AoS: WE vs Daemons of Chaos

Here is the place for all your reports of battles against those who seek to defile our sacred glades.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Tropic
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Daemons (Slaanesh-heavy), Tyranids, Eldar

AoS: WE vs Daemons of Chaos

Post by Tropic »

I had a chance to try out the new AoS rules with Wood Elves (Wanderers and Sylvaneth both) on Friday. It was my third AoS game, the first two with Tomb Kings and Daemons. My opponent was playing his second AoS game with Daemons, third or fourth overall, so we were on equal footing from an experience perspective. We made a gentleman's agreement to field a minimum of five Warscrolls apiece. That was the only limitation. All other rules were based on those written with no other modifications or limitations provided.

The game was on a standard GW board. All 2x2 sections had 1 terrain feature in them with the exception of the SW corner that had 2. I erroneously had one of the terrain features randomly placed be a Sylvaneth Wildwood, which wound up in one of his deployment squares (center N section), away from where I was deployed. Just wanted to point out I didn't play the battalion formation that lets me place the Sylvaneth Wildwoods wherever I want, so that was a mistake I made during the game. He won the roll-off and divided the board into two "L"s, I selected the SW corner "L" as mine and he deployed first. Here were the drops in order (mine in bold):

20 Plaguebearers w/ full command in the center N section
20 Glade Guard w/ full command in the center S section facing N
Skull Cannon of Khorne in the NE section
Durthu in the SW section
10 Pink Horrors w/ full command N of the Plaguebearers in the center N section
10 Glade Riders w/ full command spanning the SW and NW sections in a 2x5 deployment facing E
Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury S of Skull Cannon of Khorne on border between NE and SE sections
7 Waywatchers w/ captain in forest in NW section
Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage NE of Plaguebearers in center N section
Spellweaver SW of Glade Guard in SW section
10 Pink Horrors w/ full command on a Deadly terrain feature in the SE section
10 Wildwood Rangers w/ full command N of Waywatchers in 2x5 formation facing W in NW section
Soul Grinder on border of center N and NE sections
Treeman Ancient 6" NW of Durthu in SW section
***He was done deploying***
Branchwraith between Treeman Ancient and Durthu in SW section
5 Wild Riders w/ full command E of Glade Guard in center S section

Model count was 56-44 in my favor. No Sudden Death. He named his Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury his General. I named Durthu my General. He chose to go first.

TURN 1
Daemons
In the Hero Phase, he used the Bloodthirster's Command ability on itself, giving it the ability to Run and Charge. The SE Pink Horrors summoned another unit of 10 Pink Horrors, which set up 9" W of the caster. The new unit cast Arcane Bolt on the Glade Guard, killing 3.

In the Movement Phase, he ran the Plaguebearers 6" W towards my deployment zone. The N Pink Horrors ran 9" W to keep pace. The General Bloodthirster ran a total of 16" SW towards my Wild Riders but were still 12" away. The S Pink Horrors moved E 4" to distance themselves from my Wild Riders. The Skull Cannon moved their standard distance WSW to get closer to my army. The N Bloodthirster moved 12" WSW to hang behind the Plaguebearers. The Soul Grinder moved its distance SW into the Sylvaneth Wildwood in the center N section.

In Shooting, the General killed one Wild Rider. The Soul Grinder killed two more Glade Guard. The Skull Cannon missed.

No charges or assaults.

In the Battleshock Phase, the Glade Guard made its roll.

Wood Elves
In the Hero Phase, Durthu, the Branchwraith and the Treeman Ancient all made their Mystical rolls (the forest was Mystical and could make units befuddled on rolls of 1). Durthu used his special ability to generate a new Sylvaneth Wildwood between him and the other Sylvaneth Wildwood such that they touched on a corner with one another. The Spellweaver tried to heal the lost Wild Rider and failed. The Treeman Ancient tried to Awaken the Wood in which the Soul Grinder stood and failed. The Branchwraith successfully cast Rouse the Wrath and generated a unit of 5 Dryads in the Sylvaneth Wildwood that the Soul Grinder sat in.

In the Movement Phase, the Waywatchers moved to the W edge of the forest for better range on the advancing Plaguebearers. Durthu ran E 8" to get into the new Sylvaneth Wildwood. The Branchwraith ran 9" E to keep pace with Durthu, also winding up in the Sylvaneth Wildwood. The Treeman Ancient moved 5" NE towards the Plaguebearers. The Glade Riders ran 16" between NE to get closer to the Plaguebearers. The Glade Guard moved 6" NE to get closer to the General Bloodthirster. The Spellweaver moved 6" to keep pace w/ the Glade Guard. The Wild Riders advanced to within 3" SW of the summoned Pink Horrors w/ a Run.

