Etheneus Battlereports (9th) Update 160805 Monster mash

Here is the place for all your reports of battles against those who seek to defile our sacred glades.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Etheneus
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elf

Etheneus Battlereports (9th) Update 160805 Monster mash

Post by Etheneus »

Me and my gaming group (Coola gänget) had a little tournament (beer and chips kind of thing) this Saturday and I thought I would sum up the three battles I played with my wood elves. Sorry, no pictures. I didn't take notes so this is all from memory.

The rules were: Khornes field of battle: Instead of VP you get a point per wound on a killed model or on multi-wound models you have to bring them down by half to get half the points: a treeman need to be brought down to two wounds left to generate three points or killed to generate 5 points.
Magic missiles and direct damage spells don't generate wounds and other such spells (like the comet) don't either.
We played on half a table.
1200p battles, 50% on lords and heroes total, not on each, distributed as you like. You need to have one core unit but not 25%, so yeah, 50points worth of zombies would have been enough.
Deployment is like battle line but you can deploy as close as 6" to the center line.

This makes for few, hard hitting units with high T or/and lots of armor.
This made me choose this list:
Lords
-
Heroes
Naestra and Arahan on Gwindalor
Core
14 GG, mus, with hagbane
Special
6 wardancers
6 wild riders
Rare
10 WW
Treeman with strangleroot

I choose movement and archers whom takes down high toughness and armor aswell as two unit to block something for a round or two (WD and treeman) and some WR to sweep of the leftovers.

Match 1 Against WoC
I just entered this group and haven't played much but my main opponent is a WoC player so I felt very comfy when he deploys 15 Warriors with a WoC lord (1+4++ and some hard hitting weapon) in them and 3 skullcrushers and a exhalted hero of some kind. Then I realized he was new, his third game or something and never against elves, I felt bad.

Deployment
I made the mistake of deploying my GG to the left on a hill overlooking the entire field. He then deploys his skullcrushers opposite but just out of charge range. I forgot about the 6" from center rule. I deploy my treeman close to protect the archers and he puts his block of warriors in the middle. I deploy my WD in my venom thicket a bit to the right of the middle and WR on the my right flank. The Twins go in the middle and my WW deploy behind a fence in his deployment zone.

Turn 1 WoC
Movement: He marshes his skullcrushers towards my treeman and GG. Warriors marshes forward.
Turn 1 WE
Movement: I didn't get first turn and accept that I will lose my GG but they shuffle back. My treeman marches out of the crushers arc leaving the archers to their fate. The twins fly to the crushers flank and WR goes to support WW if he would turn to try a charge against them, after learning how hard they can shoot I thought he might just choose to.
Shooting: I don't manage to get a single wound from my 14 hagbane through on the skullcrushers and none from Arahans poison shoot. Naestra doesn't even hit, and through all three matches, I forget the re-roll. Three warriors fall to the WW arrows. Treeman shoots at the crushers but misses or fails to wound. (I realized later that I can't march and shoot but since nothing got through it was fine)

Turn 2 WoC
Movement: He charges his skullcrushers towards my poor GG and the stand and shoot does nothing, luckily he fails the charge but moves 6" forward. Warriors swift reforms and goes for my WR
Turn 2 WE
Movement: GG back up to the table edge to bring his crushers of field when they overrun and this brought me to 7,1" from his crushers, so stand and shoot, yeaj! WR goes around the warriors to close in on the coming fight in the left corner. Twins and treeman get within close range of the crushers to shoot.
Shooting: After about 20 poison arrows (Naestra fails to wound) and strangle root, one crusher is dead. Two too go. (and the hero)

Turn 3 WoC
Movement: He charges my GG and stand and shoot does one wound on crushers. Warriors turn towards my WD since he realize he can't catch the WR.
Combat: Everyone in my GG doesn't die but those that live flees and didn't make any wounds on the crushers. He follows of the board.
Turn 3 WE
Movement: I decid that I wont waste anything, everything turns to the warriors and make ready for charges next turn. WD get out of charge arc.
Shooting: I shot everything at the warriors who losses about 5-6 warriors.

Turn 4 WoC.
Movement: His skullcrushers are back and moves toward the potential melee. Warriors swift reform and moves towards my treeman which can be caught between them and crushers.
Turn 4 WE
Movement: My treeman marches away from the crushers and put the warriors between him and the crushers. The exalted could charge out of the unit though and have at me but I didn't see that at first. WD, WR and WW all get ready to blow away the warriors but my twins turns towards the crushers to shoot at them.
Shooting: I shoot with my twins and Naestra do hit and he fail his AS, it resulted in a dead crushers, one left. Arahan takes a wound of the exalted hero. WW kills 3-4 warriors. He has about two left and the lord.

Turn 5 WoC.
Movement: He doesn't charge with his exalted but moves them towards my WD. His lord turns towards my treeman, expecting a charge (to be fair, my WR and WD was also in range so he couldn't get away from a charge if I had wanted to charge him, and now that I think about it he might have had a flaming weapon on the lord)
Turn 5 WE
Movement: The WD move out of charge arc (actually leaving their venom thicket for the first time this game). Treeman does the same. WW moves up a bit knowing what is to come. Twins follows crushers.
Shooting: His two warriors die to WW but nothing on the lord. Strangle root rolls poorly and misses or fails to wound. Twins fail to wound the exalted but take one of the crusher, leaving it at one wound left.

Turn 6 WoC
Movement: He runs with everything as far away as possible. His lord walks into a forest for cover.
Turn 6 WE
Movement: Twins stay, long range or movement penalty, I didn't care. WW moves so that they can still see the lord (should have shot at the crushers instead)
Shooting: I do one wound on the lord between treeman and WW (WW actually only hit with three archers and wounding with one, don't know if it was this one he saved.) Twins do a lot of wounds but only one goes throug on the exalted.

I won with 26 against 14. Many poor rolls on my part but I felt bad for him not being able to catch me and I could see how frustrated he was at the end. I lost my biggest unit because of a stupid deployment but I managed to keep control of all the movements through the whole game. Fun game although a bit one-sided.

I'll write the next match tomorrow.
Last edited by Etheneus on 05 Aug 2016, 08:26, edited 8 times in total.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Local tournament battlereps.

Post by Mollesvinet »

Thanks for the write up.

Maybe next time he will bring more fast elements, like characters on discs or chimeras.

I think a character in the skullcrushers is a bit overkill, those things will kick ass if they catch something already. Bit similar reasoning as our wild riders I suppose.

Congratulations on the win.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

If he does research and brings a flying 1+/1++ (that is how it feels I guess :D) you might not be so happy next time.
Etheneus
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Etheneus »

Second match Vs. Beastmen

He brought 60 wounds to the table. That is a lot. His list was something like.
Lord with magic weapon and AoD or something similar. A BSB with less armor and ward.
A Razorgor
A Tuskgor chariot
6 Harpies
About 20-25 Bestigor? (Great weapon infantry) BSB and Lord here.
And 20-25 gors? (Additional hand weapon)

Never played them before. Really looked forward to this. Oh! And we allowed him to take chaos marks on them so all of them of course have nurgle.

Terrain
There were a forest on the right. I placed mine next to it so that it lay between the forest and a small river. With that this side of the board was pretty much closed off. The left side had a hill on a hill at the center line. To much to obscure shooting but also canalizing the board.

Deployment
I got first again on deployment and put my WD 12" from center in my free forest (venom thicket) and he put his Razorgor behind the hills. I put my treeman next to the river and he brought his harpies in front of him. My WR got in behind and to the right of my WD to close of the narrow strip between the regular forest and the table edge. His both big blocks stand in front of my WR and WD. My GG goes in front of his blocks behind the river and hos chariot go in front of them knowing it will probably die but will obscure my LoS to his big blocks. The twins go behind the hills and my WW couldn't go behind his block so they again stay behind a fence behind the hills.

Turn 1 WE
Movement: Plus one on roll actually did something here and first turn was mine. My WD charged his gors to tie them up in the regular forest but they just stumble forward awkwardly. My WR moved up to be ready to counter charge the gors or double charge with WD next turn. My treeman shuffles a bit and twins fly to him to get a target for their bows. The plan had been to have them behind the hills and Razorgor but the range was to great. GG and WW stay still.
Shooting: My GG bring down the chariot with ease. WW lacks good targets but shot at the gors with swift shots. I think 3-5 die. Twins also kill a few gors.
Turn 1 BE
Movement: He charges both units on my WD to be able to overrun out of charge arc from my WR. The Razorgor move up the top hill. Harpies fly to redirect my WR but not out of the board but just so I can't charge the gors next turn.
Combat: WR do their 3++ dance to hold him as long as possible now that he is in horde formation and three deep (not complete back rank) I strike first and go with as many as I can on his BSB in the Bestigor unit and the rest on the gors to rank up as many wounds as possible. His BSB dies because of poor AS roll on his part and maybe three gors. After all return attacks two of my dancers die. He wins because of static combat res but since I'm still in the venom thicket I'm stubborn and make the roll. He reforms to normal 5 ranks and make way with his lord to finish of my dancers.

