Mollesvinet - 2016-06-27 - Call to War 2016 List

Here is the place for all your reports of battles against those who seek to defile our sacred glades.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Mollesvinet - 2015-04-11 - D&D vs Dark Elves!

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Thanks Thomas, good to see you too! I've PM'd you but well played.

Aezeal it was VC/Lizardmen/Skaven 1/2/3. The Lizardmen guy 20-0'd me game 2. He had a pretty standard list, loads of skinks, big unit of Temple Guard with Slann plus typical supporting characters.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Hi Guys,

Results are here.

I played against the skaven guy who came third, he had 6 of those new stormfiends and they took me completely by surprise. 3 of them had grenade launchers, each shooting like a stonethrower with all S5 and even rerolling failed wounds. The 3 others had miniguns, each shooting 3d6 (!!!) times at S5 as well I think with the rerolls to wound as well. Even with stormbanner up and cover (7+ to hit), he managed to kill 5 elves with those 3 miniguns. He also had a verminlord that i shot down quickly, a grey seer with power scroll, a cannon and a doom rocket. Apparently doom rocket can be used as stand and shoot, this took me by surprise as well and cost me half of my remaining eternal guard...

I also played against the chaos dwarves on 10th place, they were pretty insane and tabled me. They had two heat seeking missiles, S3 big templated which is bad news against T3 elves. They also had a hell cannon with rerolls combined with doom and darkness mage.... And a fireball caddie, blasting big fireballs while i had to dispel doom and darkness to avoid panicking with everything. And a k'dai.
Attachments
Results
Results
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

They got my score wrong, I should be on 45pts, so 38th.

Is there any way to buff your EG up vs shooting Thomas?

Edit: nope, I forgot the capped scoring, so 41/80 TP's is right, not 45/100 as I thought.
Last edited by Phil Rossiter on 27 Apr 2015, 11:00, edited 1 time in total.
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: All kind of Elves.

Post by NonnoSte »

Ouch, that silly item is a real killer.
It's also the same point cost of our HoDA. I wonder how can people find the HoDA over powered.

Those stormfiends look nasty. They're not the usual chaff shooters either. How have you managed them in the end?

I'm afraid template shooting is the only real downside of combat wood elves. You offer juicy targets which can't be protected by enemy fire.
The point is that you have to invest in your combat unit, regardless of your setup.
I think Phil's solution with a 4++ bunker is the only real answer.

Did the chaos player field magma cannons too? Those rocket launchers are already a big threat, pairing two of them with an Hellcannon doesn't sound nice. How were CD comped?
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Generic 4 warmachine cap, max 2 of each type. Hellcannon 0-1, counts as war machine, as does Iron Daemon. Flask restricted. Generic 5-die casting cap, 4 for Death.

Thomas has magic largely covered with MR3 but I guess it might be worth getting Life or High in to buff the EG.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Versus BS shooting I have my forest for cover. BS shooting is not so common except from the wood elf army, and could usually be out-deployed and taken out before it did too much damage. Also curse of anraheir and iceshard blizzard helps.

For warmachines, I would start by deploying very wide. In the chaos dwarf match i even wanted to go with just 1 rank on both EG and GG, but i was too lazy and did 2 ranks on each. The upside to eternal guard is that they are stubborn, so sure you lose some attacks and static res on the first round of combat but then you can just reform into battle formation. Of course you can always reform them once you take care of the warmachines. Iceshard blizzard can also help.

The chaos player had two hell cannons, but no re-rolls on them. This meant that one shot would usually scatter, leaving me more or less okay. That was my first game, so I will try to finish that today.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

I guess High Elves will usually have magic missiles, 4 RBT and maybe archers. DE's can go shooty but will usually compromise that and go for massed Fast Cav and mobile characters. But even if, that elf shooting should be targeting archers and Wild Riders to win the board control war.

Good point re deploying wide. I don't think it's a perfect defence but it looks workable. Chaos Dwarfs are great at hammering infantry blocks because almost everything has a template, which is rare in an army these days.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Mollesvinet - 2015-04-25 - London's Burning game 1

Post by Mollesvinet »

Pre-game
First of all, my list is unchanged from the previous tournament trial:

D&D Mark II

First game of the tournament was against Alex and his chaos warriors. His list was as follows:
Daemon Prince – flying, 1+ armour, charmed shield, maybe more
Daemon Prince – Flying, 2+ armour, probably more
Sorcerer Lord – Level 4 Metal, disc, 4+ ward, probably more
BSB – Daemonic mount, 4+ ward
16 Warriors of Nurgle – full command, movement banner, shields and halberds?
3 Chaos Ogres – Mark of nurgle, full command
2 Slaneesh Chariots
2 Hell Cannons

So basically some really tough lords and heroes, albeit no 3+ saves, and some support for them. For spells we rolled the following:

Metal: Final transmutation, transmutation of lead, glittering robes and searing doom
Druid: Wys, spear, savage beast, transformation
Diviner: Harmonic convergence, iceshard blizzard, windblast and comet

Perfect spells for the Druid but the Diviner lacked any lightning bolts. Most of his spells were pretty useless as I have next to no armour, but glittering robe and final transmutation are good. On to deployment! 

