Got FAQs for new book?

All questions about difficult rules in here; for both Asrai as well as other armies.

Moderator: Council of Elders

godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Got FAQs for new book?

Post by godswearhats »

There are already FAQs popping up for the new book. One thing I've found out is that the best way to get FAQs answered is to ask a very small number of questions.

So, I'll try to compile the questions here, and we can send them to GW. BUT, I want to keep the number small so we get answers. So I'll focus on the most important questions, and ask just the top 3.

#1. Naestra and Arahan on Gwindalor: there are no clear rules for a single model that is Monstrous Cavalry with two characters, and the Sisters' special rules cause confusion and debate.

Are they Monstrous Cavalry and if so, how does this work? Are both Sisters T4, W3? Do they each get a Look Out, Sir! roll if a unit of Warhawk Riders is nearby, or one roll for the whole model, or no roll at all because they are technically not a Lone Character? If they are hit by a template/cannon, is it one roll to wound, or two? If Savage Beast of Horros is cast on them, do all three (Naestra, Arahan and Gwindalor) get +3 S and +3 A, or just one Sister, or both Sisters?

#2. Can multiple units take the same enchanted arrows? e.g. two units of Glade Guard, each with Trueflight arrows?

#3. If a Waystalker is using the Bow of Loren, can he use his 'aimed shot' and Sniper rules, for 2 Sniper shots with no armor saves?

#4. When using Acorns of the Ages, are the D3 forests deployed before or after table sides are chosen?

#5. Does Orion use the Spear of Kurnous in close combat? If so, does it still have S7, Multiple Wounds(D3) and allow no armour saves?
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Re: Got FAQs for new book?

Post by frogboy »

#2 Why is Frogboy still waiting for his Limited Edition Army book ?
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Avalon101
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Avalon101 »

Can the waywatcher Hero use multi-shot on top of the bow of loren?
SpanielBear
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by SpanielBear »

At what point are the woods from the Acorns of Ages placed? Before or after table edges are chosen?

Is the 1 attack limit on the Waywatcher hero a typo (please be yes...)?

Can characters be placed with ambushing units of Glade Riders?
Have Fun, Stay Sane, Enjoy the Madness.
Lassoto
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tomb Kings, Skaven

Post by Lassoto »

I think I can answer some of these questions :)
SpanielBear wrote:At what point are the woods from the Acorns of Ages placed? Before or after table edges are chosen?
It says before deployment, before deployment is after table edges are chosen. You can't begin deployment before you have a table edge to deploy on.
SpanielBear wrote:Can characters be placed with ambushing units of Glade Riders?
No, re-read the rules on deployment, characters are all deployed at the same time and don't actually belong to a unit until they are deployed in them.

Also can the Bow of Loren be combined with the Sniper special rule on the Waystalker, the sniper rules say that you exchange your normal shooting for a special shot.

Also
Frogboy wrote:#2 Why is Frogboy still waiting for his Limited Edition Army book ?
Why am I also still waiting for it, I really wish they would send it already.
Last edited by Lassoto on 04 May 2014, 21:37, edited 1 time in total.
Sunshine coconut
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: O&G, Ogres, WE's. Crons for 40k :)
Location: Queensland Australia (Although my blood is pure Kiwi, through and through

Post by Sunshine coconut »

Lassoto, you are a wise man. I think it'd be wise for them to clear up the acorn question. Or else we have to spend a decade of people continuously posting about this rule ;)
Monsters shot down by arrows: Cockatrice, Stonehorn, Thunder Tusk, Manticore, Chimera, Blood Thirster, Galrauch, Abomination, Brood Horror, Jabbaslythe, Hydra, Kharibdyss, Stegagon, Necrosphinx, Warsphinx, Terror Gheist, Varghulf, Giant, Frost Phoenix aaannnnnnd Treeman :(
V123
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by V123 »

Can a waywatcher hero use his multiple shots rule with the multiple shots rule of bow of loren? For a total of 4 shots? Also for tge arrow of kournos lol if i have 3 characters with that rule do i still only make one shot? Or 3 strength 3 hits?
help spread the peace... PLANT A SEED
Lassoto
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Lassoto »

