Battle rep - 2,500 points Wood Elves vs Vampire Counts

Here is the place for all your reports of battles against those who seek to defile our sacred glades.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Lestat
Newcomer
Newcomer

Battle rep - 2,500 points Wood Elves vs Vampire Counts

Post by Lestat »

It was a travesty, really, what had happen to this land, Aspen mused to himself, as he's gaze shifted and flickered all around.
Taking in all he's surrounding as he looked around the dead and barren landscape. How many years had it been since he had last
traveled here? Last time, he had walked threw this landscape it has been green and filled with life. But that had been before
the undead had claimed it as their own, before the coming of the vampires and all of thralls and mindless slaves.
Sylvania he believed the human's called it and it really wasn't a place he would have chosen to come, but here he was following
the command of Lord Araloth. He personally didn't agree with the mission, he's mind could find no real reason to risk so many of
their lives to rescue an Asur women, no matter what her status or importance in their old home land. They owed their cousins
nothing, but he would follow he's commands which had apparently come directly from the king himself.
Around him he's troops suddenly all came to a stop, which brought the glade lord out of he's musing and back to full alertness.
The reason he was here was because Araloth's bird had spied a large contingent of undead moving up behind them, threatening to
catch them on two fronts, so Aspen had been given the job of making sure that didn't happen.
Aspen's keen eyes, saw a group of waywatchers signalling for them to stop. Within a heartbeat, he has his bow drawn and one of
its magical arrows ready to shoot. Around him he heard rather than saw, as he's eternal guard moved into formation around him,
setting up a spearwall. Close by he could hear Liadrial the mage starting chanting readying her magic. He could tell that's this
foul area, would be causing distress to the young life mage, it the complete antithesis of every thing she was. But she was
hiding it well, not having complained once, and seemingly actually wanting to help the women held by these monsters.
For a few moments the entire area was complete silence, as the elves waited, holding their breath's, Aspen hearing he's own
heart beating loudly, then suddenly a single armoured figure appeared at the top of a hill in the distance. The glade lord
saw her with he's keen eyes, her armour gleaming in the dull light. The gleaming armour seem ancient, baring a crest of a house
that had been dead for decades, but the women wearing it seemed young, beautiful even as human's judged these things. Her
hair long and ebony black, flowing wild down her back. She smiled and let out an echoing laugh, as rank upon rank of undead
started to appear behind her. Skeleton's marched in eerie unison, zombies lurched forwards, eager to get to the living, howls
could be heard as dire wolves lopped forwards, their dark eyes shining red. Lastly armed grave guard marched up behind the
female vampire, massive axes, rusted and covered in dried blood already in their hands, as they answered their mistress' call.
Aspen's answer to the vampire mocking laughter was to take aim with he's bow and let loose the shaft, aimed straight towards
the undead army, seeing this, the rest of he's troops joined him, as the sky grew dark with the hail of arrows.

Greetings and salutation's, I'm here doing something I have not done for years, writing up a battle rep. Main reason it's been so
long since I've done this is because, its been year's since I've played a game of warhammer.
I'm one of those, an old timer, originally playing this game to start with back in the heady times of 3rd ed. I stuck around for
most of 4th. Left then came back for 6th till the end 7th. And then stopped pretty much as 8th started, as I really didn't like
how they seemed to be turning the game into a mixture of 40K and monopoly. (The true line of sight crap and the roll 2D6 for
everything, want to charge, roll 2D6, entered a wood, roll D6, how much magic is there, roll 2d6). I just didn't like how it was
going, making an already random game, even more random, seemed to be taking the skill out of it to me.
I did sort of keep up, over the last few years, borrowed the army books and read them as they come out, read the odd white dwarf,
and visited the odd warhammer website. But I hadn't played a game for around 4 years.
So why did I decide to play again? My old friends really, one of them lent me the end of times books, waited for me to read them,
and then asked if I would like to join them in some of the scenario's in them. Why did they ask me? Simple really, I've been
playing on and off for nearly 20s and I was the only person they know with the elves they would need to do some of the battles.
My primary army over the years has been woodies, I have no idea how many points I've got, but I did once in the middle of 6th ed,
play a 10,000 point battle and didn't use all my models, add to that a large dark elf army and a smaller high elf one (yep I've
always mainly been an elf player) and they would need for any of the Khaine battle. So I read the end times books (decent, with
a really, really crappy ending), lend the wood elf army book again and decided why not. I asked if I could play a couple of
normal battles before hand to get used to the rules, which is why this battle happened.
(Also I should mention later during this report when I use left or right, I always mean it from my own point of view).

Aspen Darkfire's Wood Elf Host

Lord Aspen Darkfire (Glade Lord)
The Armour of destiny, shield, hand weapon, great weapon, asrai longbow, hagbane tips and the hail of doom arrow

Liadrial Isisle Dree (Spell Weaver)
Level 4 Wizard, hand weapon, asrai longbow and the book of ashur
Spells - Earthblood, Awakening of the woods, throne of vines and the dwellers below.

