Mollesvinet - 2016-06-27 - Call to War 2016 List

Here is the place for all your reports of battles against those who seek to defile our sacred glades.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Mollesvinet - 2015-05-24 - Tour list idea vs undead

Post by Mollesvinet »

@NonnoSte: Well, for BotWD helms i would never want my dragon in there as both dragon and rider has magical attacks. Much safer to shoot with waywatchers and hopefully sweep up with wild riders. As for other cavalry, most cavalry has 2+ armour save which will be a 5+ with S6, so not a big deal really. As mentioned, I think the shard can really make a big difference! Rerollable 1+ armour saves are a pain, but I will try to remove obnoxious characters with magic before commiting the dragon or at least make sure to have a champion available to take a challenge from such a character.

@Aezeal: There are many targets a dragon could deal with. Basically I hope to sweep up the flank or behind enemy lines to threaten multiple targets. A dragon could also reliably take out a hell cannon, skull cannons, iron blaster and such things. Could also go hunting for mage bunkers with level 4's in the back field. Many options, as long as he survives the cannonballs.
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: All kind of Elves.

Post by NonnoSte »

Oh, right. Forest Spirit!
What a blessing, at least it also gains the... no, GW tought a 6++ was OP on a Dragon, never mind.

I forgot completely about magical attacks.
Actually, if your targets are those you listed, Ogre Blade+OTS wins over Obsidian Blade everyday.
Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable to use a Dragon to hunt Hellcannons or Skullcannons. If you can charge them, it means the turn before they could shot you.

I have to decide myself to buy a Dragon and give it a try (or borrow my wife's Black Dragon and pretend it's just darker green). Our local shop is still selling GW 3x2 so I could get a pair of brand new ones and leave the third for my High Elves.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

I'd rather keep an open mind about what to charge with the dragon to be honest, depends on the game really, but those are some tougher targets.

Generally I would go for small tough units without characters or medium sized units with only important characters (level 4 or bsb for example). If charging a bigger unit it would be along with preferably wild riders or even sisters on a flank.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Mollesvinet - 2015-11-07 - First 9th game 2v2 3K total

Post by Mollesvinet »

Haven't been writing for a long time as I have been busy with work. Did play a few tournaments, but with everyone focusing on different things in wargaming it was hard to find the energy to write reports about it. In any case, I will have my first 9th game tomorrow and I was thinking to do a report about it for discussion.

It will be 1500pts wood elves and 1500pts ogres VERSUS 1500pts daemons of chaos and 1500pts warriors of chaos

I have no idea what lists everyone else will bring, but I hope my ogre buddy will bring a mage because what I have is:

Lords 22,0%
Ancient Treant Avatar of nature, beast-bane halberd, aspect of clinging Wine 330

Heroes 11,7%
Forest Captain Bladedancer kindred, BSB, giant sword 175

Core 26,0%
10 Grove Guard Trueshot arrows 140

10 Grove Guard Trueshot arrows 140

8 dryads Skirmish, champion 110

Special 26,9%
7 Bladedancers Champ, standard, warden's standard 158

6 wild huntsmen Shields, natural armour, standard, banner of fire 246

Rare 13,3%
5 pathfinders 100

5 pathfinders 100

Total 1499

Was considering blessed sword on the treeman, but I figured that against infantry he has stomps so double wounds against monstrous things and +1S would be quite good. With S8 rerolls to wounds shouldn't change a lot, and while they will save more wounds they may take double damage from the wounds that go through. Wardancer kindred is pretty wicked, with giant sword the guy will hit like a ton of bricks! A wardancer as a BSB, I will imagine him fighting with the banner as a boa staff or something. Bit expensive to get swiftstride on the bladedancers, but I figured a failed charge would result in quite a lot of points not going to work.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Mollesvinet - 2015-11-08 - Battle Report 9th 1500 WE vs CW

Post by Mollesvinet »

