Mollesvinet - 2016-06-27 - Call to War 2016 List

Here is the place for all your reports of battles against those who seek to defile our sacred glades.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Mollesvinet - 2016-04-18 - Colchester tournament replay

Post by Phil Rossiter »

I only spotted this today Thomas!

I don't think the Glade Rider thing was too awful, especially considering the other controversies at the tournament and the fallout on TWF! There have been so many changes to 9th Age that everyone is making mistakes in list selection. Hopefully this will settle down once version 1.0 is set.

So you went for the Great Weapon on the BSB. How did that work out compared to Lance? Did you miss the Dryads? Ambush can be a double-edged sword, you get great positioning but the unit just doesn't contribute until mid-game. Are you happy to play without the Waywatchers now?

I found game one especially interesting because I play Daemons of course. Your opponent's list looks tough but a little slow and Wood Elves always prefer slower enemies. Horn of Damnation, love it! Odd to see a Dispel Scroll. I was trying to work out the role of the 16 Tallymen, not sure BSB bunker is ideal. 2x2 Beasts, is that typical? You just seemed to pick him apart with all the classic moves. Cataclysm on the big unit sums it up.

Love the Reform Charge in game two, it's so easy for an opponent to overlook. Gregory seems to have been pretty unlucky here. In game three too. Game four it looked like your opponent didn't bring enough Skink Skirmishers to me. He was combat-heavy and you seemed to outplay him. Last game looked like a challenge and your dice looked horrible.

High Elf players are complaining a lot about high magic but I agree with you, it's good. Earthing Rod seems to have worked out well, considering the four-dice casts the Path encourages. I've played Tom Richards. Quite intense but a real sportsman. Interested to see what you're going to bring next!

:)
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Mollesvinet - 2016-04-18 - Colchester tournament replay

Post by Mollesvinet »

Hi Phil,

Yeah the glade riders were a whoopsie, but I decided to go for the 3+ ones and mainly use them against chaff and to claim objectives.

Great weapon on the BSB worked out well in my opinion. It was his WS and ward save that protected him in most cases, and S6 is so much better than S4 if the fight prolongs.

I am quite happy to play without waywatchers at this point. The AP3 arrows are okay, but they are so very expensive and I feel like high strength and magic are better ways of dealing with armour at this point.

Not sure about the 2x beast thing, keep in mind he though they still had 4 wounds each. Haven't played enough 9th to really know what is "normal". With danger of sounding like a fan boy, I guess the nice thing about 9th is that there usually aren't many cookie-cutter builds (except the 3 spiders in orcs and goblins that is!).

About my next list, see next post!
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Mollesvinet - 2016-02-05 - Bristol list tryout 4x monsters!

Post by Mollesvinet »

Introduction
Last tournament I had a mage on a dragon, and I realized how much fun it is to have monsters stomp the lives out of your opponents. As such I decided to bring a lot of monsters, and also I wanted to bring more forest spirits so I came up with an idea for a list:
Avatar of Nature (the royal oak) – Oaken Crown

Mage lord – Green dragon (Gregory), level 3 beast, dispel scroll

BSB – eagle (AP1, lightning reflexes), great weapon, shield, cloak, armour of destiny

10 glade guard – black arrows, musician

5 glade riders – banner, cloaks, shields, sylvan lances

30 dryads – full command!

10 forest rangers – banner, icon of relentless company

Great Eagle

10 sentinels – poison arrows, scout

Treeman

Treeman

I was debating with myself whether to go with the dragon mage and avatar combo or go fighting dragon and treeman ancient mage, but I decided for this one to get full command on the dryads.

My opponent had the following:

Archmage – level 4 light, book of +1 to cast, ethereal cloak
Commander – white lion, lion chariot, great weapon, shield, demon helm, holy icon (1+ armour, 3++ versus magic, double wounds versus monsters and holy attacks)

BSB – Phoenix guard type, mithril mail, dawn spear (2+ armour save, 4++, MR1 and strength is always 1 higher than opponents toughness)

26 coast guard – bow and spear

5 silver helms – banner, 2+ armour

2x 5 reavers

7 dragon knights – full command, +1S on charge, devastating charge

16 sisters – bows with S4 flaming

Great Eagle

25 Phoenix guard – full command, flaming banner

Sky Chariot – reaper bolt thrower, hard target

I was happy to see so much infantry, but the chariot commander really scared me as he would take down all of my monsters if in contact with them. Second highest concern was the dragon knights.

