Mollesvinet - 2016-06-27 - Call to War 2016 List

Here is the place for all your reports of battles against those who seek to defile our sacred glades.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Mollesvinet - 2015-02-07 - Tournament list tryout vs Ogr

Post by Mollesvinet »

NonnoSte wrote:Out of curiosity, what was the outcome of the match?
You kept all of your characters alive, as well as your Glade Riders unit, the two units of Waywatchers and the two of Glade Guards (all he most valuable ones) so I think you should have won by a decent margin.
Anyway Ogres are good at keeping points when you can't finish their units and I think he still had something like 1200-1300 VP on the table against your 1500-1600. is that right?
I believe your calculations are correct, we didn't calculate the result and just called it a win to the wood elves. At least I killed his general, which netted me an extra 100 points. I know it doesn't say in the list, but actually the shadow weaver is the general. Wild riders are already LD9 and the glade riders will be LD9 from having the high weaver join. Since the glade riders are usualy out and about, that means that the shadow weaver will be closer to more LD8 units.
NonnoSte wrote: Wild Riders could have had more room to move on the right side, so I would have placed them on that flank or at least centrally (shifting them on the right with vanguard). On the contrary, Waywatchers had their real target on the left flank. What happened?
Well, as mentioned in the report I flunked deployment big time. I wanted to put the wild riders on the right flank, but then I put the eagle and glade guard too close to the edge so that I would have to deploy wild riders behind them. About the waywatchers, I was simply tunnel-visioning on getting my spellweaver to join them in my own forest. They should definitely have been near the mournfang! To be fair though, he did have many more drops than me so some things were hard to predict.
NonnoSte wrote: In turn 2 I can't understand why he elected to overrun out of the table with the Stonehorn. Reforming on the spot, he would have had a nice charge through your backlines, getting one unit of Glade Guards after the other.
He said he wanted to protect it from shooting.
NonnoSte wrote: In turn 3 why didn't you parked your Eagle in front of the last Mournfangs to block them and thus creating a safe route of escape for your Glade Riders bunker? Were you simply worried of the DT in your path?
When I wrote the report, I was wondering the same thing. However, it worked out after all, but the alternative would have been much safer for the glade riders.
NonnoSte wrote: Lastly, in turn 6 have you considered to overrun with GR after defeating the Ironblaster? wouldn't you be far enough to flee safely the charge of the Stonehorn, afterall you had swiftstrife to favour your escape too.
What if Mindrazor didn't go off? you would have been in a really bad spot with your general? (you wouldn't have been sure to defeat the IB and you could have recieved the charge of the Monster on the flank)
I charged to have some fun, probably wouldn't have done so if it really mattered. However, I really needed points so maybe I would. I think it would be safe to assume to get either wither or mindrazor off, considering he had no scroll. The ironblaster already took some wounds, so it should go down. Overrunning would put me into the charge arc of the iron guts, so I didn't do that. I could have easily fled from the stonehorn, but I wanted to take my chances with mindrazor up (and I forgot the crazy amount of impact hits).
NonnoSte wrote: More in general, I think you should have killed the Sabretusk in your first two turns (I would have shot at it with WW before going for IB and even MC) since it was a real annoyance the whole game.
Yes I know and I usually would. I had many openings to shot it with scouts, as I would usually do, but I don't know why I let it live.
NonnoSte wrote: Your Great Eagle on the left didn't do much if not staying alive. Probabli it could have delayed some of the units closing on your Glade Riders bunker.
It could have made life easier for the glade riders. I try to not make it a habit to throw the eagle away just for the sake of it, so sometimes they will survive and not do much.
NonnoSte wrote: On a last note, I know the difficulty to keep up High tokens in good numbers with low magic phases. Probably the Steed helps to treat the Highweaver more like a normal Spellweaver in these situations, where the Unicorn leaves her with a bullseye on te forhead. How have you felt about her without counters? Was it such a great issue? Surely the Stonehorn impact hits would have been soaked up by counters in an optimistic scenario, but you could also have avoided that last charge. There were many other situations in this match where you felt in need of counters?
To be honest, it has not been a problem yet. The tokens are nice, but not essential. Their main survivability comes from their speed.

