Mollesvinet - 2016-06-27 - Call to War 2016 List

Here is the place for all your reports of battles against those who seek to defile our sacred glades.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Mollesvinet - 2016-06-27 - Call to War 2016 List

Post by Mollesvinet »

I intend to make this a collection of battle reports for people to read. I just moved to England and aim to join my first tournament in the near future. First things first however, I need practice and I need to get my army into a better shape than it is. I have a pretty old army, most are OOP models bought in middle 90’s when I was a kid. This means many models need repainting and my recent transport of the entire collection from China where I lived for several years did its damage as well!

EDIT: Now with Table of Contents!

2014-11-25 WE vs OK

Twin Oak Campaign
2014-12-05 Wood Elves vs Chaos
2014-12-11 - Twin Oaks vs Skaven

2014-12-07 - Spirit Sword Wood Elves vs Lizardmen

2015-01-10 - Forest Dragon meets dwarfs 2k

2015-01-17 - Wood elves vs dwarfs 2k

2015-01-25 - 1.5k Triumph and Treachery

Ill blood II related
2015-01-31 - Tournament list tryout vs dwarfs
2015-02-07 - Tournament list tryout vs Ogres
2015-02-14 - Tournament list tryout vs HOTEK
2015-03-06 - I'll Blood II result

Londons Burning related
2015-03-07 - D&D vs orcs
2015-03-07 - D&D vs ogres
2015-03-28 - Wandsworth Waargh Game 1
2015-03-28 - Wandsworth Waargh Game 2
2015-03-28 - Wandsworth Waargh Game 3
2015-04-11 - D&D vs Warriors!
2015-04-25 - London's Burning Game 1 vs WoC
2015-04-25 - London's Burning Game 2 vs Empire
2015-04-25 - London's Burning Game 3 vs Skaven
2015-04-25 - London's Burning Game 4 vs Chaos Dwarfs
2015-04-25 - London's Burning Game 5 vs Lizardmen

2015-03-22 - Dragon vs Undead Legion

2015-04-04 - Rangers and dragon vs DoC

2015-05-11 - 2k Wood Elves vs Empire

2015-05-17 - Ogres+WE vs Empire+Undead

Ill Blood III - Unbroken
2015-05-24 - Tour list idea vs undead

9th Age
1500pts WE vs CW
Last edited by Mollesvinet on 27 Jun 2016, 15:02, edited 71 times in total.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Mollesvinet goes to war - 2014-11-25 WE vs OK

Post by Mollesvinet »

I was asked to bring a 2000pt and a 2500pt list for a friendly game at my local GW store. We ended up playing 2000pts, but I accidently fielded an extra unit of scouts because I mixed up the two lists. Sorry about that to my opponent, luckily the scouts didn’t do much. Without further ado, this is the list that I took (I never played there so I tried not to make a completely filthy list):

Enigmas Seekers - 1999 points

Lords (245pts)
Enigma Stargaze - Spellweaver (245pts)
Earthing Rod, Level 4 Lore of Heavens

Heroes (395pts)
Glade Captain (130pts)
Hail of Doom Arrow, Asrai Longbow, Battle Standard, Hand Weapon, Light Armor

Shadowdancer (125pts)
Glittering Scales

Tanis Stargaze – Spellsinger apprentice (140pts)
Dispel Scroll, Level 2 Lore of Heavens

Core (618pts)
23x Eternal Guard (298pts)
Full command, Standard of Discipline

10 x Glade Guard (160pts)
Musician, Trueshot Arrows

10 x Glade Guard (160pts)

Special (441pts)
5x Deepwood Scouts (80pts) (accidently fielded 2 x 5)
Hagbane Tips

5x Wardancers (75pts)

5x Wardancers (75pts)

7x Wild Riders (211pts)
Shields, Standard Bearer, Gleaming Pennant

Rare (300pts)
Great Eagle

Great Eagle

5x Waywatchers (100pts)

5x Waywatchers (100pts)

My opponent also had a balanced list, he fielded:

Slaughtermaster
Level 4 Lore of the Maw, dispel scroll, 4++ save

Brute
Battle Standard Bearer, Sword of Striking (+1 to hit)

8 Ogres
Full command

8 Iron Guts
Full command, Banner of Swiftness

4 Leadbelchers

4 Mournfang Cavalry
Frosthide Banner

Stonehorn
“Bolt Thrower” Upgrade

Sabretusk

Sabretusk

Spells (in the order they were rolled):
Spellsinger: Iceshard Blizzard and Harmonic Convergence
Spellweaver: Iceshard Blizzard, Thunderbolt, Comet and Chain Lightning

Slaughtermaster: Bonecrusher (Magic missile, 2d6 S2), The Maw (small/large template with scatter, all hit take I test. Failed takes S7 D6 wounds, passed take S3), Troll guts (Regeneration Augment), Spinemarrow (Stubborn Augment)

We roll blood and glory and I got to choose table side. The table has 3 normal buildings, my venom thicket and a graveyard which counted as dangerous terrain to everyone and also gave heavy cover to its occupants. 

Deployment Phase
I instantly remembered Tom Richards’s words: “Why do ogre players deploy their sabretusk within 6” of multiple ogre units?”. He let me deploy first as he would finish first anyway. We start out deploying our petting zoos and follow up with our main blocks. I deploy my wild riders in response to his stonehorn, I had to put a wild rider in the second rank because of the eagles position but it actually turns out to be optimal against the stonehorns frontage.

I put my spellweaver with GG1 so that she is just inside the forest, the BSB and spellsinger goes into GG2 and I make sure that both EG and GG1 are within BSB range. Wardancers screen my glade guard, those trueshot arrows sure are useful.

I put all my scouts on the right flank, including the extra unit of scouts. I don’t vanguard the wild riders in case I get the first turn, which I do as he rolls a 1 and I rolls a 3 for first turn. 

Wood Elves Turn 1
Movement: Wild riders charge stonehorn and makes it. Eagles move into position for re-directing next turn.
Magic: He dispells iceshard blizzard on his generals unit. I manage to cast the comet in the middle of the field, marked by the blue crosshair.
Shooting: GG1 kills the left sabretusk, IG pass panic. One unit of scouts kills the other sabretusk, mournfang pass their panic! GG2 and the free scouts kill 2 leadbelchers, they pass their panic. Waywatchers fail to wound Mournfang as I think they are T5 and get no sixes to wound.
Combat: The wild riders does 6 wounds to the stonehorn and overruns. 

Ogre Kingdoms Turn 1
Movement: Iron Guts march forward further than expected due to banner of swiftness. Ogres and mournfang cavalry also move up full speed. Leadbelchers head for the waywatchers.
Magic: The comet strikes with an 8” blast radius, killing 2 Iron Guts and 2 Ogres. He has 9 dice versus my 6. I let him cast bonecrusher with 3 dice on the leftmost wardancers which kills two. Then he cast The Maw on my EG, he gets a very high roll and even though I have 6 dispell dice I decide to scroll since the EG will most likely see combat next ogre turn.
Shooting: Two leadbelchers produce 9 shots, killing only 1 waywatcher. 

Wood Elves Turn 2
Movement: Great eagles redirect their Iron Guts and Mournfang cavalry. Glade guard and wardancers move backwards, leaving only the EG as an easy charge to the ogres. Wild riders moves back in to threat his rear.
Magic: He uses all his dice to dispell chain lightning and leaves me with 3 remaining power dice. I 2 dice thunderbolt but fail to cast. I then one dice iceshard blizzard with my spellsinger and roll a 5, he decides to use his scroll to improve his odds in combat next turn.
Shooting: Scouts kill a single leadbelcher that passes his panic. Waywatchers fail to wound as I am still rolling for sixes, this was entirely my own fault as I didn’t ask my opponent about their stats. Both glade guard pick off a few ogres. 

Ogre Kingdoms Turn 2
Movement: His three main blocks charges the targets presented to them. His leadbelcher moves towards my waywatchers.
Magic: It was 8 dice versus 5. He casts 2 dice bonecrusher on GG1 (Just realized it was a magic missile, so that was illegal) which kills a couple of them. Then he casts The Maw at them and gets a total of 27, I try to dispell but fail at a total of 24 but the template scatters off.
Shooting: The leadbelcher misses, he doesn’t like skirmishers.
Combat: Both eagles are destroyed beyond any hope of revival. Mournfang reform to face my eternal guard and the Irong Guts overrun and nearly bump into my 3 wardancers. For some reason I thought he would challenge with his champion, so I choose the attack dance with my shadowdancer. Impact hits does 2 wounds. However, he challenges with his Slaughtermaster so I accept with my champion since ogres hit the shadowdancer on 6 but the slaughtermaster hits him on 5. The brave champion does a wound but it is saved, he is then smashed for 2 wounds in return. The shadowdancer rolls 4 sixes and a 5 to hit, wounding with the hit for a total of 5 wounds. The 4 ranks worth of eternal guard attacks gets a bunch of poison hits due to reroll and also inflict several wounds rerolling 1’s to wound in the forest. In the end only the banner and the slaughtermaster remains and they flee. The eternal guard are reluctant to leave their forest, so they fail to run him down. 