For spells we got:
Beast – monstrous transformation, curse and wyssan
Light – burning light (from net), shield of protection, flash of resolve and blinding speed

I was a bit relieved from his spells, as only the magical missile was crucial. -1 to hit sucks, but does not affect stomps and firebreath. Blinding speed and flash of resolve wouldn’t do much against me as most of my guys would hit on 4+ and strike last either way and either be steadfast or stubborn.

Deployment
I rolled highest for selecting table side and took the side with the house. I deployed only one unit at a time for once, but still finished first with +4 to go first. In the end I decided to go first. The objective was to hold the center of the board. The forest in front of my dryads is mine. There were two other forests in two corners, two hills in two other corners. Finally there was a wheat field in the middle and two walls.

Sylvan Elves Turn 1

Movement: I move the glade guard into the building and everything else up to threaten. I make the mistake of moving the forest rangers out of the forest.

Magic: 4v3 – I get curse on his dragon knights.

Shooting: Glade guard do 3 wounds to the reavers and they panic, but no one panics from them fleing through his other units. My poison scouts do a single wound to the chariot.

Highborn Turn 1
Movement: Reavers rally on the hill. His sky chariot moves away from the scouts, but everything else moves forward.

Magic: I dispel a big burning missile on the avatar, and decide to scroll the protection spell on the phoenix guard.

Shooting: sisters do a wound to a treeman. His coast guard kill 5 forest rangers, and that could have been even worse. I save all wounds against a treeman from his sky chariot.

Sylvan Elves Turn 2
Movement: I charge with all three treemen and the dryads against his phoenix guard, needing 6’s, 7’s and an 8. T2 scares away the reavers on the right before redirecting into the phoenix guard. Everyone but the avatar makes it, there was only room for 3 sucessful charges in any case. The glade riders take their chances against the silver helms.

Magic: He dispels curse on the phoenix guard and lets me get wyssan on the dryads.

Shooting: Glade guard kill a few sisters. Sentinels cannot reach sky chariot, and kills some reavers but two remain.

Combat: His BSB can only attack my dryads which is good news for my treemen. Even though the dryads end up doing more damage than the treemen due to poor rolls, I end up winning the combat with about 4 and he flees. I pursue with everything and catch them.
My glade riders kill a couple of silver helms, but lose two despite 3+ armour save. I win by banner but he holds.

Highborn Elves Turn 1
Movement: He charges his eagle to help out the silver helms. His chariot charges my dryads in the flank and the knights charge my archers in the building. The reavers on the right rally and march to block my treeman from pivoting.

Magic: He gets of a boosted burning missile with IF on a treeman and reduces him to a single wound remaining. He takes no damage in return, but the phase is over (although chariot dude is now LD10).

Shooting: Coast guard does a wound to Gregory. Sisters who are now pointing towards the treemen despite what the diagram says and the sky chariot fail to bring down the wounded treeman!

Combat: The glade riders break and are run down, they flee from the eagle.
The chariot kills some dryads with impact hits, but I challenge him to minimize damage. I manage to reform to face afterwards as well as I am steadfast and all that. He pass his leadership test despite losing by 1.
Finally his dragon knights roll a bunch of 1’s and only kill 5 glade guard, they do flee though and he reforms.

Sylvan Elves Turn 3
Movement: The wounded treeman charges the reavers blocking him, just to do something useful before he dies. The other treeman begins his journey towards the sisters. Gregory and forest rangers combo charge the knights. Everything else moves up and the glade guard rally.

Magic: I cast monstrous transformation on Gregory and turn the mage into a chimeras statline, he fails to dispel it. I also manage curse on the knights, as he has no dice left.

Shooting: Poison does two more wounds to the chariot, it has one remaining.

Combat: A knight challenges and I have to accept. I kill him for some overkill and the rangers kill 2 on their own, taking 3 casualties in return. The knights break but get away!
Treeman kills the reavers but dryads fail to do anything to the chariot guy, and he pass his due to being leadership 10 at the time.

Highborn Elves Turn 3
Movement: His two reavers charge my forest rangers in the flank. Knights rally and everything else moves away from my forces.

Magic: I dispels burning missile I believe and he gets one of the other spells of on the chariot, this gives him LD10 on his general.

Shooting: Shooting finally kills the wounded treeman, but the other treeman shrugs it off.

Combat: My forest ranger kills one of his reavers, but both my rangers die in return. Luckily I pass my panic test on Gregory!
His chariot fails his break test on 11 and run! I do not catch him. 

Sylvan Elves Turn 4
Movement: Dryads and ancient charges the coast guard with his mage. A treeman charges the sisters and Gregory charges the dragon knights.

