[8th] Wood Elves vs Tomb Kings

Here is the place for all your reports of battles against those who seek to defile our sacred glades.

Moderator: Council of Elders

LiveWaaaaagh
Newcomer
Newcomer

[8th] Wood Elves vs Tomb Kings

Post by LiveWaaaaagh »

A great battle took place this weekend as the skeletal legions of the Tomb Kings marched north and into Athel Loren in search of wood.

Please note the below was written from the point of view of the Tomb Kings, so if you see "my", it's about the TKs. We did re-write the post match at the bottom from the point of view of her Wood Elves.

Rules
3x3 Table
1750 Points
50% Lord Allowance

Tomb Kings

Lord/Hero
Tomb King, Armor of Destinty, shield.
Liche High Priest, lvl 4 of Neherkara, book of Ashur, talisman of preservation
Ramhotep the Visionary (gives Frenzy & Hatred to unit)

Core
35x Skeleton Warriors
20x Skeleton Archers (Priest here)
3x Skeleton Chariots
5x Horse Archers

Special
20x Tomb Guard w/razor banner & halbreds (Tomb King & Rmahotep here)

Rare
Casket of Souls

Priest rolled for Smiting (extra attack), Cursed Blades (Killing Blow), Dessication (-1St. -1 Tough)and the movement curse (Movement reduced by D3 + Any movement is treated as dangerous terrain)

--
Wood Elves

Lords/Heroes
Treeman Ancient lvl2 of Life
Naestra & Arahan on Dragon

Core
20x Eternal Guard
15x Glade Guard

Special
5x Sisters of the Thorn

Rare
1x Treeman

Sisters had Curse of Anrehir and shield of thorns
Ancient rolled for Shield of Thorns and Regrowth

--
Tomb Kings won the roll and chose the side with a forest, to try and eliminate that forest from much Wood elf use.

DEPLOYMENT
[Casket <- Behind archers]
[Chariots][Tomb Guard][Archers][Warriors][Horse Archers]

[Sisters on Dragon][Treeman][Glade Guard][Eteral Guard][Sisters of the thorn]
[Treeman] Ancient]

--
TURN 1

TOMB KINGS

Charges:

None

Movement:

All units move up their 4''. Chariots move up their 8''.
Horse Archers go "around" the Vanguarding Sisters of the thorn on the TK's left flank and end up on the Glade Guard's flank.

Magic:

Smiting goes off on archers.
Movement Curse goes off on Sisters of the thorn.
Rest is dispelled.

Shooting:

Archers shoot at Glade Guard withs smiting and kill a whopping 7-8 Glade Guard. Panic check but stay.
Hore Archers also shoot at Glade Guard for an additional kill.
Chariots shoot at sisters on dragon but do nothing.

Combat:

None

Resolution:

None

Recap:

Glade Guard decimated down to 5-6 units in 1 shooting phase. Ouch.

WOOD ELVES

Charges:

Dragon attempts to charge chariots and FAILS rolling a massive 1 and 2.

Movement:

Sisters of the thorn move up the battlefield, around the warriors to try and hit the casket. They test for dangerous terrain and lose 1 sister. Movement was reduced by just 1.
Treeman moves up and Eternal Guard move up also, but at an angle. They are now "facing" towards the archers, instead of going head to head with the skeleton warriors.

Magic:

Don't remember honestly, but don't think anything of note happened.

Shooting:

Glade Guard shoot at chariots and produce 2 wounds. Sisters on dragon don't shoot due to failed charge.
Sister of the thorn shoot at casket and produce 1 wound.

Combat:

None

Resolution:

None

Recap:

The failed charge means the chariots will likely get the charge in next turn. Eternal Guard are trying to make their way across the field before the skeleton warriors tarpit them. Will they be able to?

TURN 2

TOMB KINGS

Charges:

Chariots charge dragon who holds.

Movement:

Tomb Guard move up 4'' again.
Skeleton warriors do as well. I don't remember if they charged or simply moved up 4'', but regardless. They didn't make it to the Eternal Guard.

Magic:

-1 Toughness & Strength goes off on dragon.
Casket goes off on Eternal Guard and they lose 1.
All else gets dispelled.

Shooting:

Archers shoot at Glade Guard but kill 1 only this time.

Combat:

Chariots produce 3 wounds on the sisters ( but not 4, which is huge, because that means the sisters come back to life - as you gotta kill both, or they come back to life. )
Awful rolls mean dragon does 3 wounds back only.

Resolution:

With the charge and banner, the dragon loses by 2, but still need an 8 to stay and... DRAGON ROLLS AN 11!

Dragon goes 8'' back, but the chariots only roll a 5!! Dragon still alive!

Recap:

Dragon & sisters broke and almost went off the board but stayed within the last 2'' or so before going off! Huge break for the Wood Elves.