In the Shooting Phase, the Glade Riders, Waywatchers and Treeman Ancient killed 11 Plaguebearers. The Glade Guard put 4 wounds on the General.

In the Charge/Assault Phases, the Wild Riders charged the General BT and the Dryads charged the Soul Grinder. They managed to put 4 more Wounds on it. The Soul Grinder killed the Dryads. The General BT reduced the Wild Riders to the standard bearer w/ 1 wound left.

In the Battleshock Phase, the Wild Rider made its check. The Plaguebearers rolled a 1 and wound up regaining 4 models.

TURN 2
Daemons
In the Hero Phase, the General BT put the same Command ability on itself. The SE Pink Horrors cast Mystic Shield on the General BT. The Summoned Pink Horrors cast Arcane Bolt on the Glade Guard, killing 2. No other spells were cast.

In the Movement Phase, the Plaguebearers moved 4" W towards the Wildwood Rangers. The Skull Cannon moved WSW towards my side. The N Pink Horrors moved 4" W. The N BT stayed put. The Summoned Pink Horrors moved 4" W toward the Glade Guard. The Soul Grinder moved 5" WSW to stay in the E Sylvaneth Wildwood.

In Shooting, the General BT shot at the Glade Guard and killed 1. The Soul Grinder shot at Durthu and dealt 2 Wounds on him. The Cannon missed.

In Charge/Assault, the Plaguebearers failed their long bomb charge attempt on the Wildwood Rangers. The General BT killed the last Wild Rider.

In Battleshock, The Glade Guard lost 1 more, reducing the unit to 12.

Wood Elves
In the Hero Phase, Durthu gave Inspiring Presence to the Wildwood Rangers. The Spellweaver did Blessings of Life to return 1 Glade Guard to the unit. The Treeman Ancient was befuddled and could do nothing this turn. The Branchwraith failed to Rouse the Wrath.

In Movement, Durthu moved 5" E while staying in the summoned Sylvaneth Wildwood. The Wildwood Rangers moved 6" E toward the Plaguebearers. The Glade Guard moved 6" E to get within range of the Pink Horrors and the General BT. The Glade Riders and Waywatchers stayed put. The Branchwraith ran 8" NE toward the Soul Grinder but still far, far away. The Spellweaver moved 6" to keep pace with the Glade Guard and get within 18" of the summoned Pink Horrors.

In Shooting, Durthu and the Glade Guard reduced the General BT to 5 Wounds remaining. The Glade Riders and Waywatchers killed 7 Plaguebearers to reduce the unit to 7 models.

In Charge/Assault, the Wildwood Rangers successfully charged the Plaguebearers. Durthu failed his charge on the General BT. The Wildwood Rangers destroyed the Plaguebearers.

No Battleshock tests required.

TURN 3
Daemons
In the Hero Phase, the General BT did the Command ability on itself. The SE Pink Horrors cast Mystic Shield on the General BT. The Summoned Pink Horrors tried to cast Arcane Bolt on the Glade Guard but the Spellweaver unbinded it. The N Pink Horrors tried to cast Arcane Bolt on the Wildwood Rangers but the Branchwraith unbinded it.

In the Movement Phase, the Soul Grinder and General BT moved WSW and W respectively towards the Branchwraith and Durthu. The N Pink Horrors advanced 4" towards the Wildwood Rangers. The Summoned Pink Horrors advanced 4" towards the Glade Guard. The Skull Cannon moved SW to go where the General BT was. The N BT moved 12" towards the Branchwraith.

In Shooting, the Skull Cannon got off its shot on Durthu, reducing him to 4 Wounds remaining. The General BT missed.

In Charge/Assault, The General BT successfully charged Durthu. The Soul Grinder successfully charged the Branchwraith. The N Pink Horrors charged the Wildwood Rangers. The N BT did not roll high enough to charge the Branchwraith so went after the Wildwood Rangers, instead. The General BT finished off Durthu. The Wildwood Rangers split attacks with 5 going after the N BT and the other 5 going after the Pink Horrors. 3 Pink Horrors died and the Wildwood Rangers reduced the N BT to 2 Wounds remaining thanks to their ability to do d3 damage vs Monsters. The Soul Grinder killed the Branchwraith. The Pink Horrors did nothing. The N BT killed 2 Wildwood Rangers.

