Commonly Asked Questions

All questions about difficult rules in here; for both Asrai as well as other armies.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Commonly Asked Questions

Post by Beithir Seun »

This thread is intended to address those questions that keep getting asked over and over, and have already been answered unequivocally. This is *NOT* a thread for questions that need FAQing (those should be asked here) but is instead intended to list those common questions and answers that people seem to miss in the rulebook or army book...

If you have a Q+A that you think should be added to the list, post below and I will update the list.

~ ~ ~

Q. Does 'Forest Strider' allow Wood Elf units to count as Steadfast in forests?
A. No; 'Forest Strider' simply allows Wood Elf units to ignore Dangerous Terrain tests while in a forest.

Q. If a unit with the 'Forest Strider' rule moves into a mysterious forest like a Venom Thicket, does it have to take Dangerous Terrain test?
A. No; the 'Forest Strider' rule allows Wood Elf units to ignore Dangerous Terrain tests while in forests.

Q. If I have more than one character with the 'Arrow of Kurnous' rule, does the enemy general suffer multiple hits if he is within 36" and Line of Sight of several of my characters?
A. No; the 'Arrow of Kurnous' rule inflicts one single hit if you have at least one character with the rule within 36" and Line of Sight of the enemy general, not one hit per character.

Q. Can characters be deployed with Ambushing Glade Rider units?
A. No; in order for characters to deploy with Ambushing units, they must have the Ambushers rule themselves (which none of our characters do).

Q. Does the Armour Piercing rule from the various enchanted arrow types stack with the Armour Piercing rule for the Asrai Longbow?
A. No; the profile for the enchanted arrows *replaces* the profile for the Asrai Longbow, so there are no multiples of the Armour Piercing rule.

Q. Is the 'Blessings of the Ancients' rule cumulative if you have more than one wizard in the same forest?
A. No; spells are cast be a single model at a time, and so only one model at a time will receive the 'Blessings of the Ancients' bonus.

Q. Does 'The Curse of Anraheir' affect Open terrain.
A. Yes; open terrain is still a type of terrain, and 'The Curse of Anraheir' explicitly states that it affects *all* terrain.
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Lassoto
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tomb Kings, Skaven

Re: Commonly Asked Questions

Post by Lassoto »

Q. Can I use both the multiple shots special rule and the sniper special rule at the same time with my waystalker?
A. Yes, you can. Several other armies have been using this combination for years(Ogres, Empire and Lizardmen). However you can elect to not use it if you feel it is overpowered, no one is forcing you.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

I'm only adding questions that have a clear and definitive answer. There is still debate about how the Multiple Shots and Sniper rules interact, regardless of how other players have been playing it with other armies. As my Mum always told me, just because the other kids do it doesn't mean you should ;)
Lassoto
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tomb Kings, Skaven

Post by Lassoto »

Fair enough :)
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

Added the question about Frenzy on Wild Rider mounts.
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
Ikhoornix
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Ikhoornix »

In regards to the first Q&A, the Strider rule allows Wood Elves to automatically Pass Dangerous Terrain Tests while in a Forest (if I'm not mistaken)

If I remember correctly, there was a discussion last year that ended in the conclusion that Wood Elves would automatically sass the Dangerous Terrain test caused by the Curse of Ahnraheir(?) for instance if they are in a Forest.
Ancient wisdoms:
- He who always takes the level path will never end up in the mountains
- Man who wants pretty nurse, must be patient.
johho
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by johho »

Ikhoornix wrote:In regards to the first Q&A, the Strider rule allows Wood Elves to automatically Pass Dangerous Terrain Tests while in a Forest (if I'm not mistaken)

If I remember correctly, there was a discussion last year that ended in the conclusion that Wood Elves would automatically sass the Dangerous Terrain test caused by the Curse of Ahnraheir(?) for instance if they are in a Forest.
I just read that rule 2 seconds ago, and I read it like when in a forrest the unit do not take DT-test. Period! Wich also means that the venom thicket wont harm them either.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

Ikhoornix wrote:In regards to the first Q&A, the Strider rule allows Wood Elves to automatically Pass Dangerous Terrain Tests while in a Forest (if I'm not mistaken)
A small difference perhaps, but it means that Wood Elves do not have to take Dangerous Terrain tests while in forests. That's not the same as automatically passing.

I'm not sure this is an official ruling - if it required discussion to reach a conclusion then the answer is not definitive.
USG_Ishimura
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by USG_Ishimura »

I want to make an add to the rule Frenzy and how affects to the mounts. It´s true, the mounts of WIldriders of kournous have the frenzy rule, but they do NOT benefits from the extra attack. I think it is an important think to clarify in the FAQ.
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tau, Imperial guard (Tau auxilleries)

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

USG_Ishimura wrote:I want to make an add to the rule Frenzy and how affects to the mounts. It´s true, the mounts of WIldriders of kournous have the frenzy rule, but they do NOT benefits from the extra attack. I think it is an important think to clarify in the FAQ.
If the mount has the rule themselves, then they do get the extra attack. If only the riders have the rule then the mounts do not get the extra attack, but are affected by the other part if the rule. That is clearly stated in the brb.

As written in the army book entry, the mount and rider both have the rule, so both get the extra attack.

This is probably an error IMO, but that is rules as written.

It's just like asrai spears don't have the wording about not adding the extra rank on the turn they charge, which other spears have. Or sisters of the thorn's javelins not being quick to fire like other javelins. I doubt any of those are intended, but that is what it says.