Wood Elves Turn 3
Movement: Eternal guard charges the fleeing Slaughtermaster, they are now in complete denial about leaving their forest home and roll double 1. Wild riders charge Iron Guts in the rear, I was initially planning to redirect the iron guts with the wardancers for another turn but decided to have some fun and throw some dice around. The right unit of wardancers move to speed bump the mournfang. GG1 moves the spellweaver into the forest and into range of the slaughtermaster, GG2 moves so that the BSB is offering rerolls to everyone.
Magic: He dispels thunderbolt but chain lightning does a couple of wounds to his slaughtermaster. I also get a single iceshard blizzard on his Iron Guts.
Shooting: Trueshot arrows put a single wound on the slaughtermaster and the leadbelcher is killed. Now the mournfang have heavy cover, so no wounds there.
Combat: The wild riders fight valiantly, but the BSB and 2 Iron Guts survive and thus still have a rank. Iceshard Blizzard and a couple of ward saves make sure that I only lose 3 wild riders in return. The Iron Guts pass their steadfast break test and also reforms to face the remaining 4 wild riders.

Ogre Kingdoms Turn 3
Movement: Mournfang charge the wardancers and take a wound from dangerous terrain. Slaughtermaster rallies.
Magic: He gets The Maw on my EG with irresistible force. It hits everyone except one and the shadowdancer but they all pass their check. I still lose half of them and realize that I forgot to give them shields. They pass their panic. The slaughtermaster rolls a 1 for regaining wounds (lore attribute) for the first time, just when he finally needs it. He wards the damage from the lore attribute and loses a level from the miscast.
Combat: The wild riders manage to kill off a single ogre and in return take 2 casualties. I win combat by one and he run, I pursue and catch the remaining champion. His Mournfang Cavalry destroy my wardancers, and I realize at this point that they are T4. Ah well, guess that is karma striking back at me for brining free scouts. They overrun and take another wound from dangerous terrain.

Wood Elves Turn 4
Movement: I ponder whether to redirect with just the shadowdancer or the entire eternal guard unit, but choose to bring all of them just for fun. Wild riders move up and remaining wardancers move closer to the action.
Magic: A thunderbolt kills the slaughtermaster, thus bringing my opponent under 3 fortitude points and giving me the victory.

Results and thoughts:
My opponent was a very nice guy and he told me that he didn’t know wood elves very well, this gave me an advantage. I won the objective and would have won 20-0 at points, considering that I only lost 2 eagles and a unit of wardancers. Deploying his Mournfang Cavalry so close to the sabretusk could have proven disastrous, had they not passed their panic at leadership 7 or 8 they would have probably run off the board before he even got to move them.

For my magic I think I could have focused more on iceshard blizzard than thunderbolt in many cases. I find harmonic convergence okay for shooting, but rather weak for combat compared to blizzard. We already reroll to hits in most cases, it will help to wound (except in a forest) and our armor saves are so weak that it hardly matters there either. Comet however is GREAT FUN!

I do miss the skirmishing dryads, but the wardancers do a good job at it and has more functions as well. They can be more durable with 3++ and the chance to KB characters on the redirect is priceless.

Let me know if you want the format to change, if you want longer or shorter text, or if you want to see some real pictures. I might put up some pictures of my army as I get it repainted, but this will mainly be a battle report thread. Thanks for reading and feel free to ask any questions you like.
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: All kind of Elves.

Re: Mollesvinet goes to war - 2014-11-25 2K WE vs OK

Post by NonnoSte »

Hi Mollesvinet,
thanks for the report.

There's not much to be said about the game itself, but the report was really clear and enjoyable.

I hope you'll find time to keep this thread up-to-date. Good reports help a lot to improve the understanding of the game and to find new inspirations.

Cheers.
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Post by Billthesurly »

I feel your pain. I seem to loose out on many things because I only really know the WE, Dwarf and Orc armies really well. And you just can't count on your opponent to be straight up with you unless you are already good friends. Nice batrep.
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Extol
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Extol »

Hi Mollesvinet!

Great report and I like how you did it. If one has the time for I Battle Chronicler is great for giving a good overview of the game, but I would love some pictures to ;) Maybe just in the end of the report summing up the rounds or something, something like this dudes had done or something :) It's fun to see peoples armies, and seeing a picture make it easier to envision that it's actually another human being behind the blog :P You know, these Internet times with no face to face interactions...

How long was the charge your Wild Riders made in turn 1?

It seem that you played the game good and capitalized on the mistakes of your opponent. I think he made mistake going for your right flank with only that one unit of LB's. They are no match against all that shooting. Think he rather should have kept them in his line and shot down your eagles, and maybe used Mornfangs to go for you right flank (hard to say). He also gave you a nice rear charge with your Wild Riders into his Iron Guts, maybe he should have reformed and faces you with both ogres and Iron Guts. That way you could charge one, but he could counter charge you. Anyway, you played a good game!

Hope to see more reports from you m8!
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated.

NonnoSte: Glad you liked the report. Next game is already scheduled for Sunday and I have a painting session planned for Thursday. Keeping this page up-to-date is a good way to give myself a kick in the behind to get stuff done!

Billthesurly: One of the reasons that I want to play a lot of games before joining a tournament is for this reason alone. Know your enemy. In this case though it was my own fault about the mornfang, I never asked him about their toughness and I don't think he noticed what I was rolling.

Extol: Glad you liked how I did the report, the format is more or less stolen from your own blog so there is that. Good idea about adding a few pictures of the important or interesting moments of the game, I will try to do that next time. It is indeed too easy to forget that we are people using these forums, not computers. He deployed his Stonehorn as far forward as he could, so I did the same. As per Blood and Glory, that means the distance was 18". He needed to roll 11 on two dice to reach my and I could get to him on a 9. He definitely didn't play the game optimally, but he hadn't faced wood elves before. Had he turned his two units around to face the wild riders I would probably have moved them away and given the ogres some more shooting, or charged the iron guts with the wild riders and the ogres in the rear/flank with the EG.
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Post by Billthesurly »

Mollesvinet wrote:Billthesurly: One of the reasons that I want to play a lot of games before joining a tournament is for this reason alone. Know your enemy. In this case though it was my own fault about the mornfang, I never asked him about their toughness and I don't think he noticed what I was rolling.
See that wouldn't happen to me because I almost never remember what stat lines are so I always ask. Probably a good habit to form anyway. Always do discovery on your target before rolling the dice - especially in a tournament.
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Good point Bill, I tried to double check everything in the battle I had today as you recommended.

The plans changed slightly, the game I had signed up for last Sunday was cancelled due to everyone playing 40k. Instead I found another games workshop, near oxford circus, that plays a fantasy campaign every Thursday. I went there today and had a lot of fun, people are taking relaxed lists with room for non-optimal choices. The campaign is played with End Times magic, which I will comment on when I finish the report (hopefully tomorrow). Another campaign rule was that double 5's also caused miscast.

I forgot my camera, so there won't be any pictures sadly. I have another game booked this sunday, so if I can get an opponent I will try to remember my camera. Instead I will upload a few pictures of 3 eternal guard I painted, this will be the painting standard for me.

I can't paint lips and eyes, if I try to it will look like crazy eyed elves with lipstick. I might add some shade to the faces though. Also I tested out the flock, found from http://asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10 ... er#p259303. The middle guy had glue added on top of the flock to try how that would work, but it had not dried when I took the picture. I think I will have to cut the flock into smaller pieces though, but it looks okay in my opinion.

Hopefully I will have the campaign battle up tomorrow and another game in on sunday!
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Mollesvinet in a Campaign - 2014-12-5 Wood Elves vs Chaos

Post by Mollesvinet »

Introduction

This was my first game in a campaign that has been running for a couple of months and that will end in the end of December. The campaign uses the end times magic rules, with the addition that double 5’s also counts as a miscast. Each player starts with a single territory on a campaign map, winning a battle gets you another territory and losing makes you lose a territory unless it is your last. Some territories can give bonuses to the controlling army. The campaign map was locked away and they didn’t have the key, so at this point I don’t know where my territory is.

Suffice to say, my territory is a forest somewhere in the old world where a pair of ancient oak trees have been following the conflicts around them for several months. The two oak trees are twins, thus they both grew from the acorns of a single mother tree during the same season. Pained by the destruction around them, the two oaks come alive and set out to restore the natural balance with their life magic. Following in their steps are a band of wood elves led by the spellsinger Enigma Shadebender, and two great eagles who are old friends of the oak trees.