Anyanka (Spell Singer)
Hand weapon and dispel scroll
Spell - flaming sword of Rhuin

The Warrior Kithband (29 Eternal Guard)
LIght armour, shield and asrai spear unit includes Full command and is lead by Lord Aspen

The Archer Kithband (20 Glade Guard)
Hand weapon, asrai longbow and hagbane tips unit includes full command with the banner of eternal flame and is lead by Liadrial

The Eternal Wardens (6 Treekin)

The Watchers (2 units of 5 deepwood scouts)
Hand weapon, asrai longbow and true flight arrows

The Wild Hunt (2 units of 5 Wild Riders)
Light Armour, shield and asrai spear units include full command

The Tempest Troupe (5 Wardancers)
2 Hand weapons, lead by Anyanka

The Hidden (2 units of 5 waywatchers)
2 hand weapons and Asrai longbow

Death from Above (2 Great Eagles)

Vanessa Von Carstein's Undead Horde

Vanessa Von Carstein (Vampire Lady)
Heavy Armour, Shield, The Ogre Blade, the talisman of Preservation, the other Trickster's shard, Red Fury, Quick Blood and Beguile
Spell - Invocation of Nehek

Dmitri Volkenski (Master Necromancer)
Level 4 Wizard, Hand Weapon and Master of the Dead
Spells - Invocation of Nehek, Vanhel's Danse Macabre, Hellish Vigour and Gaze of Nagash

Lumina (Necromancer)
Hand Weapon and Dispel Scroll
Spell - Invocation of Nehek

The Sylvanian Militia (40 Skeleton Warriors)
Light Armour, Shield and Hand Weapon unit includes full command

The Wretched Dead (50 Zombies)
Hand Weapon, unit includes standard bearer and musician

The Risen (32 Zombies)
Hand Weapon, unit includes standard bearer and musician and is lead by Dmitri and Lumina

The Hunting Hounds (4 units of 5 Dire Wolves)

Vanessa's Honour Guard (24 Grave Guard)
Heavy Armour and Great Weapon unit includes full command, with the banner of the barrows and is lead by Vanessa

The Crypt Horrors (3)
lead by a Crypt Haunter

The Varghiests (3)

The Flying Shriek (Terrorgheist)
Rancid Maw

The Mortis Engine
Blasphemous Tome

The battlefield and deployment

The battlefield was a standard 6 x 4 table. Taking it that my deployment zone is the bottom and the vamps is the top, their where
several pieces of terrain on the board. On the left hand side of the map, in the corner of the vamps deployment zone was the
burnt our ruins of a farm house, in front of it facing towards the middle of the battlefield, several walled fences, made a garden or
paddock in front of the ruins. Still on the left hand side of the table, towards the middle, a little more in my half, was a decent
sized wood. Finishing the terrain on the left hand side, was a marsh area in my deployment zone, which would count as difficuly terrain.
In the centre of the battlefield, about a third of the way across, was a small hill with a tower on top it, agreed before hand to
be impassible terrain. Still in the centre of the board this time about two thirds of the way across (going from left to right), was
a large standing stone, again impassible terrain, neatly channeling the centre of the board into 3 almost even section's that could be
moved threw. A massive hill dominated the right hand side of the vampire's deployment zone. With a smaller wood just on the edge of
my own deployment zone on the right flank. The terrain placed was my own free wood, which I put next to the wood on my right flank,
a little further in towards the centre.
The vampires set up in a tight formation in the centre of their deployment zone, I'm guessing to get as much as possible within
12 inches of he's general. Right in the centre as far forwards as he could, came the larger unit of zombies in horde formation.
Behind them came the terrorgheist and the glade guard lead by vampire lady (with the terrorguiest on the left hand side) and behind
the big bat was the smaller zombie unit, lead by he's necromancers. To the left of the zombie horde came first a unit of dogs with
the mortis engine behind it, and he's left most units where a second unit of dogs, with the crypt horrors behind them. To the right hand
side of the zombie horde came the large unit of skeleton's them set up again as far forwards as possible but in a deeper 5 x 8 formation,
and to the left of them where the last 2 units of wolves with the varghiest's behind them.
Myself I had much less units to deploy in my deployment zone. Infront of the marsh on my left flank, where the 2 units of wild riders
With everything else, mostly around the 2 woods on my right flank, in my free wood, I set-up the eternal guard lead by my general.
In between the woodes, was my wardaners and level 1 mage. Whilst in the second wood, the one furthest to the right, came the glade
guard lead by my level 4. With the treekin deployed next to them and the 2 great eagles behind them.
Lastly I set up my scouting units. On the left flank in the burnt out farm house, hide my first unit of waywatchers, with the first
unit of deepwood scouts behind the ruins, near them. The second unit of scouts, hide behind the tower on the hill in the centre of the
battlefield, and the last unit of waywatchers, hide behind the hill on the right hand flank of the vampire's deployment zone.
Last bit of the pre-battle bits was the vanguard moves, something new to me. As he's 2 doggie units on the left hand side of centre,
moved up towards the units in my woods. Whilst the ones on he's right flank, one of them moved up towards the hiding way watchers, and
the other also moved up towards my woods. Lastly I moved the 2 units of wild riders forwards, using the hill and tower to cover their
advance.
Rolling for first turn, I got a five (with a +1 for deploying first) to the vampires one. And I choose to take the first turn.
With deployment, I rolled to see if my general's arrow of Kurnous could wound the vampire lord and unsurprisingly it did nothing.

