Line of sight - to hit modifiers

All questions about difficult rules in here; for both Asrai as well as other armies.

Moderator: Council of Elders

SpOOn
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Line of sight - to hit modifiers

Post by SpOOn »

Quick question from last nights game, diagram may be a little out...

Unit 1 - Silverhelms
Unit 2 - Eagle
Unit 3 - Waywatchers

Waywatchers shooting at silverhelms, eagle in the way.

Do the silverhelms get cover and if so soft or heavy?
Correct me if I'm wrong but to obtain heavy cover your unit needs to be 50% hidden...
Line of site rules mention you don't take into consideration wingspans banners etc... Whether that makes a difference or not I don't know.

The waywatchers from memory could all draw a line of sight to unobscured silverhelms...

Any help would be great.
Cheers
SpOOnY
I aM NoT YoUr SpOOn ~
strategem
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Dark Elves, Wood Elves, Ogres

Re: Line of sight - to hit modifiers

Post by strategem »

I don't have my brb on hand but if my memory is not failing me

if the unit can see more than 75% of the unit it is shooting at there are no modifiers
if the unit can see more than 50% but less than 75% of the unit it is shooting at there is a -1 modifier
if the unit can see less than 50% of the unit it is shooting at there is a -2 modifier

wings and arms are not used to block line of sight

without seeing the exact positioning of the units I would say that the single eagle would have created a -1 for you to shoot
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

strategem wrote:I don't have my brb on hand but if my memory is not failing me

if the unit can see more than 75% of the unit it is shooting at there are no modifiers
if the unit can see more than 50% but less than 75% of the unit it is shooting at there is a -1 modifier
if the unit can see less than 50% of the unit it is shooting at there is a -2 modifier
Nothing so exact I'm afraid.

If the majority of models in the target unit are obscured from the shooting model's view then they will get either soft cover or hard cover, depending on what's obscuring them. Intervening units (friendly or enemy) are hard cover, so long as they're obscuring the majority of the target unit.

In this case, assuming the diagram is 100% accurate (which it undoubtedly isn't), the Eagle does not obscure the majority of the target unit - there is still more than 50% visible to the Waywatchers, so the Silver Helms will not get Hard Cover.
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
strategem
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Dark Elves, Wood Elves, Ogres

Post by strategem »

So I went through the brb and what Beithir Seun said is correct
my appoligies for mixing up house rules and tourney rules with the 50 to 75% statement that I said