Magic: He dispels either curse or monstrous transformation, but that gives me wyssan on the dryads.

Shooting: I think the chariot actually dies here, but I could be wrong.

Combat: He does not challenge the avatar, and the S5/T5 dryads are too much for the coast guard. They flee and I run them down. We stop the game at this point.

Conclusion
My opponent had not played in a long while and did a few mistakes. He should have probably stayed back longer to shoot and magic before committing. Also I am not sure it was worth it to put the knights into the glade guard, as it set them up for a gruesome counter charge. Finally in my opinion the book is nice, but the scroll is just flat out better.

That being said I also had luck on the right places, although I wouldn’t say any of us had more luck than the other overall. The most critical time for me was when charging the dryads and treemen. If the dryads had failed the three treemen would not have broken the phoenix guards steadfast and instead been set up for a horrible charge by his chariot guy. The second critical part was Gregory taking a panic test, a beautiful tactical maneuver by my opponent there.

I was very happy with my list, although it was lucky to be up against so much infantry. I did feel a bit light on shooting though! The backup eagle didn’t do much and may be scrapped for more shooting. I am not convinced about the forest rangers in this setup either, they may go as well. They are good as a scoring unit though, but so easy to kill. Them and the eagle could give me another unit of poison scouts to deal with warmachines and such.

I found the oaken crown to be completely worth it as the banner on dryads really helped out. Beast magic was great, wyssan on dryads are awesome, curse is always good and many of the other spells are useful as well. Monstrous transformation went well with the mage but the 5d6 magic missile would be good against warmachines.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Mollesvinet - 2016-02-05 - Bristol list tryout 4x monste

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Once again, an interesting read Thomas!

I hadn't realized Beasts of Nurgle were down to 3 wounds in 9th Age. 8th edition opponents do tend to be a bit horrified on discovering it's 4! You seem to have kept several elements from your previous list and changed others around. The Lion Chariot build seems popular, see this thread for example:

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=69709

A generic 4+ save seems more common than the conditional 3+ though. I'd also miss RBT from that HBE list but it's not huge.

When I faced Sea Guard at Warwick I completely forgot they could shoot! I agree that you seemed able to deal with your opponent's army piecemeal here, some juicy combo-charges going in. Hard to criticise that much about your play. So Scroll is still king you reckon? Partly because it can stop IF now?
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Hello all,

Been too busy to do a lot of work in here recently, but basically my list has transformed a lot over the last couple of battles I had. I started with 4 monsters and a dryad bus, then moved on to 4 monsters and a ranger bus. Finally I tried 3 monsters and a treekin square, but eventually simply got tired of the slow cumbersome blocks. Another problem with having the forest spirit lists was not being able to have a glade lord, as the treemen had to be general.

What worked out very well was the Druid Lord on the unicorn with death, very fun with high mobility. So in the end it came down to this list:

Forest Prince: Army General, Dragon, Divine Icon, Gemstone Amulet, Giant Sword, Lucky Shield - 475
High Druid: Level 4 Death, Unicorn, Grounding Rod, Talisman of Supreme Shielding - 340
Chieftain: Battle Standard Bearer, Light Armour, Longbow, Hail Shot, Pathfinder - 152
Druid: Level 1 Shadow, Dispel Scroll - 105
2 x 5 Heath Riders: Elven Cloaks, Shields, Standard Bearer - 220
2 x 10 Sylvan Archers: Black Arrows, Musician - 280
10 Sylvan Archers: Black Arrows - 130
2 x 5 Blade Dancers - 150
7 Wild Huntsmen: Sylvan Lance, Shield, Champion, Standard Bearer, Flaming Standard - 262
2 x 1 Forest Eagle - 100
10 Sylvan Sentinels: Hawthorn Points, Scout - 155
9 Sylvan Sentinels: Hawthorn Points - 131

Total 2500

While I probably won't have time to do battle reports for all six battles of the tournament, I hope to write a nice resume here.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Update:

I did not go to the tournament. My wife gave birth to our son 5 weeks early, on thursday. Luckily we were not in Bristol at the time!

My son is healthy, despite being early. This means there will be no tournament or other game posts for a long while. Thank you everyone on this site for the support of my hobby, it has been great.

May you all have good games, whether it be 8th, 9th or AoS (or any other).
Etheneus
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elf

Re: Mollesvinet - 2016-06-27 - Call to War 2016 List

Post by Etheneus »

Congratulations to you all. :thumbsup: