2000 points vs Tombkings

Here is the place for all your reports of battles against those who seek to defile our sacred glades.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

2000 points vs Tombkings

Post by Aezeal »

We had gotten news from a spellsinger traveling through the worldroots that an ancient woodelf sanctuary south of the endless sands, just beyond the border of the Tombkings was about the be beset by the sandy skeletons... somehow the local tombking had gotten the idea that the small woodelf enclave in the forest there was a threat and he was about to launch a preemptive strike to kill the few dozen elf recluses there to finish the threat once and for all. Quickly an elite army was assembled and send to defend their kin.

Report:
Disclaimer: It was a hard battle with lots of measuring and fitting units next to eachother and while making the report I'm pretty sure I've forgotten a few details (exact numbers of wounds). Especially his healing with the bubble spells made his units size fluctuate a bit. The major stuff is represented though and I'll try to highlight the important stuff. The movement of the warhawks upper right probably happend a turn later, but I'm not entirely sure and it hardly matters for the report. Also I think he actually blocked LOS in the end with the carrion so I probably didn't kill them before that :D.
EDIT: Also I apperantly forgot to save the text I'd typed last 2 evenings so I have to redo that.. won't improve my recollection of things I fear since I don't know how much time I will have for that now the weekend is over.

WOOD ELVES
Characters
Lvl 4 shadow mage, 4++ amulet, earthing rod = 185 + 35 + 45 + 25 = 290
Lvl 2 Death, dispell scroll, steed = 80 + 35 + 25 +10 = 150
BSB on foot + HoDA + HB + GW = 75 + 25 + 30 + = 137
Core
10 x GG (HB)
10 x GG (TF)
14 x GG (TF) = 34 x 15 = 510
Special
5 x DWS
5 x DWS
5 x DWS = 15 x 16 = 240
3 x warhawks
3 x warhawks = 6 x 45 = 270
5 x WR (shield)
5 x WR (shield) = 10 x 28 = 280
Rare
6 x WW = 6 x 20 = 120

Total: 1997

TOMBKINGS

Tombprince
Hierophant (lvl 4 lore of Nehekhara)
2 x 20 Skeleton archers
3 x 3 Chariots
1 x 3 Carrion
1 x 3 Necropolis Knights
1 x Skull Catapult
1 x Casket of Souls

Entomb Beneath the Sands
1 x Tomb Scorpion
1 x 3 Scarab Swarms
1 x 3 Sepulchral Stalkers

So an annoying army for me to deal with, probably for most WE armies, we both tailored a bit agianst the other (he probably remembered me shooting a Sphinx x turn last game so didn't bring those.. pity.

Spells:
Hierophant: +1A/2MS spell, -1T/-1S, bubble movement, wardsave 5+.
Lvl 4 Shadow: miasma, enfeebling, pendulum, pit
Lvl 2 death: Soulblight, Bjuna

Deployment:
He deployed everything (except the buried units of course). THe Catapult and the Casket behind his lines. No gaps in his deployment zone where I could put scouts either.
I put my GG units somewhat opposite the first archers he deployed (left) at 29 inch (24 range + 4 movement would be his range). His 2nd unit ended up 27.5 from my rightmost archers though. His archers covered most of the areas where I could put scouts opposite his casket.
Warhawks I deployed on both sides early since I expected I'd have to go around his flanks to get them to the warmachines. The WR started back 2 back behind cover (no LOS from his archers) each of them ready to defend a side of the board against approaching attackers AND ofcourse from the entomb creatures.
Scouts: I put the WW in the middle since they really had to shoot at the Necropolis Knights. Without a direct shot at the casket and the risk of scouts getting decimated by archers I had to try a different approach: 2 units could be deployed on the right edge of the table out of sight of his chariots there. The idea was they would advance while harrassing the chariot then take up position to kill the casket.
Vanguard: Both units of warhawks moved up as far as they could (left not so far due to impassable terrain). I moved the WR a bit apart (the catapult could have nearly killed 8 of then in a single shot otherwise).

