Branchwraith joining elf unit?

All questions about difficult rules in here; for both Asrai as well as other armies.

Moderator: Council of Elders

SquidBoy
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Branchwraith joining elf unit?

Post by SquidBoy »

Can a branchwraith join an elf unit nowadays? If so, how would that work with the different basesizes?

Could I compose a unit with 5 branchwraiths in the first rank and then Glade Guards in the following ranks?
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Re: Branchwraith joining elf unit?

Post by Beithir Seun »

Yes, Branchwraiths can join elf units now - there is no longer any restriction for what type of character can join particular units (i.e. Forest Spirits in non-Forest Spirit units, and vice versa).

As for how it would work in terms of base size - it's all there in the rulebook. If a character is not on a base size that is compatible with the bases of the unit they want to join (i.e. a multiple of 25mm in a 20mm-based unit) then they have to "attach" to the side of the unit in order not to disrupt ranks.

With that in mind, the answer to your last question is no: the Branchwraiths would not be able to form a front rank of their own, because their base sizes are not compatible with the 20mm Glade Guard bases. They would be forced to be placed alongside the front rank of Glade Guard, and as there is only room for one Branchwraith alongside, the others would be prevented from joining the unit at all.
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
SquidBoy
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by SquidBoy »

Beithir Seun wrote: answer to your last question is no
:cry:
Isjiek
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Isjiek »

And there it is, the purpose of dryads. :P
arolig
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by arolig »

I saw a 2500 list that ran 5 branchwraiths with dryads. It looked quite cool, lot's of life magic! :) 325 pts for a dangerous close combat hero group. You can fit that with 2 more LVL fours aswell! :D
Thunderfrog
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Thunderfrog »

5 Branchwraiths in one rank?

Savage Beast of Horrors please.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zaV ... ZmGcM/edit - A Lore Analysis for Wood Elves and Army Archtypes
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Beastmen, lizardmen, wood elves, orcs and goblins

Post by Drstrangelove »

arolig wrote:I saw a 2500 list that ran 5 branchwraiths with dryads. It looked quite cool, lot's of life magic! :) 325 pts for a dangerous close combat hero group. You can fit that with 2 more LVL fours aswell! :D
whoa, that's only the cost of a single Weaver........that's actually quite fieldable. If I had 5 branchwraiths I give it a try!
Thunderfrog wrote:5 Branchwraiths in one rank?
Savage Beast of Horrors please.
daaaammnnn that would be like a frog in a blender.
".....and you are ugly! But it the morning I shall be sober!"