Overall it was a messy game that turned out okay in the end. I didn't get a lot of sleep (I work night shift), so maybe that could be a factor. I will hopefully have another game on Saturday and I hope to prove that I learnt from these mistakes. As mentioned, I would rather make stupid mistakes now than during the tournament. Thanks for your comment as always!
Git
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs & Goblins, Skaven

Post by Git »

Interesting game. I agree with both your own and NonnoSte's analysis, and you seem like you learn from your mistakes. I look forward to see you make more.
...battlereports. And mistakes. We learn from mistakes. ;)
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

I really enjoy making them. The battle reports that is. Well, and the mistakes! (as long as they can be learnt from)
sunstrider
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by sunstrider »

Awesome battle reports! I really like how detailed they are and the visual aides as well. Just like the battle reps in the old white dwarf :D

Thanks for sharing
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Mollesvinet - 2015-02-14 - Tournament list tryout vs HOT

Post by Mollesvinet »

Thank you for the kind words sunstrider. While I really enjoy making the reports themselves, I must admit that I enjoy the comments and discussions even more.

Pre-game
Another practice game with my tournament list, this time time against Luke whom I have played before when he was using his lizardmen. This was his second time to try out his new elves, so a bit of a mis-match in competitiveness. Anyway, my list is the same as seen in the first thread:

http://asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=2 ... 25#p347427

His army was roughly like this:
High Elves Archmage – Talisman of preservation, Book of Hoek, Level 4 life
Anointed of Asyrian – No idea
BSB – Sword of +1S and a magic shield
Spellsinger –Dispel Scroll, level 2 beast
About 30 eternal guard – Full command, banner of swiftness, shields
10 glade guard – trueflight arrows, musician
5 wild riders – full command
5 wild riders –full command
6 waywatchers
6 waywatchers
Frostheart phoenix

For spells we rolled:
Archmage: Earthblood (from wrath of the forest), throne of vines, flesh to stone and regrowth
Spellsinger: Wyssan (from amber spear) and curse of anreheir
Shadowweaver: Miasma (from pendulum), wither, enfeebling foe and pit of shades
Highweaver: Soul quench (from walk between worlds), hand of glory, arcane unforging and fiery convocation

We played battle line with standard 8th magic rules.  

Deployment[/b}

I choose the side, the one with no forests so that I had more options for moonstoning. I then got to choose who deployed first, I went first because that would give me the +1 to start. I got the first scouting as well, and I put down my starfire scouts close to his wild riders to avoid them from vanguarding closer to me. He then put down his waywatchers in the left-most forest. I put my poison scouts to shoot at his phoenix and my waywatchers to ambush his own waywatchers. I vanguarded my WR2 a bit back, into the forest for the cover. He vanguarded his WR2 behind his glade guard, as will be shown on the next diagram. I didn’t vanguard WR1, in case they needed to charge his waywatchers and to give him penalties for long range in case he went first. I rolled a 6 to go first and took turn 1, which was pretty important in this match. 

Wood Elves Turn 1

Movement: Both wild rider units moves up. The highweaver makes sure to be within 24” of his characters. Starfire scouts move a bit back. I forget to move the eagles, but it doesn’t matter much.

Magic: 6v3. I put 4 dice into arcane unforging on his archmage. I actually wanted to take his scroll caddie, but he was out of range. He tries to dispel with 3 dice, but fails and I destroy his Book of Hoek. I decide to go for fiery convocation on his big unit, as I have forgot my power scroll in previous games. It goes off, but he decides to use his dispel scroll. A scroll for a scroll.

Shooting: GG1 and the waywatchers leave only 1 of my opponents waywatchers alive. GG2 kill 3 wild riders and the 3 scout units do 2 or 3 wounds to the frost phoenix.