WE 1:
Movement:
Warhawks advance 20 inch on both sides
Magic:
I didn't have much spells that had enough range to really do anything.. but I wanted to try a pendulum and used 5 dice for the boosted version.. and failed by 1. I actually intended to have him dispell that and then use my last dice to miasma his archers (-1 BS would mean half the hits...) sadly.. I couldn't even cast miasma anymore due to being stunned by the failure (and he'd have had enough dispell dice anyway).
Shooting:
Both TF GG shot at his leftmost archers and did a few wounds. the HB GG did a wound on his left chariots. The 10 scouts on the right did 2 wounds on his chariots next to them. The scouts on the left failed to poison (or wound otherwise) the catapult. BUT the warhawks on the left did 3 hits on the catapult AND rolled 2x 6 to wound. (The other warhawks rolled normally and failed to wound the casket).
Combat:
-

TK 1:
Movement:
He advances with nearly everything except the 3 carrion which take position around the catapult so I cannot charge it next turn. The chariots on the left take up position behind the warhawkriders. Also his archers+ Hierophant reform to face the place where he expects my warhawkriders to go (and after him blocking my path to the catapult that had been my idea indeed.
Magic:
A bubble movement spell succeeds with 5-6 dice and high numbers. I decide not to dispell it since it would be hard and I want to dispell the other spells and the casket bound spell (and I do). The healing from the spell removes most of the wounds I did last turn with shooting, annoying stuff.
Shooting:
He does 2 wound on my waywatchers . The catapult fires at the wildriders but veers away 8 inch to the left, and hits the dust.
Combat:
-

WE 2:
Movement:
He expects me to move towards the casket with the left hawks, or maybe try to reach the catapult from the middle of the table... so I'm not going to do that. My warhawks pack a decent punch.. his skellies suck in h2h combat so I decide to rear charge them.
The distance from the other warhawks (right) to the casket is 22 inch... a pretty risky charge since if they only move 4-6 inch with a failed charge they'd get 6 D6 impact hit from his chariots. I decide not to risk that and move them to a normal charge range behind the savety of the tower (no LOS from the chariots).
Scouts on the right move up but don't only 1 has range on the casket. Waywatchers move a bit back.
Magic:
Nothing important happens.
Shooting:
The one scout unit with range on the casket fails to wound. The other one does the remaining wound (or maybe another one) on the unit of chariots (upper right) so one fo those is gone. The scouts opposite the catapult shoot at the catapult (long range and hardcover from the carrion) and they roll a poisoned hit to kill it.
Combat:
I fail the fear test with the warhawks, still they kill a lot of skellies (his hierophant decides not to make way - KB on the charge on my Hawks ... so probably a good idea), I win combat and a few more crumble. We forget the stomps on the Hawks. (I need to mention the fact that my opponent has shown great sportsmanship all game, about every combat he reminded me about my to hit rerolls with the elves. If he had known the Hawks had stomps he would have said so).

TK 2:
Movement:
The Tombscorpion arrives. He places it in front of the WW and GG in the middle (represented by the skull, I had forgotten to load it into battle chronicler). The scarabs arrive, he intended to block the casket with them just like he did with the catapult.. but they end up just in front of my warhawks near the tower, they can still move but 4 inch isn't enough to get them back (he had rolled an 8 for scattering), they face the casket. His army advances. The carrion position themselves for a charge on the warhawks. The chariot in the upper right corner wants to dance with the scouts.
Magic:
He casts the ward save on the casket, I let it go. He tries to cast the +1 A / MS 2 spell, I fear for both my hawk units so I scroll it since he rolled high.. I dispell the rest with my dice.
Shooting:
The archers (right) shoot at the warhawks, might have done a wound but nothing serious. The chariot crews don't hit anything.
Combat:
I kill more skellies I win combat and crumble more but I did get a wound, none of my Hawks killed yet though.(again failed fear test and forgot stomp)

WE 3:
Movement:
I charge the casket.
My left wild riders move all the way to the board edge to intercept the chariot after it charges. The TF GG move as much back as they can to avoid an overrun (yes it's only 3-4 inch... but a guy can hope right?
The BSB leaves the unit which seems about to be charged (and I guess the BSB would be their prime target). THe lvl 4 and the lvl 2 both leave their units too, the lvl4 to avoid the charge too.. the lvl2 to avoid being in a charging WR unit.
The waywatchers move back too.. I've not got much room too move (it was more crowded then the pic shows) but I can position them so there should be no overrun.
My scouts (upper right) keep dancing around the chariot (LOVE skirmish)
Magic:
I had a great plan: I try to draw some dice and then cast an assassination spell to kill his general. My choice to draw his dice was the bubble soulblight (would affect necro's, both chariots near and the scorp.. I roll 5 dice.. and IF. soooo that changes my plans. My mage gets a S10 hit (rolls 1 yay) and looses the rest of the powerdice. I'm annoyed ad first.. BUT actually -1 T on all units that are approaching me isn't that bad really.
Shooting:
My opponent was pretty sure his left chariot would survive to charge the GG or scouts. Little did he know my BSB was carrying a HoDA. I get 10 shots, roll pretty bad to hit and to wound (S4 against T3 (soulblighted)) but I still do 3 wound.. 1st chariot gone. The HB and TF archers (and maybe the scouts) finish the other 2.
YES 1 flank saved.
The big GG unit shoots at the (now T4) scorpion and kill it too.
The WW shoot at the necropolis Knights and finish 1 too.
The scouts kill another chariot in their dance in the far corner.
Combat:
warhawks hit a bit and get hit back (succeeded the fear test and ofc forgot stomp).
Other warhawks kill the casket (these failed the fear test :S)