Last pre-battle musings and thoughts

I really have no idea how effective or mini maxed my army is, I didn't put a lot of thought into it, just choosing what I fancied taking
and what struck me as effective at the time. I did rule some units out as not effective (my poor dryads what have they done to you?)
But I've always been a natural mini maxer so there could be a little in there. By the same token no idea if the vamps list was a win
at all costs one, he said it wasn't he's A game army, but it wouldn't give me an easy ride either.
So what to do in the battle, beating vamps has always been killing the magic users, the vampire was most likely going to be close to
impossible to kill, but was only a level 1, so could hopefully be mostly avoided. But the necros shouldn't be to hard if I could reach
them. So I would see if I could do anything to get to the soft unit of zombies they where in.
I also wanted to shot the crap out of the mortis engine and the big screamy bat. Should be able to get them at range. I don't like
things that buff he's weak stuff and the varghiest scream could pretty much destroy anyone of my small units with even average rolls.

Wood Elf turn 1.

Movement.
First action of the battle proper was to see what kind of wood my glade guard where in, cool apparently they now had poisoned attacks,
in close combat as well.
No charges where declared. Nor a lot of remaining movement either, in the top left corner of the map, the waywatchers climbed up to the
top floor of the burnt out house, giving them a commanding view of the battlefield, whilst the scouts moved around to the side of the ruins,
facing towards the undead army. The second unit of deepwood scouts, moved forwards off the hill they where on keeping out of the crypt
horrors charge arch. The first unit of wild riders continued to move forwards, further around the left hand flank of the undead horde,
whilst the second just edged around a bit, facing towards the centre of the battlefield, but using the hill next to them as cover.
In the top right hand corner, the second unit of waywatchers moved up on to the hill, leaving themselves open to be charged by the
dire wolves who had vanguarded towards them. I wasn't to worried about them charging, as I would have stand and fire and would be
attacking first, in close combat. Lastly I just shifted the eternal guard and tree kin forwards slightly, keeping the eternal guard
still inside the woods they where in.

Magic.
I got 6 casting dice against 3 dispel dice. With neither side managing to channel. First with a single casting dice Liadriel, cast
earthblood on herself, which cast sucessfully and the undead allowed to cast. Next with 3 dice, she cast throne of vines on herself.
With a massive roll of 17 it went off with unstoppable force, thrones itself the stopping the miscast.
With my last 2 dice, Anyanka, tried to cast flaming sword on the glade guard, as I again got double 6. But this time my poor mage,
didn't have any protection from the miscast as both she and Liadriel suffered a wound from the magic feedback.
All in all an interesting magic phase, getting 3 buffs off on a single unit.

Shooting.
I started by having both units of deepwood scouts shooting out at the dire wolf unit in the middle of the battlefield, which where
giving cover to the mortis engine from my glade guard. 10 shots turned into 8 hits, which then turned into 5 wounds, wiping out the unit.
Next I shot the glade guard at the now open mortis engine, I got 3 poisoned hits, with 9 normal hits, which turned into 3 normal more
wounds, the flaming attacks stopped its regeneration for a turn, leaving it with just an armour save of 6 after armour piercing. It
failed to save any, as it fell to pierces destroyed. The watwatchers in the burnt out ruining used their vantage point to take a few
pot shots at the Terrogheist 10 shots turned into 4 hits and they managed a single wound, which the massive bat failed to regenerate.
The second unit of waywatchers, ignored the dogs that where about to charge instead they targeted the ones heading towards the main
block of my army. They continued the excellent shooting phase, hitting 7 times and wounding 5, wiping out another unit. The last act
of the phase was Aspen drawing out he's hail of doom arrow and shooting it at the vargheists, it turned into 12 arrows, which all hit
and then caused 7 wounds, leaving 2 dead and the last one wounded.
So yep, wood elves can still shot well, to be fair, I did have above average rolls threw the entire phase.

Combat
None.

Vampire Counts turn 1

Movement.
A single charge was declared as the wolves charged the waywatchers on the hill, who elected to stand and fire, they managed to hit 3 times
and drop 2 of the charging wolves. Remaining movement saw the massive units of undead all marching forwards, the standing stone, causing
them to spilt their army the large skeleton unit heading to its right hand side and the zombie horde its right. Behind them marched up
the graveguard and the smaller unit of zombies. The last vargheist, moved slower, moving up besides the grave guard. The terrorghiest
took to the air and moved over towards my units threatening their left flank. Staying out of the wild riders charge arch, but leaving itself
in range to scream. The last unit of dire wolves moved up to by the deepwood scouts, threatening them with a chage next turn. Whilst my
enemy really didn't seem to know what to do with he's crypt horrors, it seemed where every he'd move them, they would be on the wrong end
of a charge from a unit of wild riders next turn. In the end he managed to find a safe spot for them, as they marched to the right hand
side of the hill in the centre of the board, using it as cover from both units.

