Mollesvinet - 2016-06-27 - Call to War 2016 List

Here is the place for all your reports of battles against those who seek to defile our sacred glades.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Mollesvinet - 2016-02-03 - 9th Cardiff GT list

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Mollesvinet wrote:Treeman needs BSB
I hadn't realised that 9th Age returned the Leadership values to how they used to be. I was happy risking the Stubborn 10 Ancient without re-roll. But on a 9 in a grinding combat...
Mollesvinet wrote:You can now reform after attacking a building!
Thanks for this, useful to know!
Mollesvinet wrote:Volleyfire means I can hide archers behind my super dryads and not take penalties for cover!
Very useful to know!

Necromancer Lord, (General) Level 4, Staff Of Vengeful Dead, Unholy Tomb, Talisman Of Greater Shielding 310pts Banshee 85pts
Barrow King, Battle Standard , War banner, Great Weapon, Living Shiled, Talisman Of Shielding 146pts

40 Zombies 120pts
40 Zombies 120pts
30 Skeletons, Shields, Full Command 180pts
30 Skeletons, Shields, Full Command 180pts
30 Skeletons, Shields, Full Command, Spears 180pts

Cadaver Wagon, Bone Pyre 90pts
3 X Varkolak, Stomp 555pts
6 Ghasts, Champion 230pts
Dark Coach 190pts

Army Total: 2386pts

The Varkolaks are Varghulfs right? Do they Fly now?
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Blimey that is a lot of Core Troops to deal with, I guess you will try to avoid combat with them and deal damage to other more vulnerable targets? Without trying to give away your tactics before the game lol, will be interested to see if there is any other ways of dealing with so many enemy's. But don't mind waiting for the post battle report :D

The Army list is great, I'm just reading it again and trying to piece together what is what, very similar to the 8th edition. 9th Age seems to be what 8th could have been. Everything just seems to gel together. Well on paper it looks to...
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Results here:

http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic ... 3&t=132995

Top WE sir, well played!

Interesting that the book scored exactly average!
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Hi Phil,

yes I managed to claw my way to my first trophy! I was completely surprised when they announced my name, as there were two wood elf players ahead of me at the time.

It was a great tournament, without a doubt the best venue I have ever been to. Sadly I am very busy at work (again) but I should be able to post some battle reports later this week. It probably won't be with diagrams and everything, too time consuming I am afraid.

My list worked very well indeed. After the tournament there were only a few changes I would do to it, should I play it again.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Looking forward to it.
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Congrats on the success Mollesvinet, lookin forward to your update.

I wonder what the if any changes wil be made to the Army book in the next update?
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Mollesvinet - 2016-02-24 - 9th Cardiff GT day 1 reports

Post by Mollesvinet »

Hello everyone,

I won't have time to do diagrams of all the battles but instead I will go through each battle and point out the major events. I will also upload the lists for everyone to see. My name is Thomas, in case you want to look at my list as well.

Game 1 - Vampire counts - Dougal Cameron

Now this guy told me he was mainly a painter and that this was his first tournament game. He decided to let me choose the table side, but then also let me have the first drop. I wanted my flaming wild riders opposite his ghasts, so I did not drop everything at this point. He proceeds to deploy his whole army, putting his ghasts in front of his character bunker. And I respond by putting my wild riders opposite them. I decide to put my fighting lord with the sisters, as I found that it was often a good idea to split up my hard hitters. BSB goes with heath riders to keep treeman company. See picture:

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g46 ... me%201.jpg

So he gets first turn and moves everything up cautiously. Magic uneventful. During my turn I ponder whether to attempt the long charge needing 10 with wild riders on the ghasts, as an overrun would take me into his characters. I decide to wait for 1 turn but the wild riders fail their LD10 restrain, obviously not agreeing with their general. As they are charging, I decide to charge the lord into the vargheist as that would be the only realistic charge against me if the wild riders fail the charge. As it goes, the wild riders suceed their charge but my lord fails to get an 8. The wild riders take out all ghasts losing only 1 rider and overruns into the character bunker killing his characters and all skeletons over some turns of combat.

From here, my lord takes out a vargheist and a unit of skeletons. The casket and black coach gets shot and magicked off with swarm of insects. Treeman kills two other vargeists with shooting and combat, and proceeds to kill a unit of skeletons. Finally dryads destroy both units of zombies, with the help of flank charge from heath riders and BSB.

Good first game to me, but winning 3100VP with objective to 0VP lost would give me an evil second game!

Game 2 - Daemons of Chaos - Chris Legg (best in race)

He deployed all his core with characters on one flank, with furies behind the horrors (first half of the game I thought those furies were slashers, silly me). He put his flamers in the middle and his slashers on the other flank. I forgot the order of deployment, but I basically decided to ignore the flank with slashers and go for the core with all my combat units. See picture:

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g46 ... me%202.jpg

So I go full throttle for his core, always aiming at the big win. I cast curse on a unit of horrors closest to my bsb bunker and by doing so I move the treeman into range with strangling roots. I shot about 1/3 of his flamers off the table. In his turn he moves the horrors a bit backwards but kills all of my wild riders with remaining flamers. Looking at the picture, I should have placed the riders in the forest! Slashers go forwards. Now one unit of slashers hits my wild riders, but they couldn't really land behind me so I thought that was a bit iffy. He basically moved into the unit and then backed up a bit. Anyway I let it go.

Next turn I decide to go for the long charge with the treeman, as even if he fails I can move him a bit extra with the curse. Luckily I make the charge, needed 9. Also dryads charge the building to kill some flamers, and since you can reform after charging a building I could point towards the horrors afterwards. Lord moves into charge range of horrors but BSB unit has to run away as they were losing numbers. He challenges with his champion against treeman, I beat the crap out of him and he reforms with ranks.

In his turn, the other horrors reform and nearly shot my lord off the table! I was lucky to save many armour saves against strength 5 firebolts. The combat with treeman goes sour, he does not challenge but the treeman only hits twice and wounding with only one of those. He then only does 2 stomps, again wounding only 1. I proceed to fail my LD10 stubborn test and get run down...

I follow up with a flank charge with my dryads on the horrors, but can't charge my lord in because of stand and shoot (firebolts is quick to fire obviously!). My lord runs for the hills instead. I try to shoot as many flamers and slashers as I can, almost killing a unit of slashers. Dryads kills the unit of horrors in his next turn, and I reform to have the best shot at charging his other unit of horrors. I thought I needed 5 to charge them and roll 5, but because of retracting the skirmish unit I actually need a 6 and the dryads doesn't make it. I also charge my unit of sisters and bsb into a unit of slashers, I do 7 wounds I think but he saves 5 on daemonic ward saves...

From here on, my dryads gets fed furies and the rest of my troops die. I lose 19-1 but I felt that I really had the game if it wasn't for the treeman failing his LD10.

Game 3 - Dread Elves - Mike Sylvester (best in race)

I deploy my whole army to go first, this is re-occuring as my army is so fast that it usually doesn't matter if the units aren't in the perfect position. However, I might start considering going second as it really helps with objectives! Picture:

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g46 ... me%203.jpg

Basically all my shooting goes into the dragon, taking it off after it kills just 10 glade guard (they nearly killed it in close combat!). Treeman fails a charge against dragon, should probably just have gotten him closer to corsairs ASAP instead of taking the chance. I charge my wild riders and lord plus the dryads into the corsairs, but didn't realise the power of their stand and shoot. I take 40 shots into the wild riders at strength 4 due to wildform which costs me all the wild riders. The dryads get into the flank though. Sadly he has a character with magical paired weapons, giving him same inititative as me. This challenge goes on for a long time, but eventually we kill each other on the same round. He was protected by 1+ rerollable, but I think my opponent forgot that I had armour piercing and took 4's as saved. I was very tired at this point though and couldn't really keep track of it. Eventually my dryads gets run down, but the treeman can now get into the corsairs (even with flaming I had to do it, as they can shoot and he had amber spear). The treeman punish the unit and they flee, but I fail to run them down.