Turn 2 WE
Movement: I charge my WR Into the harpies. WW and GG turns to the Razorgor and WW also move back a bit to allow stand and shoot. Treeman move towards the melee to help or block when the bestigors can move again.
Shooting: The Razorgor dies to my GG and WW have nothing to shoot at.
Combat: WR kill all the harpies and overrun so that I still face the Gors. I chose the killing blow dance to try to have it at his lord but no sixes to wound and the lord saves the rest, I should have tried to kill more bestigors instead and chosen the extra attack dance. Another three gors die and one or two bestigors. Then his lord kill two of my dancers and the last two falls to the other gors axes. He reforms bestigors towards my treeman and gors towards WR and I realize that my wild riders are done for. Treeman might have a chance but I shouldn't have moved him up.
Turn 2 BE
Movement: You guessed it! He charges my WR and treeman. Stand and shoot actually take down three or four bestigors.
Combat: WR kill a lot of gors and only take two wounds in return that isn't saved, I actually targeted his champion and killed him here on the other players encouragement, he is the one in the group whom played most and for the longest period of time, to bad the beastmen suck. Poor roll on his part but not by much. His bestigors and lord take three wounds of my treeman with their accursed GW! He kills four of them and I lose but stick around.

Turn 3 WE.
Movement: WW and GG shuffles back a bit and get ready for the next charge. From the Bestigors. My GG tried to keep the little river between them and the bestigors so that he wouldn't be steadfast if he charged.
Shooting: All targets in combat.
Combat: WR kills a few gors and he now only have like seven left. No wounds back, my WR saves all. He flees and I pursue but I fail to catch him since he roll like 11 or something. His gors stops maybe 3" from the treeman combat. In that combat my treeman survives the lords attacks on two 6++ saves! But then dies to the bestigors and that is after he fails to hit with his own attacks. He decid to reform towards my WW although the GG are closer.
Turn 3 BE
Movement: Gors rally! Dammit! He doesn't long charge WW but round the river and have a perfect short range charge next turn on GG and I will have a hard time backing out. The rallied gors stand at an angle to redirect my WR from the bestigors.

Turn 4 WE
Movement: I charge with my WR into the gors and back up with GG to get a stand and shoot at leas now that the river wont help me. WW reform to face him better and move up a bit.
Shooting: Oh man! I killed everyone except the lord and five bestigors between poison GG and WW double shot. Nice!
Combat: WR kill all gors and overrun away.
Turn 4 BE
Movement: Needing roll of 5 to charge he roll 4 and that is it. The poison shots kill another three bestigors so only two left and the lord on two wounds.

He give up here knowing he wont survive another shooting. We roll the hits and I roll so good that it is ridiculous so we don't even bother with the WW or to wound roll at all.

I made a lot of mistakes here. I forgot that he is allowed to reform after winning combat in my rounds and that cost me my treeman and I thought it cost me my WR but they held good. I shouldn't have charged the WD without the WR into the gors but I thought that if i kill enough and use the 3++ I might win by little and make his gors flee, and either way, rather get my WD into combat with one unit than two which might have happened next turn anyway.

Anyway, feel free to comment on my mistakes, I'm here to learn.
Last battle against Empire will be up tomorrow.
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: All kind of Elves.

Re: Local tournament battlereps. Update* vs. Beastmen

Post by NonnoSte »

Hi Etheneus,
Thanks for the reports.
It's very unfortunate you couldn't take pictures, since the battles look very engaging and some pics would have added to it, other than making everything much clearer.

In this last battle, I'd have focused fire on Harpies turn 1, exactly to avoid them redirecting key units, like it happened.
About the Treeman, I know how it feels. I spent a lot of time to learn how to avoid being charged after enemy units end their combats.
Charging yourself is a good way usually, so I don't think you made a mistake with Wardancers in turn 1.
You should note that you were still unlikely to make any of his unit flee, since Steadfast and re-rolls would have prevented it almost certainly. He was at Ld9 I guess.

Anyway, compliments on the positive row of victories!
Etheneus
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Etheneus »

Thank you NonnoSte for the comment. I will remember next time I play to take pictures and add them to the report. And yeah, he was ld 9 but wouldn't have been steadfast if I got in the WD charge, he was halfway into a forest with the unit. Forgot that, he would still have had his BSB alive though.
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: All kind of Elves.

Post by NonnoSte »

Ha ha.
See? My aged minds finds difficult to depict the situations with just words.

Still it looks a good game overall.
It's a pity that beastmen are so hard to run and I don't think chaos marks put them at the level of other armies.
Anyway, when you find a good player running them, they're a lot of fun to face. And your match looked like that

The Chaos player at our local club is now toying with them and in Legion of Chaos lists they provide cheap bodies, which is something both Warriors and Daemons lack (Marauders are even worse and slower).
Etheneus
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Etheneus »

Match 3 vs. Empire

Last match this tournament, so far I was second place and was facing the one with most point (85 against 87)

He had:
Karl Franz on barded horse
BSB on barded horse with some magical stuff to survive, (1+ 4++ 2++against fire or something like that)
3 Demigrryph knights
6 Knights
1 steam tank

Everything on 1+ armor. My WW was going to work and had to be held out of combat. WR and WD might shine here also.

The terrain was same table as before and I placed my forest on the same spot between the river and the regular one. Oh! The hill on a hill is now just one hill and the top of it didn't count for anything.
Deployment.
He had from left to right Demigryphs, knights with both characters and lastly the steamtank. I had my twins, treeman and WW in there corner on the left and GG behind the river, lastly WD behind my forest and WR to the right of them. Same plan as before really. The twins and treeman are closer to the hill than before and WW make sure they can see the steam tank.

Turn 1 WE
Movement: I got first again and moved my twins up to the flank of the demis. Having never met a canon before I had no clue how dangerous they would be, sure I read about it but experience is everything! Treeman stand still behind the hill knowing the demys can't see him behind it (house rule). WD walks into the forest with the front rank allowing for stubborn. WR move up a bit but keep both forest between them and the tank.
Shooting: Two wounds of the tank from WW and GG and twins take two wounds of a demi.
Turn 1 EM
Movement: Demis and knights move up the hill and stay on the top of it knowing that there aren't enough arrows for them all. Steam tank make for steam points and turn towards the twins with one and fire the canon with three (at least that is how I think it was) He fail to bounce the canon ball which saves my twins. No way I redo that mistake!

Turn 2 WE
Movement: Treeman stand still to block the two units coming over it and twins fly back over the hill to shoot at the incoming demis. WW move back a little, not fully trusting the treeman to hold a charge from the two units. WR move up behind the tank and get ready to charge it if the shooting take another two wounds of it.
Shooting: Treeman kill the wounded demi and Naestra get a multi-wound through and roll a three killing another. On left but ld10 and reroll keep it in place. WW shoot at the tank, even though there are more pressing concerns closer at hand, taking one wound of it. GG manage to kill one knight.
Turn 2 EM
Movement. Both the remaining demi and the knights charge the treeman. Stand and shoot take one or two wounds of the last demi. Steam tank get 4 points and slams my WR so hard they all die to impact hits. Wow.. I did not know it could do that. It's crazy!
Combat: Demi take on wound of treeman and the KF and the knights (only three could strike) take him down to one wound left. Ouch. Treeman strikes back and allocate all attacks on the knights, killing two. I didn't see the demi as much of a threat any more now that it was down to one or two wounds

Turn 3 WE
Movement: WD charges the steamtank that's in the regular forest where the wild riders had been. I knew I wouldn't win but I had another fight to take care of that was more pressing so tying it up was good enough. Twins move up the hill now that no canon can shoot it, I make sure I cant be charged next turn by anything other than by really long ones. WW move back some more and so do GG, still keeping the forest behind them.
Shooting: Non, every target in combat.
Combat: Treeman dies and demi reforms towards WW and knights towards GG. WD can't make a dent in the tank but have done the 3++ dance and aren't wounded in return. Maybe could have done the extra attack dance to make a wound since he didn't have that many close combat attacks this turn.
Turn 3 EM
Movement: Both knight units charge their targets. Demigryph dies to WW stand and shoot and KF with knights fail their charge on a roll of 6, one knight was poisoned by the GG and died. Steam tank get 4 points and use them to grind my poor WD to dust in the movement phase and I just can't believe it. So horribly wrong to make something like that. Hate that tank already. 3++ hadn't helped since this was in movement phase and not in combat and these aren't impact hits but some kind of grinding movement.

Turn 4 WE
Movement: I move back with GG and stand pretty good against KF and his knights. Twins move to shoot at the steam tank seeing as it is impossible to hide from it now that it is height with the center of the hill. WW stand still, now in better position for a charge from KF than my GG.
Shooting: One wound of the tank from twins and then my WW kill all the regular knights. Only BSB and the emperor are standing. Great shooting face. WW are really good at this. GG fail to wound or are saved.
Turn 4 EM
Movement. He charges GG but fail again. Such luck for me! Stand and shoot take a wound of KF and one of BSB. Steam tank fail a DT or does something else that make it lose two wounds, half it's wounds left.

Turn 5 WE
Movement: Twins get ready to shoot at the tank again. GG decide not to move but only wheel to get steam tank in forward arc to although they wont get stand and shoot at KF and BSB now, but better that than a steam tank grinding them down.
Shooting: WW and GG put everything in KF and BSB and both die looking like pincushions. Karl Franz failed all but one 4++ save. Twins take another wound of steam tank.
Turn 5 EM
He move the tank to my flank and shoot at my GG killing four.

Turn 6 WE
Movement: GG start to get away from the tank as far as possible not wanting to allow for all those impact hits. Twins get closer and WW reform to face it.
Shooting: Another wound of the tank but it still has 3.
Turn 6 EM
Tank generate enough points but fail to get into my GG but shoot at them and kill two more.

I won with 26 against 21 wounds and I must say, this game was over in like 40 minutes. It was fast paced and so much fun! Non of us really felt that this is a loss, I can still win this was always there. We were really happy with the result and I had totally made 111 wounds this tournament and that made me the winner of the tournament! I had a blast playing with the others and will continue to do so. I also liked writing this down and will probably keep on going, will have to remember to take pictures next time.

That was it for this thread! Thank you for reading and as always, comments and tips are welcome.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Local tournament battlereps. Update** vs. Empire

Post by Mollesvinet »

Thanks for those reports. As I think it was mentioned earlier, a picture or diagram of at least deployment would really help to get an overview of the battle.

Seems this game was a learning experience when it came to the steam tank. I must admit, I have never faced one either so it will probably happen to me as well.

Not to take anything away from you winning the tournament, but I think the victory by wounds really favour elite armies. Horde armies will really suffer from this rule, as you mentioned the beastman had 60 wounds on the table (much more than you).

In any case, congratulations on the victory and I hope to hear more from you soon.
Etheneus
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Etheneus »

Mollesvinet wrote:Thanks for those reports. As I think it was mentioned earlier, a picture or diagram of at least deployment would really help to get an overview of the battle.

Seems this game was a learning experience when it came to the steam tank. I must admit, I have never faced one either so it will probably happen to me as well.

Not to take anything away from you winning the tournament, but I think the victory by wounds really favour elite armies. Horde armies will really suffer from this rule, as you mentioned the beastman had 60 wounds on the table (much more than you).

In any case, congratulations on the victory and I hope to hear more from you soon.
First thank you, secondly yes, both me and the empire player had tabled the Beastmen and was in the lead at the last match. I never played the bret or ogre players (the bret got second place at the end but never played Beastmen) but they had like me something like 40 wounds while empire and WoC Had 30.
We will keep the low magic phase for next tournament but will try to make it more balanced. The suggestion of only counting close combat wounds was voiced but discarded since that would make it almost impossible for me.
We will see this summer as the group normally plays this during summer but now made a winter (spring) edition of it.

I have an upcoming grand tournament (Gothcon) in two weeks and will take pictures and post reports from it.
Rafiki
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: All female wood elf army

Post by Rafiki »

Seems like you had a good strategy, i did wonder why no eagles. But seems like the treeman did do a good job, did no one in the tournament take Banner of eternal flame?

I hope you take pictures next time, already like you quick and efficient way of dealing with yours and your opponents turns.
and it is nice to get a look on a wood elf army when it wins, so hope you continue to post battlereps.
Etheneus
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Ljungancon summer 2015 Battlereps (8th)

Post by Etheneus »

Alright. Earlier this year (mars) me and my gaming group decided to play a few games in a little tourney we called Ljungancon and now we have just played the summer edition of that tourney. When I say tournament here I mean we met drank beer, ate pizza and a hole lot of other snacks. We started the day with WHFB 8th. We had a few different scenarios and those were the only things that gave you points. It was hard to remember that and not trying to care about VP. We played on half a board so 4x3 feet, not leaving much room for maneuver.

My first game was against the man whom given the tournament its name, Ljungan, he is a painter mostly (I don't have any great pictures of it but believe me, he's good) and these small games is meant to bring him to the table. He had Ogre Kingdoms with him.

1250p

WE
Treeman ancient Life lv4
BSB (Spear, shield, Dragonhelm)
16 GG Hagbane, Mu
5 GR Trueflight, std
5 WR, shield, std gleaming pennant
5 WR, shield, std
5 WW

OK
Wizard (don't remember the name) Lore of Fire, not sure what level but I think it was a lv2
BSB
5 Ogre (BSB here)
4 Iron guts (wizard)
3 Yeti
3 Leadbelchers
1 Stonehorn

Scenario
Three objectives are placed on a diagonal line, one in the middle and one in each deployment zone. The one in the middle gave 1 BattlePoint and the one in your opponents zone gave 2 BP. The unit claiming this is the closest unengaged unit (had to be within 6") with the highest Scoring point. Every unit have a scoring point, monsters, 15+inf or 4+ mo inf are 3 scoring points. Every other inf, mon inf, cav and mo cav are 2 SP, warbeast are 1 SP. Unit with these rules: fast cav, chariots, fly, hoover, scout, vanguard, ambushers, needed to have a flagg or be a monster to get 1SP.
So my Ta and GG are 3sp each, WR and GR are 1SP each since they have fast cav rule (and ambushers for GR), WW didn't get a SP so couldn't hold objectives.

Magic
He had flamecage and fireball (atleast those were the only ones he cast)
I had Throne of vines, Flesh to stone and awakening the woods, and something else that I never cast.

Deployment
Deployment
Deployment
I put my Venom thicket in the corner to help me hold the objective there. He placed his regular ogres at his objective in the opposite corner (also in a forest) I placed my WR (with gleaming pennant) next to my forest and he put down his leadbelchers beside his Ogres. I put my second unit of WR on the left side of the hill almost in the corner. He put down the stonehorn on the right side of the impassable ruin (it was a watchtower actually but we used is as impassable terrain) My BSB went with the GG and TA hid behind the hill. Vanguard saw my two WR unit getting ready to threaten his army (especially wizard in Iron guts and leadbelchers) unfortunately I was a little to bold with WR1
I had +1 but I rolled a 1, he begun
OK Turn 1
OK Turn 1
His Stoenhorn had better movement than I had thought and charged my WR, he needed 10 and got 5+5 so in he got. Everything else move forward.
Magic was 6+2 vs 6+C. He irresistibly cast flamecage with 6 dice on WR2 which kills 3. His miscast saw two wounds on his Ironguts.
Shooting with his leadbelchers killed the last two WR.
Impact hits from the stonehorn kill 4 WR and the survivor fail to wound the stonehorn and as does his steed. The stonehorn kill the last rider and overruns far ahead into my lines but misses my GG by half an inch or something.
WE Turn 1
WE Turn 1
TA turns towards the stonehorn to charges it next turn. GG and WW stay still.
Magic was 3+3 vs 3. He let throne go and failed to dispel my 3 dice flesh on my GG. Awakening the woods got through with the last dice and put 4 wounds on his Leadbelchers.
Shooting with GG got 5 wounds on his ironguts killing two (one was wounded from the miscast), WW put 2 wounds on the leadbelchers, this mean there is only one left on full wounds.
OK Turn 2
OK Turn 2
Stonehorn turns towards the incoming TA charge. (My opponent didn't know about the treewhack), everything else move up to get into the fray.
Magic was 6+3 vs 6. He cast flamecage on my WW (I was more worried about the fireball for some reason so let it go) it killed 3. He then get IR on the fireball on the WW and the reamaning two are dead. I have forgotten to write down the miscast but it cant have done much.
So, I have lost three units, have a monster in my deployment zone and one unit outside the field. Not looking good.
Shooting with the LB failed to hit my GG. Stonehorn shoot at my TA and does 3 wounds.
WE Turn 2
WE Turn 2
GR appears behind the ogres close to the objective in my opponents zone.
TA charge the stonehorn
Magic is low again. 1+2+C vs 2. I used all my dice on Flesh to stone on my TA also healing one wound.
GG kills Ironguts and wizard by doing 7 wounds on the unit. No more flamecage!
TA does a treewhack at the stonehorn who pass his I2 test by rolling a 2. Dammit!
Stonehorn hit my T10 TA 3 times and get TWO! sixes! Atleast i managed to save them both. He losses on the charge but stays.
OK Turn 3
OK Turn 3
Yetis and Ogre turn to catch my GR. LB moves closer trying to hold the middle objective.
Shooting, 5 shoots from the LB misses my GG, bad roll.
Stonehorn misses my TA with all attacks and fail his I test this time and takes 5 wounds, he flees towards the table edge running of the board since he can't stop inside my GG.
WE Turn 3
WE Turn 3
TA rushes to the objective in the middle and the LB there. GR moves away from the Yetis and ogres. GG Shuffles a little
Magic is 5 vs 4 and I put flesh to stone on my GG again but he dispels my Awakening the woods on Ogres. This heals one wound on him.
No shooting wounds this turn since I couldn't get my GG to hit anything. (needed sixes)
OK Turn 4
OK Turn 4
Ogres fail a swift reform and just reform towards the center. Yetis move to block the objective in his zone from my GR
Leadbelchers fail to wound my TA
WE Turn 4
WE Turn 4
TA charge the LB.
Magic (forgot to note how many dice) was low again. Only getting flesh to stone on my TA but he is now back to full wounds.
GG and GR shoot at the yetis trying to clear the objective for my GR. A total of 4 wounds leads to one dead yeti.
LB dies to treewhack and TA overruns to the impassable terrain. (Tried to get out of charge arc of the Ogres and succeeded)
OK Turn 5
OK Turn 5
Ogre get closer to the TA, yetis shuffle a bit
WE Turn 5
WE Turn 5
TA turns towards the incoming Ogre and places himself closer to the objective since I was to far away to claim it.
Magic is another low phase 1+1+C vs 1 but I get flesh of on my TA
Shooting take two wounds of the yeti (I accidentally put three wounds on the chart)
OK Turn 6
OK Turn 6
Ogres charge the TA and I challenge, he decline with BSB. I thought he had to accept with his champion then but he said that was not the case, we were running out of time and I felt safe anyway with Flesh up so let it go. I treewhack his champion and kills him but take a wound myself. This make the combat end in his favor due to two standards, charge and one wound vs 3 wounds. I stay even though my BSB was out of range.
WE Turn 6
WE Turn 6
With a fight in the middle, no one could claim the objective and the lone yeti on 3 wounds was blocking the objective in his zone, this would be the big turn. If I could kill the yeti and place my GR close enough and have his ogres flee I would win by 3.
Of course when thinking about the odds of killing the yeti with only my GR I thought it impossible. My GG was shooting through the center combat it was hard cover for them, so I instead of moving my GR to the objective I just tried to get as many GG to shoot without the penalty as possible when I finally got nine to do that I hadn't moved my GR and forgot them till suddenly the last yeti was killed in the shooting phase. Dammit!!!
Magic only saw me put flesh on my TA, healing the wound suffered in the process. This was it. His BSB declined challenge again and my treewhack rolled a 1 on the test. He didn't wound me either not that it mattered. My TA held on stubborn and that was it.