Magic.
It seems double sixes where the flavour of the day in the magic phase, as he rolled double tops for his casting dice. I failed to channel,
leaving it 12 casting dice against 6 dispel dice. The phase started with Dmitri casting the big version of invocation on 3 dice, and for
the third spell casting running, it was cast on unstoppable force. He added 11 zombies to he's own unit. Bulked the zombie horde up by
another 13, added 5 to the skeletons and healed the wound on the last vargheist. He then used the lore attribute to bring back one of them,
that had been slaine by Aspen's hail of doom. He rolled the same miscast as myself, causing a strength 6 hit on all he's casters. He
wounded himself and Lumina, but failed to wound Vanessa. He also lost 3 dice from he's casting pool. Next he tried to 3 dice cast the
large version of vanhels, but failed to cast it by 1. With the last 3 dice, he sent a gaze of Nagash at my glade guard, he managed to
reach the casting value, but with a hand full of dispel dice, I easily dispelled.

Shooting.
The terrorghiest screamed at my wild riders, but with a roll of only 3, did nothing to them.

Combat.
The waywatchers attacked the dire wolves first, 10 attacks, hit 9 times after ASF re-roles. Which was easily enough to finish off the unit.

Wood Elf turn 2

Movement.
I actually had a couple of possible charges. With a roll of 10 my eternal guard could hit the zombie horde, but I decided against it,
preferring not to leave my wood. And the wild riders with a roll of 11 could hit Dmitri's unit of zombies in the flank. This one, I was
actually tempted to try, but in the end I decided against it, and rolled to calm their frenzy and passed. Remaining moves saw the wild riders
who had just passed their frenzy test, speed around to the back of the undead army, threatening the rear of several units, mostly Dmitri's
zombie bunker. The other unit of wild riders just edged forwards slightly, again threatening flank charges against the bulk of the undead
horde. The treekin again moved forwards, leaving the skeletons with a charge against them on a 9 or more. Both units of scouts marched
towards the centre, bringing the terrorghiest into short range for both units. The waywatcher who had just beaten the dire wolves, marched
off the large hill, bringing the injured varghiests into their sights.
Everything else stayed still.

Magic.
This time I got 7 casting dice to 6 dispel dice. Again no one managed to channel. I again started by casting earthblood on 1 dice, casting it
with an 11, he let it cast, as I used the lore attribute to heal Anyanka's wound. The I simply used all the other 6 dice to cast the increased
range version of dwellers on he's grave guard and cast it with a 29. Taking no chances, the vampire counts, used their dispel scroll to stop
it.

Shooting.
Both units of deepwood scouts and the unit of waywatchers in the burnt out house, all unloaded on the terrorghiest. Getting 14 hits from their
20 shots, and 3 wounds from the 14 hits. The bat failed its 6+ regeneration, leaving it with just 2 wounds. Next the second unit of waywatchers
shot at the varghiests, hitting them 7 times and causing 2 wounds, causing the risen one to fall back to the ground and injuring the last one,
for the second time. Wanting the unit dead, the glade guard chose them as their target as well, despite the hard cover they would get for firing
threw the skeletons. But poison did its thing, as I got 4 poisoned hits, finishing the unit off. Aspen ended the phase, dropping a single zombie
from the horde, only 62 more to go.

Combat.
None.

Vampire Counts turn 2

Movement.
Charges, the skeletons charged into the treekin, who held. And with a roll of 9 they hit into the unit. Remaining movement the zombie horde
marched forwards, bringing themselves dangerously close to Aspen and he's eternity guard. The grave guard marched up and wheeled, heading towards
Liadrial and her glade guard. Whilst Dmitri and he's unit marched forwards as well, leaving their rear and flank open to my 2 units of wild riders.
I wondered at this for a moment, unit the wounded terrorghiest moved in front of the unit threatening he's rear and he's last unit of dire wolves,
moved infront of the other unit. The crypt horrors, moved themselves up as well onto the hill in the centre of the board, to threaten the wild
riders flank there.

Magic.
After blowing so strong so far, the winds started to fade, as he only got 3 casting dice. And again neither of us could channel.
Using all 3 of his dice, Dmitri cast the large range version of vanhel's and again cast it with unstoppable force. The zombie horde, moved
right up next to my eternal guard, the grave guard moved to with in a few inches of my glade guard, he's own unit reformed and turned to face
towards left flank. And the skeleton's got re-roles to hit. The miscast then caused 9 zombies around him to explode.
He used the lore attribute to heal he's own wound from the earlier miscast.

Shooting.

The terrorghiest again screamed at the wild riders, despite being wounded caused 4 wounds, and I failed all of my wards saves, leaving just
the champion in the unit.

Combat.

My treekin attacked first against the skeletons, needing 3s to hit and 3s to wound, they caused 7 wounds. 1 of which was parried. Attacking
back the skellies got 3 hits and 1 wound, which both armour and ward save failed to stop. Stomps only managed to kill another single
skeleton. End result, the skellies had 3 ranks, banner, charge and wound for 6, the treekin had 7 wounds and 1 rank. Causing another 2 skellies
to drop down.(36 left in the unit). Yep this was going to take a while.

Wood Elf turn 3

Movement
Charges, both the wild riders and eternal guard, charged at the units right in front of them. The riders into the dire wolves and the guard
into the zombie horde. The wardancers joined the eternal guard, hits the horde in the front as well. The wild rider champion on he's own passed
he's restrain test, and didn't have to charge into the terrorghiest. Instead he simple used the fact he was fast cav and moved towards the
woods on the left flank. Wanting to just get out of the way and not give up he's vps. Both units of deepwood scouts, marched towards Dmitries
unit. Whilst the waywatchers on the right flank, moved downwards towards the grave guard, making sure to get them in short range.
After 2 turns of doing nothing, it was time for my great eagles to earn their pay, as one flew forwards and landed in front of the grave guard.
Positioning itself, so that if they charged they would have to wheel, which in turn would stop them from charging the glade guard next turn.
Whilst the second one did the same to the crypt horrors, this time saving my wild riders.