On the other flank my sisters and BSB try to shoot down the warlocks. Once at half strength, I decide to just park my unit in front of his to get more shots in. However, I didn't realize he had a character in there so I break in combat and get run down. Silly really, a lot of points lost for no reason! During the last turn he shoots some repeater bolts at my heath riders and they panic, this means that I don't get my special objective! Also they run straight through my scouts that also panic off the board.

A very good game, and this guy won my best sports award. 14-6 loss.
Attachments
CGT Open Lists Draft 2016.pdf
Lists
(362.12 KiB) Downloaded 153 times
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Interesting times!

What would you say is the main reason you need to split up your hardest-hitting stuff Thomas? First game sounds brutal, one of those the Wild Riders win on their own, we've all had them! Second game sounds like the Treeman breaking swung it decisively. Is Daemon shooting back to 7th edition levels now? Similarly nasty in game three, would you say shooting is especially strong in 9th Age overall? Great start with killing the Dragon but the game just seemed to gradually slip away.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Phil Rossiter wrote:Interesting times!

What would you say is the main reason you need to split up your hardest-hitting stuff Thomas? First game sounds brutal, one of those the Wild Riders win on their own, we've all had them! Second game sounds like the Treeman breaking swung it decisively. Is Daemon shooting back to 7th edition levels now? Similarly nasty in game three, would you say shooting is especially strong in 9th Age overall? Great start with killing the Dragon but the game just seemed to gradually slip away.
Main reason to split up the hard hitters is if they can take on different things on their own. I would keep them together against deathstars and the like, but with multiple medium units or MSU they are sometimes better off dealing with different targets.

I don't know how daemon shooting was in 7th edition, but both flamers and horrors does decent damage. I mean, if you are running a change list and have 40 horrors you may as well give them shooting attacks right? Treeman really needs that BSB, but the amount of shooting and magic kept me away. I have a remedy coming up for that, but more on that later after I finish the last reports.

Killing the dragon was fairly easy, and I think ridden monsters are quite weak in general now. Sure you get more wounds, but you only have a 3+ armour save to protect your 500 or 600 point character. Maybe a ridden phoenix with wards? Only my daemon opponent had shooting, but most of the lizardman lists had loads of it. I think it is army dependent whether the shooting is good, but also whether it has viable targets. No cannons to be spotted though, but perhaps people will realize they are still useful when monsters are everywhere (as they were). Biggest mistake in the third game was sacrificing my sisters and BSB for no reason whatsoever. Urgh.

Will try to write up the last two games tomorrow. Cheers!
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Mollesvinet - 2016-02-03 - 9th Cardiff GT game 4

Post by Mollesvinet »

Game 4 - Warriors of Chaos - Adam Harper

Pretty standard warrior list with a maxed out daemon prince, big chosen unit and trolls and chariots for core. He also had an ancient chimera and a bloodbeast. His chosen had the tripple march banner, so I knew I had to go first if at all possible! This means that I again dropped my entire army, knowing that my wild riders probably wouldn't be able to go to his trolls. Because of this, I put my lord on the other flank. Picture:

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g46 ... me%204.jpg

I go first and move up the flank to threaten. I get curse on his warriors and he uses his scroll to dispell boosted bolts on his DP. I ponder whether to shoot his chimere or DP, but decide on the DP as he is also the mage. All my shooting does 1 wound to him.

In his turn 1 he moves up cautiously, now wanting to lose 1/3 of his chosen. By this time I charge my lord into his trolls (redirecting after his bloodbeast flees), out of charge arc of anything else. My wild riders charge one of his chariots on the other flank, with an overrun into the other one. I move everything away from his DP and chimera, except for my treeman avatar whom I move forwards as bait. I know at this point that I probably have to flee at least one charge from the chimera, as everything couldn't get far enough away. I get boosted bolts on his DP but deals no wounds. All my shooting does zero wounds as well. My Lord kills a troll with no damage in return, but they stay.

In his turn he takes the bait and charges the DP into the treeman. He then makes a mistake to charge the chimera as well! I forgot to stand and shoot here, which actually costs me later. His chosen can just about see 1mm of my wild riders base, so they manage a charge as well but at least only the flank of them can get in and his level 1 is on that flank. His level 1 casts miasma on three dice, miscasts and does a dimensional cascade. It is only S5, so doesn't kill too many models but it does deal a wound to the mage. My wild riders destroy the chariot and the mage and hold. My treeman challenges and tries crush attack but fails to hit, I decide to go for normal attacks from here on. His DP does a single wound and annoyingly gets a wound back from soul feeder. My lord kills another troll, and this time they are out of BSB and flee! They are run down.

I set up the lord so that he can charge the bloodbeast if it rallies or charge the chosen if it flees. I also charge my dryads into the flank of the chimera, thinking they should be able to take it off and free up the treeman earlier. I get wildform on the treeman. The treeman deals a wound or two to the DP, taking one or two in return. The chimera takes like 13 wounds from the dryads, saves 2 on armour save and then proceeds to save 9 out of 11 regen saves! It kicks a lot of ass on the dryads, but they stay for now. Wild riders somehow survive and hold even (killing champion in challenge I think or maybe this was the round before)!

His bloodbeast continues to run, but doesn't quite run off the board. My wild riders die and he reforms to face my lord. Chimera takes another wound, but kills most of the dryads and they run. DP left on one wound.

I charge the chosen with my lord and they hold. The DP is destroyed and treeman is down to 2 wounds or so. The lord destroys his BSB in a challenge and the chosen run! My opponent is about to give up here but I tell him to see what happens, and the chosen get away!

His chosen rally. The chimera deals a wound to the treeman and saves several regen saves to stay alive on one wound as well.

I charge the chosen with the lord again. I also charge the chimera with 10 glade guard and 5 scouts, hoping that I can sneak in a wound before it gets to attack the treeman. I cast curse on the chosen that he fails to dispell, and then wildform on the treeman. Elves all fail to wound the chimera. Another mistake in my opinion, he focuses his attacks on the elves and kill a bunch of them. The treeman does two wounds to the chimera, but he saves both on regen! Scouts run for the hills. So the chosen are hitting on 5's, but they still manage to hit with 11 out of 15 attacks or so. Wounding on 5's they do 4 wounds. I fail all four 4+ armour save and fail 2 3+ wards leaving my lord on a single wound!! I do not break from combat, but lose my frenzy.

In his turn, the chimera directs all attacks on the remaining glade guard which was a mistake as he could have thunderstomped them. Again his chimera passes all its regen saves!!! My lord survives but his chosen don't break. At this point I think my treeman has healed a single wound from treesinging.

I charge my sisters of thorn into the chimera, desperate to save my treeman. I also move up heath riders to congest the scenario marker, as his chosen are closest to it at the moment. I manage to cast curse on the chosen and wildform on my general in an attempt to keep him alive. The sisters fail to wound the chimera, but the treeman finally kills him. Despite all the spells, the chosen kill my general.

His chosen attacks my heath riders, I flee to make sure his chosen gets away from the marker. He catches me, but at least he doesn't get the objective.

All in all I felt it was a good game, although my opponent did do several mistakes. I did feel very unlucky with my general though, considering the odds was in his favor but oh well. Also his chimera holding up my treeman for ages, had it died my treeman could have helped kill the chosen and get the bigger win. In any case, 15-5 to me.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Mollesvinet - 2016-02-03 - 9th Cardiff GT game 4

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Mollesvinet wrote:I don't know how daemon shooting was in 7th edition
Can you picture Trueflight Flamers, Thomas?

:)
Mollesvinet wrote:I have a remedy coming up for that
Interesting.
Mollesvinet wrote:Maybe a ridden phoenix with wards?
Phoenix-spam has proved popular. See this thread for example:

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=69683

As for the game, you drew the scroll early and just seemed to do the match-ups and maneouvering slightly better. What a grind it sounded. Especially when he made all those Regens! Oh well, at least you got a decent win. Games two and three were against very good players.

Makes me very keen to play! I have an 8th edition tournament in two weeks:

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic. ... 6&start=90

Hey, I see you're down for Colchester in April?
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Mollesvinet - 2016-02-03 - 9th Cardiff GT game 5

Post by Mollesvinet »

Game 5 - Warriors of Chaos - Nick Davies

Deployment:

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g46 ... me%205.jpg

I go first and manage to kill half of his knights with waywatchers. He made a mistake to vanguard his hellstriders, and I shoot all of them. I also panic both of his dog units to get them out of the way. My waywatchers will hunt his knights for the rest of the game, killing all but one (passing a 4+ save on last turn).