0-0 BP.
If I just had moved those GR.

Hope you enjoyed it. I will fix the rest of the reports (two more games that day) when I have the time.
Criticism is welcome
Etheneus
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Etheneus Battlereports (8th) Update 150720

Post by Etheneus »

Game 2 on our Ljungancon tournament. After some coffee, a beer and lunch (not necessarily in that order) we were ready for the second game of the day. SInce I took zero points in the last match (which all but two players did If I remember correctly) I was chosen to play against an Orcs and Goblin army.

My army was the same as last so scroll up to look through it.

His army was:
War boss (of some kind)
Goblin Shaman lv2, don't remember lore name but he had these spells: Gift of spider and Gork Fix It. Dispel scroll
Goblin BSB with spider standard (giving his unit poison shoots and CC attacks)
81 Night goblins in a massive block, bows and nets
6 Trolls
Mangler squig
2 Doom divers (I hate these things)

Scenario
This time we played something called The Royal Carriage. Both had to escort one chariot to the other table edge, succeed and you get 2BP. If you stop your opponents carriage from getting to the edge (you didn't have to kill it) you get 1BP.
Stat:
M7+1D6 WS3 BS3 S5 T5 W6 A0 I5 Ld10
Unbreakable,Armour Save 4+, Random movement (7+1D6)
Protection of royalty: The Royal Carriage has a 4+ Ward save
No one commands me: The royal carriage is unaffected by all effects that modifies movement or moves it in any way.
It is deployed last (after characters that is) It can't be placed opposite the opponents chariot or so that it will hit impassable terrain. It can only move straight forward. It can be closer than 1" to enemy units, impassable terrain and the edge.
It does impact hits on contact with an enemy but does not have to charge, that means that it don't have to maximize and the enemy closes the door. It also does 1D6 grindig hits in the combat round.
If charged it does its grinding and then moves on like nothing happened in the next round. The unit that was in combat get to make one free reform.
It can't flee. pursue or overrun.

My Hagbane glade guard should be able to handle that in a couple of rounds and a charge from my WR should help although the grinding hits comes before my ASF. Well that is to say if I remembered to play by the scenario.

My spells this time were Awakening the woods, flesh to stone, Regrowth and Dwellers. So in a game were spamming of dwellers is crucial I did not get throne of vines. Dammit!
Terrain
Terrain
The terrain was simple. We had a impassable terrain to the right and a small forest to the left. We also had a hill in the edge of my deployment and a fence just in front of the left side of my venom thicket. He had an arcane ruin in his deployment that was a bit special. It counted as a ruin (not arcane) that had sunken in a swamp. Every unit took DT and would fail on both 1 and 2, but since it is a building, it also gave hard cover to anyone occupying it.
Deployment
Deployment
Deployment. I didn't write down the order but I put my GG on the edge of the hill to see all of the field, this was a mistake but more on that later. My WR was put in the forest and on the left edge, my BSB with the GG and TA behind my WR in the forest, just inside it with his base.
He put his big block and all heroes in it inside the Swamp ruin. His trolls on the side of that and squig in the back. Next to the squig he placed his two doom divers, either side of the squig.
My chariot ended up behind my GG so that it would run along the edge of the impassable terrain in the front and he put his along the left table edge. Here is why my GG were placed wrongly. I forgot the scenario again and although my GG could shoot over the open ground he wouldn't place his chariot there, I couldn't even shoot at it! Should have placed my GG in the forest so they could move to shoot anything and be ready to move to which side was needed. Atleast I could place my WW so that they could block the path.
I had +1 but again, he my opponent got first turn
OG Turn 1
OG Turn 1
He didn't fail animosity or stupidity at all this game so I won't write it anymore.
His chariot set to full speed rolling a 5 so moved 12" forward. His mangler put itself were the chariot had been, obviously tailing it. NG moved forward without marching so they didn't have to take DT and still could shoot, trolls move up more aggressively, standing in front of my WR2.
Magic was good to him. 5+4+C vs 5. I am afraid of gift of spider which would have made his poison shoots from NG work on 5+ instead of 6+. I dispelled it with all my dice and he was then free to cast Gork Fix it on my GG so my poison was out of the game for now.
He aimed everything he had on my WW killing just two with 24 shoots from the NG. He then shoots with one doom diver, getting a misfire killing 4 NG. The other one hits the WW destroying the unit.
WE Turn 1
WE Turn 1
WR2 need 8 to charge his trolls and that is esay, I roll 1,1,4 and stumbles 4 forward. My chariot rolls a 2 so moves 9" forward. My TA moves 1" forward to get into dwellers range of his NG. WR1 moves to the fence ready to support in the coming troll battle, charge the chariot or the NG.
Magic i as always low for me. 4+1 vs 4. I throw them all on a dwellers and roll like 23 so he uses the scroll.
My GG can't shoot at the chariot and have to reroll al sixes so I do ONE wound on his trolls.
OG Turn 2
OG Turn 2
Trolls charge my WR2. His chariot roll a six so moves 13" forward and the mangler follows. NG moves forward a bit.
Magic is boxcar! vs 6. He now gets Gork fix it on my WR1 and I dispell it, hoping for the next turn charges. He puts gift of spider on his trolls, like they need poison to kill wild riders.
He shoot all his NG shoots at my WR1 and take 2 wounds of them. One doom diver blows itself up and the other only manage to kill one rider from WR1.
In combat my WR2 does 6 wounds to the trolls, killing 2 (he didn't make a single regen save) The trolls kill 3 riders. He loses but holds on general LD and BSB.
WE Turn 2
WE Turn 2
I "charge" his mangler with WR1 killing it but dieing myself also. GR comes in and instead of taking out that blasted doom diver I place them in front of the chariot. My chariot moves forward again but I have forgotten to note how far, but the combat shouldn't be in front of it but to the side of its path so don't trust the pictures there. TA backs up a bit again, not needing to be so close anymore to the NG. GG turns towards the chariot now that I remembered the scenario is what gives point and his trolls are just a distraction.
Magic is finally good and gives me 6+3 vs 6. I IR dwellers on him killing the shaman and 32 goblins! (a little below average now that I think about it) Magic superiority is mine again from turn 2. (Well, I had a lv4 and all the other players had lv2 I think and +1 in a forest so that wasn't so hard) The miscast takes a wound of my TA (not shown) and the rest of my dice.
Shooting does exactly 0 wounds on the chariot in spite of my quite good roll, his ward save roll saved everything.
In the troll vs WR combat he saves all 3 wounds I do to him and then he beats my riders to death.
OG Turn 3
OG Turn 3
Trolls charges my GG in the front (once again the picture is a little of, he could only charge my front) I hold being in my venom thicket and feeling safe. He takes one wound from DT but I forgot to put that in the picture.
His chariot once again roll a six so moves 13" forward. The likelihood of him getting of the table scoring 2BP next turn is great, needing only a 2+ (the table was 47" inch)
His NG shoot at my chariot but he rolls bad and I have luck in my save rolls so 28 shoots does 0 wounds. Doom diver fires and kill 4 GR.
In combat I take 6 wounds on his trolls killing 2 and he kills 5 GG. I won but he holds. I reform to ranks.
WE Turn 3
WE Turn 3
I choose not to charge into the trolls with my TA, I need to be able to cast dwellers on his NG now that they have begun shooting at the chariot. My chariot makes a long move forward, 12", ending almost in height with his NG block. My remaining Glade rider sacrifice himself to stand in front of my opponents chariot, giving me one more turn.
The winds of magic are low again, 2+1 I think, I only get flesh to stone on my GG since I was out of range for a small dwellers on his NG. Should have moved forward with my TA.
Shooting with my GR does nothing to his chariot
My GG finishes his his trolls in combat.
OG Turn 4
OG Turn 4
His chariot slams into my GR and he swift reforms with his horde of NG to face my chariot.
Doom diver does 2 wounds to my chariot and he also does 2 wounds with his NG. I only saved one wound on 4+ 4++ from NG. Dammit.
His chariots impact hits kills my GR but he isn't allowed a overrun per the rules.
WE Turn 4
WE Turn 4
I realize I can't stop his chariot and just try to make mine get to safety. My GG and TA promptly turns towards his NG and my TA even run towards it, hoping to charge next turn (if there is any).
I get 4+C vs 3 dice. Dwellers kill 25 Goblins but none of the characters. Should have healed my chariot instead with Regrowth which I could have and also put Flesh to stone on it but I just wanted to destroy that big unit and kill the BSB.
My GG kills another 5 goblins.
OG Turn 5
OG Turn 5
He charges my chariot and although I haven't written it down I think I killed 5 or 6 of his with grinding but he killed my chariot and that was it. His chariot got of the board and he netted 3Bp against 0.