TK 3:
Movement:
The carrion charge the WW in the back. The scarabs charge the warhawks. The Knights and chariots make the predictable charge on the GG in the forest. The chariot on top keeps dancing.
AND... the stalker arrive, he positions them behind my lines.
Magic:
Not sure what happened. Nothing major but he does heal some skellies and carrion.
Shooting:
His chariot fails to kill scouts again.
He shoot at the (now single modell Lvl 4 with his stalkers. 18 hits, wounding on 6.. he rolls 5 wounds. I am within (just barely) 3 inch of the GG and get 3 LOS, then my 4+ wardsave saves another. My mage has 1 wound.
Combat:
My GG kill a necropolis knight between the stand and shoot and there melee attacks.. of course half of them had died on impact hits and the other half was killed by his Knights and the horses.
The carrion and the archers win the combat (I killed a few skellies.. after failing ANOTHER fear test). The warhawks run AND get overrun by the carrion.

WE 4:
Movement:
THe wildriders on the right(middle) don't charge the Knights but they charge the chariots and the prince (going around the Knights it meant 2 couldn't attack though).
My wild riders (left)move back but don't have a charge. The GG wheel to let the scouts pass. The scouts move inbetween teh GG units so the stalkers can only charge them (I thought they could overrun into the GG. I was afraid that if I let him charge the HB GG he'd overrun into my characters.. which wasn't a nice idea).
Magic:
I try to assassinate the prince, he dispells. I think I then cast a single target soulblight on the chariots but he dispells it too.
Shooting:
I shoot some archers (the carrion are still alive even though I've put a skull there).
THe scouts kill the final chariot in the corner.
Combat:
My warhawks fighting with the scarabs fail a fear test. I actually think I lost this combat (I've put it in the next turn on the pics) since they have A LOT of attacks and they break and run.
The wildriders have ItP so THANK GOD no fear test. I do 2 wounds on the prince and some on the chariots, after crumbling barely 1 remains.

TK 4:
Movement:
The Knights charge the WR in the flank. The Stalkers charge the scouts.
Magic:
?
Shooting:
not important
Combat:
My wild riders hit first but can't kill the prince now they have no charge and the soulblight not succeeded.
THe Stalkers kill the scouts and overrun... BUT apperantly his corner hits the impassable terrain before he collides with the GG... Lucky me.

WE 5:
Movement:
My GG(TF) are in the way so my WR can't charge the stalkers :S
They can reform and sneak past the GG so they position themselve to charge the next turn.
Waywatchers and spellsinger dance around the chariot (no charge from Knights or chariots)
Magic:
It's a magic phase where I get MUCH more dice...I cast a 5 dice BJuna on the prince... and he scrolls it DAMMIT. After that he dispells the rest.
Shooting:
I kill some skeletons in the unit with the hierophant, I think he only has 1 regulars left at the moment. After a lot of randomization his mage also has 2 wounds.
Scouts shoot at the scarabs but don't do much.
The waywatchers shoot at the necroknights and kill 1, only 1 left.
Combat:
none.

