Got FAQs for new book?

All questions about difficult rules in here; for both Asrai as well as other armies.

Moderator: Council of Elders

godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Re: Got FAQs for new book?

Post by godswearhats »

Naturally the best guess won't represent everyone's opinion, otherwise there'd be no need for a FAQ!

I am going to send these to Mat Ward, so I hope he knows the Wood Elf book ...
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Well I always thought compiling a list of questions together as a community was meant to limit the amount letters being sent to GW meaning that one letter is more likely to get answered. If you write the questions in a neutral way less people are likely to write their own letter as they won't feel like your question doesn't reflect their opinion.

Right now the way your questions are written I'd say about 50% of players will want to write their own letter to Mat Ward. Which is a lot of mail to answer.
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
godswearhats
Elder of the Council

Post by godswearhats »

That's a good point.

However, I tried that approach before and got nothing. I know that the Studio folks are incredibly busy at the moment. So anything I can do to expedite us getting an FAQ seems like it might have a better chance of succeeding.

In the interest of harmony, I'll remove the assumed answers seeing you feel strongly about it.
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

I feel guilty now, I know you work hard for our community and I do appreciate it as I'm sure everyone dose. I was just trying to see things from a perspective that will please everyone, there are others who may feel as I do (looks around for support :paranoid: ) perhaps...

Frogboy
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tau, Imperial guard (Tau auxilleries)

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

frogboy wrote:I feel guilty now, I know you work hard for our community and I do appreciate it as I'm sure everyone dose. I was just trying to see things from a perspective that will please everyone, there are others who may feel as I do (looks around for support :paranoid: ) perhaps...

Frogboy
I agree that it helps get a properly thought out answer if the question is phrased correctly, and that the phrasing can also lead to a certain answer. The question ideally needs to make the reader see where the uncertainty is coming from.

At the same time, you don't want a question to include 3 pages of argument and counter argument.

On a seperate note, I'm not sure why the waystalker question is in there, as the rules cover that perfectly clearly.
Minty wrote:...if you've been killed by a Wood Elf it's nothing personal, but Charles Darwin is smiling with approval.
godswearhats
Elder of the Council

Post by godswearhats »

Coyle: I think the rules cover everything clearly except the Sisters of Twilight, but this isn't the thread for that debate :-)
Strongbow
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Strongbow »

Sorry if someone has already asked this question, but I found something interesting in the new AB last night.

The unit size for Great Eagles is listed at 1+. However, the unit size for a treeman is simply 1.

Does this difference mean that we can take any number of Great Eagles, just as long as they are in the same unit?
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

Strongbow wrote:Sorry if someone has already asked this question, but I found something interesting in the new AB last night.

The unit size for Great Eagles is listed at 1+. However, the unit size for a treeman is simply 1.

Does this difference mean that we can take any number of Great Eagles, just as long as they are in the same unit?
Yes, but if you take more than 2, you'd be better off with warhawk riders.
Minty wrote:...if you've been killed by a Wood Elf it's nothing personal, but Charles Darwin is smiling with approval.
Fitz
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Dwarves, Wood Elves, Tyranids

Post by Fitz »

Just an add-on here that's relevant. GW just rev'd every single FAQ for 40k. I would anticipate WHFB gets the same after 9th (rumoured for July), and nothing until then.
Strongbow
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Strongbow »

Agreed. So, effectively, this enhances them as war machine hunters?
Coyle_Ravane wrote:
Strongbow wrote:Sorry if someone has already asked this question, but I found something interesting in the new AB last night.

Yes, but if you take more than 2, you'd be better off with warhawk riders.
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

Strongbow wrote:Agreed. So, effectively, this enhances them as war machine hunters?
Warhawks are basically better for everything except redirection. One warhawk is better than one eagle, and cheaper too. The advantage of eagles is that you can take units of one, but the downside is you can only take 2 units.
godswearhats
Elder of the Council

Post by godswearhats »

Guys, please keep this thread for FAQ-related discussion.
godswearhats
Elder of the Council

Post by godswearhats »

I sent a single question to the GW FAQ email address last week. There has been no reply as yet, not even an automated one, so I don't hold out much hope for that address.

In a couple more weeks I'll try mailing Mat Ward directly.
Strongbow
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Strongbow »

Sorry if someone has already asked about it. Also, I'm writing from memory, so if I have it wrong, please forgive.

Under the Asrai Spear entry, it states, Fights in Extra Rank. Is that a special rule on top of the extra rank of spears? So...