Hello everyone,

First game of 9th is over and it was a lot of fun. Two of the guys did not show up, so instead of 2v2 we took a simple 1500pts game with no additional missions or special deployment. Because of this I changed my list slightly, I basically removed a unit of waywatchers and all champions to get a level 2 enchantress on heavens.
Chris my opponent rocked up with “chaos warriors”, or wastelanders as I think they are called now. For this report I will mainly use the original terms to avoid confusion (mainly my own). My opponents list was as follows:

Chaos Lord – good armour save, 4+ regen, magic spear that gave poison and +1S among other things
Sorcerer – vanilla level 2 on fire (fireball and ember)
29 warriors of chaos – nurgle (-1ws to enemy), halberds
4 brutes – weapon mastery (free choice of weapons each turn)
Chariot
War shrine – 4+ ward, windblast bound spell and 5+ ward vs shooting to all units within 12”
Spawn – ambush
Spawn – ambush
Hellcannon – no handlers in 9th but no out of control test. Frenzy at LD4, small template S4(9) causes panic on any casualties but no minuses

For spells I had comet and blizzard. I got to choose side:

Deployment

We had simple terrain. 2 walls, a hill, 2 rivers and I placed my forest in the middle.
Deployment has changed a lot, basically you can deploy as many units as you want each time it is your turn. When you finish deployment before your enemy you don’t get +1 as before, but add a number to your dice equal to the opponents number of undeployed units at the time.

He started with a single chariot. I followed with 2 glade guard units. He then decided he wanted first turn, so deployed the rest. At +4 (or +5 if my scout units count) he got the first turn, but I got to deploy almost my whole army knowing the location of his units. Interesting bargain. My avatar hid behind the hill, as it obscures vision for his cannon. Wild riders prepared to go around the flank and waywatchers went to poison up his cannon. I put my enchantress in the wardancers fearing ambush, but that turned out to be a bad decision. 

Chaos Warriors Turn 1

Movement: As the brutes were in the river they couldn’t march, but just moved. Chaos warriors marched and the warshrine followed them. The chariot went after my waywatchers.

Magic: 5+1v3 – I dispel fireball versus wardancers with 3 dispel dice vs 3 power dice. He manages to cast ember on the brutes and the fire attribute now gives d3 S4 hits on a target within 24” which killed 2 wardancers.

Shooting: His hellcannon puts a perfect hit on my glade guard, but somehow 4 survive and don’t panic on an 8 (phew, no minuses anymore)

Wood Elves Turn 1

Movement: Everything moves up to get away from the edges, except the waywatchers as they have to get out of chariot arc of sight. To be honest, I could have gotten them further from the edge but somehow forgot he could ambush from the side. Enchantress leaves the unit and wardancers enter forest to be stubborn.

Magic: 4v2 – I cast 4 dice at comet but fail by 1.

Shooting: The trueshot glade guard manage to put 2 wounds on the warshrine somehow. Waywatchers put 2 wounds on cannon with poison, but he wards both.

Chaos Warriors Turn 2

Movement: Brutes charge the avatar of nature, but fails rolling 7 when needing 9. Warshrine backs off and chariot moves to protect warriors. The warriors reform to keep both wild riders and wardancers in front arc (not clear on diagram, sorry). Both ambushers fail to arrive, and I realize my mistake with the waywatchers. Phew.

Magic: 8v6 – 4d ember on warriors go off with a high cast. I decide to let it go and he mentions attribute at my enchantress. I stick to my decision hoping she will survive, but she dies. He then fails a 3d fireball on wardancers and stops the magic phase.

Shooting: He aims for the avatar of nature, but scatters and kills two wardancers instead.

Wood Elves Turn 2

Movement: I charge his brutes with dryads and wardancers, bot make it. Avatar leaves them alone as they are infantry but immune to stomps, so not optimal for the avatar with his loadout. I realize I can frenzy bait the cannon, so keeps my waywatchers on a double 6 charge for the hellcannon. I restrain the wild riders and promptly forget about ambushers again…

Shooting: Shooting does one wound to chariot! Not on diagram it seems.