WOOD ELVES

Charges:

Treeman Charges Tomb Guard
Eternal Guard attempt a long bomb charge at Tomb Guard and make it in - on the flank!
Sisters of the thorn charge casket.

Movement:

treeman Ancient moves out of the forest and into the middle of the field to intercept skeleton warriors.

Sisters on Dragon rally and turn around!

Magic:

Shield of thorn gets dispelled
and regrowth fails to cast.

Shooting:

Glade Guard fail to do much.

Combat:

Treeman fails to single out Rmahotep for special attention and gets obliterated.

Some Tomb Guard are lost.

Casket goes down to sisters of the thorn who take a wound in return.

Resolution:

None

Recap:

Tomb Guard go to town because Ramhotep was not singled out. Treeman is gone, Dragon almost ran away.
But on the other side, casket is gone, and the skeleton warriors are in no man's land doing nothing.

TURN 3

TOMB KINGS

Charges:

Skeleton Warriors charge Treeman Ancient.
Chariots charge Dragon.

Movement:

Archers do a swift reform, turn round and face the sisters of the thorn, who were behind them.

Magic:

Smiting goes off on Tomb guard and Killing blow on 5s, not that it mattered actually though as the -3 was more than enough to get through the Eternal Guard's armor.

Shooting:

Archers hit the sisters but 4+ ward saves their day.

Combat:

Skeleton Warriors begin the long, drawn out battle vs the Ancient. They lose around 10 between deaths + crumble.
Ancient loses 1 wound in return.

Dragon and sisters came to play this time and put serious wounds on chariots )who I think had recouped some at some points, but I failed to mention it. They once again manage to do 3 wounds not he sisters, so they're alive but the chariots lose combat. Not enough to crumble though, which is good news.

Over on the Eternal vs Tomb combat, Rahmotep takes a wound but otherwise Tomb Guard destroy eternal guard. Only 10 or so left, but they are stubborn, so they hold.

Resolution:

Eternal Guard stick, Chariots don't fully crumble and warriors take 10 wounds.

Recap:

Well, okay, so Tomb Guard are doing their job, chariots are holding the dragon for quite a while.
Casket is gone and now the sisters of the thorn are likely to charge Liche priest into oblivion.. Hmm.. One of those times that things are going very well, and very bad at the same time.

WOOD ELVES

Charges:

Sisters of the thorn charge into archers and stand base to base with priest.

Movement:

Glade Guard move to shoot at horse archers.

Magic:

Regrowth is cast and sisters regain all their wounds.

Shooting:

Glade Guard kill all but 2 horse archers.

Combat:

Tomb Guard finish off Eternal Guard
Dragon & Sisters finish off Chariots.
Warriors keep Treeman ancient busy but lose another 10~.

Sisters of the thorn kill liche priest + some archers.

Resolution:

Horse Archers crumble from Liche Priest dying.
Rest remain okay.

Recap:

TK lost magic and Liche Priest in 1 turn. Essentially just leaving Tomb Guard as TK's only valuable unit, but they still have the Tomb King and Ramhotep..

TURN 4

TOMB KINGS

Charges:

Lots of contemplation here. Can I charge the Ancient with my TG and finish him off 1 turn? He has 6 wounds and Toughness 6.. hmmmm!
Or am I better off having the warriors continue their thing with the ancient while the TG kill handle the dragon?

Decisions.. Decisions..

TOMB GUARD CHARGE DRAGON!

Movement:

None.

Magic:

None.

Shooting:

None.

Combat:

Sisters on dragon kill Ramhotep, But TK & TG kill the sisters. Dragon still alive.
Warriors lose another 7-8~
Archers lose several as well.

Resolution:

Warriors & Archers crumble a bit but still hold.
Dragon loses combat but sticks. Does a good amount of damage as well. Only 13~ TG remain by now.

Recap:

Well, this is not looking great. I have no magic to replenish #s. Skellies are going down as are archers. I can probably dispatch the Dragon soon though.

WOOD ELVES

Charges:

None.

Movement:

Glade Guard move to position themselves between the Ancient's flank/rear and the TG.

Magic:

Nothing of note that I can remember.

Shooting:

None.

Combat:

Dragon produces 2 wounds while a bad roll for the TK and no more frenzy/hatred, means TG produce also about 2-3.

For both the Archers & Warriors, they lose many units, and are left with maybe 7~ or so.
Resolution:

None

Recap:

Can I dispatch dragon and turn around to face the incoming Treeman Ancient & sisters of the Thorn?

TURN 5

TOMB KINGS

Charges:

None.

Movement:

None.

Magic:

None.

Shooting:

None.

Combat:

Skeleton Warriors continue to be a tarpit and somehow still manage to keep the champion alive.

The Skeleton Archers lose everyone except the banner and the champion.