Magic.
This time I got 8 casting dice, against 5 dispel. This time the vampires got a sucessful channel. Again I started the phase by casting
earthblood, but this time, I failed to cast. Next I cast awakening the wood again on a single dice and cast it with a 10, after a little
while he let me cast it, as it destroyed 3 of the grave guard and healed Liadriels wound. Next I threw 4 dice into the lower casting of
dwellers, and save the vampire counts general's head drop when I get double 6. And then drop a little lower when throne of vines, stopped
the miscast. Thankfully he him, he's vampire easily passed her test, but 9 of the grave guard wheren't so lucky, as they got pulled into
the ground. To add insult to injury, the wounded treekin was just in range to be healed by the lore attribute. Lastly Anyanka did sucessfully
cast burning sword, with my last 2 dice, but with a hand full of dispel dice it was easily stopped.

Shooting.
The deepwood scouts and the waywatchers once again shot at the terrorghiest, only hitting 10 times and failed to do any damage. Yep that's
more how I remember my shooting. Whilst the glade guard and the second unit of waywatchers loosed a volley at the grave guard. The waywatchers
caused 3 wounds, which they failed to save. Whilst the glade guard got 5 poisoned hits and 11 normal, which turned into another 5 wounds.
2 where saved by armour. Leaving just the champion, standard and Vanessa alive in the unit. The only bad side to this, was with their
smaller frontage, they could now charge around the great eagle into the glade guard.

Combat
Before I could even roll my attacks for the wild riders, he just took he's dire wolves off the table. I choose not to over run.
The wardancers attacked first against the zombie horde, as I chose the +1A dance. They managed to hack down 5 zombies. Next went the
eternal guard. They did better killing 8. Last to attack was Aspen with he's great weapon, he added another 3 to the dead pile.
Attacking back with the zombies, who where still under the effect of vanhels, he directed as many attacks as he could against Aspen,
and managed to cause 2 wounds, which I only managed to save 1 of after armour and ward saves. The rest of the attacks back did nothing
but drop a single eternal guard. Combat result, we had 16 wounds, 3 ranks, banner and charge for 21 against 2 wounds, 3 ranks and a standard
for 6. Causing another 15 zombies to return to the grave. Neatly halfing the zombies in one combat phase, leaving 31 left.
The treekin had a nightmare attack of rubber lances, causing only 4 wounds, one was saved by armour, and another parried for just 2 wounds.
The skellies also still under the effect of vanhels, caused 2 wounds, back and again the treekin's armour and ward save failed them. Stomps
saved me a little as all 3 wounded, but one was saved. Combat result. I had 4 wounds and a rank, against 2 wounds, 3 ranks and a standard.
Losing the combat by 1. The treekin, then broke and got run down by the skellies.

Vampire Counts turn 3

Movement.
Charges - The crypt horrors, charged the poor great eagle, whom held. And Vanessa with her last couple of grave guard charged the glade
guard, who choose stand and fire as their reaction. Stand and fire got 3 poisoned hits and 11 more normal hits. After allocating hits 2 poisoned
and 8 normal went on the unit and 1 poisoned and 3 normal on Vanessa. The last 2 grave guard where wiped out completely, and the vampire
ended up with 2 wounds on her, armour saves both failed, but her ward save did stop one of them.
Remaining movement, the skeleton's moved themselves up, ready to threaten the flank of the glade guards. The terroghiest moved itself up,
getting the waywatchers in range for its scream, whilst Dmitri and he's unit just moved forwards, heading towards the uninjured unit of
wild riders.

Magic.
For the second time in 3 magic phases, the undead got double 6 for casting dice. I again failed to channel. Dmitri started the phase by casting
the large version of vanhel's, using 3 dice he got a cast value of 17. Which I let cast, as he healed Lumina's wound. Next he tried to cast
gaze of Nagash on my wild riders, he only just made the casting value on 3 dice, I dispelled with 2 of my dispel dice. 4 dice from Dmitri
went to cast the large version of hellish vigour. With 4 dice he got 21, I failed to dispel it with the rest of my dispel pool.
Ending the phase, the last 2 dice where used by Vanessa, to cast invocation on herself. I used my scroll to stop it.

Shooting.
The terrorghiest screamed at the waywatchers and caused a single wound.

Combat
My great eagle went first against the crypt horrors and managed to cause a single wound. They in return killed the poor bird, they then over run,
placing themselves in the way of the wild riders charge into Dmitries zombies.
Next we did the combat between Vanessa and my glade guard, I issued a challenge with my unit champion. And... well after seeing the vampire
in action in combat, I knew I'd lost Liadriel and the entire unit, especially with a unit of skellies about to hit them in the flank next turn.
After getting to see a vampire "blender" in action first hand, we lost combat as she got the max overkill, but stayed in the fight, passing our
break test just because of steadfast.
In the combat against the zombie horde, the wardancers went first, choosing woven mists this time, removing the zombies rank bonus. They managed
to kill 5. Next went the eternal guard, with attacking in extra ranks, re-rolling 1s to damage and hits because of ASF, they killed a massive 16
zombies, Aspen added another 3 with he's great weapon. The 6 attacks back they had got, after there own re-roles for hits and wounds, saw 2
wardancers killed. We didn't bother working out combat result, and just removed the last few models left.