Deployment
We have two normal buildings, two normal hills and a dangerous terrain feature in the upper right. The right-most forest is my venom thicket and the two others are ordinary forests. My scouts focus on a hell cannon and the chariots on the right and my waywatchers go central and left to threaten characters. The wild riders turned towards each corner on their vanguard as can be seen on the next diagram. I won the roll to go first which is very helpful against two hell cannons.

Wood Elves Turn 1
Movement: The daemon princes are behind cover, so I move to threaten the BSB and the mage. My eternal guard moves up but I can’t get close enough to the daemon prince for amber spear without getting too close to the chariots.

Magic: 7v5 – I cast amber spear on a chariot with 3 dice and get IF. The chariot is removed and i suffer a small explosion which kills a few eternal guard and the rest of my dice. Fair trade.

Shooting: The scouts kill enough dogs to force a panic and they flee off the board. I ponder whether to shoot at the mage or DP1 with the leftmost waywatchers, but decide on the mage as I would hit and wound on 5+ instead of 6+. I get 3 hits and roll 3 sixes to wound, he rolls 3 ones for his ward saves and loses his mage turn 1. Tough luck. The other waywatchers put 2 wounds on his BSB as well!

Warriors Turn 1
Movement: The success of the waywatchers panic my opponent a bit, and he pulls back his important forces and sends forwards the chaff.

Shooting: A hell cannon hits 4 wild riders on the left, but at least I save one wound on ward saves. The other hell cannon scatters a bit and takes out 2 waywatchers, they pass their panic.

Wood Elves Turn 2
Movement: I decide to charge the wild riders into the ogres, as I had a chance to overrun into his daemon prince and hopefully do a few wounds to him but also make sure he won’t move. The other wild riders go towards the right hell cannon and scouts focus on the chariot. The waywatchers on the left fail their march test, so i decide to stay within range of DP1 but make sure the dogs are in my front.

Magic: 9+1v6 – I spend two dice to put blizzard on a hell cannon and he lets me. I cast harmonic convergence on the waywatchers with another 2 dice and he lets me do that as well. I cast comet of cassandora with 2 or 3 dice and he dispels it with everything. I then successfully cast amber spear at his chariot, but it only does 1 wound.

Shooting: Remarkably, all shooting fails to do anything this round.

Combat: The wild riders rolls pretty poorly to hit and ends up scoring just 4 wounds, I was really hoping to remove at least 2 ogres. I get lucky on my saves and only lose 1 wild rider, but he pass his break test. 

Warriors Turn 2

Movement: He charges DP2 at my wild riders and I decide to flee, the dogs charge them again but they get away! His chariot charges the other waywatchers, I flee and he fails to redirect. Warriors start moving forwards again.

Shooting: One hell cannon scatters off the wild riders and the other ones fails to shoot due to blizzard.

Combat: Either nothing happens in the battle this turn or otherwise I recorded the events in the next turn. 

Wood Elves Turn 3
Movement: Wild riders charge the hell cannon. Both units of waywatchers rally. Eternal guard marches up to get DP2 into amber spear range.

Magic: 7v5 – I cast comet with two dice, just in front of the warriors and between me and the daemon princes. I then spend 5 dice on boosted amber spear at DP2, he fails to dispel but again I only do 1 wound with it.

Shooting: The chariot finally dies to shooting.

Combat: The wild riders put the cannon down to one wound and he fails to roll a single hit against me in return! 

Warriors Turn 3
Movement: He realizes that he has to go to me, and everything moves up full speed in spite of comet (the princes where a bit further away from it, but still). The hell cannon also lose its mind and moves forwards.

Magic: Comet adds another counter.

Combat: I kill another dwarf and he does a couple of wounds to me, draw. 

Wood Elves Turn 4
Movement:My eagle blocks the warriors to buy some time. Waywatchers move to shoot characters, keeping the dogs in their front arc. The eternal guard assume battle formation.

Magic: 11v6 – I cast harmonic convergence with 2 or 3 dice and it gets IF. A small explosion cost me some glade guard and some dice. He then manages to dispel amber spear on his daemon prince because he has more dice than me.

Shooting: Waywatchers take out the BSB. The rest of the archers either kill some warriors or fail to wound the daemon prince that already took damage.

Combat: Wild riders finish off the hell cannon and reforms to face the battle. 

Warriors Turn 4
Movement: Dogs charge the waywatchers and I hold. Warriors charge eagle and I hold. The daemon princes both charge the eternal guard and I fail my second rerollable LD10 terror test! The glade guard doesn’t panic though. This means that his daemon princes fail their charges and end up behind the warriors.

Magic: The comet again stays afloat! It now has 4 counters on it!

Shooting: Don’t remember what his cannon did, it may have missed or killed a few elves.

Combat: The dogs are all killed by the waywatchers. 

Wood Elves Turn 5
Movement: Eternal guard rally, I was very nervous about that roll even if they were at LD10! I think I put the glade guard into the building, even if it isn’t shown on this picture.

Magic: The mighty comet comes soaring down, I roll the 8+ radius required to hit everything and things get ugly. The top daemon prince takes 13 hits, discarding one with a charmed shield. Suffice to say, 12 S8 hits was enough to bring it down. The second daemon prince actually saves a lot of hits, but just die taking 3 wounds. I also kill 11 warriors.