Fellowship of the Twin Oaks – 1350pts
Lords (580pts)
Treeman Ancient
Level 2

Treeman Ancient
Level 2

Heroes (105pts)

Spellsinger – Enigma Shadebender (105pts)
Dispel Scroll, Level 1 Lore of Shadow

Core (365pts)

12x Glade Guard (190pts)

11x Glade Guard (175pts)

Rare (250pts)

Great Eagle

Great Eagle

5x Waywatchers (100pts)

5x Waywatchers (100pts)

My opponent was a nice guy called Chris, he had been in the campaign since the start I believe and had recently switched from dark elves to chaos. Though a vile army of chaos, it was beautifully painted! It was an obvious target for the oaken twins, destroy the chaos host and restore the corruption they had done to nature!

Forces of Chaos

Empowered Festus

Around 16 chaos warriors?
Full command, Mark of Nurgle, Shields

20 plaguebearers of nurgle
Full command

5 Putrid Kings
Champion, banner

3 Skullcrushers of Khorne
Standard, Ensorcelled weapons

Deployment
The game was played on a 4 by 4 feet table. While smaller than usual it worked out fine with the small armies. We have equal amounts of drops and he decides that I go first so that he can get the +1 to start. I start by deploying the eagles, followed by the two glade guard units. This means that I can basically deploy the rest of my army in response to him. Plaguebearers and warriors have poisoned attacks, so I decide that the putrid kings will be the best target for the treemen. The waywatchers are set up against his skullcrushers. I should have deployed TA1, the general, a bit more to the left so that his inspiring presence reached glade guard 1 as we will see later! He gets the first turn due to +1.

Chaos Turn 1
Movement:He marches his entire army at full distance in a straight line. The putrid kings have the banner of swiftness for movement 5.

Magic: 5+4+3+2. Nine on the reign of chaos table makes khorne angry enough to put a small template on GG1, killing 6 or 7. Luckily they pass their LD8 panic, I should have deployed general closer to them for LD10. He rolls 4 dice at plague wind but fails to cast. He then rolls 4 dice at regeneration for the putrid kings, I let him have it. He 1 dice curse of the leper but fails it. Finally he miscast the “poisoned attacks” spell on the skullcrushers, killing 2 warriors with the small template but regenerating the wound on Festus. He doesn’t gain wounds and toughness on Festus and I really don’t mind the skullcrushers having poisoned attacks anyway. 

Wood Elves Turn 1
Movement: I move up a great eagle to redirect his skullcrushers, I want them to overrun off the battlefield but the redirect doesn’t go according to plans as we will see. The other eagles moves central and the treemen shuffle.

Magic: 11+2channel vs 7. I fail to cast enfeebling foe on the chaos warriors due to the d6 roll for power dice. I get throne of IF, but disregard the miscast. I fail to cast dwellers due to d6 roll for power dice. I get off the withering with IF on skullcrushers, reducing their toughness by 1 and taking a wound on the spellsinger and a treeman.

Shooting: I realize the mistake of my redirection attempt. Killing a skullcrusher would mean that he would be able to charge next turn. I note to myself that I must redirect, or just speed bump, the middle model in such a case.

Chaos Turn 2
Movement: The skullcrushers charge the eagle. Everything else marches at full speed in a straight line.

Magic: 14 vs 10. He uses 2 dice to dispel throne of vines and 4 dice to dispel withering. He gets off regeneration on the putrid kings on total casting value of 14 vs my 13 to dispel.

Combat: The eagle is destroyed and the skulcrushers overrun off the board. 

Wood Elves Turn 2
Movement: Both treemen charges the putrid kings. The great eagle speed bumps the plaguebearers and the furthest waywatcher unit moves into close range of the warriors. They also move within 6” of the eagle which is a mistake!

Magic: 11+1channel vs 7. I first cast miasma on the putrid kings, he fails to dispel and their WS is reduced by 3. He lets me miasma the initiative of the plaguebearers down to 1, but I then roll too low on the d6 power dice to cast pit of shades. I also roll too low to cast enfeebling foe on the warriors. I get off dwellers from TA1 on the chaos warriors with IF, killing 3 warriors and Festus! In return all my mages take a S6, I am lucky that the spellsinger isn’t wounded but the general takes a wound.

Shooting: After shooting only 4 chaos warriors remain.

Combat: He uses great weapons with his putrid kings. The treemen do a total of 3 wounds, he does 2 wounds to my general, loses combat by 1 (banner vs charge) but pass his breaktest. 

Chaos Turn 3
Movement: Plaguebearers charge the eagle. skullcrushers come on the table again, moving up to threaten my beloved forest. The warriors pass a march test and sets up for a flank charge on the treemen or the possibility to go for the glade guard in the corner.

Magic: Slaanesh kills 3 glade guard due to LD test on 3 dice, they pass their panic.

Combat: Plaguebearers kill the eagle and overruns around 9 inches I think. By killing the eagle they panic the waywatchers who flee from the skullcrushers. At the point of playing we forgot that this test should have been taken immediately as the eagle was destroyed, but the waywatchers flee 10 inches and would not have been caught by the overrunning Plaguebearers in any case. They pass their dangerous terrain tests for fleeing through the plaguebearers. My treemen manage a single wound, rolling double 1 for thunder stomps. The general takes a wound or two, he now took 4 wounds and the other treeman has taken 1 wound.

Wood Elves Turn 3
Movement: The less brave waywatchers rally. The braver of the waywatchers prepares to redirect the skullcrushers, I make sure to be 6 inches away from other units and 7 inches away from the skullcrushers so that I can stand and shoot. The spellsinger moves out to redirect the Plaguebearers. Both glade guard units move backwards 3 inches.

Magic: 10 vs 8. The spellsinger fails to cast pit due to d6 power dice. He dispels one attempt at regrowth, but the second goes through with IF. I heal a total of 4 wounds (including synergy), take 1 wound from a small template which also deals a wound or two to the putrid kings. Both treemen have now only taken 1 wound.

Shooting: I kill a single warrior. He regenerates a couple of wounds on his skullcrushers, they had regeneration due to some campaign rewards from previous games.

Combat: The renewed treemen manage to kill all but one putrid king, they save a bunch of ward saves and ends up breaking the putrid kings. The rightmost treeman pursues and catches them, the general restrains and reforms to face the battle.

Chaos Turn 4
Movement: Skullcrushers and plaguebearers charge, plaguebearers lose a few models to dangerous terrain. Chaos warriors fail their march test and move forward 4 inches towards the glade guard.

Magic: Daemons get +1 ward.

Combat: He decides to do the plaguebearer battle first, overrunning 4 inches and losing a few models to dangerous terrain. Waywatchers do 3 wounds, but they are all saved. The waywatchers are destroyed and the skullcrushers overrun into the flank of the plaguebearers where they come to a halt. At this point another person pointed out that had he taken the skullcrusher combat first there was a chance he could have overrun into GG1. We weren’t sure, he may have hit the corner of the plague beaerers. In any case, it didn’t happen. 

Wood Elves Turn 4
Movement: I decide not to charge TA1 into the warriors and instead try to march up into close range for dwellers. I fail my march test though. GG1 moves up to block plaguebearers, I make sure that the skullcrushers can’t charge them. This way the skullcrushers will be stuck next turn. GG2 moves back a bit.

Magic: I get off dwellers on the plaguebearers anyway from TA2, but only 2 die.

Shooting: I kill 2 plaguebearers and a skullcrusher. GG2 fails to live up to the expectations of the treeman and doesn’t kill any warriors!

Chaos Turn 5
Movement: Plague beaerers charges and takes a few wounds from dangerous terrain. Skullcrushers reform. Warriors march towards the 8 remaining glade guard, they are getting very close now.

Magic: Khorne gets a little bit angry, but not enough to put any templates down this time.

Combat: Plaguebearers kill the glade guard and reform to face the treemen. 

Wood Elves Turn 5
Movement: I move the treemen into short dweller range of PB while staying far enough away from crushers that they need to roll 11 to make a charge. The waywatchers runs full speed away from the enemy.

Magic: 14+1chanel vs 10. One treeman fails throne of vines, the other throne of vines is dispelled. I decide to cast awakening of the woods on the plaguebearers, get 11 hits and do 5 wounds!

Shooting: The glade guard yet again fails to wound the chaos warriors, I am now getting nervous and regrets not charging them when I had the chance. Waywatchers fail to wound skullcrushers and I realize that I should have gone for the plaguebearers at this point.

Chaos Turn 6
Movement: He makes the charge with his warriors and I think I kill one on the stand and shoot, in any case, 2 warriors including a champion makes it in! Uh oh!