Due to the amazing rerolls of charge rolls, he manages to charge a chariot into my wild riders as I have moved them just a few inches to far ahead. I lose 3-4 wild riders, but they kill the chariot in return and get a reform towards his advancing bloodbeast. Everything else moves forward and interstingly he puts his dragon ogres in front of his warriors.

I declare a charge with my treeman into his dragon ogres, with a nice overrun into his warriors which he accepts. I then get greedy and charge the lord in as well, he decides to flee the ogres. Both treeman and lord redirects into warriors but only lord makes it as treeman needs 10. Possibly should have only redirected with treeman. I move the BSB to help out the general and treeman. My wild riders attack the bloodbeast and makes it run, but fail to catch it. Only one wild riders is alive at this point.

In his turn he challenges with his champion, forgetting that his BSB has hatred because of bloodbeast. I destroy the champion but still lose by 5, luckily I pass my break test! So much for frenzy though. The treeman takes a charge from a chariot and the dragon ogre rare choice. I decide to go for the chariot to reduce the number of attacks, but I probably should have focused on the ogre as it has much higher strength making it more dangerous. His ogres rally, but are stuck behind warriors! Also, a spawn kills the last wild rider.

Here we have a few rounds with grind between his BSB and my Lord, both failing spectacularly at hurting each other. There is also a grind between treeman, chariot and ogre. Eventually my lord manages to kill his BSB in my turn, and I rejoice as his level 4 is next. Sadly his mage manages choir on my lord in his turn before combat, and the lord perishes.

Following that, my dryads charge in to try and kill the mage before he can cast choir on my treeman as well. Shooting takes out most of his remaining army that isn't in combat, except for the rallied dragon ogres that struggle to get back in the fight. My dryads fail to kill the sorcerer, takes a bunch of damage and flee. He decides to pursue but rolls lower than me. He then rerolls the pursue as per slaanesh rules, destroy the dryads but gets into combat with my treeman instead! As that battle had not been resolved, I can challenge his mage with the treeman and destroy him!

I struggle to heal the treeman and he gets a bit lucky with his warriors, and my treeman goes down. At this point we are running out of time and start playing at turbo. His warriors go for one objective marker on left flank and his ogre rare choice runs for the hills. Dragon ogres go for the other objective marker near right flank. I manage to kill the ogre rare choice with a longshot arrow and to congest both scenario markers. One with heath riders and one with the BSB joining a unit of archers.

All in all it was a 12-8 victory to me. It was a very enjoyable game, both of us did some mistakes but had fun all the same. I ended up at 27th place with 54 points and the trophy for best sylvan elf player!
Last edited by Mollesvinet on 01 Mar 2016, 23:11, edited 1 time in total.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Mollesvinet - 2016-02-03 - 9th Cardiff GT list review

Post by Mollesvinet »

So as Phil pointed out, I am going to another 9th tournament in the beginning of April. Because of this, I thought it would be a good idea to go through my list and consider how well each unit performed.

Lords
Two combat lords. This actually worked out really well, as a high level mage mainly brings spell selection but not so much spell power. Having only a level 1 beast, bound spell and mage covent meant that I knew exactly which spells I would get each turn.

Stag Lord
This guy was really cool and was able to reliably kill many things without taking damage. Obviously his main weakness is magical attacks, except for flaming. His excellent movement with swiftstride was very useful as well. Leadership 10 general is always nice.

Solid choice as well. Strength 7 is really good against armour. I think the challenge sprite is worth it, as it can really save the treeman against things like daemon princes and such. The treesinging was also well worth it, a couple of wounds healed over the game can go a long way. This guy wrecked face against infantry, but really needed BSB against ranks after all.

Heroes

Dryad Matriarch
This lady did really well in my opinion. She is only 85 points, not much more than an eagle. She gives access to wildform which is always a brilliant spell and helps with channeling. Most of all though, she ensures that the dryads becomes a force to be reckoned with! Dryads with hatred, strength 6 and toughness 5 are really powerful indeed.

Battle standard bearer on horseback
This guy was a bit hit and miss. Having a BSB was undeniably important, as he saved both the stag lord and the treeman on several occasions. Although he had a decent armour save he was surely too weak to be in combat. The bow was okay, 2d6 poison per turn is useful. The main problem was that he couldn't march and shoot and that he slowed the sisters of thorn down as he isn't fast cavalry. This made the unit feel very clumsy and resulted in the sisters never being able to use their javalins. Against the daemons, he was simply too weak to follow my treeman which meant my treeman ran away and cost me the game.

Core

Heath Riders
Very good at taking objectives. Keeping the bows did not do much difference, and I think they may be better of with 3+ armour saves and being able to march and engage weaker targets.

Sylvan Archers
They did quite a lot of damage, all things taken into consideration. Musicians were good to have, even though they were only used a couple of times during the tournament. Their magical arrows were nice despite the price tag, mainly for AP and no penalty for movement.

Dryads
These guys are back to their glorious times. Skirmish is a must in my opinion, as the dryads are quite selective about what they want to fight. It just makes them so much more flexible AND gives them stubborn in woods. I go wide anyway to get more attacks in due to hatred and increased strength, so ranks wouldn't help much anyway. Very powerful unit that took many by surprise.

Special

Wild Huntsmen
Superb unit. I did not really miss either vanguard or fast cavalry, especially as they would lose it anyway if a character joined plus this meant they could take objectives. The 3+ armour save was very powerful, and saved quite a lot of wounds. I still rate the flaming banner on these guys, as trolls or in this case ghasts are easily obliterated!

Sentinels
Very nice unit, poison AND armour piercing is a good combination. I prefer scout on these guys, especially when taking just a single unit. I wouldn't mind having 3 small units of these in each game, even without scouting. They can easily be used to redirect in this way. A bit of a blunder to give them a banner as they can't take objectives, but in a shooting army my flaming banner would go here every time.

Rare

Briar Maidens
Still a solid unit, although with a bit more risky now that only the champion is the mage. While I was okay for most of the games, I can easily see a bolt thrower taking out the champion and thus the magic being lost. Very good spells, only downside being that you can't get a dispell scroll. The unit was not used to its full potential because of the BSB slowing them down.

Waywatchers
Very cool ability of choosing between 4 types of arrows. All the arrow types were useful at times, but I mainly used AP3 and trueshot arrows. They are very expensive though, and strength 3 means that a lot of shots are wasted. If they didn't have scout I would really hesistate to take them. Probably the unit I had the most doubt about, although they did great against the chaos knights.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Mollesvinet - 2016-02-03 - 9th Colchester Training

Post by Mollesvinet »

Changes to test:

I want to try having a high level mage, to see the influence it has on the game. Although tempted to kick out the stag lord, I do feel that he is more unique that the avatar of nature. So what I decided to do was simply to demote the avatar of nature to a rare choice treeman, as he will hold up many things almost as well. Considering that it was mainly magic weapons that scared my stag lord, I decided to try out high magic in order to cripple enemy characters with unforging. The low cost of spells in general is also helpful, considering the reduced bonuses to cast. As this girl is a lot of points, I will start out with the earthing rod for those dimensional cascades. I decided to give her the moonstone and put her in a unit of sentinels. This will make her quite mobile. This combo also makes room for the magical bow which can be used even when marching. Although she only has BS4, she only really need to hit on 6's.

Sisters have been in scraped in order to get in a level 1 mage on alchemy. The waywatchers was so so at dealing with armour, so hopefuly some molten metal will do better. This choice goes well with arcane unforging, as many single model characters are protected by 2++ against fire item which can be destroyed by my main mage. My plan is to run her on a horse in a unit of heath riders with 3+ armour save. Although the attribute will be useless, this means that I won't feel bad for marching around.