At this point my opponent gives up. I offered to play the rest of the game so that he could do some shots with his cannon, but he insisted that to keep playing would be a depressing exercise so we stopped. 

Post-game
Lots of good luck for me in this game, killing the level 4 mage turn 1 was huge. I was terrified when my eternal guard ran, but found out that it was actually for the best in the end. My opponent said his main mistake was not to commit in the beginning, and I could only agree.

I was a bit disappointed never to hit close combat with the eternal guard in this one, but I knew there would be plenty of chances for that later on. I am not overly worried about a single chaos character reaching my unit, as I can challenge them out with champ first and then hit them with potion of strength and horros next turn. Two or three chaos characters at the same time though, that would be bad.

In the end I got the 2500 points for his army, 100 for his general, 300 for breaking him and 300 for not getting broken. This sent me directly to table 1 at my second game, a scary prospect!

Comments and questions are welcome. I will try to finish the next report for tonight or tomorrow.

Pictures
Deployment (fuzzy)
Left flank mid-game
Right flank mid-game
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Great start Thomas, the game reminded me of my last game (vs Daemons) in many ways.

Amber Spear is an excellent spell against WoC with all their single models. Sometimes the chariots can be a better target than the characters because they lack wards and need to be taken out anyway. It was great shooting turn one but a guy playing a list with solo characters needs to minimise this I feel. As you said, he really needs to get them forwards because each turn you get to shoot just favours you.

I loved the WR charge with the idea of overrunning and pinning the DP. I achieved exactly the same thing in my game, killing some Horrors and hitting a Bloodthirster. He spent his turn killing the Riders but left the thirster static to be shot off in my next turn. The difference was, you planned for this, I achieved it by accident! One reason you may be a better player than me. Again, I got slightly lucky T1 and Amber Speared a Lvl4 Daemon Prince, like you got the Sorcerer Lord. So after that, no +4 to dispel, no scroll.

Loved the explosion marker,very graphic!

:)
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Nice game.. guess he might put the sorc in a unit next time :D and have some more respect for the comet.. really leaving such mobile units in that area unneccesarily was a pretty dumb move.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Thank you for the compliments Phil. Too bad my plan didn't work out though.

Aezeal, I think he did a lot of moves on "auto-pilot" as it was the first game. The mage should definately have been in the unit, all he was going to do was cast transmutation and dispel things anyway. While the position of the comet marker and the location of his daemon princes are a bit deceptive on the diagram compared to reality, it is more or less correct. I did put the marker there with the thought to slow down his princes, but none of us planned on him failing both charges and staying there. In any case, even if the charge had been succesful then it would still be two rolls on the comet with his big guys near it. On the other hand, i could have rolled a 6 for radius and no one would have been hit.

Will write up the next game when I come to work, this was against an empire list.
nXken
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: WE

Post by nXken »

Gj!

I am curious for the rest of ur games :D
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Mollesvinet - 2015-04-25 - London's Burning game 2

Post by Mollesvinet »

Pre-game
So yeah, table 1. I was up against Ben and his empire list. I knew this list would be a problem, check it out:

Mage Lord – Level 4 life, scroll
Mage Lord – Level 4 light
Mage Hero – Level 1 light
BSB
War altar with priest – charmed shield
25 halbardiers – full command, movement banner
5 archers (detachment)
3x 5 knights with banners and musicians
5 demigryphs
4 demigryphs
Steam tank
Cannon

So basically 1+ armour everywhere, 2 shems, 2 banishments and dwellers... ouch!

Spells:
Light – Shems, banishment, net, pha’s protection
Light – shems
Life – Throne, regrowth, flesh to stone, ?
Druid – Savage beast, transformation, wyssans, curse of anraheir
Diviner – Curse of midnight, blizzard, comet, chain lightning

On to deployment: 

Deployment
The forest in front of the EG is my venom-thicket, the other forests are normal. There are 2 buildings and 2 impassible terrains (barrels and rocks). I wanted my scouts near his cannon and steam tank, but random movement is a bitch. Waywatchers took aim at his demis. I had +1 but he got the first turn anyways. 

Empire Turn 1
Movement: The tank generates 3 steam points but only moves 5” on 3d3. Everything else moves up, not a lot of finesse involved there.

Magic: 11+1v6 – 12 dice magic phase to begin with. I dispel banishment on WR2 from his level 4 with 4 dice versus his 4 dice. I then dispel
banishment from the alter on 3 dice with my 2 remaining dice. Luckily I get to save my scroll as he fails to cast dwellers.

Shooting: The cannon aims at the eagle but blows up.

Wood Elves turn 1
Movement:WR1 scares away the two knights, sadly my charge roll include a six so I get quite close to the demigryphs. WR2 prepares to charge whatever engages my eternal guard and scouts move up.

Magic: 11v6+1 – He dispels curse of anreheir on D1 and also comet. Surprisingly he uses his dispel scroll on chain lightning at D1 (or K1?). I have one dice left but fail to cast blizzard on D1 as I roll 1 or 2.

Shooting: Shooting doesn’t go well, I think I do a few wounds to D1 but nothing spectacular.