Combat: I go for the attack dance, and the hero starts out doing 4 wounds to the brutes. Wardancers add another 4 wounds. Finally his two last ogres strike simultaneously as the dryads, but I pass all saves and dryads take another model off. They flee and both my units pursue into the chariot, catching the last brute in the process. 

Chaos Warriors Turn 3

Movement: He counter charges with his warshrine and hellcannon. So much for my clever frenzy baiting. One spawn shows up and charges with his random move into the flank of wild riders. Finally chaos warriors swift reform and goes toward the avatar of nature!

Magic: 4v3 – he curses himself for letting my waywatchers outside his mages arc. He manages to cast ember on the chariot, but the fire attribute fails to do anything. Think he put it on glade guard.

Combat: I do the ward dance to avoid impact hits and grind from warshrine. Wardancer hero does 1 wound to his chariot as he saves 2 or 3 of them on ember ward. He also saves a wound from wardancers, but dryads push a wound through on cannon. Chariot crew and cannon manage to kill 3 dryads but warshrine fails to wound at all. In the end I win by 2 and the warshrine runs away.
The wild rider fails to wound the spawn, but his deer does a wound to it. In return I manage to save all except 1 wound. In the end I lose by 1 and pass my break test. I reform to face but lost my frenzy. Not sure if the LD penalty from fear kicks in at this point, but I am pretty sure it would not have mattered. 

Wood Elves Turn 3

Movement: Avatar of nature charges the warriors. Waywatchers move back to avoid hellcannon in case it kills the dryads (forgot to remove 3 from last combat). GG1 moves into range of warshrine.

Shooting: Fail to wound the warshrine with shooting.

Combat: The wild riders fail their fear test and fails to wound, but the spawn only does 2 attacks and fails to penetrate the wild riders armour.

The chariot is ripped to pieces and somehow the hellcannon only manages to kill a single dryad! Wardancers reform to face warriors as they are now out of combat.

His chaos lord challenges my avatar, the two duke it out and deals a wound to each other. I lose combat but pass my breaktest. 

Chaos Warriors Turn 4

Movement: Second spawn fails to arrive yet again! Shrine rallies.

Magic: 3v2 – he casts ember on the spawn hoping to stall my wild riders and I fail to stop it. Attribute kills 2 waywatchers, but they pass panic on BSB reroll.

Combat: His lord does another wound to the avatar, but I stomp him into the ground. I think I still lost combat, but stay around.

Hellcannon finally decimate the dryads and reform to face the rear of the bladedancers.
The spawn dies to my wild riders even with ember on (fire banner can be switched off now) and I reform to face rear of his chaos warriors. 

Wood Elves Turn 4

Movement: Wild riders and wardancers charge his warriors.

Shooting: Shooting deals another 2 wounds to his warshrine, leaving it on a single wound.

Combat: Things get bloody now! His sorcerer challenge, and I wonder whether to take it with avatar or wardancer BSB. I decide on my BSB to get stomps into combat. I do the ward save dance and do about 2 or 3 wounds to his sorcerer. He kills 1 wardancer and 3 wild riders but has very poor luck against the avatar.
Hitting on 4+ he only gets 2 hits out of 16 attacks, but at least one of them go through! In return I kill about 15 warriors, but they remain steadfast with a single rank. Fear reduces his LD to 7 but he still passes.
We have to stop at this point due to time as he has to meet up with some friends.

Conclusion
A comfortable win to me, but boy was he unlucky! I did feel on top of the game, as he deployed so compactly I could easily move around him. Overall the rules worked well, especially the attributes of the spells were interesting (although i never got a spell off). A few things I noticed though:

Sometimes I felt my characters were a bit over the top. I mean, S8 treeman and S8 wardancer hero chopping heads off like there is no tomorrow. Chris pointed out that while the wardancer has ward save he has no armour and T3, so I guess it balances out. Still, maybe reducing the +3 magic weapons for heroes is not sensible after all in my opinion. The changes to flammable are GOOD news to the treemen, instead of doubling wounds the enemy gets to reroll failed wounds. It isn't great, but still a lot better than before.