HOTEK Turn 1

Movement: He moves forward with most of his army. The phoenix moves to my left, within 12” of the archmage. I discover that I moved my WR1 up too far, as his glade guard unit can get into range of them after a swift reform.

Magic: 5v3. He use 3 dice for flesh to stone on the eternal guard, which I let him have. This also heals the phoenix. He then use 2 for earthblood, but I dispel it.

Shooting: His glade guard kill 3 of my wild riders. The waywatcher in the tower shoot at my mage bunker and takes off a token.

Wood Elves Turn 2

Movement: Glade riders do not show up. Waywatchers and the highweaver move into range of his glade guard. The poison scouts make a line of sight to his phoenix, but the starfire ones aim for the his small wild rider unit or something. Eagles move up and WR1 moves closer to the fray. GG1 suspiciously creeps closer to the forest.

Magic: 10v6. I cast pit of shades on his phoenix, but he dispels it with all of his dice. I then cast hand of glory on the highweaver, but only boost her BS by 1. I cast soul quench on his glade guard, killing 5. I am not sure what to do with the last 3 dice, so I decide to use arcane unforging on his BSB but he has 4+ ward save due to magic res and I even fail to destroy his magical blade.

Shooting: The waywatchers leave 2 glade guard and the spellsinger. I decide to fire the hail of doom, hoping to kill off the spellsinger. However I only hit 3 times due to negative modifiers, I do wound on all hits though. I manage to put another poison wound on the phoenix but the starfire scouts and GG2 fails to do a single wound to his 2 wild riders!

HOTEK Turn 2

Movement: His white lions try to charge my scouts, I stand and shoot and he fails to roll a 10. His frost phoenix moves to threaten GG1 and my spellweaver. His lone mage runs into the forest and the 2 wild riders decide to hide. The rest of his army moves forward.

Magic: ?v?. I honestly can’t remember what he did here, I think I let him buff the eternal guard and dispel something else.

Shooting: The single waywatcher takes a shot at something, but fails to do much.

Wood Elves Turn 3

Movement: I restrain WR1 from charging the phoenix, that would only have gone badly for them. The glade riders arrive, and the high weaver joins them. Waywatchers move closer to the center and WR1 goes there to support. On second thought, they should probably have gone behind the phoenix to put some pressure on the eternal guard. My scouts fall back and take aim at the incoming wild riders. GG1 swift reform, move into the forest and teleports to the center.

Magic: 7v4. I use 2 dice to cast miasma on the phoenix to lower its initiative, as it was upgraded due to his winds of magic. I then use a single die to cast hand of glory, and he bravely dispels it with a single die as well. Finaly I cast 4 dice at pit on the phoenix, but he manages to dispel it.

Shooting: The scouts take out the incoming wild riders. GG2 kills about 4 white lions. One unit of waywatchers kill his 2 remaining wild riders, but 20 waywatcher and 19 glade rider shots fail to do the last wound to his spellsinger!

HOTEK Turn 3

Movement: The spellsinger joins the waywatcher in the building. His eternal guard and white lions move up towards the scouts.

Magic: He gets off regrowth on the white lions (not EG as diagram says), regrowing all but 1. He also saved one dice after I used all mine to dispel something else, and it turned out he had the ring of soul quench but he failed cast on a 2.

Shooting: The waywatcher doesn’t do much.

Wood Elves Turn 4

Movement: Glade riders move out of charge arc of the frosty. WR1 prepares to charge the building. Two scout units move up to double flee his eternal guard, while GG2 and the last scouts take aim at the white lions.

Magic: 10v6. I cast hand of glory with two dice, he lets me have it. I cast soul quench on the phoenix with 2, he lets me have it and takes 1 wound or maybe it was saved. I then 6 dice wither on the bird and he fails to dispel it.

Shooting: The phoenix succumbs to arrows. All but 1 white lion die.