V123 wrote:Can a waywatcher hero use his multiple shots rule with the multiple shots rule of bow of loren? For a total of 4 shots?
No, they are both the same rule, multiple shots, you use the best one.(I don't have my book, yet, but I read on this forum that BoL is multiple shots(A+1))
V123 wrote:Also for tge arrow of kournos lol if i have 3 characters with that rule do i still only make one shot? Or 3 strength 3 hits?
I assume it is one shot per instance of the rule. As I said above, I don't have my book yet, so I can't say for sure.
godswearhats
Elder of the Council

Post by godswearhats »

Avalon101 wrote:Can the waywatcher Hero use multi-shot on top of the bow of loren?
Yes, but it won't do what you expect. He will have the special rule Multiple Shots (2) and the special rule Multiple Shots (A+1) (which is also 2). As we all know, unless explicitly stated, two copies of the same special rule do not stack. So either way you still get 2 shots. However, you can stack it with his Sniper shot and his 'aimed shot' ability, giving two Sniper shots with no armor save.
godswearhats
Elder of the Council

Post by godswearhats »

V123 wrote:Also for the arrow of kournos lol if i have 3 characters with that rule do i still only make one shot? Or 3 strength 3 hits?
Just one. The rule says "if the enemy general is within line of sight of at least one of your characters with this special rule he takes a hit"
godswearhats
Elder of the Council

Post by godswearhats »

Lots of debate on Twitter about whether we can take multiple units with the same enchanted arrows. I've added that as question #2.
Lassoto
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Lassoto »

godswearhats wrote:Lots of debate on Twitter about whether we can take multiple units with the same enchanted arrows. I've added that as question #2.
Obviously they can, but it's a good idea to get it into the FAQ, so people stop asking about it.
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Lassoto wrote:
godswearhats wrote:Lots of debate on Twitter about whether we can take multiple units with the same enchanted arrows. I've added that as question #2.
Obviously they can, but it's a good idea to get it into the FAQ, so people stop asking about it.
Twitter !? Dose Warhammer have its own account or something ? Bring back the good old days of making up your own rules when you got stuck. Or just dice it :D :thumbsup:

Haha twitter ! That's the funniest thing I've seen for a while
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
High Terror
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by High Terror »

Fellow asaria (lawyers?), on page 93 wardancers have the option "any model may exchange its hand weapons for an Asari spear." Of course one of the benefits of an asarai spear is to fight in additional rank... So my question is, "if I run with three ranks of wardancers... can I "only" upgrade the weapons for the third rank and leave the first two with their two hand weapons?" I've never heard of being able to individually tool members of a unit but that appears to be what the rules are hinting at... :crazy: what do you all read this rule to mean?
Zimmonda
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Zimmonda »

Does forest strider let us have ranks/be steadfast in a forest?
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Zimmonda wrote:Does forest strider let us have ranks/be steadfast in a forest?

No; it allows us to ignore Dangerous Terrain tests when moving through forests. Inexplicably, we still can't be Steadfast in a forest...
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tau, Imperial guard (Tau auxilleries)

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

Are the sisters of the thorn meant to have the only javelins in the world which get LESS accurate with a run-up.

Hopefullydrawing their attention to it will get an errata.
Minty wrote:...if you've been killed by a Wood Elf it's nothing personal, but Charles Darwin is smiling with approval.
geofreak
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by geofreak »

I will be following this thread here, but there is also a similar thread up on The Warhmmer Forum, so feel free to post these questions there as well.

http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic ... 3&t=122957

Questions collected from these threads will be submitted to GW at the end of the month.

For those that are curious, the Direwolf FAQ Council is a group of 6 volunteers that collect outstanding questions/issues from the playing community and passes them directly on the the GW design team. The group has existed since the 6th edition Ravening Hordes days, and was a part of the old Direwolf Yahoo group based in the US. Initially the Council put out their own FAQs for all the questions that were not answered in the official GW FAQs, but nowadays acts as the liaison between the design team and the players. And no, despite our efforts, we cannot influence GW to update the FAQs on a regular basis.