Magic: Daemons get +1 ward save.

Combat: The warriors kill 3 glade guard and take no casualties in return. Luckily I just remain steadfast and pass my break test on the treemans leadership. 

Wood Elves Turn 6
Movement: The treeman ancient decides to make up for letting the warriors reach glade guard and moves closer to them for support, he keeps facing the plaguebearers though.

Magic:16 vs 11. I cast throne of vines on my general with 3 dice, I don’t want to lose him to a miscast in the last turn. My opponent can only use 1 dispel die and fails to dispel. I cast stoneskin on the glade guard, my opponent can only use 1 dispel die so it goes through. I then cast shield of thorns, my opponent can again only use 1 dispel die and it goes through as well! Finally I get off awakening of the woods, killing all but 1 plaguebearer. The shield of thorns deals exactly 2 wounds to the warriors and the glade guards are saved.

Shooting: Waywatchers do one wound to the plaguebearer, but he saves it on a 4.

Prologue
The forces of chaos were disbanded, but at a heavy cost of elven and eagle lives. The oak twins began restoring the new territory that they had freed and the brother who had taken up leadership during the battle felt how his attunement with the element of life became stronger. They would all wait here for a week, seeing to the injured and waiting for reinforcements. Though nobody spoke about it, everyone was wondering what the next challenge would be.

Post-game Thoughts
I think the deployment was in my favor, even if my general was too far away from the rest of my army. The game went more or less according to my plan, with the exception of the skullcrushers. The redirection with the eagle meant that I lost valuable waywatcher shooting, and so did my self-inflicted panic later on. At least I was able to control their movement due to frenzy. We discussed the option of changing the skullcrushers for bloodcrushers, I opted that the lack of frenzy and gaining a 5+ ward save was worth it but he preferred the 1+ armor save and extra attacks.

My treemen were mainly scared about his skullcrushers and the warriors, since they had poisoned attacks while Festus were in there. While the skullcrushers couldn’t reach the treemen anytime soon, I think my opponent could have tried harder to make sure the warriors reached the treemen earlier.

I was lucky to kill Festus with my first attempt at dwellers, though I was hoping to do it by means of enfeebling foe which would have raised the chances substantially.

Regarding the magic system, I didn’t mind the 4d6 magic phases or the fact that everyone became loremasters (besides the trouble of keeping track of all the spells). The main point of frustration was the d6 power dice and dispels dice allowance per spell. Higher level spells got very difficult to get off with low caster levels, this was fair enough as it makes magic levels more important. It was annoying to not be able to follow a strategy simply for rolling only 1 power dice allowed, but on the other hand it also disallowed 6 dicing final spells all of the time which was nice. However the d6 dispel dice was the worst part, which especially shows in the very last turn. I basically got off all my spells without him having a chance to dispel any of it. I know that he could have rolled all 1’s with the normal rules, but at least he gets to choose his odds. We talked about it later on and decided that maybe it would be better that the d6 allowance of power dice also counted for dispelling, this way it would be more even. I just noticed, thanks to woolymammoth in a separate thread, that 15+ spells can only be cast once per phase (not per wizard)! Luckily I never attempted dwellers with both treemen in one phase, but I definitely thought it was an option.

It was a very nice and relaxed game and I would be happy to play Chris again anytime. I am looking forward for the game next Thursday and will definitely keep this site updated.

First I (might) have game this Sunday, it will be a 2k or 2.5k game using normal Warhammer rules. I will be bringing a list with the spirit sword, so that should be interesting! I felt really stupid to forget my camera this time, so I will try extra hard to remember it on Sunday.
Last edited by Mollesvinet on 18 Dec 2014, 14:07, edited 1 time in total.
Wrath_of_the_Wildwood
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Mollesvinet in a Campaign - 2014-12-05 Wood Elves vs Cha

Post by Wrath_of_the_Wildwood »

Thanks for the report, I hadn't thought about it but ET makes a Treeman ancient much more viable now doesn't it. Especially dual ancients like you took. Why they don't have as much combat threat with their lore attribute they could hold units up for a long time while buffing other units. Especially now guaranteed to have throne of vines
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

It was definitely a boost. If I get more points next game, I will probably make one of them a level 4 and use him as the main spellcaster while using the other as general in case he goes boom. I wanted to try out the ancient treemen after reading edmondj's tactical review: http://asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=2 ... nt#p342494

However, the same issues with treemen are still there. Had my opponent had a skull cannon, then that would have been very bad for the oak twins indeed. Same goes with lore of metal, especially now that searing doom can be spammed!

Alas, in the right match up they are very good.
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by NonnoSte »

Probably you'd want some hagbane Scouts at higher level points to deal with war machines.
But skullcannons and Ironblasters remain an issue.
liesmith
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Beastmen

Post by liesmith »

Awesome batreps, Mollesvinet. Fun to read, not too long, not too short. Well played, too. I was a little worried for you in the Chaos matchup, that you may not have enough killiness. But you did quite well for yourself (and End Times magic rules certainly helped).
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

NonnoSte wrote:Probably you'd want some hagbane Scouts at higher level points to deal with war machines.
But skullcannons and Ironblasters remain an issue.
Hagbane scouts are definately high on the wish list for my army, I was lucky to face an army with no hard counters to my treemen. I still don't know what the new point level will be. As far as I remember there is some kind of rule in this campaign that the new units you add to your army gets a special rule chosen from a long list. It can be things like swiftstride, ItP, regen.... can't remember them all. I also don't know what my reward for winning will be. Will be interesting to find out on thursday!

I was thinking about changing the level 1 mage into a metal mage or even adding a level 1 metal. The combo of enfeebling foe and dwellers is really nice, and I really wish I could pull it off. Searing doom however, would be extremely nice against ironblasters, skullcannons and most other things that treemen and hagbane scouts can't deal with... Especially now when you can cast it multiple times. Two mages would enable me to field the hex scroll, could be fun in ET rules with a lot of low level loremasters!
liesmith wrote:Awesome batreps, Mollesvinet. Fun to read, not too long, not too short. Well played, too. I was a little worried for you in the Chaos matchup, that you may not have enough killiness. But you did quite well for yourself (and End Times magic rules certainly helped).
Glad you like the reports. Next time I will do my best to remember my camera so that I can add some pictures. As for the list, it is certainly not the best list in the world. The entire thing was basically build around me wanting to use two ancient treemen and using the models I have which are painted. I am in the process of assembling and painting two boxes of wild riders and painting/re-painting pretty much my entire army. I was getting very worried against chaos as well, especially when he had two warriors and just a handful plaguebearers remaining and it seemed like I wouldn't get any points at all.

The game tomorrow has been confirmed, but I still don't know which army I will be facing or whether it will be at 2000 or 2500 points. I will however bring a crazy list with the spirit sword, so hopefully that will be fun. I will probably start looking for a tournament before too long, and once I know which tournament I will join I can start writing and testing more "serious" armies. Wish me luck tomorrow!
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: 7th Dec 2014 - Spirit Sword Wood Elves vs Lizardmen

Post by Mollesvinet »

Pre-game

This was a 2500 point game with the standard rules using the watchtower scenario. I have never played the watchtower scenario before, as most people despise it. My opponent was a very nice guy called Luke. He was very talkative but in a very entertaining way! My army was a bit of an experiment with the spirit sword, the idea was to use Savage Beast of Horros to wound high toughness models and use Pann’s Impenetrable Pelt for defense. Both the lord and weaver would be with the wild riders who has banner of eternal flame, as the lord can take care of characters with 2++ against fire. I took a melee BSB and a treeman ancient in order to use bubble Horros. The army looks as follows:

Lords (863pts)

Glade Lord (268pts)
Spirit Sword, Opal Amulet, Asrai Longbow, Elven Steed, Light Armor, Shield

Spellweaver (305pts)
Power Stone, Talisman of Preservation, Elven Steed, Level 4 Lore of Beasts

Treeman Ancient
Level 2 Lore of Life

Heroes (152pts)

Glade Captain (152pts)
Armour of Silvered Steel, Luckstone, Asrai Longbow, Battle Standard, Light Armor, Two Hand Weapons

Core (638pts)

24x Eternal Guard (318pts)
Full command, Shields

10x Glade Guard (160pts)

10x Glade Guard (160pts)

Special (360pts)

6x Deepwood Scouts (96pts)
Hagbane Tips

8x Wild Riders (264pts)
Full command, shields, banner of eternal flame

Rare (485pts)

Great Eagle
Great Eagle
Treeman (225pts)
8xWaywatchers (160pts)

He was playing a lizardman army as follows:

Slann
Wandering Deliberations (all signature spells), Becalming Cogitation (reroll first failed dispel attempt each phase), Harmonic Convergence (+2 channel dice), Channeling Staff

Old-Blood
Sacred stegadon helm of itza (d3 impact and +1T), Piranah blade (d3 wounds and armor piercing)

Skink Priest
Level 2 Lore of Beasts, Dispel Scroll

Scar-Veteran
Charmed Shield, Carnosaur

2x10 skink skirmishers
javalins, shields, champions

39 Saurus Warriors
spears, shields, full command

20 Temple Guard

Salamander hunting pack

Bastiladon
Solar engine

5 chameleon skinks 

Spells:

Weaver: Wildform, Savage Beast, Pelt and Amber Spear
Ancient: Throne, Flesh to Stone
Slann: All signature spells
Skink: Wyssan, Pelt 

Deployment

The ruins are dangerous terrain to everyone, even when moving. The middle forest is my venom thicket and the left forest turned out to be a normal forest. The middle has the watchtower and the right has a normal building.