The BSB has been redone, I will try to put him on an eagle following some discussions with my friends on the way home from the tournament. I will give him armour of destiny so he has 2+ armour, 4++ ward, T4 and 3 wounds. The plan is to hide him behind the treeman, as monsters obscure line of sight! When the treeman attacks, the eagle bsb can go behind the enemy unit for a tasty rear charge next turn. He will use a lance for S6 on charges. Tempted to go for great weapon, but I am afraid to lose that armour save in close combat.

Finally, as I have alchemy magic I will try without the waywatchers. Instead I have a bigger unit of sentinels to house my wizard. Poison is simply very good against all the monsters roaming about, especially with armour piercing on top of it.

I will have a game in on thursday with this list against chaos warriors. Thanks for reading!
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Mollesvinet - 2016-02-03 - 9th Cardiff GT game 5 and rec

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Thomas. Your shooting seemed quite effective in that last game. The Lord died but at least he achieved something. It did seem to go a bit crazy at the end! Knowing you can default to good spells is definitely a strength of a well-constructed hero-level magic phase. But Lord casters give you better options to tailor in-game where required. Good to see the Core archers working well!

Some very interesting plans! The normal Treeman looks a bit less reliable and powerful than the Avatar but still useful. Unforging can be very powerful but of course there is the random factor. I can understand Earthing Rod because you'll be doing a fair bit of four-dicing with this Lore. Swordmaster of Hoeth is a huge fan of this item, though I guess scroll is the obvious alternative. I tried a lvl 1 Metal alongside High Magic in 8th and found several times he didn't achieve much. I guess it depends how much armour you expect to run into. Eagle BSB well worth a try I think and I agree with Lance, he doesn't want grinding combats anyway. I worry slightly about you losing flexibility with the Waywatchers but I guess if you don't try playing without them you won't know.

Hope Thursday goes well!
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Mollesvinet - 2016-03-03 - Colchester practice vs warriors

Post by Mollesvinet »

So based on the observations from the tournament I created a prototype for my new list. The two combat lords were nice, but I wanted to try out a mage lord this time around. The list ended up as follows:

Sylvan Elves (2500pts)

Lords (658pts)

Forest Prince (313pts)
Divine Icon (15pts), Dragonscale Helm (10pts), Innate Defence (6+) (8pts), Light Armour, Ogre Sword (40pts), SE - Ancient Brooch (35pts), Shield (5pts)
Forest Walker, Innate Defence (6+), Lightning Reflexes
Great Elk (50pts)
Wild Hunter (20pts)

High Druid (345pts)
Grounding Rod (25pts), Level 4 Wizard Master (35pts), Path of White Magic, SE - Bow of Wyscan (35pts), SE - Mist Walker’s Mirror (35pts), Tree Singing (25pts)
Forest Walker, Lightning Reflexes, Tree Singing

Heroes (440pts)

Chieftain (235pts)
Armour of Destiny (50pts), Battle Standard Bearer (25pts), Innate Defence (6+) (5pts), Lance (10pts), Shield (3pts)
Forest Walker, Innate Defence (6+), Lightning Reflexes
Forest Eagle (65pts)
Armour Piercing (1) (5pts)
Longbow (7pts)
Starlight Shaft (3pts)

Druid (120pts)
Dispel Scroll (35pts), Level 1 Wizard Apprentice, Path of Alchemy
Forest Walker, Lightning Reflexes
Elven Horse (15pts)

Dryad Matriarch (85pts)
Entwined Roots (5pts), Level 1 Wizard Apprentice, Path of Wilderness
Entwined Roots, Forest Walker, Hatred, Otherworldly

Core (631pts)

Dryads (217pts)
Champion (10pts), 13x Dryad (143pts), Skirmishers (10pts)
Forest Walker, Hatred (If joined by Matriarch), Otherworldly, Skirmishers, Entwined Roots Upgrade (52pts)

8x Heath Riders (154pts)
Mount's Protection (5+), Standard Bearer (10pts), Forest Walker (Riders only), Lightning (Riders only), Mounts Protection (5+) 8x Shield

10x Sylvan Archers (130pts)
Musician (10pts), 10x Black Arrows (30pts)

10x Sylvan Archers (130pts)
Musician (10pts) , Forest Walker, Lightning Reflexes , 10x Black Arrows (30pts)

Special (528pts)

11x Sylvan Sentinels (233pts)
Champion (10pts), Musician (10pts) , Forest Walker, Lightning Reflexes, Skirmishers , Scout (22pts), Standard Bearer (15pts), Gleaming Icon (5pts)
11x Additional Hand Weapon (11pts), 11x Hawthorn Points (44pts)

7x Wild Huntsmen (295pts)
Champion (10pts), Musician (10pts), Standard Bearer (30pts), Flaming Standard (20pts) , 7x Mount's Protection (5+) (14pts), 7x Shields (21pts)

Rare (245pts)

Treefather (245pts)
treesinging

His list was something along the lines of:

Chaos Lord on foot - 4+ regen, 2++ fire, 1+ or 2+ armour save, +2 strength sword, true chaos
BSB - 1+ rerollable armour save, +1S sword, true chaos
Sorcerer - level 2 metal, dispell scroll
Sorcerer - level 2 metal, one use +1 dice to dispell roll
2x 5 dogs
20 chaos warriors with halberds (lord in here), +1M banner, Lust
20 chosen with halberds (bsb in here), tripple march banner, wrath
Mutalith
Doom cannon
super tough chariot
2x ambushing spawns with lust
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Mollesvinet - 2016-03-03 - Colchester practice vs warriors

Post by Mollesvinet »

We rolled the scenario where you have to hold the middle.

Spellwise I went with all basic spells and my high mage had in addition unforging, blessing of amhar and guiding hand. He had creeping corrosion and silver spike.

I got to choose table side, see picture (mage and sentinel is behind cardboard hill). He gave me first deployment, and I still struggle to do this phase well. In essence I put down most of my things, except 4 units. He then deployed everything and got first turn. I believe at this point that in deployment you should either put down only a single unit at a time to look what your opponent does, or put down everything to take first time.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g46 ... enshot.png

His first turn he moves everything forward, except his mages that hide behind the hill and only cast spells through the mutalisk. He rolls molten metal against my treeman with 3 dice but rolls really high, so I let him have it and hope for a low number of hits. He gets 4 hits, all 4 wound and I pass a single ward save. I dispell the rest. His cannon kills my poor treeman before he even gets to move.

In my turn I move up the wild riders to get a charge on whatever they like next turn. Dryads defend the forest and my mages move into range of BSB for high mage and the chariot for the alchemy one. I fail to cast molten metal and unforging on his lord takes the dispell scroll. He dispells hand on my wild riders. I do one wound with poison on the chariot.

In his second turn he nudges forward with most of the units. The chariot, dogs and a spawn boxes in my heath riders. His dogs go into my sentinels, but due to additional handweapon and stubborn in forest I am not so concerned. Second spawn goes for my archers on left flank. I dispell all his spells with the help of the dispel scroll. His cannon shoots at my sentinel mage bunker, kills a couple but I pass my leadership test. I did not need the gleaming standard, but I feel this is the right item to have on them. In my opinion he would have been better of trying to kill some wild riders. I kill some dogs, but he doesn't break.

My second turn sees me charge the wild riders and elk in the front of his chosen, and the BSB gets to charge them in the flank. Heath riders charge the dogs hoping for the chariot to fail its panic test. My dryads stay in the forest, inviting the warriors to attack and lose their steadfast. The mage and sentinels teleport to the forest near the big combat. I fail to cast wyssan on the wild riders, unforging is dispelled and I get through hand on wild riders. Sadly their stats are only increased by 1 and I forgot about the protection counter. In combat I kill all but 4 chosen and the BSB, in return he kills all of my wild riders. He breaks but both elk lord and BSB fails to catch them despite swiftstride! Heath riders kill dogs, but the chariot does not panic.

Third turn he charges everything into my heath riders and the other spawn reaches my archers due to mark of lust, the best mark for spawns in my opinion. The BSB and chosen rally, although we forgot about their lower LD due to casualties. His cannon decides to shoot my archers in the building and kills a few, but they don't flee. I think he should have gone for my lord as I would have no save, but he was afraid to hit his remaining chosen. My heath riders are destroyed, but he only kills a few archers with his spawn and I reform to face.

