sniping and line of sight

All questions about difficult rules in here; for both Asrai as well as other armies.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Luminith
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

sniping and line of sight

Post by Luminith »

Man, I an dominating the pool of enlightenment this week! Haha

When I'm using my waystalkers delicious sniping ability, how visible does the target have to be? Can I snipe someone out of the second rank? With true line of sight, if said model happens to sit higher, or I'm on a hill or something, is that legal?
Same question with buildings. I can shoot the unit, obviously, but can I snipe people who are hiding in a building?
Do I like Warhammer? Are you kidding, I've got wood!....elves...
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Orcs and goblins, Vampire Counts, Wood Elves.

Re: sniping and line of sight

Post by hutobega »

If you can see the unit the model is in and he is in your ARCH then I believe you can target him no problem.
How do we prove we exist? Maybe we don't...
strategem
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Dark Elves, Wood Elves, Ogres

Post by strategem »

you need to have line of sight to the model that you are trying to snipe - not just the unit he is in
all modifiers for cover will be for the model you are sniping - not the unit
if the model you wish to snipe is in the 2nd rank you will more than likely be hit with a hard cover modifier for the model in front of it
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

What strategem said. So long as you can see the model you want to snipe (regardless of his position in the unit) you can shoot at him (or her...)
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Luminith
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Luminith »

So how does that work if my waystalkers in a building? He gets a 360 sight, right? And if the buildings 2 or more floors, does that mean I can see pretty much anything?
Do I like Warhammer? Are you kidding, I've got wood!....elves...
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Luminith wrote:So how does that work if my waystalkers in a building? He gets a 360 sight, right? And if the buildings 2 or more floors, does that mean I can see pretty much anything?

Nope, there's no 360 LoS for single models any more. He gets 90 degree forward arc LoS, like a ranked unit does. If he's at the top of a building, odds are you'll be able to draw LoS over intervening units and terrain. It all depends on the model's exact eye view, which only you will be able to determine from the physical models on the table top, while you're playing :smirk: That's the problem with True Line of Sight...
Eye-Thief
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Eye-Thief »

Luminith wrote:So how does that work if my waystalkers in a building? He gets a 360 sight, right? And if the buildings 2 or more floors, does that mean I can see pretty much anything?
BRB Page 127 Buildings and Shooting: "A garrison unit can shoot in the Shooting phase, tracing line of sight from any point on the building. The forward arc of the garrison unit is assumed to be 360 degrees (i.e. all around) so we don't need to worry about that either. The range for a garrison's shooting attacks is always measured from the closest point of the building."

So, in short, he can shoot in any direction, but intervening terrain will affect his LoS.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

Sorry, forgot about 360 LoS for buildings :o