Tomb Guard suffer two wounds, but deal 4 in return and the dragon goes down!

Recap:

Archers & Warriors will go down next turn for sure. Glade Guard can stop the TG for 1 turn. Let's see what happens!

WOOD ELVES

Charges:

None!

Movement:

None.

Magic:

regrowth heals 1 sister of the thorn, who are back to full strength.

Shooting:

Glade guard shoot @ Tomb Guard and kill 1.

Combat:

Skeleton Warriors & Archers fought the good fight but crumble and go down.

Resolution:

Warriros & Archers are gone.

Recap:

An uneventful turn.

TURN 6

TOMB KINGS

Charges:

Tomb Guard charge Glade Guard.

Movement:

None.

Magic:

None.

Shooting:

None.

Combat:

Tomb Guard dispatch Glade Guard in quick fashion.

Resolution:

Tomb Guard reform to face Ancient and sisters.

Recap:

Last turn of the game, I only have 10 Tomb Guard left + the king.

But he's facing a long bomb charge with the sisters.. hmm!

WOOD ELVES

Charges:

Ancient charges Tomb Guard and makes it.
Sisters FAIL their charge.

Movement:

Magic:

None.

Shooting:

None.

Combat:

Tomb King gets some bad rolls and produce a whole lot of nothing.
Tomb Guard produce 1 wound on ancient.

In return, Ancient does 1 wound only.

Resolution:

None

Recap:

The end of the game and I was hoping I could take the ancient down since the sisters failed. But it wasn't to be.

Sisters were worth around 170~ and Ancient was worth 290.
Tomb Guard remaining 10 units + king were about 350 ish points so...

it's a TIE!

POST MATCH:

One of the best games we've played here. Tomb Kings started on a tear with strong magic and a lot of destruction by the Tomb Guard unit. Then Wood Elves were able to get the casket and liche priest and the game changed very quickly. Some unfortunate rolls like the dragon failing the first charge on the chariots, or the dragon running away from measly chariots changed the game, but the treeman ancient was clutch as was the dragon and sisters when they decided it was time to get serious.
The sisters of the thorn did what they do best - they went for the casket and it was gone by turn 2.

Very very fun game!
Live Warhammer Content.

Visit LiveWaaaaagh.com
Follow us on Twitch - Twitch.tv/livewaaaaagh

Live 8th Edition games, painting sessions, Blood Bowl II, Total War: Warhammer and more!
LadyLoec
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Vampire Counts, Empire, Warriors of Chaos, Skaven, Dark Elves, Dwarves

Re: [8th] Wood Elves vs Tomb Kings

Post by LadyLoec »

Looked like a really fun game. Did the dragon get to use his breath weapon at all? It's so low strength it's hardly game changing, but worth remembering it's there!
Etheneus
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elf

Post by Etheneus »

I don't know about Nehekara lore but if smiting is +1A it won't affect shooting on his archers. Shooting in always 1 shot unless the multi shot rule is there like our special bow of loren that allow us A on profile +1. So you would have had plenty more GG alive.
LadyLoec
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Vampire Counts, Empire, Warriors of Chaos, Skaven, Dark Elves, Dwarves

Post by LadyLoec »

Etheneus wrote:I don't know about Nehekara lore but if smiting is +1A it won't affect shooting on his archers. Shooting in always 1 shot unless the multi shot rule is there like our special bow of loren that allow us A on profile +1. So you would have had plenty more GG alive.
If I remember correctly, Incantation isn't +1A, it basically gives you another shooting or combat phase for that unit
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Current rule is +1A and Multiple Shots (2) in addition, if the unit has Bow or Great Bow.

TK book, pg 61.
Etheneus
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elf

Post by Etheneus »

Phil Rossiter wrote:Current rule is +1A and Multiple Shots (2) in addition, if the unit has Bow or Great Bow.

TK book, pg 61.
Ouch! :eek: I'll remember that when facing my friends undead legion, He has only once brought Nehekara lore but have started to talk about it as a support lore.
LadyLoec
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by LadyLoec »

Etheneus wrote: Ouch! :eek: I'll remember that when facing my friends undead legion, He has only once brought Nehekara lore but have started to talk about it as a support lore.
Not faced it for a couple of years, but the spells are pretty great - the casting value is just overcosted.
LiveWaaaaagh
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by LiveWaaaaagh »

Yea, smiting is great and the 1 spell that I try to get every time. Not only does it do as stated, but it's also an augment spell and that means lore attribute = heals the unit. In this case, both smited units were at full strength, I think when they got it, but still.
Live Warhammer Content.

Visit LiveWaaaaagh.com
Follow us on Twitch - Twitch.tv/livewaaaaagh

Live 8th Edition games, painting sessions, Blood Bowl II, Total War: Warhammer and more!