He starts in the watchtower and places a unit of skink skirmishers there. I delay deployment with eagles and glade guard, so I know where his blocks are. My eternal guard goes near my venom thicket, with the possibility of getting to the watchtower. I want the treemen to go up against the temple guard, as I had success with that in the past (old S6 treemen though). I decide to take my wild riders around the flank to his rear, hoping to get first turn to avoid some skink fire.

My scouts go first, his chameleons counter deploy to shoot them. I set up my waywatchers against his salamander. I then vanguard the wild riders to start their trek around the tower.

He gets the first turn.

Lizardmen Turn 1
Movement: He basically moves up everything.

Magic: 2v4. He casts wildform on the temple guard which I let him have, having no intentions of fighting or shooting them. I dispel Miasma on… Treeman ancient or eternal guard, can’t remember which. He also shoot his salamander at my waywatchers, and for some reason we played it wrong all game. He chooses a spot within 12” of the salamander to put the flame template and then add the artillery die to that distance. This meant that his salamander had a huge range, however, this turn he fails to hit rolling only 2 inches.

Shooting: All skink skirmishers shoot at my wild riders, killing 4 in total as I fail quite a lot of armor saves. This is what I get for being reckless with them, hoping for the first turn! His chameleon skinks shoot at my scouts, killing 1 or 2.

Wood Elves Turn 1
Movement: I restrain frenzy on the wild riders and move them up to threaten his main units and to get within amber spear distance of his carnosaur. GE2 moves to speed bump his carnosaur, so that the treeman can move up without being in too much danger. Eternal guard and treeman ancient also moves up, into the forest. I forget to move GE1 and most archers are already in position, except GG2 who face the tower.

Magic: 7vs6. I 5 or 6 dice big amber spear on the carnosaur, I get it off with IF and kill the carnosaur from beneath the scar-vet. I felt a little bad about it, as bringing a carnosaur is very brave but then again, his carnosaur would shred my treemen so it had to be done. I was lucky not to hit the scar vet, as he had charmed shield. All my mages take a S6 and they are both wounded.

Shooting: I kill 5 skinks in the watchtower with GG2, GG1 and waywatchers take out the other skinks (sorry about the skull position, don’t know why it moved).

Lizardmen Turn 2
Movement: The scar vet, now on foot, charges my eagle and I stand. His blocks moves forward and his skink priest hides from my wild riders. Salamander moves forward again. Chameleon skinks moves behind my scouts to shoot the treeman.

Magic: 9+3channel vs 4. He casts wyssan on the saurus, I let him have it as I won’t engage them. He casts earthblood on the temple guard, and I reluctantly let him have it as I am afraid of searing doom on the TA. I also let him have big miasma, he rolls a 3, on my eternal guard. He then casts a medium fireball with the rest of his dice on my treeman ancient, which I dispel.

Shooting: His skink skirmishers put 2 wounds on my wild riders. His salamander hits 2 waywatchers and they are both killed, they pass their panic. Chameleon skinks fail to wound the treeman.

Combat: The eagle only takes 1 wound and gets rid of his charmed shield, it flees to behind the chameleon skinks and he reforms his scar-vet to face my treeman. 

Wood Elves Turn 2
Movement: Both treemen charge the temple guard, but only the normal treeman makes it. Wild riders restrain again, as they only had a small chance to reach bastilidon and with the eternal guard down to movement 2 they couldn’t really multi charge saurus warriors. The eagle rallies and I remember to move the other eagle closer to the battle. GG2 moves to get the salamander into view.

Magic: 3v2+1channel. I 3 dice wyssan on the treeman, he fails to dispel it even though he can reroll the first failed attempt.

Shooting: GG1 and the waywatchers fail to take out the salamander, we played it as having a 4+ armor save for the whole game but I don’t think it made a difference. GG2 kills 4 out of 5 skinks in the watchtower, leaving only the champion.

Combat: The treeman takes out some temple guard and takes a single wound in return (due to T7), they have the razor standard so he only gets a 6+ save. 

Lizardmen Turn 3
Movement: He charges GG2 with his scar-vet needing a 9 or so, but fails. He also charges the treeman ancient in the forest, but fails on a double 1. The bastiladon moons the wild riders! The chameleon skinks turns to face the eagle.

Magic: 6v3. He one dices solar beam on my treeman ancient, I let it go and with 2d6 S5 he manages a single wound which is doubled. He puts wyssan on his temple guard and I fail to dispel it! Finally he also casts regrowth on them.

Shooting: His skink champion fails to wound a wild rider. The chameleon skinks kills the eagle and the salamander hits 9 and kills 5 glade guard!

Combat: I barely kill any temple guard, only 1 hit and 1 thunderstomp… In return I take 2 or 3 wounds but I hold. 

Wood Elves Turn 3
Movement: I charge the bastilidon with my wild riders, after a bit of measuring we decide that on an 8 they will hit the saurus on the overrun. This makes me charge in the eternal guard and the treeman ancient as well. GG2 moves to shoot the skink priest.

Magic: 8vs6+1channel. I 5 dice horros on my general, but he scrolls it with the skink priest. He then dispels my other spell, I think it was wyssan on the treeman fighting the temple guard.

Shooting: I kill the salamander. GG2 is about to shoot the priest, but remembers that on turn 4 the owner of the watchtower may win. Because of this, and the now lack of dispel scroll anyway, GG2 takes out the skink champion instead. Scouts fail to wound scar-vet.

Combat: I manage to do a single wound to the bastilidon with the spirit sword, I then roll an 11 which makes the bastilidon explode. However, I only overrun 6 inches or so and cannot join the saurus battle. The old-blood challenges and I accept with my eternal guard champion. His old-blood has a weapon that gives multiple wounds d3, so he gets maximum overkill (I apologize to my opponent for making the statement that multiple wounds only works against models with more wounds on their profile, luckily we played it his way). The ancient also takes a single wound, leaving him with 2 wounds remaining. I kill a bunch of saurus and they only kill 4 eternal guard, whoever loses the combat doesn’t break. The other treeman dies, only just, and the temple guard reform to face the treeman ancient. 

Lizardmen Turn 4
Movement: The temple guard charges the treeman ancient in the flank. Since I didn’t level the right edges of the ancient and the saurus, the temple guard now has an overrun path into my eternal guard. The scar-vet charges GG2 and I flee.

Magic: 9vs7. He casts wyssan on the temple guard which I let go, he then fails wyssan with his skink priest and fails another spell with his slann.

Combat: He challenges with his old-blood, and I accept with the treeman ancient. The temple guard can now only watch as the treeman ancient takes 2 wounds, saves one on his armor save and one on his ward save. He then proceeds to treewhack the old blood and does 3 wounds to him, which kills him. He puts 8 attacks on my BSB, and does 2 wounds which are both saved. I kill a bunch of saurus warriors and he kills some eternal guard. In the end I win combat but he passes his break test.

Post-game:

First of all, I know there are a few mistakes and some missing details in this report. The game was set to start at 3pm, but the store closed at 5pm which meant we were in a hurry from the beginning. I probably won’t go here anymore on Sundays, it is such a shame to do all the effort of setting up a game only to be stopped in the middle of it. We called the game as a draw. It could have gone both ways from here, though I think odds were in his favor at this point.

I think I played this game fundamentally wrong, based on the fact that I more or less ignored the objective and focused on destroying his army. I should have focused less on his salamander and his temple guard, I could then have taken the watchtower with the eternal guard or even GG1 and used the treemen to block off his saurus warriors. All I needed to do then, after killing his carnosaur, was to delay his temple guard with scouts and eagles.