In Battleshock, the Wildwood Rangers auto-passed thanks to Inspired Presence. The Pink Horrors did not roll a 1 but still passed.

Wood Elves
In the Hero Phase, the Treeman Ancient passed its Mystical roll. The Spellweaver cast Arcane Bolt on the General BT but was unbinded by the General BT. The Treeman Ancient successfully got off Awakening the Wood on the E Sylvaneth Wildwood, which in turn caused 2 Wounds on the Soul Grinder, 2 Wounds on the N BT to kill it and 3 Wounds on the General BT to reduce it to 2.

In the Movement Phase, the Treeman Ancient moved 5" E into the summoned Sylvaneth Wildwood. The Glade Riders advanced w/in 3" of the N Pink Horrors combating the Wildwood Rangers. The Glade Guard advanced 6" towards the Summoned Pink Horrors.

In Shooting, the Glade Guard finished off the General BT. The Glade Riders, Waywatchers and Treeman Ancient finished off the Soul Grinder.

In Charge/Assault, the Glade Guard charge the summoned Pink Horrors. The Glade Guard kill 3 Pink Horrors, who kill 2 in return.

In Battleshock, all units passed.

TURN 4
Daemons
In the Hero Phase, the S Pink Horrors summon another 10 Pink Horrors. The newly summoned Pink Horrors try Arcane Bolt on the Spellweaver, which the Spellweaver unbinds. The first summoned Pink Horrors fail its Arcane Bolt roll against the Spellweaver.

In Movement, the S Pink Horrors move 4". The Skull Cannon moves towards the Glade Guard.

In Shooting, the Skull Cannon shoots at the Spellweaver but misses.

In Charge/Assault, the Skull cannon charges the Glade Guard. The S Pink Horrors successfully charge the Glade Guard. In combat, the Skull Cannon crew kills 2. I remove the two closest models to it (including the Lord Bowman), which get the unit out of range of the Cannon attack. The Glade Guard kill 1 more Pink Horror in the summoned unit. The Pink Horrors all combine to reduce the unit to 4 models remaining.

In Battleshock, everyone passes.

Wood Elves
In the Hero Phase, the Spellweaver gets off Arcane Bolt on the Skull Cannon, dealing it 1 Mortal Wound. I don't do anything with the Treeman Ancient for fear of wounding friendly units nearby.

In Movement, the Treeman Ancient moves 5" SE towards the battle in the center S section. The Glade Riders move 14" SE into the E Sylvaneth Wildwood, unable to run without triggering Deadly rolls. The Wildwood Rangers run 8" S to the juncture where the two Sylvaneth Wildwoods meet. The Waywatchers move 6" SSE, again unable to move without triggering Deadly rolls.

In Shooting, the Treeman Ancient gets in 1 Wound on the Skull Cannon. The Glade Guard fails to wound the Skull Cannon.

In Charge/Assault, the Glade Guard attack the first summoned Pink Horrors, reducing them to 5. The rest of the units in the battle finish off the Glade Guard.

The Pink Horrors pass its Battleshock test.

TURN 5
Daemons
In the Hero Phase, the Pink Horrors manage to finish off the Spellweaver with Arcane Bolts.

In Movement, his three Pink Horror units and Skull Cannon retreat S and SSE to gain distance between them and me.

In Shooting, the Skull Cannon gets off 3 Wounds on the Treeman Ancient.

No charges or assaults.

Wood Elves
In the Hero Phase, no spells are cast due to triggering the Sylvaneth Wildwood effect on my own Wanderer units.

In Movement, the Treeman Ancient advances 5' SSE. The Wildwood Rangers move 6" SSE. The Glade Riders move 14" SE to wind up 7" N of the Skull Cannon and two Pink Horror units. The Waywatchers move 6" SSE.

In Shooting, the Treeman Ancient deals 1 more wound to the Skull Cannon. The Waywatchers kill 2 from the initially summoned Pink Horrors, reducing them to 3 models. The Glade Riders reduce the Skull Cannon by 1 more wound.

In Charge/Assault, the Treeman Ancient charges the first summoned Pink Horrors. The Glade Riders dual charge the Skull Cannon and S Pink Horrors. The Glade Riders use 4 attacks on the Skull Cannon and 3 on the Pink Horrors. They kill 1 Pink Horror and deal no wounds to the Skull Cannon. The summoned Pink Horrors do nothing to the Treeman Ancient. The Treeman Ancient finishes off the summoned Pink Horrors. The Skull Cannon kills 3 Glade Riders and wounds a fourth.