I did not have many waywatchers, but getting to choose arrows was really cool. Movement penalty on trueshot arrows was annoying, but fair enough and made me have to think more about movement. Wild riders were pretty much the same, although the extra pip of armour really made a big difference! Wardancers were solid, although giving them access to shields is strange to me. I would rather they kept two hand weapons and could pay extra points for “distracting “ as that is basically what you get with the shield.

We probably made several rule mistakes, so please point them out so we can improve! Also I realized I should have saved the ward save dance for when the hellcannon charged in next turn, but it turned out not to matter as we stopped the game. Also, secondary objectives will be hard for us to get as they require units with banners but without swiftstride.

Pictures
Deployment (disregard spawns on hill)
Squaring off
Sylvan Elves on the offensive
The Avatar of Nature unleashed
Chaos warriors surrounded!
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Re: Mollesvinet - 2015-11-08 - Battle Report 9th 1500 WE vs

Post by Billthesurly »

As usual, another excellent BR from Mr. Mollesvinet. Great to see a new battle report going up here and very nice to see that 9th age seems to be working out well. Old salts like me are going to have to get used to yet another style of play for yet another rules version but I am glad to see that there is nothing too earth shattering in 9th age. Besides, learning new rules gives me a reason to go on living and keeps me young at heart. :D

In particular - I see that the ambushing Spawn can enter the board and charge into combat in the same turn. Yikes! Let that happen a couple of times and it won't be soon forgotten. However I see that your Wild Hunters manged to arrive where they were needed, when they were needed after all.

Looks like the freakin Hellcannon has finally been tweaked down into something manageable. About time too. (In a similar vein - the 9th age boys seem to have put aside this notion that has plagued GW forever - specifically the idea that Chaos is somehow supposed to win in the end so all Chaos armies are just naturally more powerful.)

Nerfed Trueflights probably needed to happen. (I say that because they were far and away my favorite arrow and I used the heck out of them! :evil: ) I once suggested that Trueflights should ignore the first two or three negative modifiers but this will do.

I really like the new deployment rules. I have gotten so used to going second anyway that it hardly matters to me any more. But the fact that I can see my enemy's army totally deployed before I even begin to put out my main force units is pretty sweet. Conversely - If I decide I really, must, gotta go first I can plunk down all my units first and do the same.

Wild Riders (Hunters) seem to still be the mac-daddies that they were in 8th ed. I would have been seriously disappointed if after waiting all these years for some useful cavalry they had been discontinued/nerfed to death so soon after being acquired. Kind of like the Universe just messing with us.

I will take the time here to state that while I have no animus toward Age of Sigmar, joy and happiness to everyone who likes it, that style of game is not what I signed up for and then spent 25 years collecting, converting and painting miniatures to play. I want a mass combat wargame and 9th Age fills that bill. I will also say (because I am after all Bill The Surly) that I am not at all thrilled with GW for pulling the rug out from under me AGAIN! They did this with my Space Dwarves over 20 years ago - disappeared them with a handwave - and now they have done it again with my favorite fantasy wargame. No, Bill is not in a happy place with GW right now.

Ah. That feels better. Thanks again for the bat rep. Guess I will continue to see some of the old crowd around here after all. :thumbsup:
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Hi Bill,

thanks for the reply, your comments are always valued.

About the spawn charging from ambush: We were not 100% sure if this was allowed or not, but since it has random movement that what we went with.

One thing that hurts wild riders is the dissappearance of ASF. If they are fighting anything I6+ they are in real trouble of being dessimated before delivering. In this case they were fighting I5 which meant they delivered their payload, but the enemy gets to punch them at full strength. Only fair I suppose.

EDIT: Also in extension of what you were talking about. I am starting to consider 9th Age as a kind of revolution against GW. I like that sort of stuff, makes me like 9th even more. Power to the people and all that! :D
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

OK so I've now read enough of the rules to be happy commenting!

Strange isn't it to see such a murderous BSB! Normally this guy's job is to stay alive! Chaos Chariots going down to T4 (and AS down to 4+ I believe?) looks important as does Warriors being I4 now, though the Chaos player has ways of adjusting Initiative. I'm surprised they didn't just make the Brutes Monstrous Infantry, maybe that would have been too powerful, the new rules complicate the game though.

The new deployment rules do indeed seem to make you think. The latest version (.4!) of the Warriors list counts all models as Impassable Terrain for Ambushing Spawn, so they can't charge. I believe the intent is to permit normal movement only, as Compulsory Moves Phase is before Ambushers arrive. Flammable does look less awful now, a Treeman actually has a good chance of surviving Searing Doom!

In general I believe 1500pt games slightly favour the guy with more shooting but he had some Ambushers, the Hellcannon and some very solid units which you got stuck into anyway Thomas! Might it have been worth deploying the Trueflight in single rank vs the templates? Both wizards were modest but still had some effect on the game.

GW are soon apparently reintroducing some of the Specialist Games. Surely by this stage they are trolling us?

:)
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Phil Rossiter wrote:Strange isn't it to see such a murderous BSB! Normally this guy's job is to stay alive! Chaos Chariots going down to T4 (and AS down to 4+ I believe?) looks important as does Warriors being I4 now, though the Chaos player has ways of adjusting Initiative. I'm surprised they didn't just make the Brutes Monstrous Infantry, maybe that would have been too powerful, the new rules complicate the game though.
Didn't know their initiative had dropped, we played them at initiative 5 (even though it didn't change alot of things. Chaos chariots are easier to deal with now for sure, but the bsb with S8 went through most things. In the new release he no longer gets +1S for being a wardancer, but at S7 it is still very decent. The bladedancer kindred basically gets you 4+ ward without magical items which opens up offense instead. Yes you don't get armour, but most things nearly negate armour anyways. The brutes were a bit strangely worded I agree, and my treeman ancient did not like this as he neither got stomps or double wounds. Now he won't get a magical weapon in the new release, so no need to worry about the double wounds at least.
Phil Rossiter wrote:The new deployment rules do indeed seem to make you think. The latest version (.4!) of the Warriors list counts all models as Impassable Terrain for Ambushing Spawn, so they can't charge. I believe the intent is to permit normal movement only, as Compulsory Moves Phase is before Ambushers arrive. Flammable does look less awful now, a Treeman actually has a good chance of surviving Searing Doom!
I still think the deployment rules are a bit strange. I like the idea of deploying multiple units, but maybe it should be 1-3 units instead. Currently if you get the first deployment you can just deploy your whole army and automatically go first. If it was 1-3 the other player would have the choice of trying to keep up with deployments or give away the first turn to get complete information about the enemies deployment. Not charging from ambush is good, it was a bit over the top in my opinion!

Phil Rossiter wrote:In general I believe 1500pt games slightly favour the guy with more shooting but he had some Ambushers, the Hellcannon and some very solid units which you got stuck into anyway Thomas! Might it have been worth deploying the Trueflight in single rank vs the templates? Both wizards were modest but still had some effect on the game.
Good point on the archer ranks. My trays are magnetized so sometimes I get lazy (but in this case I just didn't think about it). 30 eternal guard however... so much work! His wizard did much more than mine, which was mostly my own fault. The 5+ ward spell saved his chariot. Good thing the banner of eternal flame can be switched off now, otherwise his spawn would have been immortal to my wild riders on the turn it died. A level 4 could have been very dangerous to my army, so in the future more magic support would be prefered (or more competent protection of the level 2 if nothing else).
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

My experience of characters relying mainly on a 4+ Ward is they are fine for a round or two but will go down to massed attacks in a long combat. I guess this is a big plus for 1+ armour, that you can largely shrug off rank and file attacks. I agree that winning first drop shouldn't guarantee first turn. I'm interested in exploring the possibilities of aided casting/dispelling. I ran a very effective hero-level magic phase with High Elves in 7th, so might see if something comparable can be done.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Mollesvinet - 2016-02-03 - 9th Cardiff GT list

Post by Mollesvinet »

Hello everyone that is still around.