Wood Elf turn 4

Movement.
Charges, the uninjured unit of wild riders, lowered their spears and charged into the flank of the crypt horrors. And the last 3 wardancers,
steeled their nerves and charged Vanessa in her flank. Maybe one could get killing blow threw was my reasoning. Aspen and he's eternal guard
could have tried to charge Dmitri's unit in their flank, but needed to roll 11 to do so, instead they instead just marched up as close as they
could to them. The rest of my remaining movement started with the lonely wild rider champion, who just went and hide himself behind the burnt out
ruined farm house. Both units of scouts, marched towards the centre of the board. Whilst the last unit of waywatchers, marched down towards
the skeleton's to see if they could be any help there. My last great eagle just moved and turned towards Vanessa, threatening a rear charge.
You never now +2 combat res, if the combat was still going in my next turn could help. My last movement, was edging Ayanka further into the
forest that my eternal guard had spent most the battle in.

Magic.
I got 9 casting dice to 5 dispel. Again no one channeled. I started by using a single dice to cast awaken the woods against the skeletons.
With a casting of 11, it was allowed to cast, sending 4 of them back to the grave. Leaving 28 left in the unit. Next I used 4 dice to send a
dwellers against them. Casting the spell yet again with unstoppable force, and again throne of vines saved the miscast damage. 10 Skeletons and
their champion where pulled into the ground never to be seen again. Lastly I threw my last 4 dice into casting earthblood. Casting it on a 17.
Using all of their dispel dice, the vamps dispelled it.. Just.

Shooting
Again both units of deepwood scouts and the waywatchers in the ruined house, fired on the wounded terrorghiest. This time getting 14 hits,
which turned into the needed 2 wounds, but with a roll of double 6 he regenerated both wounds, meaning the waywatchers would be getting charged
next turn. The second unit of waywatchers fired into the skeletons, dropping another 3.

Combat
I started with the wild riders, the riders themselves managed to cause 7 wounds, but 4 where regenerated. The steed added another 2 which where
again both regenerated. With no attacks back combat was 4 wounds, standard, charge and flank to zero. Despite their heroic healing, the unit
crumbled to dust. The riders then reformed to face Dmitri's zombies. In the combat of Vanessa against 2 units, the vampire went first, putting
3 attacks on to Liadriel and 2 onto the wardancers.
She caused 2 wounds with her 3 attacks, and then with her extra attacks, rolled double 1 after hitting with both. Leaving my sorceress alive
on a single wound. Against the wardancers, both of her first attacks hit and wounded, but I managed to ward save one of the wounds, the extra
attack then killed a second dancer. My single killing blow attack from the last wardancer, missed. My glade guard then failed their fear test,
only hit her twice, both then failed to wound. Combat result, Vanessa had 4 wounds, against 2 ranks, charge, flank and standard, we won by one,
leaving Vanessa, with a single wound.

Vampire Counts turn 4

Movement.
All of the remaining undead units declared charged, the skellies easily hit the flank of the glade guard. The terrorghiest easily hit the waywatchers,
which had to hold as it was to close for any other reaction. And Dmitri and he's zombies tried to charge the wild riders, but found themselves
several inches short, so just lurched forwards slightly with a failed charge.

Magic.
7 casting dice to 6 dispel, the vampires managed to channel once bringing them up to 8 casting dice. First Dmitri sent a 3 dice casting of
gaze of nagash at the wild riders, I allowed it to cast after. It caused 5 wounds, armour saved 2 and their ward save a third, as only 2 died.
Next he used a single dice to invocate he's unit. I again allowed it to cast, as 14 zombies got added to he's unit. Lastly Vanessa, used the last
4 dice to invocation on herself, she cast it with a roll of 16. This was the spell I'd saved by dice 4, I didn't want he healing herself. With a
23 I easily dispelled it.

Shooting.
The terroghiest failed to do any damage to the waywatchers it was in combat with.

Combat
My waywatchers attacked first against the terroghiest, after re-roles for ASF got 5 hits, which turned into 2 wounds. Again it managed to regenerate
one of the wounds. Its attacks back it only got a single poisoned hit wound, but its thunderstomp finished off the unit.
In the big combat, Vanessa again went first, directing 1 attack to Liadriel, 1 to the last wardancer and the other 3 onto the unit.
This time she made no mistake and finished off Liadriel, but her attack failed to damage the final dancer. Her attacks on the unit killed 3 and
then her extra 3 attacks, added another 3 to the dead pile. My gladeguards, attacks back failed to hurt her. But did manage to bring down 2 skeletons.
The skeletons killed another 3 of my archers. Combat result was basically me needing snake eyes to stay in the fight. Which I failed to roll.
We fled 6 inches, the skeleton's caught them wiping out the remainder. Whilst Vanessa, chased down the last wardancer

Wood Elves turn 5

Movement.
Charges. The wild riders hit the front of Dmitries zombie unit and Aspen and he's guard their rear. The 2 units of deepwood scouts, moved so they
could draw line of site to Vanessa. And my wild rider champion dropped his spear and flung himself into the terrorghiest, passing he's dangerous terrain
test on the way in, whilst my great eagle moved itself in the way of Vanessa, stopping her from being able to charge Anyanka.
Ayanka and the waywatchers stayed still. Ayanka to get her casting/dispel bonus for being in a forest, whilst the waywatchers, just pointed their
bows at Vanessa.