Empire Turn 2
Movement: D1 charges my EG but doesn’t fail any dangerous terrain. D2 makes the charge into my wild riders flank, darn it! K1 charges my scouts but I flee behind my wild riders so they fail. The tank misfires, takes a wound and loses all its steam points. Halberdiers and war alter move up and the two units of knights rally.

Magic: 7v5 – I use my scroll against banishment on WR2, it was a high casting roll. I dispel flesh to stone on the demigryphs but he manages to cast throne of vines.

Combat: My wild riders are destroyed and he overruns into the eagle... Stupid positioning, but I forgot that wild riders would wheel against the knights. I fail my fear test with the eternal guard despite having rerollable 10, so my mage goes from WS10 to WS1. The demigryphs sneak through a wound on a dancer and on my mage, but I soak a lot of damage on 3+ ward dance. No one breaks. 

Wood Elves turn 2
Movement: Apparently WR2 could only attack D1 in the front, meaning just 3 models could attack. I decide to go after the knights to get rid of them, but this was probably a mistake. Waywatchers get away from the other demigryphs! Scouts rally.

Magic: 8v6 – I cast big savage beast on 23, but he dispels with his 6 dice. I wonder whether to go for transformation, but instead get both curse and blizzard off. I am hoping to win the battle on static combat res.

Shooting: shooting doesn’t do much.

Combat: The wild riders destroy the knights and overrun 12 inches. The eternal guard win combat by 4 but he passes on his reroll, however I think he may have forgotten the -1LD from blizzard. Would have broken them if they wild riders had charged them... 

Empire Turn 3
Movement: D2 fails a long charge on the eternal guard, he didn’t want to risk a failed redirect for charging the waywatchers I think. Knights charge my scouts, not sure why I didn’t move them last turn. The tank misfires again, mahahaha.

Magic: 6v3 – he casts banishment with three dice and it kills 2 waywatchers, pretty lucky. I dispel the rest.

Combat: The knights fail to hit my scouts and my scouts actually kill a knight. He still win with charge and banner and I flee but get away. No one breaks from the demigryph battle. 

Wood Elves turn 3
Movement: Scouts rally and my wild riders get in position to charge something. I knew he might be able to block me with his archers, but I was hoping he would fail his march test. Waywatchers take aim at D2.

Magic: 9v5 – I get off wyssan and one other spell, but fail to cast bubble savage by 1 with my remaining dice.

Shooting: I kill a demigryph from D2.

Combat: The last demigryph dies to my eternal star, I possibly remembered to use my potion of strength as well. I reform to get D2 into my front, mainly to protect my vulnerable BSB on the flank. 

Empire Turn 4
Movement: He manages a triple charge on the eternal guard and charges his knights at my scouts again. Of course the archers pass their march test and they block my wild riders. The tank moves forward, but not enough.

Magic: 7v5+2 – Two channels, very nice. I let him cast pha's protection on the halberdiers as I have rerolls and higher weapon skill anyway and dispel the rest.

Combat: I do a wound or two to his level 4 light mage who is in base contact with my unit and take some damage in return. I pass my break test though. Scouts are destroyed this time. 

Wood Elves turn 4
We are now very short on time, and I make a lot of mistakes due to this from here on.

Movement: Wild riders charge the pesky archers. Waywatchers focus at steam tank, not sure why they don’t take out K2. Also I just turn them around, instead of moving them further away to save time. Glade guard moves back to get some distance to the tank.

Magic: ?v? – He dispels bubble savage beast. I then get off boosted transformation, but realize that because I didn’t move the waywatchers there is no room. I ask him if I can redo it, but instead of saying yes or no he calls the judges. I offer to just end my phase, but the judges decide that I should get my dice back so what can you do. With those I get off wyssan and iceshard blizzard.

Shooting: Do a wound to the tank.

Combat: I do the KB and AP dance which together with wyssan does quite a lot of damage on D2. I also kill his light mage but in return my mage dies as well, too bad she wasn’t a dragon. No one breaks. 

Empire Turn 5
Movement: Steam tanks fails to reach waywatchers. I think at this point we have totally forgotten about K2, otherwise they just move a bit.

Magic: 7v4+1 – I dispel flesh to stone but he gets regrowth on the demies for 4-5 wounds.

Combat: I kill a bunch of halberdiers with my BSB and the shadowdancers again do quite a lot of wounds on the demies. Miraculously my BSB survives. The halberdiers are steadfast, but the demigryphs break with one model remaining. Sadly I can’t reform as i am engaged on two sides.

Wood Elves turn 5
Movement:We more or less go straight to magic, because of time i totally forget to move my waywatchers to shoot his last demigryph!

Magic: Not sure what spells go through.

Shooting: Fail to kill anything.

Combat: He fails to kill my BSB or the unit.

We must end the game here, and it turns out as a draw with no one being broken.

Post-game
I thought I would be destroyed by his army. Overall I was quite happy about how I played, except for the obvious mistakes at the end. Although I should have killed the demigryphs with my waywatchers he should have gotten points for my BSB, so I guess it equals out a bit. Not sure if charging with my wild riders on first turn was the right thing to do, i could have redirected into his demigryphs but that would be a very long charge and had I failed i would definitely have been caught by the normal knights.

