1000 point WE vs Lizardmen game highlights

Here is the place for all your reports of battles against those who seek to defile our sacred glades.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Sidewinder
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

1000 point WE vs Lizardmen game highlights

Post by Sidewinder »

I decided to play a list based upon suggestions made in this thread.
http://asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=28753
I feel I should be willing to play what I suggest. So I did and this is from a game I had played about three weeks ago.

Branchwraith -- general
Shadowsinger -- 2nd level; Asrai longbow, dispel scroll, Ruby Ring of Ruin
19 x GG w/full command; Hagbane tips
10 x GG w/musician; Trueflight tips
5 x Wild Riders w/shield; SB w/Banner of Swiftness
GE
GE
Total 1000 points

The following is what I remember of his list.
Oldblood -- general, Armor of Destiny; other magical stuff, shield, great wpn (might have been a Scar-vet)
Skink Priest -- magical items
2 units of Saurus Warriors
Flying rock droppers
1 or 2 units of Skink Skirmishers

I chose Shadow because I wanted Melkoth's Mystifying Miasma to slow down enemy units. This was key to my battle plan. My hope was to get one threatening spell so that my opponent would be more concerned about it rather than Miasma.
I rolled The Withering and Okkam's Mindrazor, both high casting cost spells, especially for a level 2 mage. After deliberation, I finally chose to keep both.
I didn't roll for Lore of Life because Earth Blood is the main reason for choosing the Branchwraith.
He got Iceshard Blizzard and Comet of Casandora.

A considerable amount of terrain was generated. The only one that mattered to me was the Mysterious River. Fortunately, I won the roll off and chose first. I placed the river so that the outer bank would be exactly sixteen inches from where I expected to place my forest. Even if I got the other table side, the placement would still disrupt my opponent's unit and cause a two or three turn delay.
Again fortune was with me; my opponent chose the side I didn't want. I placed the WE forest so that the third row of archers could hit the edge of the opponent's deployment zone.

After all this precise terrain placement, we rolled Dawn Attack. Yipes! However, once again I got lucky. I rolled "center" for the 19 GG. My Shadowsinger and Branchwraith deployed with this unit. The other GG unit went to my right flank. I don't remember where the GEs and Wild Riders went. With their movement, it didn't matter anyway.

He rolled "center" for hIs Saurus warrior block with his general. He placed them directly opposite of the 19 GG. His other block of warriors went to his right flank and was essentially out of the fight for most of the game. HIs Skink Skirmishers went to his left flank, directly opposite of my TF GG.

The following is not a battle report, just a recap of the significant parts of a game.

He chose to drop rocks on the small GG unit rather than the larger one. He felt this was a mistake.

His warriors with general block was taking 20 arrow shots every turn starting on turn one.
Once to the river, he had to decide whether to attempt the long charge (needing a "12") or move just four inches crossing the river. He declared a charge. The charged failed but he did get a "six" and was able to clear the river. Naturally, I used Stand and Shoot.

On my turn, I moved my eagle in to redirect the Saurus warriors. This would provide me at least two more turns of shooting before he is able to get at the 19 GG. It was time to move the Shadowsinger out of the block. The Skinks, rock droppers, and Shaman were no longer a threat at this point and I did not want her to get caught in melee with Saurus Warriors. Nothing good would come of that.

On his turn he charged his warriors into the eagle. After shredding and snacking on the eagle, the warriors reformed to face the 19 GG.
My turn, Wild Riders charged into the flank. During the magic phase, the Shadowsinger cast Mindrazor with Irresistible Force.
Combat phase: I must have succeeded with Withering on one or two previous turns because by the time the WR had hit the Saurus Warriors they were down to just one rank. (I remember now. Once within range, the Ruby Ring helped a lot.) With it down to one rank, only three WR models came into base contact with the warriors. It happened to be the side their general was on. Too many str 8 attacks got through the ward save to prevent loss of his general. Warriors failed leadership check and were ran down.

My opponent felt that it was a mistake to have two warrior blocks rather than one large block. I agree. It would have been a very different game if he had done so and if I hadn't been lucky enough to have the dice to get Mindrazor through at the time it was really needed. Mainly because of these two things, I didn't really get to test using GG in a forest with a Branchwraith as a melee unit.
Favorite hobby - playing GW games
2nd favorite hobby - complaining about GW