Haven't played much recently, but I am signed up for a tournament here in February (20-21), the Cardiff GT 2016:

http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic ... 3&t=131474

I have only tried out the concept of the list once and did a few changes based on that. List is as follows:
Treefather Ancient; Avatar of nature, Entangling vines, treesinging 345

Forest Prince (General); Great Elk; Wild hunter, innate defense 6+, light armour, Ogre blade, shield, light armour, Ancient Brooch, Divine Icon, Dragonscale Helm, longbow, 316

Chieftain; Elven Steed; Battle Standard, Bow of Wyscan, Obsidian Pebble, Lance, innate defense 6+, hardened shield, light armour, 175

Dryad Matriarch; Level 1, Entwined roots (dryads), Lore of wilderness, 85

13 Dryads; +1S, skirmish, champion, 217

6 heath riders; Banner, mounts protection 5+, longbows, musician, 128

10 Sylvan Archers; Black arrows, Musician, 130

10 Sylvan Archers; Black arrows, Musician, 130

7 Wild Huntsmen; Shields, mount protection +5, full command, flaming standard, 295

5 sylvan sentinels; hawthorn points, scout, banner, 95

7 Briar Maidens; Full Command, banner of speed, 283

5 pathfinders; 100

5 pathfinders; 100

Army Total: 2399
Observations:

-The elk lord is a total beast!
-Avatar of nature does good damage with S7 attacks and thunderstomps, even though he has low ward save the toughness and sprite helps him. Treesinging is medipak.
-BSB works nicely with 2d6 poison shots, but without fast cavalry he has reduced movement even with the horse.
-Matriarch is mainly there to boost dryads. Took spear last time but it is not really worth it due to high cost of S10 spear. Will go for low cast spells.
-Dryads are pretty solid, especially as long as the matriarch is alive. S5 with hatred is not to be taken lightly!
-Heath riders taken to hold objectives, can work as bunker for BSB if enemy has no light shooting and magic
-Banner on sentinels was a mistake, it was taken to hold objectives but won't work as they have free reform
-Maidens are good. They now have a decent magic missile and curse which is always good.
-In the future it would probably be better to get two eagles instead of the extra 5 pathfinders
-Without sentinels I have 2 units that can hold objectives. Joining the BSB to a non swift reform unit will get me another one.

Comments welcome.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Mollesvinet - 2016-02-03 - 9th Cardiff GT list

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Interesting list Thomas.

Shooting is decent, list is pretty fast and it hits hard. With Wizard Conclave, is it only the Champion who can cast spells? You've gone light on magic defence, presumably you're not that worried? I agree the Lord looks very hard, as I said in the other thread I think the key is getting him into the right combats. One thing I like is you have a choice of units if you want to switch the mounted characters around. The Avatar looks seriously hard to me, especially if he's healing.

Given you drifted away from eagles in 8th, what's the reasoning for going back to them in 9th Age?
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

I think eagles are always useful to have, also in 8th. Main reason is just being greedy and wanting more deadly tools I think.

Suppose another reason could be that with this list there are less static elements, so less need to block incoming hordes. This is especially true after I started running with mounted wizards in the sisters.

As for magic, level 1-2 gets +1 to cast/dispel and level 3-4 gets +2 to cast/dispel. Multiple mages greatly increase your chances to channel, and I think the extra dice means more than another +1 to cast/dispel. Also less disaster if you lose a mage, although magical feedback is scary. At least sister champ has 2W and 4++ ward. I do miss the dispel scroll. Most spells have been toned down anyway, fire won't kill the treeman avatar outright and only the death vortex spell can slay him although he does have I3 and 5++ ward!