He had a list that was made for this battle, but I had many opportunities to do as he did but I made so many mistakes towards the scenario, I mean, my chariot was exposed to all his things and my only real weapon against his chariot was my GG whom couldn't even shot at it. Lots of mistakes this game.
Well, third game against O&G (and the battle before was my first against Ogres) and I learnt a whole lot and confirmed my hate towards Doom divers. Last game of Ljungancon coming up tomorrow, against WoC.
edmondj
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Etheneus Battlereports (8th) Update 150722 vs O&G

Post by edmondj »

Excellent reports Etheneus. I really liked the game against the ogres, isn't it amazing how sometimes a tiny stupid silly mistake can cost you the game?

I also think you guys have added a lot by throwing away the entire victory point system and coming up with alternative winning conditions per scenario. Keeps the game fresh. In standard games, you see decisions being made with the notion of victory point playing in the head. Like, instead of shooting at the threatening unit, you fire at the lone survivor of a previously depleted one, because otherwise you don't get the points for it. There's nothing wrong with it, but it's good to come up with alternatives so players are forced to think a bit out of the box.

In short, a fun and well written report!
Etheneus
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Etheneus Battlereports (8th) Update 150806 vs WoC

Post by Etheneus »

Sorry for the hold on game 3. I have been busy with renovating my basement, had to pull down some old wooden panels and the walls just fell apart from underneath. It's been a long project.

So game 3 was against a WoC player mentioned in the reports above. Last time I played him it was his first time against wood elves and this was his second try. His static army was not good against me last time and this time he had brought things with more movement, but only slightly.

He had:
3 Skullcrushers of Khorne
1 BSB on juggernaut/demonic mount, at least it was an MC mount and he had him with the Skullcrushers
7? knights, unmarked
Lv 2 sorc on steed with knights
A block of warriors, have forgotten to write down how many, they were marked by Nurgle

The scenario for this match was fun. Each player chooses his two objectives and present it to the other player, if you succeed you win 1BP for each objective and if your opponent fail any of his it also net you 1BP, total of 3BP to be won.
These were the objectives
1. Kill the enemy general.
2. Get your own general killed in the close combat phase.
3. Hold an objective at the end of turn 5 (don't remember placement)
4. Hold two objectives at the end of turn 5 (12" apart from center line)
5. Have at least two flags in the enemy deployment zone at the end of turn 4, 5 or 6. (Not counting the BSB. Ambushing (or similar) units have to have been on the table for 3 rounds to be counted)
6. Never have below 3 fortitude points. No unit can count above 2 points. (So BSB and general in the same unit is still only two fortitude points)
7. Bring your opponent below 3 fortitude points. No unit can count above 2 points.
8. Kill two of the enemy's standard bearers. BSB counts
9. Kill models/units with two levels of magic (count the levels when they're on the table). Units/models that can channel but don't have levels counts as level 1 magic.

We had copied this from a tournament (Gothcon) and at that tournament it was really funny. In this match we both choose simple objectives, being a bit tired and having a hard time seeing what we could achieve against the other. I mean, holding an objective (or two) against his army? No thanks. The flags in his deployment would have been easy but I chose not to do that. In the end we both played the exact same two cards. Kill the enemy general (Sorc and TA) and kill two magic levels (Sorc and TA). Not really making the best of the scenario but well, thats what we did, both on low BP in the tourney.

Terrain
Terrain
We were on the same table as game 2 and I had the same side, the venom thicket was placed in the same place as last time, protecting my GG and giving my TA +1 to cast.

Sorc spells: Enchanted blades of Aiban, Transmutation of lead
TA spells: Earth blood, Flesh to stone, Throne of vines and Dwellers below

Deployment
Deployment
Deployment was similar to the match before. I had my GG in the forest this time from the start and my WW on the hill for great shooting. When I placed my WR1 he put down his Warriors on the same flank and I must say that it was a mistake. They are slow and wont get to me in many turns, not like they can get to my WR that easy. His sorc with knights and bsb with crushers were placed pretty close to each other, don't really remember if the sorc was behind the crushers but since on the first turn he wasn't in hard cover for my WW I guess that it wasn't so.
WE Turn 1
WE Turn 1
Finally! First turn!
I Move my TA to the edge of the forest and booth WR move forward a bit, I don't want to give him the opportunity to charge but I have already boxed him in with vanguard moves.
Magic is 1+1 vs 1. Come on! I get throne of vines up.
Shooting. WW take one wound of the crushers since they have hard cover against the knights. GG aslo shoots at the crushers but he saves them all.
WoC Turn 1
WoC Turn 1
His crushers rushes forward 14" towards my GG and placing himself between his sorc and my WR. He also moves his sorc and knights behind his crushers so that they can help in the coming fights, this will prove to be a big mistake wish I saw the moment he placed them there, more on that soon. His warriors moves up but are far from the battle.
Magic was good on him. 6+5 vs 6. He dispells throne, get enchanted blades on his crushers but I dispell lead on my WW. I should probably have dispelled enchanted blades but I wasn't going to fight his crushers in my plan.
WE Turn 2
WE Turn 2
I charge with booth WR towards his knights and sorc. I can just fit my WR2 between his crushers and the impassable terrain and my other unit need 10 or something to make it, big mistake on the placing I'm afraid but he was ready for the ones coming between the crushers and the terrain but not the other unit, I on the other hand had not anticipated his reaction, it scares him so much that he elects to flee with the knights and sorc but he only gets like 5" away and one unit still needs 12 to get in the other unit only need 9. I think long and hard on this but decide to not take my chance on that 9 but redirect both WR into his crushers and that gets me one in the front and one on the flank without the BSB.
Oh, and GR fail to show
Magic is good. 3+4 vs 4, I get throne up, Earth blood on TA, and flesh to stone on WR1. He fail to dispell anything.
Shooting kills two of the fleeing knights with WW who now have a clear view of the cowards. GG only manage to kill one warrior.
In the close combat I put everything on the crushers, ignoring the BSB. Both units manage to make 2 wounds each on the crushers, one more had seen two of them dead since they already taken one from WW previously but four wounds is good. Enough?
He kills one of my fleshed-up WR and two of the flanking ones. I win and he fails both his rolls, flees but I catch him in the marshes and one of my WR dies to DT.
WoC Turn 2
WoC Turn 2
The knights and sorc rally and turn towards my WR. Warriors continue their march towards my TA
Magic is 4+1 vs 4+C. He doesn't get anything through.
WE Turn 3
WE Turn 3
I can't charge this turn but shuffles a lot to box him in and drive him towards my archers and TA. GR shows up behind his knights. TA backs up a bit.
Magic is... low again... 1+1 vs 1, wtf? I get flesh on WR2 if he decides to charge.
Shooting. WW kills one knight. GG kills 4 warriors. GR fail to wound his knights.
WoC Turn 3
WoC Turn 3
Knights marches away as far as possible, getting away from WR2 arc. Warriors continue towards my TA.
Magic is 5+4+C vs 5. He cast lead on WW and I fail to dispell, he also gets enchanted blades on his warriors if I charge.
WE Turn 4
WE Turn 4
GR (needing 11) and WR1 (needing 8) charges his knights but booth fail. DT takes 2 of my WR so now there is one left, not much punch there. WR2 moves up behind the knights (and warriors) having 3 riders left.
TA move 10" so that he blocks any escape for his knights and to bait him in but I can't get out of the warriors arc that way and just accept it since he needs a 8 or 9 to get in with them.
Magic is 3+3 vs 3 and I only cast dwellers but fail.
Shooting kills 3 warriors totally from GG. WW and GR fail to wound ( realized now the last unit wasn't allowed to shoot since they failed the charge but I didn't matter in this case)
WoC Turn 4
WoC Turn 4
Knights and warriors both charge my TA and this is were I realized that I left my BSB in the forest and with my luck on LD10 rolls I didn't want that. Oh and my TA acctually have the broad side of the base towards the knights and not the warriors. I forgot to change it.
Magic was 4+5 vs 5. I let lead on TA go since it doesn't affect the treewhack but he IR enchanted blades but I don't remember which unit he put the spell on so I just put it on his sorc. The IR does take his charmed shield away.
I challenge with my TA and he have to accept with the sorc since he doesn't have a champion. He fail to wound me and I fail to treewhack him. I loose combat and roll my break test. 6 comes up and 4, I was so scared when I saw that six that I almost peed my pants. I hold and we both know that this is it. Game over for WoC, at least the odds are very much against him now. (has been since he lost his crushers turn 2)
WE Turn 5
WE Turn 5
WR2 charge his warriors in the back. All other units move up if this would not prove to be it.
Magic is 4+4 vs 4. I put flesh on WR but he pulls a dispell scroll, I'm so impressed by that I can't believe it, he saved it for the right moment, that moment we all wished we saved it for. Good job! I put Earth blood on my TA
WR kills 6 warriors and they kill two WR in return so I have one left giving me +1 for standard +1 for charge +2 for rear, one guy! In the challenge non of us does anything. He loses by 5 in the end and his sorc flees of the board but my TA acctually catches the knights. The warriors flees but not far, I haven't written down if my WR followed or not but that was game. He had noting but his warriors left and was mere inches from the board needing double 1 to rally, we called it and joined the others who had been done for almost an hour.