In the past I have never been very impressed with wandering deliberations, due to the lack of “super spells”. But in the past I often saw the slann blow up countless temple guard, however, with the low casting cost of the signature spells this never happened in this game. The channeling skills also worked out well for him. Under normal circumstances I think the skink priest is safe hiding behind units like he did, but with trueshot arrows I really should have taken him out before he could use his magic item…

The eternal guard always surprise me, I really like to have them in my list. If nothing else, then they give me access to more elements of the game (ranks) that I normally wouldn't use. I also usually advocate keeping the BSB out of combat, but in this game he made sure the saurus wasted 8 attacks which would have otherwise killed eternal guard. However, in the future I will probably still keep him out of combat. Considering if the old-blood had his way with my BSB makes me shiver.

Finally the spirit sword… It sucks. I barely even wounded the bastilidon, and even then, I was lucky to roll that high on the following test. So okay, he needs savage beast of horros to wound stuff. Problem is, with savage beast of horros I could have equipped him with defensive items and a lesser magical weapon (or even a spear) and he would still be able to do the same job. I could even give him the other tricksters shard, which would improve his chances at assassinating characters with ward saves substantially. It was a fun experiment, but ultimately the lord with spirit sword simply isn’t worth the points in my opinion. The mobile beast weaver was fun though, if I had been up against monstrous cavalry or knights the amber spear would have shined! In that case the weaver would be better off in a sister bunker.
Last edited by Mollesvinet on 09 Dec 2014, 20:53, edited 3 times in total.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

My next game will be this thursday where the story of the oaken twins will continue.

I just called them and the points total stays the same. I have yet to decide whether I will change the list, but I am pretty busy and I think it will remain the same.

I actually remembered to bring my camera to the battle against lizardmen, i just forgot to take any pictures... One step at a time i suppose. Hopefully I will finally get some pictures this time!

Cheers and thanks for reading!
Lord Sloth
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves and High Elves

Post by Lord Sloth »

Just one note on the last game... you can't vanguard within 12" of an enemy unit.
"Athel Loren shall not suffer the presence of Men, nor Orcs, nor Dwarfs, nor Beastmen. If a foe takes a single step upon such sacred soil, they shall not take another." - Skarloc, Mist Walker of Athel Loren
Wrath_of_the_Wildwood
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Wrath_of_the_Wildwood »

Thanks for the report I think it's great. I'm dying to run some oak twins myself
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Lord Sloth wrote:Just one note on the last game... you can't vanguard within 12" of an enemy unit.
Thanks for this notice. I had totally forgotten about that!
Wrath_of_the_Wildwood wrote:Thanks for the report I think it's great. I'm dying to run some oak twins myself
Thanks for the compliment! Lets hope that the two ancient treemen will have good luck tomorrow
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Mollesvinet - 2014-12-11 - Twin Oaks vs Skaven

Post by Mollesvinet »

Pre-game
The oaken twins discover what attracted the forces of chaos to this region. A waystone is placed here, holding the great desert at bay and amplifying any magic around it. The elves camp around the waystone, while the trees use their life magic to repair the stone before their trek into the desert. However, a new menace approaches! This menace is almost as pestilent as the previous one, but far furrier! A horde of ratmen comes out of the desert, eager to gorge on the magical powers of the waystone.
Having won the previous battle, I was allowed to take over another territory on the campaign map. I decided to take over the territory of the chaos player from last time which held a waystone, the waystone gives +1 to all channel attempts for all my mages. A picture of the campaign map before and after this game will be included in the end of the report.

I played the same list as before but this time I was facing a skaven army. My opponent was a Swedish guy called Phillip and it would be his first time to try out the End Times magic rules. It was my second time, so we were both pretty green. My opponent fielded the following army:

Grey Seer
2 tokens, 4+ ward, earthing rod

Chieftain BSB
Halberd, Heavy armour, not sure which items

Engineer
Doom Rocket

Engineer
Level 1 Ruin, condenser

Plague-Priest
5+ ward, level 2 Plague

30 clan rats
Shields, full command, warpfire-thrower team

2x 50 slaves
musician

Doomwheel

Warp-lightning Cannon

We played End Times magic so we had all spells. He decided that I deploy first, as I would finish first anyway. The special rule that If occurs on double 5 as well as double 6 was still in effect and the board was still 4x4 feet.  

Deployment
I deploy my forest smack in the middle, to interfere with steadfast. I choose a venom thicket for dangerous terrain tests, but in retrospect it was probably stupid to allow the vermin to have poisoned attacks. I start by spreading out eagles and glade guard, to see what he does. He puts his clan rat bunker in the middle, with the grey seer on my left and bsb on my right. The engineer in SS2 is the mage and the priest and other engineer goes into SS1. I decide to put my treemen centrally, but far enough apart so that he can’t target both with a single cannon blast or cracks call. I deploy the mage behind the treemen, as it is generally a safe place to be. One unit of waywatchers is deployed to deal with the cannon, out of charge arc of the slaves. I wasn’t sure what to do with the other waywatchers, but I decide to keep them close to the doomwheel.
I rolled a 1 versus his 3 to go first, so he took the first turn.

Skaven Turn 1
Movement: The doomwheel moves 14 inches, going clockwise around the forest. Everything else moves forward, except SS2 which wheels to allow his engineer to spot my waywatchers.
Magic: 16 vs 11. He casts scorch on the waywatchers near his cannon, but I dispel it. Then he uses 4 dice for the new endtime pit spell, it’s basically a delayed pit of shadows, and gets it with IF (red marker on map). He rolls power drain and while he has the earthing rod, he decides to lose the levels (2 it turns out) instead of risking a dimensional cascade. He tries vermintide from his priest with 2 dice but fails. He uses 2 dice on warp-lightning on the waywatchers near his cannon, but I dispel it. He then uses 5 dice on plague on the other waywatchers, killing 2 waywatchers and 8 glade guard after the plague spreads. The miscast is magical feedback, the priest saves on a 5+ ward but the grey seer fail his 4+ ward and the engineer is wounded as well.
Shooting: The doomwheel restrains shooting down the flamethrower (on the reroll, darn it). The cannon fails to wound TA2 (S6) but the engineer from SS1 hits the last 3 waywatchers with the doom rocket and blows them to smithereens.

Wood Elves Turn 1
Movement: I actually decide to charge TA2 into the doomwheel, thinking I can treewhack it after casting miasma on it. I must admit though, that I was pretty happy when I failed the charge. TA1 moves up to threaten, but stays in the forest to cancel steadfast of any potential incoming charge. GE2 moves to redirect the doomwheel (railing would make me feel dirty) and GE1 moves closer to the action. GG2 moves back a bit to get out of the pit spells range but stays within short range of the doomwheel for withering. The waywatchers moves to ensure the charge on his cannon next turn, they stay out of charge arc of SS2 and keeps the warpfire-thrower in sight.
Magic: 17+1 vs 11+1. I cast wither on the doomwheel and he lets me get it through, but I only reduce it by 1 toughness so it makes no difference for my archers. I get off throne of vines on TA1. I try to dweller his clanrats, but I only get to cast 2 dice and I don’t get it through. Instead I get of regrowth on GG1, regrowing 5.
Shooting: The waywatchers take out the warpfire-thrower with double shots. Both glade guard regiments shot at the doomwheel, armour piercing really helps here and it takes 3 wounds.

Skaven Turn 2
Movement: The doomwheel slams into the eagle, passing it’s dangerous terrain test. The clan rats move up slowly but both flanks advance rapidly.
Magic: 14+1 vs 11+2. He gets to throw one dice on vermintide which fails. I let him give the doomwheel blessing of filth, giving it poison attacks on 5+ as it is in the venom thicket. He uses breath of corruption on TA1 which I let him have, he deals 1 wound. He then gets a really high cast of scorch on my waywatchers, and while only potentially hitting three it would probably do enough damage for a panic test. I decide to use my scroll, as the waywatchers are my best bet to get rid of the cannon. He fails warplightning on waywatchers, rolling double 1. I dispel warpgale and a crack’s call against TA1.
Shooting: Doomwheel fails to zapp eagle. Cannon fails to wound TA2 with S4.
Combat: The doomwheel pulverizes the eagle and overruns 8. It fails its dangerous terrain, but we play it by the armybook instead of the faq, meaning instead of taking d6 wounds with no armour save it only takes d3 S4 which does nothing! 

Wood Elves Turn 2
Movement: TA1 charges the clan rat bunker, I need an 8 and roll a 9. Waywatchers charge the cannon. GE1 takes up the sacrificial duty while TA2 moves up to threaten while remaining in the forest for steadfast negation. Glade guard nudge slightly to see the doomwheel.
Magic: 10 vs 8. I try for a shield of thorns on TA1 to remove ranks quicker, but fail to cast. I then cast dwellers from TA2 on SS1 with IF. I kill 27 slaves and the engineer, the resulting miscast puts a small template on my treeman but fails to wound. Lifebloom heals TA1.
Shooting: All glade guard shot at the doomwheel, causing only a single wound and allowing it to survive with one wound left.
Combat: Waywatchers take out the cannon and reform to face the battle. I remind my opponent that now would be a good time to challenge with his champion and he does so. I elect to treewhack, since he will probably avoid the treewhack but then I would get d6 thunderstomps compared to 3 attacks. He rolls a six and takes 6 wounds from the treewhack. SPLAT! I actually win combat but they stick. 