HOTEK Turn 4

Movement: The white lion charges the upper scouts and die on the stand and shoot. The EG charges both scouts (I pass the panic from fleeing through the unit) and his eternal guard are stuck.

At this point he gets a bit upset at the absurdity of double fleeing, and I am the first one to admit that it was a bit too much and that I shouldn’t have done that in a friendly game as things are going. We call the game at this point. 

Post-game
Well, a crushing victory. As mentioned, my opponent just started playing elves so of course he was still trying out lists and getting used to the playstyle. Getting the first turn really helped me, but I think my list was pretty much the paper against his rock.

After the game we discussed his list and playstyle. I think one of the major flaws was life magic… Maybe it is just me, but life magic is just not very good. I think he will try with high magic against another opponent tomorrow. Walk between worlds could really increase the mobility of his bunker. I have been playing with eternal guard myself in a lot of previous games, but without serious spells they just don’t do enough damage. While he has many choices in the hotek list, he is steadfast on using eternal guard and will try to make it work.

This is the first time I fought against the frostheart phoenix, that thing is brutal. About the same price as a treeman, but so much better! Had he used it more aggressively it could really have posed me a lot of trouble! Combining aggressive move with eternal guard and boxing the enemy in with the phoenix should work well.

I forgot my camera, so no pictures today. Comments and critique is welcome as always!
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Well played Thomas!

Your opponent needs Shadow for those EG I believe. Life is better for aggressive lists that already have lots of high Strength attacks.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Thank you Phil. Yeah, shadow is great for any elves army. My list started out with eternal guard housing the level 4 shadow, but then i thought to myself:

What does eternal guard provide that other elves with bows does not?

Stubborn... Well, but skirmishers are stubborn in a forest.

Extra rank of attack... Well, but waywatchers have two hand weapons.

One point of WS, but with both miasma and hand of glory in the list that shouldn't matter much.

So really the only thing left is static combat res, in the form of banner and ranks. But if they need mindrazor to do anything anyway... Of course the ranks help them to break steadfast, but if you are fighting in a forest anyway then that is not a problem.

I do miss more close combat in the list, i mean, this game was fought entirely without combat. That being said, the wild riders usually go into favorable combats. I might try some rangers or something in later lists, or perhaps give the eternal guard another chance.
pliny
Newcomer
Newcomer

Mollesvinet - 2015-02-14 - Tournament list tryout vs HOTEK

Post by pliny »

In case any other nooobs like me need it the double flee thread is here: http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=23578
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Post by Billthesurly »

Any time you can begin a game with your opponent's army tucked neatly into an L-shaped kill box you're probably going to have a good time. Our brother elves are hideously vulnerable to massed archery and your use of terrain to break up his advance was well done. Using the Moonstone to teleport behind an advancing enemy is a favorite tactic of mine and works almost every time. After all, they can stand there and get shot up or they can advance to try to get to grips and let me get behind them. Love that Moonstone. Finally, you went first. When shooty armies are involved and both are low toughness, that's a VERY big deal.

Word of advice - when playing a noob, particularly for the first time, tell them that you are going to pull every dirty trick, fancy tactic and rule loop-hole you know on him and then proceed to do so. Explain in detail what you did and how he can prevent such things in the future. It makes the noob grateful for the information and then they don't get all frustrated and want to quit. It demonstrates that it is not his army losing or his intelligence in question - it's just a matter of experience. It also makes them a better player which makes for better games. :thumbsup:
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

TBH Thomas I'm slightly suspicious of all-Glade Guard Core. Usually it's strong but vs some WoC, Daemons, HE monster mash it's more static units that risk being run over. I think 2x10 is almost always good but GR's are a good choice for the rest.