Magic.
6 casting dice to 3 dispel. Again noone managed to sucessfully channel. With only a single spell able to cast, I threw all 6 dice into casting the
long range version of flaming sword on the waywatchers. With a low roll she only casted it on 19. But thankful with only 3 dispel dice against it.
It was enough.

Shooting.
The burning waywatchers shot at Vanessa, 10 shots turned into 8 hits, which turned into 3 wounds. Armour saved 2 of them. Basically making it a 4+
roll for the game. Which she failed. The Vampire lady dropping dead filled with arrows. With no other targets both units of deepwood scouts, targeted
the much reduced skeleton unit, killing 2, leaving just 10 left. And with the death of Vanessa, another 5 crumbled to dust. Dmitri's presence was
enough to save he's zombies for now. The terrorghiest wasn't so lucky as it crumbled to nothing as well.

Combat.

The wild riders in the front attacked first in the only combat of the round. The single riders who could attack Dmitri, hit and wounded with all 3 of
he's attacks, killing the necromancer. The champion and other riders, impaled another 5. In the rear the eternal guard attacked killing another 4.
Next went Aspen and drop a single zombie with he's great weapon. Lastly the riders steeds killed 2 more. All that could attack back was the
necromancer and a single zombie, and the necromancer managed to drop a wild rider. The undead had a wound and standard, against 15 wounds,3 ranks,
banner, 2 for rear and charge, as another 20 zombies where killed by combat result, leaving just 13 in the unit.

As the combat phase ended, Lumina the necromancer, now the general of the vampire counts army, let the magic that was animating the last few undead,
fade, and dropped down to her knees begging for mercy, or the guy I was playing, gave in, which ever works best.

Post battle and other musings.

It was after the battle had finished, I heard one of my friends mention that 8th edition warhammer was the "edition of elves", apparently all 3 elf
armies are in power level top tier or at the very least close to it, but they couldn't seem to reach a conclusion about which of the 3 where the
best. Their general consensus where because of two simple reasons, initiative actually becoming a stat that matters again (for the first time since
3rd ed) and the new rules for always strikes first, with all 3 of the elven armies getting the rule. I do have to admit that after thinking it about
it for a while, what they where telling me does make sense. The re-roles and attacking first pretty much the entire time in the battle where massive
advantages I did have (the only model in the vamps army which could attack before any of my troops was the vampire lord herself).
Any way what did I make of 8th ed rules and the wood elf army? With the rules I'm mostly still not a massive fan, but it wasn't as bad as I though
it was going to be. As I mentioned earlier I think, I've been playing this game since 3rd ed, so a long time. And I do still even today think that
3rd was in the main the best edition warhammer has ever had, especially if you take the completely and broken magic system away or at least limit it
some way. So after playing a few games I'll say what I don't like.
Random charges - movement to me has always been the most important part of the game and probably the reason I've always gone back to my wood elf army.
Simply wood elves have always been one of if not the fastest army in the game. They don't care if you have a chaos lord that can destroy your entire
in a single combat phase, if he doesn't reach them to kill them, or only kills a red shirt unit, then he's effect is pretty much nil. Whilst woodies
remain able to do this to a degree, I did do a fair bit of it in a few of my battles, this one included. Now even a dwarf unit has got a got a possible
charge range of 15 inches, making avoiding or running circles around them much harder to even impossible. Also add to the fact you can roll low and
a unit that is right in front of you, you suddenly can't reach, that just seems dum to me. To be fair I may not be seeing the full picture, and it
could be a good thing that wood elves against dwarfs now isn't an instant loss for the stumpy ones.
The magic phase - Again I dislike the complete random bull that it now is. I will admit it was actually fun whilst I was playing, but the complete
random nature to it, added with all the spells of destroy that unit there that's looking at me funny, makes it impossible to plan out a magic phase.
There is almost no need to ever have more than one wizard with the highest level possible, with other wizards, only giving you a little variety in
what spells you get and giving you a little back up if one wizard dies. You get no real bonus from spending say 250 points on magic users, than you
would if you spent say a 1000 points. I can also see most magic phases, boiling down to, throw as many dice as I can to cast dwellers or purple sun.
and hope that my wizard kills enough before he blows himself up. Also what happens if someone rolls say an average of 10 dice to someone who rolls
an average of 5 in their magic phases. One player gets double the bonus to the other, for nothing other than they rolled higher on a couple of dice
rolls. Yes I know that you can get dice raped at other times, and we all have at some point, but there is just to much importance in the roll for winds
of magic, and you don't roll them often enough for average dice rolls to come into effect.
War machines - so now all war machines are laser guided and havn't gone up in any points. A little tip for games workshop, if you want to sell all
of those lovely big monster models, don't make them pointless by having cannons kill them easily, don't make them kill both the monster and their
rider at the same time, don't give more and more armies access to cannon's and for the love of good, don't make cannon's move and fire weapons.
Heavy Cavalry - Does it have a point now? If so I'm not seeing it. This edition has pretty much killed them off completely.
Ok that's enough of my moaning, I did actually in the main enjoy playing warhammer again after my time off, it was fun dusting off my old models.
So what did I think of my woodies, pretty decent to be honest. Their shooting seems to have been vastly improved. I honestly don't remember them
being as deadly as they where. They could still run rings around my enemy, but I have been told that vampire's are no't a good army to judge that
against, as they have no missile fire and very little fast units. My troops seemed to hit like a ton of bricks, but have the staying power of
water paper, which is how I've always viewed them, so I liked that. I was massively impressed with all my missile troops, especially the scouts
and waywatchers, I loved being able to march around and still shot.
In this battle things mostly went my way, my single biggest mistake, was not running my level 4 mage out of the archers, when the vampire and her
unit got themselves in range to charge, it would have been an easy thing to do as well. But I also think I could have equipped her better, on paper
being effectively a level 6 whilst in the woods and with the book of ashur, is very powerful, but I think having her mobile on a steed, could
have been much more useful, the sisters of the thorn as a baby sitter unit for her also seems a no brainer.
Anyway, its good to be back.