My third I charge the lord into the chosen and BSB, but decide to charge the BSB into his mage who flee and then redirect into the cannon to make it stop shooting. My mage nudges around after killing dogs to stay out of charge arcs. Can't remember what happened in magic. My lord slays his BSB and the chosen run again, but they get away as my lord only overruns 3 inches! My bsb does a wound or two to the cannon with his lance and takes a wound in return. Forgot the cannon is unbreakable, uh oh. My archers destroy his spawn before it can attack.

In his turn not much movement happens. He casts molten metal on my lord which i let go and sneaks a wound through the ward. I dispell the spike. His cannon does another wound to my BSB and with only S4 I do nothing back. He did not reform though, so I still win combat.

My fourth the general charges into the cannon to help the BSB. I try to cast increased ward save on my BSB, can't remember if it goes through or not. I also miscast wyssan on my dryads, as his warriors are very close to them. In hindsight I should have charged the dryads into his warriors and lord, given that I could kill most of the unit especially with wyssan or some other buff. Instead I let him have the objective. The lord does some damage to the cannon, but my BSB bites the dust failing his saves.

His fifth nothing much happens, except the cannon is destroyed. I decide to go after the mage and some marauders on the back, as my lord is very scared of his lord. From here the game is all about how many points I can clean up with magic missiles and shooting. His mutalisk is very hard to kill with shooting due to blurry, plus I rolled very poorly for poison.

In the end he gets a slight win due to objective. Looking back I really underestimated the dryads. I should have let the elk lord go for the warriors earlier and do a dual charge or something. The BSB did good, but I do wonder whether it is worth it to go for the two handed weapon or not. Heath riders lacked musician which cost them dearly! The list was working quite well, the teleporting mage is very mobile indeed. With the bow of wyscan she was hitting on 6's at most times, which is just what she needs. The list is a quite character heavy though, and the treeman was a bit unlucky I suppose.

Looking forward I will try to incorporate the sneak peek rule changes into the list, to be better prepared for the release. So things that influence my list is:

No more S5 dryads. Because of this, I will try to cut out the matriarch and go with two small units of skirmishing dryads. It will reduce the characters points and give me more units to work with. It will however cost me one of my main combat units as they will become more like support units.

The talisman will be changed out, so no more 3++ against non-magical attacks. I still love the elk lord, so I have revised a new build for him. He will go down to 3+ save, but instead gain 4++ solid ward save and keep 2++. Can't afford the +2 strength sword either, so will try out the beastbane halberd! My BSB will have to take the 4++ talisman, and thus also go to 3+ armour save. Again I wonder whether to give him two handed weapon, as his AS will go from 3+ to 4+... The 4++ ward saves works well with the blessing spell so that I can give my characters a solid 3++ ward save!

Treesinging doesn't heal anymore. Because of this and what happened to the treeman this game, I will try to exchange the treeman to another unit of wild riders and also drop treesinging on the mage. I did use treesinging when she was attacked in the forest, but it is quite a lot of points.

With these changes, I also managed to squeeze in a unit of 5 scouting poison sentinels and an eagle (weapon of mass distraction). Will have a game on Thursday, so lets see what happens!
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Mollesvinet - 2016-03-03 - Colchester practice vs warrio

Post by Phil Rossiter »

I like the list you ran Thomas but obviously you have little choice over some most recent changes.

The 3+ Ward vs non-magical was interesting, especially as it helps you vs cannons and such. Lvl4 good, like the Bow! Moonstone is a great item. Obviously good to get the scroll in, in general strong magic with eight spells. The Heath Riders were interesting. Your opponent has similar movement to Ogres I think, sort of medium-level. His magic phase is defensive but functional.

So the game started unluckily with losing the Treeman, same issues as ever for this guy I suppose. Did you consider scrolling Molten Metal? Agree about Gleaming Pennant, right choice on the bunker because your BSB is on the eagle. What a bloodbath with the Wild Riders! How did he get away twice! Interesting that you're getting in multiple charges with the Stag Lord, it really emphasises his strengths. So your opponent's target selection with his Hellcannon was questionable. Looks like BSB into him was too ambitious, maybe you needed the Lord in immediately for him to survive.

Shame about the Dryads in the new book but your two units should still be useful. High(born) Elf players on Ulthuan are finding the 3+ Ward vs Magical Attacks item situational, like the non-magical SE equivalent. Consensus seems to be a strong armour save is necessary with it (Cav Prince can have 1+ AS with one RR, which is just about enough). Will anyone take Treesinging now? Interesting that you're modifying your army now rather than changing it completely Thomas. Looking forward to seeing your new list!

Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Mollesvinet - 2016-03-12 - Colchester DRAGON vs Ogres

Post by Mollesvinet »

Introduction

Going with the same army twice does not sit well with me, so I decided to change it all around after all. I was looking for a way to get in a mobile but safe mage, but with the new edition out the moonstone is now one use only so not as powerful as before. I was looking at the cost of an eagle when I spotted another flying beast for the mage to mount, the MIGHTY GREEN DRAGON (Gregory). I went with white magic for healing the dragon, strength buff and ward save spell. And of course item destruction against the enemy. My 2500pt list turned out as follows, considering the new edition:

High Druid – level 4 white, green dragon, earthing rod, divine icon
BSB – Eagle, armour of destiny, elven cloak, lance, shield
Druid – Level 1 alchemy, horse, dispel scroll
2x8 dryads with champions
2x10 sylvan archers with black arrows and musicians for that special groove
8 heath riders with 3+ armour save and banner
7 wild riders – shields, champ, banner of speed, additional hand weapons
7 wild riders – shields, champ, banner of flame, sylvan lances
10 forest rangers – banner, champ
10 forest rangers – banner, champ
10 sylvan sentinels with hawkthorne and scout
5 waywatchers

My opponent fielded the following:

Ogre boss – two handed weapon of d3 wounds, 4+ armour, 4++ regen, 2++ versus fire and reroll successful wounds against him!
BSB ogre – holy sword
Ogre mage 1 – level 2 maw, dispel scroll
Ogre mage 2 – level 2 maw, book of +1 to cast/dispel
8 iron guts with great weapons and full command
50 gnoblars with bows (damned things)
4 mournefang
3 mournefang
1 Manfred the Rock Auroch
3 single dogs (tigers but modelled as dogs)

For spells we had:
White magic: unforging, rising phoenix, blessing and magical move (should have switched move to missile)
Alchemy: molten metal
Maw1: toughness spell and panic hex
Maw2: toughness spell and super magic missile (d6 S5 AP6 movement reducing)

Scenario was breakthrough and I rolled highest for table side, letting him choose so I can go first. On to deployment:

Deployment

Two hills, three forests, a building, a river, a wall and the yellow looking rocks are a wheat field.

My biggest mistake in deployment was the dragon, which should have been more central to reach more targets. My opponent decided to load up on one flank, to keep some of my rangers and dryads out of the game. Sentinels aim at Manfred and waywatchers at the mournfang. First turn goes to the sylvan elves.

Sylvan Elves Turn 1

Movement: I move up the wild riders to threaten, but make sure he needs 11 or even 12 to catch me. Dragon is too far away to cast item destruction on his characters, also it should have gone on the other side of the waywatchers to threaten more of his units.

Magic: 7v5 I think. I cast a big molten metal on the 3 mournfang but it is dispelled with dice. The last two dice go to movement on the rightmost rangers, to get them into the game.

Shooting: sentinels and SA1 puts 4 wounds on Manfred. Waywatchers do nothing and SA2 fails to kill the nearest dogs, should have aimed waywatchers at it as well!

Ogre Khans Turn 1

Movement: His guys storm up, the wounded dog blocks my sylvan lance wild riders.

Magic: He casts toughness twice on his 4 mournfang (wrong on diagram) to protect them from the dryads attacks. I dispel the first with dice and second with scroll. He also manages the panic spell on WR1 which also makes his units hate me.

Sylvan Elves Turn 2

Movement: WR1 charges the mournfang, I am hoping to get the strength spell on them. Rangers charge the dog, but the wild riders fail restrain and charge as well. The dragon almost had a charge on the dog to terror it away, but we decided it was in flank so it was blocked. Left dryads redirect his mournfang and everything else scoots around to get into the right position.