BTW, if anyone has an opponent tell them to treat the EG spears like other spears and not have an extra rank on the charge, say fine, but then we treat the javelins like other javelins and give them quick to fire too. They can't insist on RAI but only when it benefits them.
Minty wrote:...if you've been killed by a Wood Elf it's nothing personal, but Charles Darwin is smiling with approval.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

Gents, this is not a discussion thread. There is already a thread set up to discuss whether Wild Riders mounts are affected by Frenzy, so take the discussion there please.

As for the Q+A relating to Frenzy - I'll be removing it shortly, as I don't believe it belongs here.
LadyLoec
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Vampire Counts, Empire, Warriors of Chaos, Skaven, Dark Elves, Dwarves

Post by LadyLoec »

Been arguing that 'curse' question since the dawn of 8th ed - thanks!
Nexensis
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Nexensis »

Just a quick one about the Asrai spears and fight in extra rank.

Asrai Spears give Fight in Extra Rank
Fight in Extra Ranks (BRB pg 69)
"If a model has this special rule then supporting attacks can be made by an extra rank than normal on a turn in which the unit did not charge..."

So Eternal Guard can't charge with an extra rank of fighting, nor can anyone else getting Fight in Extra ranks from other sources than a spear.
Your High Elf friends have probably all been cheating you all this time ;)

It seems the note in the BRB armoury on spears is superfluous
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

Nexensis wrote: Your High Elf friends have probably all been cheating you all this time ;)

I'm afraid that's not actually correct. High Elves don't actually have the 'Fight In Extra Ranks' rule, just us our 'Forest Stalker' rule doesn't give us 'Fight In Extra Ranks'. The rule itself is Martial Prowess, and allows High Elf units to make supporting attacks with an extra rank, and to fire with one extra rank. The 'Fight In Extra Ranks' rule is an entirely separate and different rule, even if the effects are almost the same.
Nexensis
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Nexensis »

I'm afraid that's not actually correct. High Elves don't actually have the 'Fight In Extra Ranks' rule, just us our 'Forest Stalker' rule doesn't give us 'Fight In Extra Ranks'. The rule itself is Martial Prowess, and allows High Elf units to make supporting attacks with an extra rank, and to fire with one extra rank. The 'Fight In Extra Ranks' rule is an entirely separate and different rule, even if the effects are almost the same.
Yeah upon rereading it (I figured it gave the fight in extra rank rule) that is how it is. So Eternal Guard can charge and use the extra rank from fighting in the woods too.

Interestingly this also applies to the Arcane Bodkins arrow upgrade. They don't give the Armour piercing rule, they have "Wounds caused be Arcane Bodkins have a -3 armour saving throw modifier"
So even though they don't get Armour Piercing from the standard Asrai Longbow due to replacing the statline you could still give them the Armour Piercing rule for an effective -4 to armour saves.

Lore of Metal, Enchanted Blades of Aiban. Get +1 to hit and Armour Piercing :)

I am still astounded by how bad Games Workshop rules writers are at turning the intention of the rules into actual playable rules. And that they don't have people who playtest for them who read the rules and think "hey this doesn't mean what you think it means, the general public is going to have a hard time aggreeing on how the rules work now"
Domine Nox
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Domine Nox »

Nexensis wrote:I am still astounded by how bad Games Workshop rules writers are at turning the intention of the rules into actual playable rules. And that they don't have people who playtest for them who read the rules and think "hey this doesn't mean what you think it means, the general public is going to have a hard time aggreeing on how the rules work now"
Sorry to sidetrack but they do have people that play test, but they are very different from some of the gaming community. It's just like how I might find a combo you never thought of, etc. They play the game as a for fun story telling game. So their people don't try to find combinations that present the situations people keep stumbling upon by trying to get as much mileage out of their army as they can. Which is why the people that do keep finding what they consider rules conundrums.
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tau, Imperial guard (Tau auxilleries)

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

Domine Nox wrote:
Nexensis wrote:I am still astounded by how bad Games Workshop rules writers are at turning the intention of the rules into actual playable rules. And that they don't have people who playtest for them who read the rules and think "hey this doesn't mean what you think it means, the general public is going to have a hard time aggreeing on how the rules work now"
Sorry to sidetrack but they do have people that play test, but they are very different from some of the gaming community. It's just like how I might find a combo you never thought of, etc. They play the game as a for fun story telling game. So their people don't try to find combinations that present the situations people keep stumbling upon by trying to get as much mileage out of their army as they can. Which is why the people that do keep finding what they consider rules conundrums.
That's not exactly the whole problem though. Some of it is badly written, inconsistent in dealing with nearly identical situations, inconsistent in terminology or plain contradictory.
Minty wrote:...if you've been killed by a Wood Elf it's nothing personal, but Charles Darwin is smiling with approval.
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: All kind of Elves.

Post by NonnoSte »

I asked a couple of questions to former GW Italy.
The employee has been very nice and happy to help, but it didn't seem to me he was 100% sure about the answers.
Anyway here they are.
Q: can a WE army have multiple units with the same magic arrows, despite them being enchanted items?
A: yes, since they are units upgrades, it should be specified if it wasn't possible.

Q: can a model equipped with Bow of Loren shoot the Hail of Doom Arrow?
A: even if it wouldn't give any benefit, it's technically NOT possible, because it's a magic arrow. Anyway it will be surely FAQed hence I (GW employee) would allow that in a tournament.

Q: does Hawkeye rule stack with Sniper rule?
A: yes, any shooting attack of the model benefits from the Hawkeye rule, in the same way Poison works.

Q: do Steeds of Kurnous benefit of the extra attack from the Frenzy rule?
A: yes, the rule is intentionally not specified for riders or for mounts. Both of them have the rule, hence both benefit of the extra attack.

Any way he specifically told me that most of this questions need an official FAQ (he was 100% sure only about Steeds of Kurnous and almost sure about multiple magic arrows of the same type).