We had a lot of rule debates and I feel that he played slower than me as I told him twice to stop talking strategy on his turn and move along. He was pretty upset about the decision that I could have my dice back from transformation, but I already offered to cancel the spell before the judges arrived. Overall I felt this game was a bit low on the cheerful side and a bit too focused on just winning. I know it is a tournament, but if my opponents forget something obvious I would still let them do it anyway.

Pictures
From the perspective of a (drunk) wood elf
From the perspective of a (drunk) great eagle
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Yeah, that seemed pretty intense.

It seemed a little unlucky that the Waywatchers didn't do more damage here. I also feel Amber Spear would have been very helpful against his Chariots. Losing first turn didn't help. Dwellers is an issue but the five dice casting cap helped here. It looked quite positive that you got drew his scroll early.

The double-flee from his knights was predictable, just a shame you couldn't get the eagle in position to block off his Demigryphs. I'm continually surprised by just how durable your EG plus characters are. They took a lot of punishment but were still there at the end.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

They are really good when the opponent is only hitting on 6's! Should be the same for you if you can get off double curse with your sisters and beast mage, then add 4++ on top of that. ufff. Although, WS5 does ensure that most enemies hit on 4+ per default.

What I was really hoping on was to break the demigryphs and be able to charge his main bunker. Nearly worked out several times too.

EDIT: By the way, didn't roll spear or I would certainly have taken it.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

I have to say I rarely find myself getting off more than one spell per turn. Also I tend to go for aggression if I can, Wildform is a favourite. I am finding the Life buffs like Flesh and Regrowth pretty helpful though.

I failed to roll Amber Spear in my first game when it would have been really handy. We just get on without it I guess. Demis are a pain in the bum. They take ages to kill.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Had I gotten savage beast off, then they would have vaporized. I might have been better off casting small horros and big transformation more often though.
frenchi861
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by frenchi861 »

I have to say, I really like your thread! It's nice to see some combat WE working. I tried the Darkweaver in EG without to much success but the beastweaver with that much charactere sounds fun. I might give it a try someday. But do you think it's possible to do the same in a unit of Sisters? Mounted Beastweaver, with a glade lore, BSB and a Glad Captain?

Anyway, I can't wait to read your other battle report. Thanks a lot for this!
My Blog: http://renowargamingblog.blogspot.com/ Reno's Wargaming Blog (Battle Report, Painting, Showcase...)
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

I run Stag Lord and BSB in Sisters and I've considered adding a Beasts lvl4 on a horse with MR. Being reliably close for Savage Beast is great. It is pretty commital though and you probably need around 10 Sisters and Stubborn Crown to adequately protect three characters. High Magic is a strong rival, for the protection counters. Overall my unit with 7 Sisters is a smaller part of my army and I like having Beasts on foot to use the magic missiles more easily. It's just a question of playstyle I feel.
nXken
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: WE

Post by nXken »

Damn you got lucky with that cannon and tank :D

I was a bit afraid, seen the ton of iron he fields (high armor saves n stuff) but you did very well mate!

Eagerly awaiting G3 :)
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

@frenchi861 - Thanks for the compliments. I don't own any sisters of the thorn models, so I never had the chance to try it out. Phil is the authority when it comes to sisters and combat.

@nXken - The cannon blowing up was nice but not essential, there aren't really any good targets to shoot at. I did get extremely lucky with the tank, that thing is a menace! To be honest, his list scared the crap out of me and I thought he would be able to steam-roll me.

Game 3 and 4 should be up tonight, possibly all 5. I have 4 hours of spare time at my job tonight, so lets see how many games I can finish writing up.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Mollesvinet - 2015-04-25 - London's Burning game 3

Post by Mollesvinet »

Pre-game
Back down to table 7, here I fought against Cianan (spelling?) who came third in the tourney overall. He sported a very tough list with several choices I had never seen before:

Vermin Lord – level 4 destruction, warplightning specialized, glaive, orb of 4+ ward until thrown as a brass orb
Grey Seer – level 4 plague, 2 tokens, 4+ ward, power scroll
Chieftain – BSB, halberd
Engineer – level 1 destruction, dispel scroll
Engineer – doom rocket
Engineer - ?
50 slaves – champ and mus
40 slaves – champ and mus
30 slaves – champ and mus
40 stormvermin – full command, stormbanner
3 Stormfiends – grenade launchers
3 Stormfiends – miniguns
Warp-lightning cannon

For spells we had:
Seer – 13th, blessing of filth, plague, undeath rise spell
Vermin Lord – Death frenzy, scorch, warp-lightning bolt, ?
Engineer – cracks call
Druid – Curse, transformation, amber spear, wyssan
Diviner – Chain, blizzard, thunderbolt, comet

On to deployment: 

Deployment
Amendment: Two of the engineers were actually in S1.

This was the same table that i played against the warriors of chaos on. Dangerous terrain in top right, two hills in the middle, two buildings near me. I put my venom thicket in the middle and the other two forests are normal. The stormfiends behind his stormvermin are the ones with grenade launchers attached. My thought here was to take out the verminlord quickly, then focus on his stormfiends as they are only T4 with no armour and finally get into his stormvermin for the win. The buildings was to work as a funnel, keeping the slaves away. I had the +1 to go first and got it.

Wood Elves Turn 1
Movement: He activates the storm-banner. I move up to amber spear his vermin lord but try to stay away from his storm fiends.

