Forest Stalker + Gnoblar Question

All questions about difficult rules in here; for both Asrai as well as other armies.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Domine Nox
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Forest Stalker + Gnoblar Question

Post by Domine Nox »

This might be an odd one, and sadly might be gamey, but it is honestly just for clarification. Since Wood Elves have Forest Stalker, they get Forest Strider meaning when in woods they do not have to take Dangerous Terrain Tests (BRB pg 76). Does this mean if they charged a unit of Gnoblars with Traps that are in woods they would be exempt from the Dangerous Terrain Test? Or despite this being a Dangerous Terrain test in a forest it would be exempt because it is not the forest causing the test? Common sense leads me to the latter, but I am curious what the RAW community has to say.
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Re: Forest Stalker + Gnoblar Question

Post by Billthesurly »

The traps are not a natural feature of the forest. They are the special rule of a certain troop type from another army list. Just because they happen to be placed in a forest does not mean that they can be ignored. So your chargers are exempt from dangerous terrain tests arrising from the forest itself but anything placed in the forest by another troop types special rule will still affect you. Stepping on a landmine in a forest is different from tripping over a root and breaking your leg.

Disclaimer: I have not spent an hour researching through rulebooks to come to this conclusion. It just seems comon sense to me. ("Trust your feelings Luke.")
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Bill's answer makes the most sense, and seems to be the intent for the Forest Strider rule.

However, the BRB says
BRB wrote:"Warriors with the Strider rule do not have to take Dangerous Terrain tests"
If you add on the caveat required from the rule being Forest Strider (rather than just Strider) it would read as
"Warriors with the Forest Strider rule do not have to take Dangerous Terrain tests in Forests"
(italics mine)

If you take it as written, that means that they don't have to take *any* Dangerous Terrain tests while in a forest, regardless of the source. A parallel can be drawn with the effects of the Curse of Anraheir, where the general consensus (albeit unofficial) seems to be that Wood Elves can ignore the Dangerous Terrain tests caused by the spell while they're in a forest.
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Lassoto
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tomb Kings, Skaven

Post by Lassoto »

RAW is no dangerous terrain tests. The strider rule specifically says that the model doesn't have to take dangerous terrain tests in woods, nothing about them having to come from the wood.

Fluffwise this can make sense, wood elves are so used to travelling forests, that they spot a trap a mile away and simply avoid it.
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Post by Billthesurly »

Since it is so plainly written in the Forest Strider rule it's probably best to go ahead and play it exactly as written. The moment we try to dragoon common sense into the equation things tend to blow up. Particularly if you're playing with someone you don't know.

My personal beliefs tell me to keep as much fun and fluffy in the game as we can but it so often leads to hate and discontent among strangers that RAW is the way to go. :tear:
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Well said Bill, I'm with you all the way buddy :D :thumbsup:
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Ikhoornix
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Ikhoornix »

Does the Gnoblar Trapper rule state when the Dangerous Terrain test is triggered? As soon as you start moving, or when you get into base to base with the Gnoblars.

Depending on the case, the Wood Elves might not be in a Forest when the test is triggered and may therefore still be required to take the test.
Ancient wisdoms:
- He who always takes the level path will never end up in the mountains
- Man who wants pretty nurse, must be patient.
Domine Nox
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Domine Nox »

It is triggered when the charge is completed.
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

frogboy wrote:Well said Bill, I'm with you all the way buddy :D :thumbsup:
Me too, that was explained clear, concise and logically sensible. :thumbsup:
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
billr
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by billr »

Not sure about exactly what the printed rulebook says, but the interactive rulebook (which is supposed to have faq/errata integrated in), says, "normally a model will have a subset of strider, such as Forest Strider, ... and the rule only applies in terrain of specified types. Warriors with the strider rule do not have to take dangerous terrain tests."

The '...' in the quote above just enumerates a couple of other strider types if you're curious.

Seems like if the charge started in the woods and never left the woods, then no tests would be required, but if you charged into or out of the woods then why not?

Does this really matter though? Maybe you know somebody who plays them regularly. Otherwise, I don't think you're going to see them that often.

*edit* I'd like to add, that if my opponent argued about it, I'd just take the tests anyway. Certainly not worth a big hub-bub.
arolig
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by arolig »

To me it sounds cool that Elfs jump over trapps and are unnafected by curses from the lore of beasts(Anraheir) While in woods.

The Curse of Anraheir: "At the Wizard's command, nebulous nature spirits assail the foe, clawing at them with hands not nearly as insubstantial as they appear"

Your army consists of trees and elves that have befriended the trees. Surly if the elves are able to teleport from wood to wood with a moonstone they can jump over goblin traps and dogde/autopass magical dangerous terraintests in woods :D