Magic: He dispels that strength spell with dice and unforging with scroll.

Shooting: I take out Manfred with poison and do a wound or two to iron guts. SA2 fails to kill the dog despite being at close range! Waywatchers pointing the wrong way again!

Combat: The wild riders get quite lucky on their wound rolls and I get about 8 wounds through with 5 in return. He fails his rerollable 5 break test and gets run down.

Ogre Khans Turn 2

Movement: The other mournfange charge the dryads. Gnoblars reform to get revenge against the wild riders. Finally once again the wild riders are blocked by a wounded dog.

Magic: He gets toughness on MC2 which isn’t shown. He casts panic on the sentinels which I let go and they pass. Finally he casts the magic missile on my dragon, and despite saving my dice I fail to dispel it. He fails to wound in return.

Shooting: Gnoblars kill the two wild riders.

Combat: 7 dryads die and the last one gets away.

Sylvan Elves Turn 3

Movement: FR1 tries to charge his gnoblars, but fail to get 9. The sentinels realize they are doomed, so they just lure the mournfang away from everything else. Everything else goes to the right flank.

Magic: 5v3 I think. I got all in on molten metal on MC2 to save the sentinels, but fail to cast.

Shooting: I kill one dog and wound the other. I also take some wounds off the iron guts, although we realize around here that wheat fields give cover. Whoops.

Ogre Khans Turn 3

Movement: Mournfange charges the sentinels, I decide to stand and shoot to do a few wounds although I probably should have fled to leave him stranded. He also charges the rangers with his iron guts. Gnoblars have to march forward to get in range of anything.

Magic: He gets through the panic spell on my heath riders and the flee.

Combat: Sentinels are destroyed and he reforms to face heath riders and SA1. Rangers are also destroyed, they could have done good damage here but I rolled very poorly. He reforms to face main forces.

Sylvan Elves Turn 4

Movement: Heath riders rally and face MC2. SA1 move backwards to slide out of charge arc. Everyone else prepares to engage gnoblars or to anticipate iron guts.

Magic: He dispels all of my spells with dice!

Shooting: I shoot the last dog.

Ogre Khans Turn 4

Movement: My heath riders flee from his mournefang, but flee very short. They don’t get caught though. Iron guts move up.

Magic: He gets toughness on his ogres.

Shooting: Gnoblars do 9 wounds to the forest rangers! EEEK! Sadly because I have a champion they can no longer grab objectives.

Sylvan Elves Turn 5

Movement: I charge gnoblars with dryads and he holds, I then charge with wild riders where he stands and shoot but I take no damage. Both charges are failed however! Heath riders fail to rally as well, and I even lose 3 or 4 to dangerous terrain.

Magic: Again I fail to do much with magic, as I keep rolling a one and something else on dice and he has +3 to dispel most of the time.

Shooting: Shooting do no damage to iron guts.

Ogre Khans Turn 5

Movement: Iron guts try for the wild riders, but fail to get 9. Mournefang moves up to catch heath riders.

Magic: He gets a single toughness buff on the iron guts.

Shooting: He kills two wild riders with gnoblars.

Sylvan Elves Turn 6

Movement: Dryads go into gnoblars, losing one to stand and shoot. Wild riders, BSB and dragon charges the iron guts but Gregory fails its charge! Nooooo.

Magic: He let me get a small molten metal on his mournefang, I do enough damage to remove a model but he passes his panic. I then get off the strength buff on the wild riders with a very high roll.

Shooting: Shooting does nothing to mournfang.

Combat: Dryads kill 8 gnoblars but take 5 wounds in return on a very lucky wounding dice. I lose by one but stay. The wild riders and BSB do 9 wounds to the iron guts, but the wild riders are destroyed in return. I win combat by a lot, but he is steadfast as dragon did not provide rank.

Ogre Khans Turn 6

Movement: Mournefang catches my riders, I am hoping to get lucky with dangerous terrains for another panic but he doesn’t fail any.

Magic: Nothing of importance, probably some toughness?

Combat: His lord challenges for a proper final showdown. I do no damage to him without my lance, as I have to reroll successful wounds. He does three wounds to me, his holy attacks and multiple wounds aren’t necessary as I already fail all three ward saves in the first go.

Prologue
A very good and close game. We did not count up points, but I think it is a draw or a slight victory to him. Had my last forest ranger been the banner bearer, then I would had a minor victory I think. My biggest mistakes were probably not fleeing with the sentinels and the dragon movement. All in all I was very happy with the list, but magic did not do much for me.

A big thanks to my opponent as well. Turned out the he played a 100 points less than me! Double toughness spell was really good for him, and at first he got of a lot of spells on two dice. But during the later half of the game he failed a couple of essential toughness spells due to using two dice, which really helped me out. The gnoblars turned out to be my biggest trouble, too many bodies to deal with and bows that really sting versus T3.

Looking forward:
The dragon only has fly(7), so I want to try the lore of shadows to get some extra movement in. With mindrazor in mind I felt like I had to get some wardancers in, so I have changed one unit of rangers into some wardancers and as an experiment I will let the BSB be a wardancer with the giant blade as well!

In core I got rid of the big unit of heath riders as they are somewhat of a liability and also the dryads as I was not overly impressed with them. With toughness debuff in mind, I got some more archers instead. Also, as one ranger unit is gone I went with two small units of ambushing riders to grab objectives and to kill warmachines.

To afford the changes I had to drop the waywatchers, but that allowed me to get an eagle in. The eagle will be useful for setting up sweet multicharges.

Only last consideration is the lore on the level 1 mage, who will now be on foot. Probably starting in archers and joining sentinels when possible. Thinking to stick with alchemy, but I might go with fireball or even a second miasma. Miasma has been nerfed though, so it is no longer possible to drop all 4 stats.

Pictures

Wild Riders on the warpath!
Setting up the trap
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Thanks for that Thomas.
Mollesvinet wrote: I decided to change it all around after all.
The leopard does not change his spots!

Another thought-provoking list. The Divine Icon is good for damage but did you consider Charm of Cursed Iron for defence? So you found the magic didn't do enough? Shadow should be interesting. The mounted mage makes sense but I guess the loss of Feigned Flight really hurt here. 2x7 Wild Riders are obviously going to be strong. A bit surprised by the MSU Rangers but they are fairly cheap and no ASF enemies anymore. I get that sometimes they can be sacrificed to weaken a larger enemy unit. The biggest thing that struck me about the Ogre list was no Ironblasters.

I kind of understand the Ogre deployment, in that he doesn't want to get double-enveloped. My first thought would still be to have the Gutstar on the right of his line, in the centre of the table. There's a risk you get units round the back of it but that way he's pretty sure to get it into meaningful combats. As it was he only achieved this with your consent. You were a little unlucky but combo-charging this unit is always risky. I think what happened is quite common, ie you lose a unit or two and he survives with a handful of Ogres, which favours him re Victory Points.

I was a bit confused by your self-criticism re the dragon deployment but of course he's slower than he used to be. I would think you want to get him round the back of the Ogre line, normally very threatening in the absence of Ironblasters but I guess that wasn't practical here. Was it worth your opponent casting a S5 MM against your T6 Dragon or is the movement nerf pretty good? Wild Riders vs Mournfangs worked out well here, is it still favourable on even dice?

Giant Blade BSB has worked for you before I believe? It's good in H(B)E armies too and probably others. The Dryads are a decent utility unit but I often found myself cutting them from lists because they weren't essential. Partly depends what other redirectors you have I suppose. I suspect it's worth continuing with Alchemy, it's a nice option to punish armour at range. With Monstrous Cavalry now mostly having 2+ saves you can use archers for this but the spell does it quicker.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Hi Phil,

In 9th the riders protective equipment does nothing at all for whatever reason. I am a bit confused as to whether this also counts when the item says "the model gains" or "its unit gain"... The rule is here:

"Use the saves of the Monster. Any armour equipment worn by the rider or its
Ward/Regeneration Save have no effect, unless noted otherwise. Ridden Monsters
may only have Innate Defence armour type."

The rangers still have lightning reflexes, so they strike at their normal initiative with thier great weapons. The unit is mainly a scoring unit, to take objectives. Many opponents will think twice about engaging though, considering the number of S5 AP attacks.