Thanks,

Geofreak--Rick Hoy
Direwolf FAQ Council Head Honcho
godswearhats
Elder of the Council

Post by godswearhats »

Hey Rick,

I've seen those FAQ threads on the Warhammer forum and I think they are a good idea. However, they tend to be really long and haven't generated any FAQs in the last year so I thought just restricting to the top 3 would increase the chances of success.
godswearhats
Elder of the Council

Post by godswearhats »

High Terror wrote:Fellow asaria (lawyers?), on page 93 wardancers have the option "any model may exchange its hand weapons for an Asari spear." Of course one of the benefits of an asarai spear is to fight in additional rank... So my question is, "if I run with three ranks of wardancers... can I "only" upgrade the weapons for the third rank and leave the first two with their two hand weapons?" I've never heard of being able to individually tool members of a unit but that appears to be what the rules are hinting at... :crazy: what do you all read this rule to mean?
There are definitely examples of other units where you can give them different weapons in different ranks. So yes, you can have two hand weapons in your front rank and spears in your back two ranks for the Armor Piercing.
tomrobo23
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by tomrobo23 »

godswearhats wrote:
High Terror wrote:Fellow asaria (lawyers?), on page 93 wardancers have the option "any model may exchange its hand weapons for an Asari spear." Of course one of the benefits of an asarai spear is to fight in additional rank... So my question is, "if I run with three ranks of wardancers... can I "only" upgrade the weapons for the third rank and leave the first two with their two hand weapons?" I've never heard of being able to individually tool members of a unit but that appears to be what the rules are hinting at... :crazy: what do you all read this rule to mean?
There are definitely examples of other units where you can give them different weapons in different ranks. So yes, you can have two hand weapons in your front rank and spears in your back two ranks for the Armor Piercing.
take maneaters for example, pretty common practice to have 1-2 great weapon maneaters in the second rank for if you need to fight armour, cheaper than outfitting the full unit too.
geofreak
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by geofreak »

godswearhats wrote:Hey Rick,

I've seen those FAQ threads on the Warhammer forum and I think they are a good idea. However, they tend to be really long and haven't generated any FAQs in the last year so I thought just restricting to the top 3 would increase the chances of success.
We submit the documents directly to the design team, but what they do with them is anyone's guess. I am sure FAQs are way down on their priority list, but going a year between FAQ updates (including several new army books, too!) is disheartening. I hope our incoming Dwarf submission will remind them that the FAQs are woefully behind schedule.
godswearhats
Elder of the Council

Post by godswearhats »

Yup. Here's hoping. The feedback I got was that the design team is slammed and FAQs are low priority. I'm guessing that WH40k v7 was what was slamming them. Maybe some time is freed up now with the imminent release of that product?
iampetty
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by iampetty »

As far as I can tell, until we get an official FAQ from GW, Naestra & Arahan would work straight out of the basic rule book. For normal shots, after you've determined how many hits you have, you roll a d6 for each. 1-4 would be Ceithin-Har/Gwindalor, and 5-6 would be the Sisters. If you got a 5-6, you would have needed to either establish before the first roll that 5 was one sister, and 6 was the other, or roll another die after allocating the sisters to 1-3, 4-6. Canons would work the same. If it hits the mount, you use the mount's toughness. If it hits one of the sisters, it's Toughness 3. But a canon can't kill both sisters with one shot.

I see no reason why different units can't take the same enchanted arrows. Nowhere does it say in the book that they would be limited at all.
godswearhats
Elder of the Council

Post by godswearhats »

iampetty wrote:As far as I can tell, until we get an official FAQ from GW, Naestra & Arahan would work straight out of the basic rule book. For normal shots, after you've determined how many hits you have, you roll a d6 for each. 1-4 would be Ceithin-Har/Gwindalor, and 5-6 would be the Sisters. If you got a 5-6, you would have needed to either establish before the first roll that 5 was one sister, and 6 was the other, or roll another die after allocating the sisters to 1-3, 4-6. Canons would work the same. If it hits the mount, you use the mount's toughness. If it hits one of the sisters, it's Toughness 3. But a canon can't kill both sisters with one shot.
You are quoting the rules for Ridden Monsters, which don't apply to Monstrous Beasts - characters on Monstrous Beasts become Monstrous Cavalry. And you're also misquoting regarding cannon shots - anything with a template, including cannon, hits all the riders and the monster. So, there are no rules in the basic rulebook which cover the Naestrahan problem :-)