Skaven Turn 3
Movement: Doomwheel charges the eagle. Both slave units moves up.
Magic: 16+1 vs 15. He casts howling warpgale with 3 dice, I let him have it as my eagles are running out and only waywatchers are affected by the penalties to shooting. I dispel warp-lightning from the engineer vs TA2 (sorry, bad diagram here as the SS were facing more towards the center). He casts plague on GG1 which I fail to dispel. He kills 4 glade guard but the plague then jumps onto his own unit killing some slaves and actually doing a wound to the priest. He casts crack’s call on TA1, now I think this is illegal as I would compare cracks call to the penumbral pendulum which is a direct damage spell, but I roll a 1 so the treeman dodges his fate due to karma. I dispel vermintide and the phase is over.
Shooting: Zapp doesn’t kill the eagle.
Combat: The doomwheel does 7 impact wounds to the eagle, ending its life in the most horrible way possible. It then reforms to face the center as it is blocked by the waystone. The BSB challenges my treeman ancient. This time I choose to attack, hoping to deal a single wound with attacks which I do. The thunderstomp only deals 1 wound but I pass my break test. Scary with no wood elf BSB around! 

Wood Elves Turn 3
Movement: I choose to charge TA2 into the clan rats instead of the slaves. GG1 moves forward to get into range of the doomwheel and GG2 faces SS1. I forget the waywatchers! Guess they deserve a vacation, though they could have been helpful later on.
Magic: 11+2 vs 8+1. I 6 dice regrowth on GG1 from the treeman with throne, 5 glade guard returns. He dispels shield of thorns and if I try any other spell it was either failed or dispelled.
Shooting: The replenished GG1 manages to destroy the doomwheel! GG2 put some wounds on the slaves.
Combat: He doesn’t challenge with his grey seer, in order to avoid the stomps. I put all 6 normal attacks on the seer, hit 6 times and wounds 6 times. He dies. I kill 5 clan rats with thunderstomps and they flee. I restrain pursuit with TA1, in order to charge the big block of slaves and keep them away from the glade guard. I pursue with TA2 in order to get points and I am confident that he can break them again in case they get away and rally next turn. However he catches them with a 9 vs 7+1. 

Skaven Turn 4
Movement: Both slave units moves towards GG2.
Magic: 14 vs 8+1. I dispel warp-lightning vs GG2, not wanting to take a panic on LD8. I also dispel vermintide on the same target for the same reason. He casts skitterleap with his engineer and I try to dispel. He rolls 6 or 7 and adds 1 mage level, I roll 3 dispel dice with a level 2 but get 1+1+2. He moves his engineer to the side of my treeman and I point out that he needs to be on the front to redirect, however I have failed to see his obvious plan. He gets crack’s call on IF but luckily only rolls 10” on his 4d6. Only TA2 is hit but he fails his initiative test and swallowed by the earth! The resulting miscast makes the engineer explode and die.

Wood Elves Turn 4
Movement: The remaining treeman makes a run for it, trying to get back into the battle. At this point it would have been nice to be able to charge the waywatchers into the rear of the slaves, but they remain on vacation. I move GG2 a bit so that if the big unit of slaves charged then I “should” be able to flee and still stay on the table.
Magic: 10vs7. His pit finally opens, it hits 4 glade guard and they all easily evade it. A 2 dice enfeeble on the slaves is failed, not sure why I bothered to improve a dweller on them at this point but I supposed I was just itching to pull off the combo. While a dwellers on the big slave unit would probably make them panic, I decide to first try out wither on the slaves with the priest as I can actually get the points here. I get it off and reduce their toughness by 3!
Shooting: First round of shooting leaves 4 slaves and the priest, they fail their panic. Next round of shooting only scores 4 hits, he allocates to his slaves and while they all die the priest survives.

Post-game
Even though one treeman ancient was swallowed by the earth, he will regrow eventually to rejoin his brother. Having routed the skaven, the group could now travel into the desert and attempt to rejuvenate it from within. It would take a long time and great effort to regrow the barren wasteland, but even the longest journey starts with a single step and besides, treemen are well known for their stubborn nature!

We had to stop the game, as the store was closing. Though we only had 2 hours to setup, play and pack we probably should have been able to go a bit further than turn 4 considerig the small armies. We mainly spent a lot of time on the magic phases, having 10+ spells each and tons of dice makes them really complicated and confusing! They also take up a lot of space in the report because of this.

After breaking his clan rats, I felt assured I had the game bagged. Failing to dispel skitterleap was very unlucky and nearly cost me both treemen, though I would probably still have won it would be by a much smaller margin. I wasn’t sure if using the scroll early on was a good idea or not, but I really wanted to take out that cannon. Maybe I should have deployed both waywatcher units near the cannon so that losing a single unit would be okay. Also, since the cannon isn’t flaming it has a very small chance to out-right kill a treeman and combined with life magic, I would probably have been better off saving the scroll for a crack’s call.

The doomwheel is harsh, I played against it multiple times in the past but at least armour piercing shots really help against it. I will certainly remember that it takes a normal chariot dangerous terrain test due to the faq and it makes me wonder if reading all of the faqs might be a good idea. Also, what is your opinion about crack’s call in close combat?

My opponent took the defeat in high spirit and we had a very nice time together with the store keeper. We were the only three people left in the store, 2 Swedish people and a Danish person in the middle of London. I can highly recommend the store, it’s in Plaza near Oxford Circus. I took over another territory and that was the end of the story.

Pictures (URL's for bigger images):

The campaign map before the battle (my markers are the blue glass beads and the orange thing represents the waystone):
http://s1103.photobucket.com/user/Thoma ... ort=3&o=15

The brave wood elves looking over the hordes of approaching rats!
http://s1103.photobucket.com/user/Thoma ... sort=3&o=4

The oaken twins in all their majesty! (New bases incoming, painted when I was a kid).
http://s1103.photobucket.com/user/Thoma ... sort=3&o=2

The lumberjack tag team approaches!
http://s1103.photobucket.com/user/Thoma ... sort=3&o=5

A furious treeman reaches the enemy seer:
http://s1103.photobucket.com/user/Thoma ... sort=3&o=1

Campaign map after the battle:
http://s1103.photobucket.com/user/Thoma ... sort=3&o=0

I won’t be able to join the campaign next week, but I might get a 2k/2.5k game in on Saturday. Let me know what you think about the reports and if you want any changes!
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

I'd say a charge from the WR would make the next turn go in your favor really (on the lizz battle)
Baardah
Former Council Member
Armies I play: WE, Dwarf, HE, Skaven, VC, O&G

Post by Baardah »

Great and interesting battle reports
My summer night wood elves
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.
That item would be in every list.

That item is a horse...
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Mollesvinet - 2015-01-10 - Forest Dragon meets dwarfs 2k

Post by Mollesvinet »

First of all, thanks to Naggie and whoever else have been involved in getting asrai.org up and running again!

Pre-battle
This was a casual game against the store manager, Albert, in games-workshop in South Kensington London. We took a 2000 point game, dwarfs versus wood elves. I had my forest dragon Gregory with me, so I was a bit scared to find out that I was facing dwarven warmachines! My list was as follows:

Lords (785pts)
Glade Lord (540pts)
Charmed Shield, Sword of Anti-Heroes, Talisman of Preservation, The Other Trickster's Shard, Asrai Longbow, Forest Dragon, Hand Weapon, Light Armor

Spellweaver (245pts)
Dispel Scroll, Level 4 Lore of Metal

Heroes (130pts)

Glade Captain (130pts)
Hail of Doom Arrow, Asrai Longbow, Battle Standard, Hand Weapon, Light Armor

Core (617pts)

21x Eternal Guard (297pts)
Champion, Musician, Shields, Standard Bearer, Banner of Swiftness

10x Glade Guard (160pts)

10x Glade Guard (160pts)

Special (418pts)

5x Deepwood Scouts (80pts)
Hagbane Tips

Hagbane Tips

Hagbane Tips

6x Wild Riders (178pts)
Champion, Shields

Rare

Great Eagle

My list was basically designed as a synergy between eternal guard for ranks and the dragon along with the wild riders for damage. Lore of metal was there to deal with armour, but also to give out glittering robes for 2+ armour save wild riders and 3+ armour save eternal guard. Plus, enchanted blades would be really good on the dragon for the +1 to hit and armour piercing for both rider and dragon. Champions everywhere to avoid having the dragon challenged out.