The dragon movement is definately something I will have to work on, but with shadow magic I get an extra 6" move everytime i cast a spell. That should help out! As you said, if I can get into the opponents side of the table I can threaten more units. This is one of the reasons why I took the two ambushing units, in case he has cannons.

Wild riders are still good, but the light lance version would have been better against the mournefang due to their higher toughness and armour save. The additional handweapon wild riders are very good against infantry, especially elves, due to +1 initiative. Overall the lance ones are probably better, but I will try them out some more.

The S5 magic missile was worth a shot, but he only did two hits and no wounds. It basically removes the highes dice if it wounds you when charging, fleeing and so on.

Finally, the wardancer BSB is an experiement. He is not nearly as good as he was before, but at least he can get 3++ in the first round of combat and then hopefully destroy the enemy in the second round with +1A. He does give the wardancers swiftstride, which is pretty cool.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

OK so as you may have noticed Thomas, I've posted a thread up on Ulthuan to get opinions on the Monster protection issue. We're starting to see more 9th Age posters there now so hopefully can get some kind of useful consensus.

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=69710

Path of Shadows is interesting. The major spells have taken nerfs compared to 8th but Pendulum has been replaced by something more interesting, for example. You still have a movement spell to complement the attribute too.

I hadn't noticed the hit to Wild Rider initiative. That hurts, firstly because of all the Initiative 6 elves running around but also because Initiative 5 stuff now gets to hit you at full strength. I agree though, the point of Strength from Sylvan Lance is probably too important to trade for the +1 Initiative of Sylvan Blades.

Swiftstride looks fantastic for Wardancers! No more failed charges!

ScottyDo
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by ScottyDo »

Just wanted to drop in and let you know how much I appreciate your updates. Thank you for continuing to post.
frogboy
Elder of the Council

Post by frogboy »

ScottyDo wrote:Just wanted to drop in and let you know how much I appreciate your updates. Thank you for continuing to post.
Likewise, I enjoy reading these. I unfortunately can't offer any useful kind of tactical conversation though but please carry on :D :thumbsup:
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Mollesvinet - 2016-04-18 - Colchester tournament replay

Post by Mollesvinet »

So we joined a tournament in Colchester, it is some time ago so some of the details will be hazy. It was a smallish event at around 30 people. I was eyeing through the 9th age army book for some tasty combos, and I spotted something I couldn’t resist. A mage lord riding a dragon! Selecting a lore was difficult, I was debating between shadow and white magic. In the end I went for white magic, as it has healing for the dragon, cataclysm against hordes and everyone hates arcane disjunction except the caster. In the end it came out at 2500pt as follows:

High druid – level 4 white, earthing rod, divine icon, green dragon (Gregory), magic res 3
BSB – eagle (AP and lightning reflexes), great weapon, armour of destiny, shield
Druid – level 1 alchemy, dispel scroll
2x5 heath riders – banner, ambush, cloaks
3x10 sylvan archers – black arrows (some with musicians for spare points)
7 wild riders –sylvan lance, shield, champ, banner of flame
7 wild riders –sylvan blades, shield, champ, banner of speed
10 forest rangers –banner of relentless company (triple march)
10 forest rangers – banner
8 sylvan sentinels – scout, poison

I made a mistake of giving my glade riders both ambush and elven cloaks, this is illegal but was corrected by karma as they never took an objective all tournament.

Game 1 – Daemons of Nurgle

My opponent Ben had the following list, a monotheist Nurgle army:
Great unclean one – level 3 nurgle, crown of +1LD, skull of +1 spell
Nurgle herald – parlequin, BSB, horn of damnation (no BSB rerolls for enemies in BtB contact)
Nurgle herald – level 1 nurgle, dispel scroll equivalent, Regen locus
30 tallymen – full command, standard of speed
16 tallymen – full command
2x2 pestilence beasts – contamination (+1 poison)
5 furies
Daemon engine – paired weapons and flamethrower
3 blight flies – contamination

I deployed my entire army first, and would do so for every game this tournament. In my opinion this worked out okay for me, as all my army elements were either very fast or shooting. For all games I would put wild riders central, so they can reach any target. Archers spread equally and ranger on the flanks. Dragon and BSB would always stick together and start in the middle to reach all enemies in first turn with spells. He put flies and engine on my left flank, and everything else central/right. He put BSB in the small unit of tallymen and his level 1 mage in the big unit.

Basically his army was a good match up for my list. We played the objective was holding the middle of the table. Magic on round one was a small roll, which was perfect all tournament long for casting arcane disjunction on the dispel scroll caddie.

On the left I got a combined charge on the daemon engine with rangers and wild riders with sylvan blades. They killed it, but would eventually be destroyed by the flies.
In the middle I put all arrows on the great unclean one, only interrupted by furies when viable. At one point he had a single fury left which he charged into the rear or flank of my archers, I was happy about that as it was killed easily. The great unclean one would succumb to the arrows eventually as well.

The flame wild riders got into his small unit of tallymen with the BSB, and over 2-3 rounds of combat they had broken the lot and reformed to face the big unit. I stayed away from the big unit until I successfully cast boosted cataclysm on them. Afterwards I did a combined charge with the dragon, bsb and remaining wild riders which annihilated the whole units in 1-2 rounds of combat.

His beasts managed to kill some of my archers, and on the last round his flies aimed at the objective to keep my guys away from it. My glade riders would be no match for them so they stayed away. Afterwards I realized that I could have moved both units of glade riders in and he would only have been able to kill one of them, thus giving me objective. Ah well, they were cheating glade riders anyway.

Result: 16-4 to me (maximum for VP without objective)

Game 2 – Vampire Counts

From memory my opponents list were as follows:
Vampire lord – challenge build and level 2 vamp
Necromancer – level 1 vamp, probably scroll
Vampire – level 2 vamp?
2x20 zombies
40 skeletons
2x5 dogs
3 morghast
2x3 flying monstrous beast vampires
Corpse cart
Terrorgheist

We had the objective where you need scoring units in your opponents deployment zone, my cheating glade riders moment to shine! I deployed everything first and he answered by having his flying monstrous beasts on my left side and most other things on my right side.

Turn one I move into position, and do some wounds to his terrorgheist with shooting. Magic doesn’t do much.

He moves up as well, and I have to use scroll against a magic missile.

In my turn 2 I go for the charge with my wild riders with sylvan lances against his morghast. Either my forest rangers or the other wild riders catch some flying monstrous beasts. I shoot his terrorgheist down to a single remaining wound. In the combat phase the wild riders fail badly, against odds they only manage a single wound and gets destroyed in return.

In his turn he flies the terrogheist to safety and pushes up, now that the wild riders are gone. In his magic phase he manages to put 3 wounds back on the terrorgheist. His other unit of flying monstrous beasts kill a unit of my archers on the left and morghasts kills a unit on the right.

My remaining wild riders and forest rangers on the left side engages a zombie unit, and a single zombie survives which is great. Again magic doesn’t do anything, I think that I continuously fail to roll high enough for cataclysm on his big unit.

The rejuvenated terrorgheist flies to scream at poor Gregory and the morghasts moves up to threaten. Screaming deals 3 wounds to Gregory. The wild riders fighting the single zombie slays it and reforms to face the terrorgheist.

In my turn the wild riders charge the terrorgheist and my BSB + Gregory goes for a unit of 20 zombies, as they can overrun out of harms way. In the magic phase I cast strength buff on the wild riders and get IF, the spell goes off but Gregory takes another wound. The terrorgheist is destroyed and so are the 20 zombies. However, Gregory goes all out and I roll 3 sixes for overrun which takes me just into contact with the flank of his main unit.

In his turn the morghasts go back towards his own deployment zone, as I have a unit of forest rangers reaching his lines. I realize that I forgot to roll for my ambushers on turn 2, and on turn 3 they both fail to show up. Karma, now they can’t claim objectives! In combat his vampire lord challenges, and I feel that if I can just survive his first attacks then I should be able to stomp the life out of him. But alas he deals exactly two wounds, I save one but have to reroll it or something and Gregory falls. He reforms towards my deployment zone for the objective.