The main alternative (aside from all-Cav) is 20 EG. They are just harder to run over than archers because they have Stubborn and numbers. Might not matter so much but there is still something left to Mindrazor after the enemy charge and take 10 models off.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Thank you everyone for your comments!
pliny wrote:In case any other nooobs like me need it the double flee thread is here: http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=23578
Good call on the link. It is a tricky manoeuvre, but very useful.
Billthesurly wrote:Word of advice - when playing a noob, particularly for the first time, tell them that you are going to pull every dirty trick, fancy tactic and rule loop-hole you know on him and then proceed to do so. Explain in detail what you did and how he can prevent such things in the future. It makes the noob grateful for the information and then they don't get all frustrated and want to quit. It demonstrates that it is not his army losing or his intelligence in question - it's just a matter of experience. It also makes them a better player which makes for better games. :thumbsup:
Yeah i do agree with you, making mistakes or stupid decisions on purpose then the game will easily be ruined. However, i would always bring a softer list against someone who haven't played much before or who is learning a new army. In this case, i did not know who I would be playing against plus i am practicing for the tournament. The moonstone is indeed golden, especially now that it can be used each turn!
Phil Rossiter wrote:TBH Thomas I'm slightly suspicious of all-Glade Guard Core. Usually it's strong but vs some WoC, Daemons, HE monster mash it's more static units that risk being run over. I think 2x10 is almost always good but GR's are a good choice for the rest.

The main alternative (aside from all-Cav) is 20 EG. They are just harder to run over than archers because they have Stubborn and numbers. Might not matter so much but there is still something left to Mindrazor after the enemy charge and take 10 models off.
I suppose you are right. I really like my old eternal guard models, so i do want to put them on the table. I will definately put some more thought into different ways of using them! It is just so easy to say: 20 eternal guard means 20 less bows, 20 less bows for 6 turns is 120 less shots. But then again, they do offer another tool which can be really helpful. I mean, if you can get wild riders into the flanks of your opponent you finally have the ranks to break their big units.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Mollesvinet - 2015-03-06 - I'll blood II result

Post by Mollesvinet »

The last couple of games on this thread have been practice games for a tournament, and now the tournament has been completed. It was my first tournament, and a lot of fun! I met many interesting people and will probably join a group of players who play most weekends. I also met Phil Rossiter from this forum, extremely nice guy and good to put a face on the name. I won’t make a detailed report for each game, as my brain cannot contain all that information. I took some pictures on day one, but apparently the camera was on “macro mode” so almost all of them turned out a blur. I will make sure to take better pictures next time. My list can be found here in the earlier threads (can’t post links atm for some reasons).

Game 1: 7-13 loss versus warriors of chaos
Daemon prince of nurgle, lord (or BSB?) on disc, level 4 tzeentch on foot, warriors with blasted standard, 6 chaos knights, 3 chaos ogres?, a unit of dogs and a chariot

I can’t remember this game too well, but I remember that I failed like 75% of my leadership tests! This made me reconsider going to war without a bsb. For example he flew his disc character up to my shadow-weaver and waywatchers, breathed flames on them and I fail my panic test. Then in my own turn I fail to rally and they are off. Also my glade riders didn’t arrive before turn 4.

I failed to kill any of his combat characters, but I wiped out his chaos knights on turn 1 with waywatchers and later all of his chaos warriors and his level 4. I also got rid of the dogs and the chariot, but the ogres survived with 1 model. In the end it was a loss, but a small loss.

Game 2: 0-20 loss versus high elves
Block of white lions with dragon banner, block of phoenix guard, double frost phoenix and silver helm + reaver core with an archmage, a bsb and a lord on an eagle.

I managed to kill the reavers, silver helms, archers and a phoenix but got decimated from the rest. He could potentially cast soul quench twice per phase which was painful and a fiery convocation took out my shadow weaver after she did 2 wounds to herself on miscasts. I did some mistakes, like allowing for a rear charge from his eagle lord into my wild riders. My other wild riders convinced my spellweaver to charge the phoenix guard head on, which was a bad idea (failed frenzy check). I then decided to try and charge in my glade riders in the flank to support, but that was just serving him more points on a platter. A very interesting game against an opponent who really knew his list.