TK 5:
Movement:
He's trying to save his mage. He positions his carrion (I've drawn the scarabs doing it but they can't move that fast, so it must have been the carrion). so all 3 are infront of his mage and I have no LOS (he first put them in front of them the normal way and I said I might have LOS with just -2 to hit so he then did it like this and we agree I had no LOS anymore. He pulls back his Necroknights and the chariots.
Magic:
He had only 1 knight left but he heals 1 by giving it a 5+ ward.
Shooting:
His archers where not in range to shoot anything.
His stalkers shoot at the WR. 16 hits. rolls 5 x 6. I fail the wardsave.... THE WHOLE UNIT IS WHIPED OUT.. WTF. a serious case of NOT GOING AS PLANNED.
Combat:
-

WE 6:
Movement:
I try to move a bit with my GG but his Stalkers have a long charge and are next to them.. I move them a bit but most importantly I move my characters FAR away so there can be no overrun.
Magic:
I cast a pendulum boosted that kills the prince after he dispelled a Bjuna.
Shooting:
He thought his Lvl 4 was save from shooting (and he was right the GG couldnt'touch him... BUT my WW shoot MS on the unit and kill both the last skellie and the Hierophant.
Combat:

TK 6:
Movement:
His stalkers charge the GG
Magic:
-
Shooting:
-
Combat:
He wins combat and overruns the GG unit.

PS somewhere in the proces my scouts seem to have left the table (on the pics).. but they actually survived till the end.

He has killed 1100 points of troop, I killed 1328 points of troops + 100 bonus for the general = 1428 points

so 1100-1428. I actually thought that should've been 8-12 but it ended up being 10-10.
Attachments
WE_vs_TK_2_Turn_6_Tombkings.jpg
WE_vs_TK_2_Turn_6_Wood_Elves.jpg
WE_vs_TK_2_Turn_5_Tombkings.jpg
WE_vs_TK_2_Turn_5_Wood_Elves.jpg
WE_vs_TK_2_Turn_4_Tombkings.jpg
WE_vs_TK_2_Turn_4_Wood_Elves.jpg
WE_vs_TK_2_Turn_3_Tombkings.jpg
WE_vs_TK_2_Turn_3_Wood_Elves.jpg
WE_vs_TK_2_Turn_2_Tombkings.jpg
WE_vs_TK_2_Turn_2_Wood_Elves.jpg
WE_vs_TK_2_Turn_1_Tombkings.jpg
WE_vs_TK_2_Turn_1_Wood_Elves.jpg
WE_vs_TK_2_Deployment.jpg
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: 2000 points vs Tombkings

Post by Aezeal »

I was pretty satisfied with how I played. When he started putting models on the table I was shocked with how much he could put on the table for 2K points. I also was not happy he decided not to bring the big nasty monster.. which are easy to kill for me. His 40 archers with him having the MS 2 spell scared the crap out of me too. The TK are supposed to be slow but between the chariots, the Knights and the movement spell I found they near my lines as quick as any army. So between the archers, the 9 chariots AND the 3 necroknights there where a lot of stuff I had to deal with.

I think my deployment was as good as was possible and the plan to march the scouts on the right side was a good idea.
I'm also happy I took the warhawks. They worked well as warmachine hunters. Without the warhawks I doubt I'd have killed the casket early since the scouts would just have been blocked by either the chariot, the archers or some EbTS beasts or the carrion even.

As usual I had a lot of archers and tried to stay back with the WR behind my lines to keep them save and to intercept enemies when they approach. When the enemy approaches I try to move back with the units that can do it. It makes for a busy and crowed backline which resulted in my WR not being able to charge the stalker when they should have and THAT resulted in them getting shot and a unit of GG getting killed too. It's a bit a result of my playstyle and with so much archers I obviously can't advance towards the enemy (would make their task even easier). I really do need to pay more attention to it and micromanage it better. I think the shooty army is probably one of the best things the woodelves can put on the table (non comped ofc) but when moving the WR behind the lines I need enough room and I've had a few problem finding that room in several games.

I think I played a few smart move by moving my characters out of the units on the right times (though the stalker shooting at my mage was a close call).
I think my decision to charge the archers with the warhawks was a good idea. The Hawks ended up dying to a cheaper unit but it meant the other Hawks didn't get shot too much (and thus able to kill the casket) and prevented the archers from moving (his mage pinned down) and shooting my archers which was definately worth it. With the stomps I forgot (all of them) and a few normal rolls on the fear test I think they'd have done MUCH better though.

MvP: probably the warhawks, a great and versatile unit. I think I'll use them more often to entangle archer units when I don't have a clear advantage with shooting (his archers could do more damage for the same points compared to mine). If there are 2 units like this I could keep one busy and then decimate the other with my archers.

MvP for TK: The stalkers.. they are insane. EBTS is nasty since they can turn up EVERYWHERE. Their shooting is insane, I mean they did a lot of damage to me and he had to wound my elves against my I (so 6's) against other armies it would be even better AND no AS allowed.