[8th] Wood Elves vs Dwarfs - 1200pts

Here is the place for all your reports of battles against those who seek to defile our sacred glades.

Moderator: Council of Elders

LiveWaaaaagh
Newcomer
Newcomer

[8th] Wood Elves vs Dwarfs - 1200pts

Post by LiveWaaaaagh »

Hi all,

So this weekend we streamed live a game of 1200 points between Dwarfs and Wood Elves on Twitch. While we initially considered not posting this report because we're not entirely happy with how the filming came out, we decided to do it regardless with the hope of getting feedback, plus providing content to our fellow Asrai here.

Without further delay, please see the link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_e7LM_FmD0&t=4282s

We hope you enjoy the battle!

If interested, we're looking for feedback in 3 areas:

1 - Camera work - Is what is happening clear to you?
2 - Rules - What did we miss? In particular, there's a big combat resolution at the end that I hadn't come across and because we're filming live, we can't say "hey guys, hold on, let us look this up for 5 minutes". The big combat at the end takes place with 2 units of hers and 3 of mine, and we think we did the resolution wrong, but can't find in rule book the correct way.
3 - Any other feedback.

Thanks!
Live Warhammer Content.

Visit LiveWaaaaagh.com
Follow us on Twitch - Twitch.tv/livewaaaaagh

Live 8th Edition games, painting sessions, Blood Bowl II, Total War: Warhammer and more!
LadyLoec
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Vampire Counts, Empire, Warriors of Chaos, Skaven, Dark Elves, Dwarves

Re: [8th] Wood Elves vs Dwarfs - 1200pts

Post by LadyLoec »

Great report - looks like you're learning quickly. Wood elves vs dwarfs is a match up I see often, as my husband has a dwarf army! Taking a dragon and a treeman against a dwarf gunline at such low pointage was very risky, but could've gone worse. I used the sisters of the thorn for the first time the other day too, and I got into wood elves for similar reasons (it's hard to get behind an army that has not a single model of your gender!).

Couple of things for next time:
- Sisters of the Thorn can march and shoot because they're fast cavalry - huge advantage for them, as it means you can vanguard, march them up behind enemy lines, and fire off poisoned javelins at war machines (effectively moving 30" and then still shooting!). They are very short ranged though.
- Shooting attacks go on the toughness of the war machine, not the crew (as they're effectively bunkering down under it), so it should've been much harder to wound. That's why you'll often see scouts with hagbane arrows: Poison is massively useful when hunting war machines. Close combat attacks go on the toughness of the crew though.
- Asrai longbows are armour piercing, and if you take magic arrows, all the magic arrows come with armour piercing too.
- I haven't got my rulebook handy and don't usually field a dragon, but I think it's a forest spirit so would get a 6+ ward against the cannon? Treeman definitely should have had his ward save.
- I think I saw you do -1 to hit at the sisters of the thorn because they're mounted? Mounted models aren't -1 to hit, they're +1 to armour.
- Irondrakes are only 18" range - not sure they were in range to shoot the sisters of twilight in your turn 2??
- Sisters of the Thorn were in the Irondrakes' front, not flank I think. Well worth investing in a laser pointer or arc of visibility or something to check that, as the position of a charge can often make or break a game!
- Sisters of the Thorn have asrai spears: Armour piercing and +1 strength on the charge
- Sisters of the Thorn are swiftstride, so should've been rolling 3 dice and discarding the lowest.
- The war machine crew are stubborn due to gunner's pride.
- When the fleeing dryads were charged by the big dwarf unit, they should've continued fleeing.
- Thunderers can't move and shoot.

Hope this helps for next time.

All in all, a good game. I think a lot of the rules issues above are because it's your first time using the sisters (is it your first time using fast cav?). I'm still trying to get a handle on them myself, and am finding that they are a bit of a "jack of all trades, master of none" unit. They don't really excel at much, but are OK at a lot of things (flanking, war machine hunting, casting if you've failed with your main mage earlier in the phase, durable mage bunker etc).

Looking forward to your next game. More tomb kings?
LiveWaaaaagh
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by LiveWaaaaagh »

Wow! So much to say here! But first and foremost, tha k you so much for watching and providing the feedback on rules.

It's tough sometimes with some rules that you are like "is it this.. Or that?" And because we do it live, we can't remember or have the time to properly look, which hurts.

So let me tackle the items you mentioned one by one:

Before anything, yes - first time with the sisters and we didn't know all their rules. She's learning Warhammer and I am learning Wood Elves, plus honestly remembering a lot from memory, so things will get dropped every now and then. That's why it helps so much when you point errors out like you did.

- Forgot sisters could march and shoot. Completely.
- Of course shooting attacks go on war machine toughness. Lol. Wow!
-Asrai longbows and spears being armour piercing - just gotta remember that.
-I thought we gave the dragon the 6+ ward. Will need to re-check. If we didn't, it was an innocent miss.
-Cavalry - yes, I don't field Cavalry really with Dwarfs or TK, so I couldn't remember if it was -1 to hit or +1armour. 50-50 and chose the wrong one.
- If I said Irondrakes had 24", it was an innocent mistake. I might have said trollgammer torpedo is 24" and drakeguns 18"? Otherwise, just a victim of trying to read least amount possible.
- Thunderers can reform and shoot, but can't move and shoot, is my understanding, which is what they did. Unless I read wrong in BRB.
- We don't have the laser and eyeing it, it looks like the sisters could see more of the flank than the front, but it could have been different with laser or a way to properly check.

We'll continue learning Wood Elves and memorizing more rules as we go, but again, tha k you for taking the time to watch and comment!
Live Warhammer Content.

Visit LiveWaaaaagh.com

Live 8th Edition games, painting sessions, Blood Bowl II, Total War: Warhammer and more!
LadyLoec
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Vampire Counts, Empire, Warriors of Chaos, Skaven, Dark Elves, Dwarves

Post by LadyLoec »

At my old gaming store, we used to play in 2hr rotations, so you had 2hrs to set up the table, get your stuff out of cases, deploy, play, and pack away again ready for the next guys. We used to find it made life a lot easier to print out crib-sheets beforehand with statlines and special rules for the units we were using, weapons profiles for any special weapons we were using (like the trollhammer torpedo or the blackbriar javelins), basically anything army-specific we could to make looking up rules questions less time consuming. That and keeping the big rulebook open at the summary pages with the to hit charts, miscast table etc saved a lot of time.

I haven't done that since I moved away and started playing without the time limit, but come to think of it I have no idea why I ever stopped :confused: - it was so useful!
LiveWaaaaagh
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by LiveWaaaaagh »

That's similar to what we try to do. A live game can't be much longer than 1:30hrs and really have no long pauses, or else people lose interest.

We had the summary open and took notes but obviously not good enough notes, in particular with the sisters!

We'll continue working at it! Your feedback is very useful!

And yes, more coming this weekend!
Live Warhammer Content.

Visit LiveWaaaaagh.com