Magic: 6+1v4 – 4d amber spear is scrolled from the start, this basically ends my magic phase.

Shooting: I manage 3 wounds on the vermin lord, he was saved by the banner.

Skaven Turn 1
Movement: Banner luckily continues in his turn. He moves just about everything up full speed.

Magic: 3+1v2 – he casts warplightning on my waywatchers with one die but roll a 6, i spend both my dice to dispel it. He then uses some tokens to cast plague on my EG and i choose to scroll it, mainly of fear that it will jump to my GG as well.

Shooting:Two of the grenade launcher guys are allowed to shoot (apparently they test for each model) and one gets a direct hit, killing 5 eternal guard. The minigun guys needs 7+ to hit, but due to the insane number of shots he still kills 5 eternal guard... I wasn’t happy.

Wood Elves Turn 2
Movement: The storm-banner ends! My wild riders charge the flank of his slaves which he holds,I then charge the front with my EG (to avoid enemy fire!) but he uses his doom-rocket as stand and shoot. This took me completely by surprise, I didn’t know it could be used like that. Of course it lands perfectly on my guys and kills another 10.... I also move up WR1 to threaten stuff, this was a mistake as he can now shot them next turn.

Magic: 7v4 – I cast comet on 3 dice and he lets me have it. I then cast both blizzard and wyssan, but he manages to dispel both of them (I rolled very low).

Shooting: Vermin Lord dies to shooting, but it took all of my shots.

Combat: I go directly for the slaves, leaving the characters alone. This means that he can’t target my unit and works towards him not being steadfast (plus reduces damage of slave explosion). They don’t break this turn.

Skaven Turn 2
Movement: He moves stuff up, the stormvermin get dangerously close to my glade guard.

Magic: 6+1v5+1 – The comet strikes, it kills a grenade launcher guy, 7 stormvermin and 7 slaves. The grenade guys panic! He casts plague with 4 dice and I dispel it with all 6 of mine. He then uses the power scroll along with 3 or 4 dice to cast 13th on the GG and gets IF. A small explosion kills 8 stormvermin, but the seer saves his wound. I lose like 16 GG but they don’t panic.

Shooting: The cannon misses whatever it was shooting at (probably my diviner) but the miniguns easily wipe my wild riders. Stupid mistake by me.

Combat: All slaves and characters are killed, I reform EG towards stormvermin but WR towards the top slaves.

Wood Elves Turn 3
Movement: EG charge the stormvermin in the flank and WR charges the slaves. All my skirmishers moves to target the minigun stormfiends and my eagle has made it to get near the cannon (forgot to show on the last diagrams). Glade guard seeks refuge in the building.

Magic: 8v4 – I cast wyssans wild form with 3 dice on the EG and he lets me have it or fails to dispel. I then try for a big transformation but fails the casting roll by 1! I should have just gone for the black hydra, as I was fighting against T3 with low armour.

Shooting: I manage to kill a minigun stormfiend with bowfire, this turns out to be a mistake as you will see in the next turn.

Combat: I kill a bunch of stormvermin and an engineer. The wild riders kill enough slaves to make them break, I needed like 9 or 10 to overrun into the stormfiends but only get a 7. Very disappointed.

Skaven Turn 3
Movement: Grenade stormfiends rally. Minigun stormfiend is now a single model, so it pivots to face my wild riders.

Magic: 3v2+1 – he wants to cast warplightning at my GG, but i remind him he can’t cast magical missiles. Now that I think about it, the spells in the skaven book are not classed but I think this is still fair enough. He tries to raise some undead but fails to cast.

Shooting:The cannon targets my building but only score a single hit that takes out a glade guard. He needed 4 hits to hit my mage and 3 to take out the unit, so that was pretty lucky. The minigun guy fires at the wild riders, but I manage to save a lot and “only” take 3 wounds.

Combat: Stormvermin slowly running out of bodies, he passes his break test and reforms to face me but keeps the seer out of combat.

Wood Elves Turn 4
Movement: My wild riders try to charge the grenade launcher guys, surely such powerful shooters are easier to deal with in close combat right? The eagle also charges the cannon. With the cannon engaged, I leave my glade guard in the building. This is bad play!

Magic: 8v4+1 – I cast curse on the stormvermin I think. Then I try for another big transformation and get IF. Only bad result would be dimensional cascade, and that is what I get. I blow up most of my EG, a shadowdancer takes a wound but the other one wards it. The big roll to see whether the dragon stays on the table is disappointing, as the ancient fire dragon gets sucked into the warp.

Shooting: The last minigun guy dies.

Combat:Wild riders roll poorly to hit and fails to take out even a single grenade guy, they in return wipe the rest of the wild riders. Even though he is down to about 7 stormvermin they still manage to kill the last of my eternal guard and a dancer I believe. This means that I have only the BSB and a dancer remaining (both on one wound). He reforms to face my building, uh oh.

Skaven Turn 4
Movement: Move stormfiends forward.

Magic: 9+1v6 – He casts plague into the combat between the stormvermin and my characters, I let it go as I have my magic resistance. My BSB pass his 4++ ward but the dancer fails his 3++ ward and dies. His BSB takes a wound though. He then casts 13th on my glade guard, gets IF and turns them into rats. This wouldn’t have happened if they had just left the building in my turn. Bad play. Can’t remember the result of his miscast, but nothing too interesting.