My opponents list, except some items, was as follows:

Rune Lord
Dispel rune that makes you forget a spell

BSB Thane
Oath stone

Engineer

48 Longbeards

8 irondrakes
Torpedo thingie

Organ gun
Cannon
Fire thrower

A very compact army indeed!

My spells were:
Plague of rust, enchanted blades, glittering robes, final transmutation

Basically the perfect spells. I opted not to take any damage spells, as his main block would most likely have high magic resistance and his irondrakes have a 2+ ward against flaming. 

Deployment
There are three normal buildings and in the lower left is an arcane ruin. The left forest is my venom thicket and the right forest is a mysterious one.

I get to choose sides, so I pick the one with the biggest building to hide my dragon behind. I set up my forest so that no matter what side he chooses, then there would be a forest present.

I start by deploying my eagle, and he responds by putting down his main block of long beards. At this point it is pretty clear what is going to happen, so I set my main forces in front of him and the wild riders to zoom around the flank. The scouts go on the flank as well, to hopefully kill his organ gun turn 1.

At this point I make the mistake to deploy too close to his battleline, I should have stayed 30 inches away from his deployment zone in case he got the first turn. I also vanguard the wild riders up too far, as you can see on the next picture. They should probably have stayed behind the building to avoid the organ gun, in case he got the first turn. Surprisingly to me it turns out that his irondrakes have the vanguard rune, so they move to protect the organ gun and look at my scouts. Nice touch, in my opinion, so that irondrakes can get a target without having to move in their first turn.
He finishes deployment first, gets the +1 and goes first. 

Dwarfs turn 1

Movement: No movement at all. Possibly he moves the longbeards forward a bit, but not a lot as far as I remember.

Shooting: Irondrakes kills 3 scouts, they roll box cars on their panic test but only flees 3 inches. His organ gun shoot at my wild riders, he rolls a 2 followed by a 2 which is rerolled into a misfire. The single resulting shot hits, wounds but is saved on the ward save. His flame cannon shoots at GG2, he needs 8 to reach them but gets it and kills 6 glade guards. This leaves the BSB without a look-out-sir, and he gets blasted by the cannon for 6 wounds! My opponent about to choose another target to be nice to me, as it was our first game, but I told him to go for it.

Wood Elves Turn 1

Movement: The scouts rally. Wild riders move into charge range of the irondrakes. My eternal guard moves back slightly to get out of range of the fire cannon and my glade guard move into range of the organ gun. Finally the eagle moves closer to the dwarves.

Magic: 8v5 – I use 3 dice for plague of rust on the irondrakes, which he dispels with all of his dice. I then use the remaining 5 dice on final transmutation on the longbeards. He uses a rune to dispel it, but fails to roll 4+ which would make me forget the spell. This will turn out to hurt him badly next turn.

Shooting: Both glade guard units only manage to put 1 wound on the organ gun. The first 5 scouts roll a single 6, but the second unit does not. This leaves the organ gun with 1 wound remaining… Disaster!

Dwarfs Turn 2

Movement: Marches his longbeards forward.

Shooting: The flame cannon hits 2 glade guard and the eagle, the two glade guard die but he fails to wound the eagle. The cannon aims for the eagle, but misses it by a few millimeters. The irondrakes shoot at the wild riders, but only kill 1. The organ gun then opens up on the wild riders, this time spitting out 12 shots and annihilating the entire unit. Scouts pass their panic, so do the glade guard.

Wood Elves Turn 2

Movement: At this point I am down by a lot of points, so I decide it is time to man up. The eternal guard moves up to threaten the longbeards and the dragon comes out of hiding as well. The great eagle moves up to threaten his cannon. I know his cannon is still there, but at least I have the charmed shield and hopefully the eagle can also shield me.

Magic: 3+1v2 – My mage is just out of short range with transmutation, but I decide to go for it anyway as I need 14 on 4 dice which is exactly average. I pull it off and he fails to roll double 6 to dispel. The spell then goes crazy, it kills 20 longbeards and his rune lord. They pass their panic, on the BSB reroll.

Shooting: Scouts finish off the organ gun and puts a wound on the irondrakes. Glade guard try to shoot the fire cannon, but fails to wound. The dragon unleashes fumes on the longbeards, killing 2 and giving them stupidity.

Dwarfs Turn 3

Movement: He pass his stupidity test on the longbeards and charge the eternal guard, but fails the charge on an 8 when he needed 9. The unit instead stumbles forward 6 inches. The engineer moves to the cannon.

Shooting: Iron drakes kill 1 scout. The cannon hits both the eagle and the dragon, but he rolls a 1 to wound the eagle.

Wood Elves Turn 3

Movement: The eagle charges the cannon, it fails the charge and takes a wound from the engineers rifle. The eternal guard and the dragon pull off a double charge on the longbeards.

Magic: 3v2 – I cast glittering scales on the eternal guard and that’s it.

Shooting: I fail to wound the fire thrower with the glade guard. The scouts do 6 wounds to the irondrakes, but they save 3.

Combat: He challenges with his thane, and my eternal guard champion accepts. My champion survives the challenge due to glittering robe. The dragon only does one thunderstomp, but I still win the combat by 3. I totally forgot about the other trickster’s shard, otherwise he would have had to reroll a couple of parry saves! He has a rune which let him roll his first test on a single d6, so he passes. 

Dwarfs Turn 4

Shooting: The cannon fires at my eagle, but only deals 1 wound! Luckiest eagle in the world!

Combat: My champion survive another round, again due to glittering robe. He only hits with 2 out of 14 attacks, and in return I kill a lot of dwarves. His longbeards break and he conceits the game.

Post-battle Musings

I did quite badly for deployment in my own opinion. First of all I should have had my glade guard 30 inches away from his deployment zone, so that his organ gun couldn’t reach me if he got the first turn. Had he targeted my spellweavers unit with the organ gun and followed up with the cannon, then the game could have been very different. I also vanguarded the wild riders too far, they should have stayed in cover behind the building.

Apart from that I think I did okay, but I was also very lucky at times! My opponent said that his main mistake was to move forward with his longbeards at all. I suppose that is correct, but after removing the organ gun and the flame thrower his army wouldn’t have anything left to really hurt me without them.

I really liked the dragon lord’s equipment, charmed shield made me confident enough to move out even before the cannon was dead. I forgot about the other tricksters shard, but the sword of antiheroes was quite nice especially at the price. The flame attack of the dragon is really weak… I think I should have saved it for the battle. Two dead longbeards outside of battle makes no difference at all, but killing one or two inside battle can make the difference between them breaking or not breaking.

Metal magic as a main lore was nice, especially with the units I took along. I was looking forward to see wild riders with 2+ save, but the eternal guard with a 3+ was solid as each saved wound influences the final combat score. The winds of magic were usually low, but it served me okay as I could get off the most important spell and he wouldn’t have enough dice to dispel it. The final transmutation was crazy, I rolled like a daemon on that one!

My biggest concern was when I took the dragon out. I was afraid if he would first target it with the flame cannon, thus getting rid of the charmed shield and then with the normal cannon. Even if he had known that I had the charmed shield, then I still think it was a mistake to target the eagle along with the dragon.

It was a fun game and we had a nice time on a slow day with not so many customers. If anyone has any comments or questions, please let me know.
Last edited by Mollesvinet on 12 Jan 2015, 15:52, edited 1 time in total.
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by NonnoSte »

Hi Mollesvinet,
nice game and a well deserved victory.

He made a bad move coming forward with Longbeards indeed.
Had he remained back, you would have been forced in the open with your dragon for longer to get to them and you would have been on the front as well, instead of on the back.
About that, OTS forces rerolls on MODELS in base to base contact and he shouldn't be able anyway to perform a parry save on the back (ie with all the longbeards in contact with your dragon), am I wrong?

A last curiosity: why did you aimed to Irondrakes with your Scouts?
I think that keeping to shoot to his warmachines would have avoided you some fire at some point, as well as rewarding you with more VPs. It's just my thought, but I'm curious about it.
I think that once WR went down the Drakes could not pose a real threat on any of your other unit (even EG in two turns could have suffered 4-5 casualties, right?).
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Hi NonnoSte,

nice to hear from you!

The longbeards have the shieldwall special rule, so they get parries even to the rear. He saved a couple of wounds that way, but it probably wouldn't have changed a big deal anyway. I just need to remember what i pay to get in the list!

The organ gun was enthrenced, so it had heavy cover. Since i was at long range to it, I either had to stand still to shoot it or move dangerously close to the irondrakes. It is not evident on this picture, but the irondrakes where also partly blocking the flame cannon. So yeah, on turn 3 i could probably have made a better effort to shoot at the flame cannon but it wasn't easy.

Thanks for your reply!