In open ground, four ranks: first rank, supporting rank, spears, fights in extra rank.
In forests, five ranks: first rank, supporting rank, spears, fights in extra rank, forest stalker.

Is that correct, or am I just seeing things?
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Orcs and goblins, Vampire Counts, Wood Elves.

Post by hutobega »

no it's a spear.. that has the same rule as other spears but with armor piercing... Fights in extra ranks is what a spear does. so enemy charge you have first rank, second rank supporting attacks then third rank for having spears... if hoarded out you just add one...if you charge you only have first rank and second rank supporting attacks... add plus one if in hoard.
How do we prove we exist? Maybe we don't...
Lassoto
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tomb Kings, Skaven

Post by Lassoto »

It says so, because our spears have their own weapon entry. Compare it to what it says in the rulebook. Also it is not stated that asrai spears are spears, sounds dumb, but it should say "counts as spears" if your interpretation should be correct.
Domine Nox
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Domine Nox »

Lassoto wrote:It says so, because our spears have their own weapon entry. Compare it to what it says in the rulebook. Also it is not stated that asrai spears are spears, sounds dumb, but it should say "counts as spears" if your interpretation should be correct.
Why? Spear just has the rule "Fight in Extra Ranks" that is all a spear gives, the Asrai Spear gives "Armor Piercing and Fight in Extra Ranks." There is no 'spear' rule, there is just the Fight in Extra Ranks rule which is clearly explained in the BRB.
Lassoto
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tomb Kings, Skaven

Post by Lassoto »

Domine Nox wrote:
Lassoto wrote:It says so, because our spears have their own weapon entry. Compare it to what it says in the rulebook. Also it is not stated that asrai spears are spears, sounds dumb, but it should say "counts as spears" if your interpretation should be correct.
Why? Spear just has the rule "Fight in Extra Ranks" that is all a spear gives, the Asrai Spear gives "Armor Piercing and Fight in Extra Ranks." There is no 'spear' rule, there is just the Fight in Extra Ranks rule which is clearly explained in the BRB.
I was referring to page 91 in the BRB, where it explains what spears do, spears have a lot of rules, They have a range(combat), a strength(as user) and the special rule "fight in extra ranks" and also the addendum that the extra rank doesn't work if they charge.

Our Asrai Spears have the same range, also strength as user, and then the two additional rules, and also the addendum that the extra rank doesn't work if they charge. If they had meant for asrai spears to count as spears they would have excluded strength as user and the range of the weapon. Our Asrai spears are (like Blackbriar Javelins) a weapon that doesn't necessarily share rules with the generic weapon.

Some magic weapons have a single word in the beginning to make it the chosen type, it would say:
Gungnir
Spear. Gungnir's rules
This is why you don't get the "fight in extra ranks" twice.
Domine Nox
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Domine Nox »

Lassoto wrote:and the special rule "fight in extra ranks" and also the addendum that the extra rank doesn't work if they charge.
Which is superfluous, because the rule "Fight in Extra Ranks" already says they don't get the extra ranks if they charge. Pg 69, check it. And you can't have the same special rule twice. They either have the rule, or don't.
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

Remember that if they'd made it use the brb spear profile with armour piercing added, cavalry would lose the armour piercing in any turn in which they did not charge as the brb spear (mounted) profile says the spear is only used on the turn the model charges. The asrai spear says they only get the strength bonus on the turn they charge, so they can still be used for armour piercing the rest of the time.
godswearhats
Elder of the Council

Post by godswearhats »

For those of you interested in the Sisters of Twilight ruling, the Swedes (yet again) have come up with what I think is the best answer in their FAQ.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aixyhv6e1ke63 ... 0.pdf?dl=0
seanr
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by seanr »

Huh, interesting they've gone with an interpretation that wasn't really the consensus: T4 and W3 each on Gwindalor. That's how I interpreted it the first time I saw them, but have since been convinced by other arguments.
Bowmen74
Newcomer
Newcomer

Can shadowdancers have arcance items?

Post by Bowmen74 »

Hello - new to forum.

I understand that shadowdancers can channel even if they are not level 1 wizards, i.e. you don't go for the 60 pt upgrade.

Is it also true that a shadowdancer which is not upgraded could use an arcane item such as a dispel scroll?

Thanks for listening.
nXken
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: WE

Post by nXken »

Don't think so mate...

You need to be a wizard (Harry!) in order to channel dice AND use arcane items.

Sorry mate =/
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
Trude
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Trude »

Im annoyed at the fact that a lord or a hero on a horse does not get forest stalker. Everybody else has the skill. I would like for it to be changed in a faq. If anybody has found Im wrong please enlighten me.