I'm used to play against WoC, my main opponent fields them and we win about equally often, get first turn you win and that have become a little dull. He never brings knights against me anymore but still fields the crushers and I'm used to killing them of early. The scenario made this more interesting since those weren't a target for me but to clear them of turn 2 made the game. All WoC units can turn a battle but with just two units, one very slow and the fast one being the prime target made it very hard. He did the right thing going after my TA and keeping his sorc away so that he could turn the battle by double charging my TA, the rule that he have to challenge was against him there and may have saved me but stubborn ld10 is hard to move.

I ended up no.4 of 6 players. Would have been better if I just had remembered moving my GR in the first match. This was a really funny day. Lots of games and we didn't stop after this matches but tried X-wing and a few other games as well later on. The scenarios made the matches interesting as edmondj points out. I forgot to play by it in the second match (partially in the first also, curse you GR!) and it was a lot of fun.
Etheneus
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Etheneus Battlereports (9th) Update 160218 list

Post by Etheneus »

Well, I like most on this site have stopped posting here, GW haven't destroyed the game in my opinion but it really have taken the edge of the community and now they have stopped producing tomb kings. I still play some matches, 8th ET (my friend only wants to play undead legion) and another friend of mine and I are playing 9th with everything we got, it really have brought me back to my elves since I started to collect brets/kingdom of Equiatine instead.
Tomorrow I will play a 9th game against the WoC player I usually play. Thought I present the list here and get back with a report as soon as possible.

Lords: 595p
Forest prince, shapeshifter kindred (+4M +2I +1A 4++save can't be general, can only be on foot and can't join units) Mithril Mail (2+ AS) Ogre sword (+2S) and Dusk stone (re-roll failed AS) 275p
Treefather Ancient, Avatar of Nature (few changes, makes the wizard treeman a real CC unit with S7) entangling vines (enemies re-roll successful hits in challenge) General 320p

Heroes: 409p
Chieftain BSB, forest guardian kindred (foot only, innate defense 5+, +1A, only spear or gw) Hardened shield (+2AS) light armor and Sacred spear of Cadaron (multiple wounds 2, if he wounds his units gain distracting (-1 to hit)) Lucky charm (re-roll first failed AS) 169p
Druid l2, alchemy (metal) Obsidian Nullstone (MR3) 140p
Druid l1 shadow, dispel scroll, 105p

Core: 628p
Dryads 10, champ, skrimishers 132p
Heath riders 12, 3+AS, mugs and standard 236p
Sylvan Archers 10x2 mugs and black arrow (AP on long range, S4 on short) 130x2

Special: 702p
Forest Ranger 28, FCG, Amryl's banner (fight in extra rank) innate defense 6+, 447p
Sylvan sentinels 15, flaming standard, hawthorn points 225p

Rare: 160p
Pathfinders 8

I have to hard hitting lords which are hard to kill, a BSB for safety and two Druids for support. Some cavalry that I want to try with 3+AS, a flanking small unit of dryads and some archers for chaff killing and support. The Rangers to be my big block in the center and some sentinels with poisoned flaming attacks to kill the ever present chimera. Some pathfinders for a versatile units. The archers, pathfinders and dryads can redirect if need be but that is what the shapeshifter is supposed to do. Haven't played with most of these things in 9th so this is only for fun and to try them out.

Edit: noticed I had forgotten to give the Rangers the Amryl's banner so changed them to 28 and reduced the dryads to 10 to afford it, also gave the BSB lucky charm to make him a little harder to kill.
Last edited by Etheneus on 19 Feb 2016, 08:06, edited 1 time in total.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Hejsa Ethaneus,

That forest prince is pretty tough. I am running a stag lord at a tournament tomorrow, and the tougher characters are quite fun. You get rerollable armour saves, but I get toughness 5. Just be careful of stomps!

I bet this is already your plan, but Miasma on anything fighting the forest rangers is a must! Be careful with the rangers, they die very easily to spells and ranged fire. I used them against high elves and they never even got into combat I think. Although that was partly my own fault for stalling one turn.

Nice spot that the flaming banner now works with magical arrows! It is easy to be stuck in the old ways of 8th. This makes the flaming banner useful for the poison guys, but I still like it on my hard hitting combat units as well. The pathfinders can use flaming arrows, although it will be harder to push that wound through without poison.

Best of luck!
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Glad to see more common sense with the flaming banner, that should stop some rules arguments.

Where are the rules for "Stomp" now, is it still called stomp? Also Thunder Stomp what happened to that in T9A?

These Battle reports are great BTW! The maps remind me of the old White Dwarf magazines I used to read as a kid :D :thumbsup:
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Etheneus
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Etheneus »

Mollesvinet wrote:
I bet this is already your plan, but Miasma on anything fighting the forest rangers is a must! Be careful with the rangers, they die very easily to spells and ranged fire. I used them against high elves and they never even got into combat I think. Although that was partly my own fault for stalling one turn.
That is the plan yes and the alchemy Druid will give them more armor with the attribute. She will go with the Rangers so they can benefit from the MR3 of the Nullstone, will hopefully remove her from the unit before it is getting charged.
frogboy wrote:Glad to see more common sense with the flaming banner, that should stop some rules arguments.

Where are the rules for "Stomp" now, is it still called stomp? Also Thunder Stomp what happened to that in T9A?

These Battle reports are great BTW! The maps remind me of the old White Dwarf magazines I used to read as a kid :D :thumbsup:
Yes, the banner can also be switched on and of if you don't want to use flaming attacks.

Stomp is what it's always been, auto hit in CC against inf, warbeast, swarm and war machine and have the models strength. Very dangerous for my shapeshifter prince since he is a lone infantry model as Mollesvinet points out.
Thunder stomp is "gone". The stomp rule allow different values stated in brackets and mostly these rules come with the troop type but some units can buy it as an upgrade. Monsters still have Stomp (D6), monstrous things have stomp (1).
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Aww I get it, the Stomp rule is under the unit type in the main rule book. I missed that bit when initially flicking through.

Seems to be some nice combos with magic item etc, will have to check out the new magic lores next...
Etheneus
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Etheneus »

Minor victory for the elves! Very fun game which looked like a total loss for the elves at turn 2-3 but turned totally for a win with about 480 points. Will post a battle rep tomorrow since I'm to tired right now. Highlights was seeing the shapeshifter prince holding and almost destroying a unit of barbarians, after 6 turns of shooting finally killing the awful Elder dragon centaur and seeing about 40 throwing weapons coming at my 3+AS Heath riders and not taking a single causality.
I agree with @Mollesvinet that stomps are dangerous for the shapeshifter and so are a massive bunch of attacks from a warshrine. Be back tomorrow with more on this also.
frogboy
Elder of the Council

Post by frogboy »

I look forward to reading the full report ;)
Etheneus
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Etheneus »

Sorry for the delay on the battlerep, didn't manage to get the battlechronicler to work properly last weekend and during the week I was sent away on work.

Still not getting the chronicler to work I decided to post this anyway. Will edit in the diagrams as I get them done.

My list was as above but he had a totally different list from what he use to play:

2 Chariots
2x30 Barbarians
3 Once chosen (a mix of the End times units, putrid blightking, wrathmongers and I don't know what, basically they are now like our sister of thorn but in ogre size, the champion is a mage and the other are enough to hold their own in a fight)
2 Elder dragon centaur
1 Warshrine
BSB (in one barbarian unit)
Mage lv1 fire with ruby ring, so two fireballs.... (in the other barbarian unit)
Demon prince lv? lore?

The shrine is new, the once chosen is new, two blocks of barbarians is the first and TWO!!! Elder dragon centaurs is the first and I have had a hard time when only having to kill one. He is magic heavy, with lots of magic missiles to destroy my weak units, good I brought MR3.

He deploys first and only puts down a chariot I think so me not wanting to withstand all does MM deploys my whole army (80% was already planned ahead so)
20160219_Deployment.jpg
This is after scout (my pathfinders blocking his vanguarding barbarian horsemen) and his small vanguard move.