Aspen allowed himself to take back the breath he'd been holding, as he looked around himself, watching the zombies as one all slump down to the ground,
whatever fell magic that had been forcing the dead to fight them was now gone, he then saw the young human girl, on her hands and knees, crying
and screaming out, her long black hair, matted together by the filth and blood from the battlefield, her simple clothing, torn, little more than rags.
He couldn't make out what she was saying, it had been decades, since he had last had to speak the course human tongue, but he had seen her tone
before, she was begging for mercy. Around him, he's eternal guard had started to walk around and tend to their injured, they like him, knew that for
now the battle was over. He left them, as he started to walk towards Anyanka and the trees she had been sheltering in, she to was their tending to
the wounded. And he felt he's heart drop as he saw Liadriel cradled in her arms. Sheathing he's blade, he dropped down to one knee, a look of panic
in he's crystal clear blue eyes "Is she...?" but the glade lord found that he couldn't complete he's words. Anyanka then finally looked up at her
general, taking her eyes away from her mentor for the first time. "Dead... No but she isn't far from it". She then paused for a heartbeat, her own
green eyes staring back intently into the glade lords blue ones "Aspen we have got to get her out of here, she beyond my skills to heal. Her only
chance is that her own healing magic will heal her, but there is nowhere near enough life magic in this dead place. We need to get her away from here
and we need to do it quickly". Aspen said nothing for a moment, as Anyanka looked up at him, an imploring look on her face. For that moment he
really didn't know which action to take, he's orders where to rejoin the main force after victory here, but he had already lost to many of he's
comrades here, he didn't want to add the young mage to the list of fallen and he even less wanted to go deeper into this dead land without her life
magic. But he was then roused from he's thought as a group of waywatchers run up to join them.
"Lord Aspen, we have been given the order to full retreat".
"W-What?.. Why?" was all Aspen could answer.
"I don't know, but it's come from Lord Araloth himself, it was he's bird that delivered the message".
Nodding to himself, as he slowly un-slung he's bow from he's shoulder, despite he's curiosity from the order, it was one he was happy to follow.
"Make her litter for, we're leaving at full speed". As he spoke, he took an arrow from he's quiver and notched it to he's bow, then moving
faster than a striking snake, he spun around and loosed the shaft, which a heartbeat later, struck into the back of the neck of the crying human
girl, causing he to fall to the ground dead and leaving the 2 eternal guard that had been guarding her to flinch in surprise.
"Right now", he finished as he re-slung he's bow.
McCrae
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Battle rep - 2,500 points Wood Elves vs Vampire Counts

Post by McCrae »

Nice report mate.

I would not be so hasty to write off 8th edition after only 1 game. It is a great edition, because of the randomness anything can happen so you don't get many situations where you have lost before you even put the models on the board (like you used to, so I have heard). Battles are not streamlined in real life and by having more randomness you mimic reality, it just means we need a plan B! It sounds as though you enjoyed it, probably for a reason no?

Regarding rules, the Wild Riders have frenzy so they have to overrun. Also if you fail to reach the casting value (a 1 or a 2 always fails too) then your caster has lost concentration and cannot cast anymore. Also all ASF attacks are simultaneous, so your glade guard would go at the same time as the vamp lord, it would have made him harder to kill.

With the list, I suggest a BSB because they are gold in this edition. Otherwise a pretty solid list.

Also Dark Elves now rule the roost my friend, but WOC and DOC are still probably the top two armies out there.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Battle rep - 2,500 points Wood Elves vs Vampire Counts

Post by Aezeal »

Didn't read it all but since I have to go now but:
First with a single casting dice Liadriel, cast
earthblood on herself, which cast sucessfully and the undead allowed to cast. Next with 3 dice, she cast throne of vines on herself.

Risky move 1 dicing your first spell.. orll a 1 or a 2 (33%) chance and that mage is out for the turn.