Out of desperation I decide to charge his morghasts with the rangers and my BSB. This pays of well for me as I manage to destroy them all with only 4 rangers as casualties. The rangers overrun into his deployment zone. Also he forgot to move his remaining unit of flying monstrous beasts, and I get to kill them with the wild riders.
In his final turn he moves his characters out of the unit to look at my rangers. His main unit then walks into my deployment zone for objective. In his magic phase he gets a huge roll but I manage to dispel 3d6 version fireball on the rangers. He gets through a 2d6 S4 missile, and it just kills of the last rangers. The objective is his.

Result: 15-5 to him I think

Game 3 – Warriors of Chaos

This game was against my friend Chris that I play against often. It was actually nice to play a familiar list on the last game, as we were both getting tired. He had as follows:
Chaos Lord – ruby ring, 5+ ward, 2+ armour save?
2x sorcerer – both level 1 fire, one with scroll and one with tome of +1 spell
20 chaos warriors – full command, halberds
10 chaos warriors – banner
8 chaos warrior ogre type things
8 fallen with lust
3x spawn
2x bloodcrushers
Hell cannon
Chimera

Objective was capturing the two counters and I deployed everything first. He went for refused flank and put almost everything on my left.

He had 10 chaos warriors on the right to take an objective, but I sent my rangers after them and they swiftly kicked the warriors butt.

His hell cannon did 4 wounds to Gregory on turn 1! Ouch!

Flaming wild riders did a dance of death with his juggernauts, but would eventually destroy both of them on one of the last turns.

Gregory, the BSB and the sylvan blade wild riders took out the chaos warriors and the chaos lord in a single turn (after a boosted cataclysm)! Getting +3 to all stats from boost hand of glory did help out Gregory reach his full potential. However, Gregory was then caught by the chaos warrior ogres and put to death.

The wild riders and BSB proceeded to destroy the hellcannon, as it was already damaged from poison shooting. He had forgot to move his chimera and while it passed its panic from the warriors breaking the round before, it did panic from the cannon being destroyed and it flew off the board.

Annoyingly his spawns went to town on my archers and sentinels, and killed most of my core section. His ogres held one objective and my rangers the other, but I had him on points.

Result: 14-6 to me or something like that

Game 4 – Lizardmen

My opponents list was as follows:
Skink hero – ancient steg, charmed shield, extra impact hits
Skink hero – bolt thrower bow
Skink mage – level 1 heaven
Skink mage – level 2 beast
Skink mage – level 2 beast
Saurus hero – BSB, banner of hatred
Saurus cowboy (hero or lord) – cold one, kickass
2x10 skirmish skinks
30 saurus with sword and board
7 kroxigors and 30 skinks
Ancient steg

I did my usual deployment to go first, and he put all of his units on my left side with the saurus almost in the corner. All his infantry skink heroes are in the kroxigor unit and the saurus characters in the saurus horde. This time we had capture the tokens mission.

Turn one I take his dispel scroll with arcane on a small wind of magic roll. I move everything up and shoot at his hero stegosaurus.

He moves up but fail to do anything with magic as amber spear fails to wound Gregory.

In my second turn I charge the sylvan blade wild riders into the front of his kroxigor unit. This took him completely by surprise, as he mainly played wood elves who ran away all game. The wild riders killed all his skink heroes except the level 1 heavens and a bunch of other skinks. They were however destroyed in return.

I shot off his hero steg over time, and managed to avoid his saurus unit all game. A boosted cataclysm vaporized almost all the skinks in the kroxigor unit, but after that they ran away. I did manage to kill the last skink mage though.

I held one objective on my side, but his steg and skinks meant that I couldn’t get the second one.

Victory at: 14-6

Game 5 – Warriors of Chaos

This was against Francesco and his chaos warriors. I knew I was in for a tough game, and his list really scared me:
Lord of Chaos – bluffer helm, great weapon, mark of change, talisman of greater shielding, thid eye of change, chariot, barding (T5, 4W, 1+AS 4++ ward and reroll successful to wound rolls! Ouch!)
Lord of Chaos – Dragonscale helm, flying carpet, great weapon, mark of pestilence, path of fallen (monstrous infantry), talismand of supreme shielding
Harbinger of chaos – BSB, mark of true chaos
Sorcerer – level 1 change, dispel scroll, mark of change
Sorcerer – level 2 change, mark of change, daemonic wings, tome of arcane lore
5 barbarian horsemen
20 barbarians
5 fallen
2x5 warhounds
3x chariots
10x chosen of change, champion and standard
9 wasteland trolls, mark of pestilence

I managed to shoot some wounds off his monstrous chaos lord, but he eventually hid in a unit. I was simply unable to threaten his chariot lord, and I failed to get arcane disjunction through even a single time. I also failed 2-3 casts of boosted molten metal on him.

He gets gateway on Gregory, but the magic resistances shaves the damage from 5 wounds to 2.

I tried a combined charge into the chaos lord with BSB and Dragon, but only BSB made it. Furthermore my wild riders failed to get 7 on swiftstride to charge something else. I also failed to cast blessing on the BSB for about 3 times, as I couldn’t roll 7 on three dice.

Gregory’s failed charge was in fact a method to cleverly lure the trolls into a forest before attacking with the help of the wild riders of flame. I managed to break the trolls, although the killed the wild riders. However, they got away and that was really my chance back into the game. Not only this, on that very turn after 3 rounds of combat his lord kills my BSB and gets to charge Gregory. This does not end well for my dragon companion.

My other wild riders were bullied by spells, they are quite fragile against these sort of things.

All in all, everything looked really good for him at first. Then I had a slight comeback, but in the end everything crumbled and I lost big time.

Result: 19-1 to him

Conclusion

So the main attraction of the list was the dragon mage. White magic was awesome, a couple of buffs, cataclysm for hordes and arcane disjunction for characters. It was especially good from a mobile platform, and being on a dragon with earthing rod makes the mage nigh immune to miscast. The mage does get pretty tough, and even though there is no ward save at least there is T6 and 3+ armour save. Main concern was artillery, as she had magic resistance. The dragon is great in combat, but I did feel a bit restricted from having the mage on it. With a combat dragon I would have felt much more comfortable going for the chariot lord for example. It would also enable the dragon to roam more freely, as I wouldn’t have to consider arcs and ranges for spells.

The BSB was solid, always were I needed him and both decently tough and strong. With the dragon around, no one payed him much attention with their warmachines. The mage was okay for a caddie, although when I finally needed molten metal I would always fail to cast it. Perhaps I should go for the small version, but I hate the odds of simply rolling a single hit.

Core archers were solid, armour piercing on long range and S4 on short range does a lot of difference. The glade riders were illegal and have to be rethought. Ambush is simply not worth it, they do far too less damage in the few turns they are on the board. In the future I would make the glade riders armour save 3+ at the cost of their bows, bows that did close to nothing all game. It is not as good, but their speed does enable them to run around the flank in most games.

Wild riders were mainly awesome as usual. Lately though, I have been feeling as they are kind of hit or miss. Sometimes they are simply too fragile, which forces rushed decisions. I liked the combination of one unit with sylvan lances and one unit of sylvan blades. In the future though I might take ambush instead of shields on the sylvan blade unit, as they can’t use the shield in close combat anyway.

Sentinels were golden with scout and poison. They did so many wounds to hard targets and were always in the right position.

The rangers were interesting and probably the best scoring unit for their cost. They do a lot of damage although fairly slow. The triple march banner helped tremendously with this. Too bad they couldn’t be core so that I could take them instead of the riders.

It was a very funny list to play, even if not the most competetive. I highly recommend mages on dragon, most entertaining!

I ended up 17th, but my last opponent ended up at 4th place after trashing me. Although many people had faulty lists I did feel bad about it, and I was happy afterwards that I did not win any trophies or similar.

I have already signed up for my next tournament, it will be on the second of July in Bristol and is called Call to War. I have two lists written up, two versions of the same concept really. Hopefully I can get to try it out this week! Also, my Warhammer hero Tom Richards is going (unless he there is an imposter with the same name) so I will be looking forward to saying hello to him there.

Until we meet again, enjoy existence.