First turn to me so lets begin, movement will be easier to follow once I get the other pictures up.

SE 1
I move up everything that is CC oriented and reposition some of my archers slightly. AoN never stared behind the dryads, it was the other way around actually. He and the shapeshifter runs up ahead of the forest to lure charges and to hold the flank of the rangers who are now in the forest. The Heath riders get ready to counter-charge the Chariot2 should it try a long charge into the rangers but it left them within range also on a 10 but he also had to run through the forest in his deployment zone.
Magic is 4+1 vs 4. I fail enchanted blade on my lv2 but since I still can use him to cast I go for the Molten Metal (sig) on chariot2 with 3 dice and get a miscast, he try to dispell with four dice but fail so the miscast is on, the D6 hits becomes a 2 and that becomes 1 wound. The miscast take a wound of the mage and kill two rangers.
Shooting was as bad. Archer2 in the tower fail to wound chariot2 and archer1 only manage 1 wound on the once chosen and it is saved on the armor. Sentinels does 5 wounds to the once chosen but of course 3 are saved. The warshrine gave a aura protection against shooting apparently 5++ or 2 better to existing ward, this will be a major problem for my shooting. Pathfinders shoot double shot and kills all but one of the barbarian horsemen who doesn't care about panic and sticks. My BSB shoot a single shot and does a wound on chariot2 who is now down to 2 wounds left.

WotDG 1
No charges, just some moves. Centaur1 move up to block and threaten my archers and sentinels, once chosen to get in range with magic, barbarians stay put after measuring distances to my two lords. Chariots move together and centaur2 move to block my heath riders from getting flank charges, it also make sure my rangers can't flank charge being out of the arc. His DP is most cunning and move to the impassable terrain and can now only be charged by my shapeshifter prince and if I don't charge him, he'll have my AoN or rangers in the flank.
Magic is 4+1 vs 4+C. Bound fireball is dispelled, turns to smoke fail to cast and so does wave of transmutation.

SE 2
After some thoughts I charge my treeman towards barbarian 2 to kill the BSB, he fail to get 8. Shapeshifter charge barbarian 1 to get to the magic missile units. Sentinels and archer 1 move back from centaur1 while PF get to it's flank. Dryads move up to protect the rangers from the DP flank charge (my AoN have killed the DP before). Heath riders move past centaur2 into the forest to once again get possible flank of units (especially those charging the AoN or rangers)
Magic is 6+2 vs 6
Enchanted blade is let go on Archer2 in the tower. Miasma fail on 1 dice, boosted molten metal fail on 5 dice (1,1,1,1,2)
Archer2 now boosted with AP(2) on long range kill chariot2. Archer1, sentinels and PF fire away at centaur1 and manage a few wounds but all are saved (mostly on the 5++ from the warshrine)
CC have my shapeshifter challenge the lv1 fire mage (for once my opponent didn't bring champions in all his units) 3 hits, 3 wounds and the sorcerer is dead. I lose on passive CR but stay.

WotDG 2
Chariot 1 charge my AoN, S&S does 2 wounds, both saved on armor. The warshrine and DP also charges AoN. Centaur1 charges archer1 whom fail terror and flee, redirect towards sentinels, S&S fail to poison and wound but the centaur fails the charge. Centaur2 turns about to face AoN and rangers, once chosen move up a bit to get into range of the combat and archers. His barbarian2 reform to 2x10 (so all can S&S) and face my heath riders
Magic is 6+3 vs 6+C (I made so many channel rolls)
Pink fire fail to cast on 3 die. Turn to smoke is cast on 5 dice vs 6 dispell, AoN now only has strength 5 in the coming battle. I dispell miasma.
CC. My shapeshifter kill 4 barbarians but take one wound on bad roll. I lose on passive CR but stay.
AoN challenges and the DP have to accept so no impact hits from the chariot. (In this situation it was good but I really don't like that impact hits are on initiative now since the old rules could have changed this fight for much worse for me, it's just don't make sense that I can challenge to stop a chariot that rammed into me from doing damage) DP does one wound to me and I forgot that his DP always carries lucky shield so my crush attack does nothing. I lose and fail a rerollable ld9 and flee but he doesn't catch me and the warshrine turn towards my shapeshifter instead of pursue. The chariot faces the rangers and heath riders. The battlefield is really crowded right now.

SE 3
I charge with rangers into the chariot, it holds, heath riders does the same but now he flees. My rangers can't redirect since DP and AoN is in the way. Heath riders redirect towards the barbarians that S&S get 1wound out of 40 throwing weapons (hit on 7) and I save it on my 3+AS but fail the charge. I make the charge. AoN and archer1 rally. AoN continue to face centaur2, ignoring the rear charge from DP and archer1 turn towards centaur1. Sentinels move out of arc of centaur1
Magic 5+2+C vs 5+C
Molten metal (I forgot to declare it was the boosted one) is miscast on 5 die and my mage is sucked up into the chaos realms while my rangers take 16!!!! wounds. From this I get 3wounds on the warshrine, not worth it. Big mistake to put the mage that needed to 5 dice things in my big combat unit, should have had them the other way around.
Shooting get 2wound from sentinels on centaur1, PF also get a wound through but saved on 5++. Remembered to shoot with my BSB again and he fails to wound the warshrine while my archers in the tower does get 1 wound that is saved on armor.
In CC my shapeshifter fights desperately to kill the barbarians to get the passive CR down (only had to bring down one rank more to do that) and to hopefully break them so that the impacts of the warshrine doesn't kill him. He kill 5 barbarians and saves the 3 wounds they do to him. I win but he sticks on rerollable ld 10 (forgot about the high ld of the DP)

WotDG 3
Cent2 charges AoN, S&S fail to wound. DP charges the depleted rangers he fail one of four DT but saves it on ward. Cent1 charge archer1 whom fail terror again and flees of the board, he fails his charge since he can't redirect.
His chariot rallys to face my coming charge of the dryads and his barbarians with BSB reforms not trusting in the S&S anymore.
Magic is average but I forgot to write down the dice result.
Miasma on rangers is let go since I know he has to lower me by 3ws to make a difference, and of course he succeed in that too. Pink fire is scrolled, blue fire is dispelled.
Cent2 fail to wound AoN, I fail to hit with my crush attack, I'm a stubborn person and I wanted to get a crush attack through this game. And also (the turn to smoke is a RiP spell and it's still up, so I have strength 5 on normal attacks anyway) He wins on charge but I stay.
Shapeshifter does 3 wounds to the warshrine (that is a chariot but did not have impact hits) and does 3wounds to it but all are saved on ward, in return it does 2wounds that are saved on armor, barbarians does 4wounds that are also saved, I still lose by 4+fear and fail to hold. I flee 7" and the warshrine runs 12" and crushes my prince under it's wheels.
The DP is challenged by my champion and it kills him. I loose but hold.

SE 4
Dryads charge chariot1 and heath charge barbarians2 and once again S&S is either fail to hit or saved. PF have moves up the hill to get a great view.
Magic is 3+1 vs 3
I dispell turn to smoke with 3 dice and uses the last to cast miasma but he dispell it.
Shooting does 3 wounds from PF and sentinels on cent1 and archer2 shoot at something(?) but fail to wound
Heath riders does 7 wounds vs 6 (I failed all AS) from the barbarians that stick on steadfast. Cent2 does 1 wound to AoN and once again I fail to hit with crush attack. Despite hatred I only get 6 hits with dryads on chariot and of those 2 wounds, 1 saved. I take 4 wounds in return and fail all WS.
DP does 2 wounds and 2 stomps on my rangers, BSB does 2 wounds (from MW2 spear) and rangers does 4 wounds but 2 of the rangers wounds are saved on AS the other 2 on WS so none. He lose again but again holds.

WotDG 4
No charges. Cent1 turns and follows my PF in hope of boxing them in, he wants the secondary objective that is there so his barbarians go there ignoring my dryads and chariot1 combat. His warshrine moves up to give aura protection from the shooting and to charge the dryads if they survive next turn.
Magic is for the first time big. 6+5 vs 6+C
Wave of transmutation is failed to cast, blue fire is let go on PF and only does 1 wound and the attribute does nothing. Miasma is failed, finally turn to smoke is dispelled.
Barbarian1 shoot at PF and does a wound.
In CC his BSB does 1 wound on my riders and I can't seem to hit so only do 2 wounds. He does 7 back and I save 3. Ld 4 fails and I flee 11" the pursue is 7".
Dryads now hit with almost everything and does 5 wounds to the chariot and only one is saved, I turn towards the barbarians in hope of taking them down below steadfast so he can't claim the objective. Cent1 does 4 hits and 4 wounds on my AoN but I save 1 on AS and 2 on WS. I fail to crush him again. (I said I was stubborn)
DP does one wound on my BSB, I save it because of lucky charm, and 2 wounds on rangers and 3 wounds with stomps. My BSB does 2 wounds but both are saved, rangers does 5 wounds but only one goes through the saves. He wins but I hold.