In Battleshock, the Glade Riders succeed their check.

TURN 6
Daemons
In the Hero Phase, the Pink Horrors teamed up to reduce the Glade Riders to three models.

In Movement, the second summoned Pink Horrors joined the combat with the Glade Riders.

In Shooting, the Skull Cannon did nothing.

In Charge/Assault, the last Pink Horrors charged in. The Skull Cannon killed 1 more full model. The Glade Riders did nothing. The rest of the combatants reduced the Glade Riders to 1 model.

In Battleshock, the Glade Rider passes.

Wood Elves
In the Hero Phase, the Treeman Ancient gets off Arcane Bolt on the Skull Cannon, reducing it to 1 Wound.

In Movement, the Treeman Ancient advances towards the mass combat. The Wildwood Rangers advance, as well.

In Shooting, the Waywatchers manage to finally kill the Skull Cannon.

*** Opponent concedes ***

CONCLUSIONS
This was a beast of a game. I know I screwed up something on the batrep because the turn I killed his two BTs and the Soul Grinder was the top of a turn instead of the bottom. I don't remember where the turn order got screwed up, but we wound up rolling to see who would go first. It was a very critical roll as whoever got it would likely wind up winning. I was fortunate enough to roll higher. Odds were okay that I would still kill the two BTs, but I would not have been as successful against the Soul Grinder as it and the General BT would have torn through two other units.

The Sylvaneth Wildwoods were pretty cool to play with, but they are a double-edged sword when you have a mix of Wanderers and Sylvaneth in your army. I couldn't cast magic when Wanderers were too close to the Sylvaneth Wildwood that was also near the caster. That was one thing I forgot to do when casting as he advanced. I didn't do the side effect of rolling vs nearby units when I got off Awakening the Wood. Nice little double whammy that you can do with that.

Durthu was fun as a General. I totally screwed up the rule re: deploying Sylvaneth Wildwoods, though seeing its effect in a place of my choosing was worthwhile.

Shooting is incredibly potent in this game, though I do have to say it's not overpowering, especially when the opponent can summon a wizard who can immediately cast upon arrival. Shooting is the saving grace for the Wood Elves.

I do believe the Sylvaneth only army can be extremely strong, especially with the Wildwoods in play. I originally got into Fantasy because I saw someone playing an all-Forest Spirit army and wanted to replicate it. AoS offers that opportunity in spades here.

I got in another game with Wood Elves against Tomb Kings, but I'll write on that another time. It's taken me quite a while to write this report as I wracked my brain trying to remember details of a game that was sandwiched between two other games I played on the same day.
Rosies184
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: AoS: WE vs Daemons of Chaos

Post by Rosies184 »

Good job. Question: I think you said that he had a sylvaneth wood in his deployment? Couldn't you have teleported Your treemen there and then charged with them since while being unable to move you can still run/shoot charge. Then turn 2 follow up with having ran your branchwraiths up there done more summoning of dryads then charged them into that mosh pit? Sorry I didn't see how far your enemy deployed from that woods.
Tropic
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Tropic »

I could have teleported early on Turn 1, but it would've been suicide to do so. Around that other Sylvaneth Wildwood were (within charge range):
Plaguebearers
Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage
Soul Grinder
Skull Cannon of Khorne
Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury

It would've been hard enough to get 9" away from everything. Had I failed my charge--and even if I made it--I would've been completely ganged up on his turn. It wouldn't be worth the attempt, especially as four of the units listed ignore the "dangerous terrain" check from the Sylvaneth Wildwood.
Q10fanatic
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Q10fanatic »

Even with a functional 2+ save? I suppose you'd need a way to detonate the Sylvaneth Wyldwood with spells to really handle those numbers.
GeoffDiGeoff
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Dark Elves

Post by GeoffDiGeoff »

Nice write up :) It shows what I thought would be the case, that we're still strong. I honestly struggled against daemons in 8th, hoping I can have some fun now :)
One question, I might have missed it in the write up as I skim read: Did you not roll off each turn to see who would go first? From what I understand, you roll of for the whole turn, so you can effectively have two turns in a row.
Tropic
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Tropic »

We did roll off each turn, I just lost track of when I had two turns in a row. I won the remaining roll-offs from that point on.
edmondj
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by edmondj »

Thanks for the write up, it's good to get some AoS experience, even if it's second hand ;-)