood elf rules, there is no doubt that Forest stalker lets the second rank of stags get supporting attacks. (but from the third rank, only the riders) This is pretty clear in my mind taking into account the bit about rerolling ones only applies to riders as well as ASF. All models are all models, if not an exception is noted.

Stags don't lack the disipline to run around in the forest fighting. Surly if a third rank of spearmen on horses get hits in, why cant the second rank of stags jump inbetween?
Because cavalry models are one model, mount and rider together.