SE 5
Dryads charge barbarian1. Heath rider fail to rally. PF move to the forest in his deployment to shoot at warshrine or once-chosen. Sentinels move up to shoot at same targets or cent1.
Magic is 4+3 vs 4
I 5 die the boosted miasma and of course miscast it with another Breach in the veil. Mage gone, and so are 4 sentinels. I think I cast it on his warshrine or barbarians but since I havn't written it down I might as well forgot it in combat later.
The sentinels manage to kill centaur 1 whose been harassing my archers all game. (it was just outside the aura of the warshrine this time) PF and archer2 fail to wound the warshrine tough.
In CC my AoN takes 3 wounds but saves them all. (remember he only has 3 wounds left) AoN stops his crush attacks and now does normal, managing 2 wounds on the centaur. Dryads does 9 wounds to the barbarians and only receive 1 in return. He flees and I pursue despite the warshrine on the flank, I don't want him to rally to claim the objective. He runs 6" and I pursue 5"! Rangers take another beating from the DP, 2 wounds gone but my BSB nicks of the last two wounds when he fails his saves (3+as and 5++ws) against the MV2 spear.

WotDG 5
Warshrine charges my dryads. Barbarian2 move in to either support cent2 in CC, destroy my rangers and BSB or to just claim the objective in front of my forest. Once chosen stay put I think. Barbarian1 I don't really remember, rally or not.
Magic 5+1 vs 5. He fail pink fire and I dispel blue fire.
His barbarians realise they are in range of my rangers in the forest and throw their weapons but fail to hit.
In CC his centaur hit 3 times and for wounds roll 1,1,1. I am stubborn so once again try the crush attack and finally I hit! AND WOUND! doing 1+2(from D3) wounds. He of course holds but I'm so happy right now! :D
Dryads fail to take the last wound of the warshrine with 4 attacks and are destroyed in return when they flee.

SE 6
No charges (PF could charge but preferred to shoot) Heath rider runs of the board. Every able archer move to shoot at the shrine or barbarians. BSB and rangers hide from barbarian2 behind the close combat between AoN and Cent2
Archers2 and pathfinders does the 1 wound on the warshrine (1 left). Sentinels kills the last two barbarian1. Warshrine and once-chosen fail panic and flees.
Cent2 does 1 wound to AoN but I kill him with normal attacks.

WotDG 6
Rally on warshrine and Once-chosen.
Magic is 3+1 vs 3
He miscast Wave of transmutation on AoN but rolls 1 to wound. He loses the spell.
In an last attempt to take points barbarian2 shoot at the AoN but fail to wound.

Result is a minor victory!

About the units:

Heath riders 3+AS, non of my friends have much shooting and in this game I didn't need re directors as much but I got them into a fight that I thought was a decent match up. The barbarians and BSB did kill alot of my riders but T3 vs S5 (GW) is something I wanted to send them into to see the result. T3 3+AS survives shooting to get into combat but wont stand a chance in a frontal charge (as expected) if they can't break the enemy on the charge. The numbers were also that so if I got a flank charge I would break steadfast (2 ranks in flank or rear does that) but with the more restricted move it was a bit hard and I really didn't have many targets for it to work properly.
Rangers didn't get the time to shine either. They were a threat to all his things in theory but as with all T3 infantry stomps do hurt. The innate defense was a bit lost in this fight as most everything would bring their 5+AS down to 0 with the high strength attacks. The combination with alchemy attribute is good but not in this match. To bad I lost so many to miscast I didn't even get to use the Amryl's banner. Need to try again.
Skirmish Dryads are great. Redirect or flank charge or clear small units. With S4 they are good enough, I don't like that you can give them S5 and I think that will be corrected in version 0.12
Archers with black arrow nothing to say,, choice.
Sentinels with poison and flaming didn't need the flaming but still like the idea. The alchemy mage should have gone here instead of with the rangers.
Pathfinders versatile and on the whole a good unit. Lacks something extra I would say but they are solid. Not an auto-include anymore. The AP3 arrow should go up to AP4 to handle +1AS better.
Sacred spear of Cadaron is good! It killed a demon prince! Didn't get to use distracting tough and that's a shame. Made to be with the rangers I would say.

Shapeshifter prince My god he can do stuff! He will take long time to get through large units of infantry but he can do it if you keep BSB close enough for when passive CR is enough to lose the battle. I will try more against other targets but he doesn't like auto hits or massive amount of attacks. T3 is the thing balancing this guy. And the cost.
Avatar of nature rock solid. Love this guy, have become an auto include for me but I don't face WM so far. Will need to try the regular treefather a bit more.

Hope you enjoy and feel free to point out mistakes (in list, language, tactic or whatever)
Etheneus
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Etheneus Battlereports (9th) Update 160805 monster mash

Post by Etheneus »

Oj. Long time since I posted anything here. I have played a few games since February when I last posted a battlerep.
Today I played a second game with a monster mash Sylvan Elves list with 9th rules. Won't do full reports on the battles but a summary.

The first list in short:
Lv4 Nature on dragon, lucky charm, (among few things that work on a ridden monster) scroll of shielding

Chieftain BSB on eagle with hail shot, gamblers armor and dragonfire gem.

Dryad Matriarch Lv2 wilderness

13 dryads, skirmish, champ
2x5 heath riders
2x10 black arrow archers mus, standard

8 pathfinders
2xTreefathers one with impaling roots

This game was at the beginning of summer so don't really remember it well. The result was that my army took everything except characters from my opponent's WotDG.
The dragon mage was passive the whole game and I didn't get the spell I took a Lv4 nature for. (Summer growth to heal my monsters better than just the attribute) The dragon isn't the killing machine I want it to be and for the points (specially with a mage) a simple treefather is better IMO.
AoN was used in every match before 1.0 of 9th came out. I love this guy but thought he was expensive for 320p and now he is 340p and I stopped using him but now when he finally saw play again he did his best alone when another treefather failed the combo charge on a block of warriors with a character and Elder dragon centaur coming in from the flank. He didn't shine but did good.
Pathfinders and black archers was best in game here. Killing a little chaff to start but then concentrating fire on my opponent's 6 knights and 3 crushers killing all, the last knight on the last round. I admit to lucky rolls but they were used aggressively to get most out of S4 short and no penalties for move and shoot.

Second game today with slightly different list:
Prince on dragon, lucky charm and lucky shield and divine icon (among few things that work on a ridden monster) and lastly whirlwind blade. The blade doesn't give me +1as on the dragon but S6 and MV2: Yes please! (When writing this I saw the blade was on foot only, oops )

Chieftain BSB on eagle with armor of fortune and dragonfire gem.

Lv2 white with tome of arcane lore for another spell and obsidian pebble.

Lv2 white with dispel scroll

11 dryads, skirmish
2x5 heath riders
2x10 black arrow archers mus, standard

8 pathfinders
2xTreefathers

To summaries:
Turn one saw me concentrating all my monsters towards the two forest in the center of the table despite him coming full throttle with two T5 2+ chariots and two Elder dragon centaur coming on the flank.
I had two miscast but he deemed one of the spells to dangerous and use the scroll on it but let me have the other. From now both his and my magic phases does nothing till turn 5 were I kill his Lv4 heavens. We either dispels or fail to cast all game.
Turn two I still don't charge but position to take the massive flank charges coming my way. My heath riders redirected one EDC and one chariot was not in range for a target but the other chariot and EDC charged my AoN whom in two turns slaughtered them, taking three wounds in return. Best thing is, he did this again after the other two had killed a regular treefather and then charged him but now he broke them directly dealing four wounds on the chariot that had already been wounded. He later died when I got greedy on turn 6. All my opponent had left was his BSB on chariot and his warrior block contesting the objective. Shoting killed off the BSB my tree killed the champion in challenge but ranks and flag (he was in a forest so no steadfast at least) made me only win by two and he sticks resulting in my AoN demise when he had to take the halberds of the whole warrior block.
My dragon killed his general in challenge turn 3 or 4. I charged in hoping my 4 ws8 i8 divine S6 MV2 attacks would be enough. He saved like a good and I only got one mw through and a wound later from the dragon. His lord and manticore did 5 wounds on my dragon since S7 left little save from the Lord and the manticore did two lethal strikes. I lost but stick. Next turn he charged his warriors in my flank so even though I killed his general with max overkill I lost and this time I fled. My opponent's mage killed me with a thunderbolt next turn but to do it he had stepped out of his unit letting me kill him.
Not much else to say. One treefather held a forest with my dryads all game just to secure that flank but didn't fight anything. His BSB that had gotten two arcane dissolution on him (only taking one wound) taking away his dragonfire gem and dusk stone. The BSB never dared charge after that but got shot and magic missile to death.
My archers cleared his three units of wolf and his skirmish frenzy things I don't remember the name of. That is to say my pathfinders helped but really was bad at to would rolls today.

Great game in all ending 11-9 since he has the objective because I didn't measure properly that my archers were within 6. They were at 6,2

This time the dragon saw a fight and it left it with one wound after a turn. Sure it was against a chaos lord and they are as hard as they can be but still, the low saves of it really hurts and even though you can go super offensive with the Prince on top it just seems mediocre compared to a shapeshifter or WH Prince. Treefather seem plain better for the points.
I will start playing with the AoN a bit more again because he wrecks face.