Shooting: One grenade scatters from my waywatchers, great right? Nope, it hits the other waywatchers dead on killing 6. The second grenade hits the first unit, killing 6 as well.

Combat:My BSB manages to kill his BSB! The stormvermin misses him, but his grey seer hits with his single attack, wounds and I fail my armour save.

We are out of time at this point. I think I would have been able to kill his seer with bowfire and that would probably have been it. As it was we were both broken, but he won 7-13.

Post-Game
I work night shift, so I only had about 4 hours of sleep before going here. I was extremely tired during this game and some of the other players had gotten a lot to drink, so they were screaming and running around in underpants. Usually I wouldn’t have been bothered, but I must have looked a bit angry and/or frustrated at this point.

Overall I felt that I played the game well enough, except for a few obvious mistakes. I learnt that those stormfiends are not to be taken lightly, they can easily destroy whole units given the right circumstance. Big mistake was going for the big dragon, had I turned into a black hydra I could probably have won the central battle and still survived with my mage and BSB. Second big mistake was not leaving the building, I simply forgot that he might be able to cast 13th out of combat by reforming and was too lazy to deal with it.

Dimensional cascades are never nice. If I had to run the list again, I would probably change the power stone and the fencers blades into earthing rod and maybe toughness potion. Both savage beast bubble and boosted transformation takes a lot of dice, and dimensional cascade can destroy the whole unit and the mage herself.

Hope you enjoyed the read. In the next game I was down to table 12 and was facing a terrible Chaos Dwarfs army. Until next time!

Pictures
Fuzzy deployment (scouts not deployed yet)
The rats are engaged in battle
Last edited by Mollesvinet on 01 May 2015, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Mollesvinet - 2015-04-25 - London's Burning game 3&4

Post by Mollesvinet »

Pre-game
So down some tables, I believe it was table 12. I had a good long sleep and felt well prepared for the next games. I faced off against Chris and his chaos dwarfs. His list was packed with templates (with dwarf rerolls) and he also had a fireball mage, this meant big problems for me:

Mage Lord – Level 4 death, ?
Mage Hero – Level 1 fire, dispel scroll
Hero – BSB, ?
Goblin hero – wolf, ?
Bull? Hero - ?
25 infernal guard – full command
40 goblin archers
3 bulls? – full command
Hell cannon
2 hell shriekers (S3 large template, if it scatters off a unit then it moves artillery die towards nearest unit)
K’Dai

Spells:
Death – spirit leech, caress, soulblight, doom&darkness
Fire – fireball
Druid – Wyssan, amber spear, transformation, savage beast
Diviner – Blizzard, thunderbolt, comet, harmonic convergence

On to deployment:

Deployment
Terrain is pretty self-explanatory. The middle forest is mine and the top left ruins are impassable. My first concern was his K’Dai and his warmachines. I felt that if i could sneak around his flank i could take out the shriekers with WR and a couple of comets and lightning bolts should take out the cannon. From there I could shoot at him while he came to me. WR2 were the ones with the flaming banner, so obviously I couldn’t attack his K’dai with those. 

Chaos Dwarfs Turn 1
Movement: The K’Dai thunders forward with its movement of 9. The wolf goblin blocks my wild riders. His blocks move forward a bit, but not too far.

Magic: 7+1v4+1 – He casts big fireball on my waywatchers and I wonder whether to use the scroll already. I decide to let him have it and they die. He then casts doom and darkness on the GG, and I knew all game that i could not afford to let this spell through considering the hell cannon.

Shooting: The template rain begins. A shrieker hits my eternal guard killing 5, the other scatters onto the eagle (rerolled misfire) but because the eagle is hit it cannot heat-seek back on the GG. The hell cannon hits the glade guard and kill 6.

Wood Elves Turn 1
Movement: WR1 moves around to threaten the hell cannon. WR2 passes their frenzy check but fails march test, this means they will be delayed 1 turn to take out the hell shriekers. The eagle and a unit of scouts attempt to block the k’dai for a turn (not optimal block due to movement range)

Magic: 6v5 – He dispels comet with dice and uses scroll on my amber spear at the K’dai.

Shooting: Shooting takes out the goblin wolf hero and does a couple of wounds to the bulls.

Chaos Dwarfs Turn 2
Movement: K’dai charges my scouts and I hold, but I fail the terror test which allows him to redirect into the eternal guard. Sad panda. The bulls swift reform and moves back to deal with WR1.

Magic: 11+1v6 – I dispel doom and darkness and he fails to cast the big fireball.

Shooting: A shrieker kills 2 wild riders but the other scatters off. The hell cannon takes out 3 glade guard (rolled many 1’s to wound).

Combat: The K’dai takes a single wound from the mage, but kills a lot of eternal guard. I pass the break test. 

Wood Elves Turn 2
Movement: Both wild riders move around to threaten his units. The scouts flee the battle, damn cowards.

Magic: 8v5 – I get IF on bubble savage beast, the miscast is a feedback that wounds my diviner.

Shooting: I do a wound or two to the bulls, removing a model.

Combat: The K’dai survives with 1 wound remaining, due to some unlucky hit rolls and the rerolls to wound against it. Not many EG remains. 