Sorry for not doing any work on our last battle, I have been completely swamped lately. Currently in Taiwan for chinese new year though!
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Yeah, in late 8th edition eagles are helpful but not essential I think. With your 9th Age games so far, do you feel faster armies are the way to go for Sylvan Elves?

It does look so easy to kill your own wizards now. Even four-dicing stuff is dodgy.

You were only in Denmark five minutes ago!

Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

I think you can make many viable armies in 9th, many more than 8th. But for me, the fast armies are the most interesting. Mind you, not just avoidance but tactical close combat.

Magic has changed a lot, but not so much the miscast when you think about it. The miscast table is still exactly the same, except the strength is lower if you use less dice. Only the dimensional cascade is really worse when using more dice than in 8th, as it 100% kills your mage if using 5 dice. Also single model mages are more vulnerable as a 7 on miscast will give multiple hits to your mage.

For me, I have two low level mages and a bound spell. Good enough for me. With only +2 to cast it is really difficult to get off many of the high level spells anyway. I would have loved the dispell scroll though, especially as you can use it against IF now. But alas, I am already too character heavy as it is.

Yeah we were in Denmark for christmas. I am an international man of mystery!
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Well I hope you and Grace are nowhere near the earthquake. Brushing up on your Mandarin?
Mollesvinet wrote:I think you can make many viable armies in 9th, many more than 8th. But for me, the fast armies are the most interesting. Mind you, not just avoidance but tactical close combat.
There's a school of thought that says armies depending on movement are the most challenging to play well. But then again, if things go wrong they can often run and preserve some points.
Mollesvinet wrote:Magic has changed a lot, but not so much the miscast when you think about it. The miscast table is still exactly the same, except the strength is lower if you use less dice. Only the dimensional cascade is really worse when using more dice than in 8th, as it 100% kills your mage if using 5 dice. Also single model mages are more vulnerable as a 7 on miscast will give multiple hits to your mage.

For me, I have two low level mages and a bound spell. Good enough for me. With only +2 to cast it is really difficult to get off many of the high level spells anyway. I would have loved the dispell scroll though, especially as you can use it against IF now. But alas, I am already too character heavy as it is.
That's a good point about the miscasts. I guess I'm thinking of how often we need to four or even five-dice a spell now. Your point about the change to casting modifiers just compounds this. One reason why I like the Book of Meladys so much. At least with the five dice casting cap you have a better chance to stop any single spell with dice. Especially if you Channel.

I guess you will run the Dryad hero in the unit and if she goes down you can live with that? I'm considering an 8th edition event next month and I'm expanding my Daemonettes and sticking a Herald in with Ogre Blade and ASF locus. She's fragile but I'm desperate for more hitting power. A good first round could swing things anyway.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Hi Phil,

The earthquake was in southern Taiwan, but her family lives in taipei in the north. I did wake up during the night as the whole building was shaking a bit, even in Taipei!

Yes the dryad hero goes with the dryads to give them hatred. The unit will be 7 wide and 2 deep, but skirmish is very important here. Makes them very mobile compared to a block of daemonettes even with their high movement. Similarly though, they have T4 with high initiative and WS. This means that hopefully they can destroy most things they touch before getting hit back, and even if not then placing them on the side of the unit will make them contact just 1-2 other models and with ward save they might survive a round or two.

The matriarch also has beast magic, so chance to cast +1 S/T on charging which makes the unit deadly!
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Oh dear. How big is Taiwan?
Mollesvinet wrote:The unit will be 7 wide and 2 deep, but skirmish is very important here.
That's a huge footprint. I guess it shouldn't be a problem for actual movement but does it affect your deployment?
Mollesvinet wrote:Makes them very mobile compared to a block of daemonettes even with their high movement.
We were having this discussion on Ulthuan recently. I was backing Queen's Guard with Skirmish and Bows versus no Skirmish and Longbows. Musicians help of course but it's still a big difference in mobility. Of course the S3 Daemonettes need Steadfast while your S5 Dryads depend on killing things.
Mollesvinet wrote: The matriarch also has beast magic, so chance to cast +1 S/T on charging which makes the unit deadly!
S6 Dryads? You are having a laugh sir! It's just a mercy they removed Armour Piercing!

Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Actually with the wood elf free forest, you are almost assured that your dryads are stubborn if you want them to be. And rerolling ones to wound as well.

From wikipedia:

Taiwan Area
Total 36,193[5] km2 (136th) (13,974 sq mi)
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Thanks for sharing, haven't been on the site for a while so will have to look back through this thread and have a good read, 9th Age seems to be popular, over 70 in Cardiff :thumbsup:
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

You are welcome my amphibian friend. For me, 9th is the natural progression to the game after it being dropped by GW. More power to the people. Of course that mainly applies if you are still looking for a similar game, mass combat.

Of course there are the issues with the background story that many point out. Interestingly enough, many of the people that complain the most about that are also those who writes a lot of their own stories and didn't like the End Times at all. At this point, we might as well be our own story tellers. Sure, there won't be any more "canon", but at least all gaming groups can go in a direction of their liking.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

I agree, never felt particularly bound by GW's background myself.

Cardiff GT lists!

http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic ... 3&t=132562
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Thank you Phil, this is great! Now I have something to read on the airplane home.

Will get at least one practice game in on Sunday!
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

You're welcome Thomas. Hope you had a good read and that the practice is educational! So there are three other Sylvan elf lists:

First list is triple tree with mostly archer Core, a unit of ten Wild Huntsmen and assorted support. It's got Path of Nature which I like because it seems more rounded than Lore of Life. I'm still trying to figure out just how dangerous cannon are to Treemen in 9th Age. Taking D3+1 wounds instead of D6 has to be a win because they can't be one-shotted straight anymore. The 5+ Ward matters, as does the chance for the cannon to scatter off. I guess still being M5 may be the biggest issue.

Second list has all-archer Core in larger units (one is a bunker for lvl4 General). BSB in Ranger Horde is going for it. I'm still suspicious of these guys because they lack decent saves. Couple of Treemen, some other support.

Third list is interesting, an infantry MSU Light Coven. It's got a Wild Rider BSB in Huntsmen which will certainly hit hard. With the re-roll he's not going to be failing many Frenzy checks but if someone drops a redirector in front, he can't just dance around it because the BSB lacks Free Reforms. Plus this unit is not as solid against charges as your version with the Lord Thomas. The list has a lot of Poisoned shooting and a lot of drops. He's not too worried at losing units but I wonder how he's going to keep the foot characters safe and together.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Had my two practice games, both went decently well.

First game was against ogres, were I killed everything but the gut-star. Lessons learnt:

Treeman needs BSB more than wild riders! My avatar of nature ran from gnoblars because of a challenge!
An old but important lesson, remove chaff first! A dog was able to redirect my wild riders because i was overconfident that one volley of arrows would kill it.
Deathstars could be a problem for me, as my lord can't do much against combat lords with magical weapons unless I can kill them before they strike. Plus I have no magic to speak of.

Second game was against chaos warriors. Lessons learnt:

The dryads are GOOD. I managed to bait 45 barbarians with flails and their barbarian leader to attack my dryads in a forest. Killed half of them and ran them down. Wildform helped!
You can now reform after attacking a building! This nearly cost me dearly as I thought his BSB would be stuck after attacking a building.
Yes, treeman and BSB are good friends! Reroll saved my treeman this game.
Volleyfire means I can hide archers behind my super dryads and not take penalties for cover!

The draw is up. I am up against Vampire Counts on table 25! http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic ... &start=150

He basically has very cheap characters and tons of infantry, a unit of monstrous infantry and tons of monsters! I am hoping to get to his characters early on, as they should be easy to kill.