Chaos Dwarfs Turn 3
Movement: He fails his toughness test on the k’dai, and it dies. Goblin archers move towards my wild riders and the bulls reform again. His main bunker reforms toward WR2.

Magic: 12v6 – I dispel doom and darkness. Fireball on WR2 is scrolled. He cast caress on a wild rider and kills him, getting back a die but fails to cast spirit leech.

Shooting: A shrieker kills a wild rider on the left. Another shrieker scatters a bit but still kills 2 waywatchers. Finally the hell cannon kills the last 2 eternal guard and both shadowdancers.

Wood Elves Turn 3
Movement: Because I lost a wild rider in WR1 I could now sneak through his line to engage his hell cannon, it required a roll of 9 but I got it. WR2 easily makes it into the shriekers. The druid and BSB moves to the glade guard for safety.

Magic: 9v5 – he dispels comet. I fail to cast thunderbolt on bulls due to wacky dice.

Shooting: I wound a bull and kill some goblins.

Combat:My wild riders kill a crew and does a wound on the cannon itself (believe he saved a couple) but he only kills 2 of my wild riders, so at least he won’t be shooting next turn. The hell shrieker is easily destroyed and I overrun into the other. 

Chaos Dwarfs Turn 4
Movement: Bulls change their minds again and move towards me. Infernal guard reform to look towards my glade guard.

Magic: 8v5 – I fail to dispel fireball, even if I have three more wizard levels and we both used 5 dice... the other waywatchers die as a result. He also cast soulblight on my wild riders.

Shooting: No shooting, what a bliss!

Combat: Last hell shrieker is destroyed and I overrun into the infernal guard’s flank. 

Wood Elves Turn 4
Movement: I move a bit backwards with the glade guard to gain some ground on the goblins.

Magic: 6v5 – I cast comet on IF and get a dimensional cascade! I lose 4 glade guard but my mage stays in this realm. Should have cast a big comet, as I was putting a lot of dice into it.

Shooting: Kill a few goblins.

Combat: I lose 4 wild riders, but kill enough to win combat and keep my frenzy. I deal a wound to his BSB who is on the flank. 

Chaos Dwarfs Turn 5
Movement: Goblins and bulls march forward.

Magic: 4v2 – the comet strikes but only does 2 wounds to the cannon and 5 wounds to the dwarfs due to low number of hits. He cast soulblight again on a low roll, but I roll double 1 to dispel.

Shooting: The hell cannon kills 3 GG and my BSB, but I pass the panic.

Combat: He kills my wild riders, but they take his BSB with them into the abyss. 

Wood Elves Turn 5
Movement: Move the glade guard sideways, to get out of the bulls sight.

Magic:9v6 – he dispels comet but I get thunderbolt on his cannon. I roll low for hits and only do 1 wound to it, it must be at 1 wound remaining at this point.

Shooting: May have killed some goblins here.

Chaos Dwarfs Turn 6
Movement: He realizes the bulls won’t reach anything, but for some reason reforms them sideways. I think to myself “Yes! Next turn I can run out my Druid and amber spear down the flank for a lot of points!”.

Magic: 7v6 – he fails to cast big fireball and I dispel the rest.

Shooting: His goblins kill a single glade guard but the hell cannon hits and I fail my panic test and run of the board on his last turn.

Wood Elves Turn 6
Movement: Scouts move to try and put the last wound on cannon.

Shooting: Fail

This one ended 20-0 in his favour.

Post-game
Ouch, what a painful game. The rerolls on hell cannon made sure it hit every single turn, which was very painful indeed! Defending against his magic was so difficult, due to the number of dice he put into fireball and the fact that failing to dispel doom and darkness would cost me a whole unit. I was a bit upset that my scouts fled so that his K’dai could charge the EG, but it turned out okay as I pummelled him with savage beast.

I think I had okay chances with my strategy and had I been able to kill the hell cannon earlier then I could have won. I am curious to hear how you would have played this match.

Pictures
I forgot to take pictures at all this game.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

The Skaven game seemed to be a lot about the Stormfiends Thomas. Did your opponent have the option to 'deep strike' them at all? Your Scout deployments looked pretty good to me at first but I wonder if you could have targeted the miniguns instead? In my game against Skaven the Storm Banner lasted four player turns!

Overall I too think you played OK. It's sometimes hard to get past the Skaven toys if they're working well. This guy was an ETC player too, so no mug. I was talking to the head ref about the drinking problem and it was stressing him out. Maybe that's why Ill Blood was a bit more laid back!

Poison seems to work quite well against K'daai but you didn't get much time to use it here. They simply murder infantry, not least because of Burning Body but you had your characters here. I just feel it was a difficult match-up because his spells hurt and the templates hit a lot.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Hey Phil,

yeah if I had to replay the game I would definitely put more shots into his stormfiends. Maybe waywatchers versus fiends and scouts versus vermin lord.

The chaos dwarfs was just a horrible match up. Although I lost big, I still felt like the plan was okay, if only the cannon would have died things would look good as I would only fear fireball after that. I guess i could have stormed my EG after his goblins and hopefully get to his bunker, but that would be a far-shot considering the incoming damage and leaving my GG to the K'dai.
Last edited by Mollesvinet on 01 May 2015, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.