The threat range of phoenixes and the sturdiness of the two blocks made it very hard for me to move around the board! Though he did get a bit lucky with those phoenixes, as one saved 5 wounds from shooting on turn 1 and another survived pit of shades (50/50 but still).

Game 3: 20-0 victory versus wood elves
We had very similar lists indeed. He had a block of hagbane glade guard instead of my glade riders and another unit of wild riders at the cost of some waywatchers.

He had more drops than me, so I got the +1 and went first which was huge. He also swapped tempest where as I kept it, and it really helped against his hagbane archer block. I focused on his trueshot glade guard and waywatchers, killing half of them on turn 1. The speed of the glade riders made it easy for me to get all my bowfire to him, where as he was very static with only glade guard for core. He also kept casting withering and would dispel it himself to change the target, I think this was a mistake as it was a waste of power dice. I actually never tried to dispel it, since he would cast it at my waywatchers but get minus 3 or 4 to hit them anyway.

I did get a bit lazy at one point, when he had moved 6 wild riders up in front of 12 glade guard and 10 waywatchers. I decided not to move my glade guard backwards, as I was pretty sure I would destroy the unit. However, I only killed 3 wild riders with all those bows and lost the unit of glade guard since I could not stand and shoot.

In the end I tabled him.

Game 4: 10-10 draw versus chaos warriors
Daemon prince of khorne, daemon prince of slaneesh lvl 4 shadow, immortal bsb on disc, sorcerer lvl1 shadow, a chariot, warriors, chimera, marauders on horse, 2x wardogs and a huge lightning ogre thing.

I managed to shoot his daemon prince of slaanesh which was my main target, as to close down his magic. I did this by chasing the prince around with waywatchers using the moonstone. I stupidly offered my highweaver and a unit of wild riders to his BSB which he took, luckily they survived for many turns before being destroyed.

My shadow-weaver and waywatchers eventually got caught by the warriors, but managed to kill quite a few with mindrazor and miasma. It was the only way to get to the daemon prince, and I set it up so that the warriors needed to roll a 7 to charge an eagle redirecting other things and then 5 for the overrun. He managed both which spelled the end for my weaver. To add insult, the sorcerer turned into a new daemon prince by drinking the chalice.

I baited his chimera into attacking my wild riders with the flame banner and managed the 4 wounds to kill it. The banner has a flame painted onto it, and my opponent cursed himself for not noticing this!

This was the only game I didn’t finish, and we stopped at turn 5. This was in my favour, as I would have lost more points than him in the last turn. Nevertheless it was a very interesting game and my opponent was extremely nice and even let me redo a flee reaction at one point.

Game 5: 20-0 victory versus chaos warriors
Nurgle daemon prince level 4 death, immortal lord on disc, bsb on daemonic mount, trogg, level 2 tzeentch on disc, 5 trolls, 3 skullcrushers, 3 chariots. So few models!!!

On turn 1 he saved 3 out of 4 wounds on his prince from my waywatchers, which made me nervous. He then had to choose between a long charge into my shadow-weaver and glade guard or a short charge into some scouts with a chance of overrunning into an eagle. Luckily for me he took the second option and failed to overrun into the eagle. He also failed to get any wounds back from the combat.

Next turn I used 8 waywatchers to shoot at him, needing 4’s to hit and manage to roll three 6’s to wound. He fails all and the prince is no more. In the same turn I also charge my eternal flame wild riders into trogg, the 5 trolls and the bsb. My shadow-weaver teleports into range and manages to cast mindrazor on them. Finally, my other unit of wild riders and the highweaver charge the skullcrushers. Trogg and 4 trolls die to the wild riders, his bsb and remaning troll breaks. I catch the troll and overrun into his mage. The other unit of wild riders do 5 wounds (was hoping for 6), I win combat by 1 and he fails his break-test even with a reroll. I catch them and overrun into the flank of a chariot. The highweaver survives both combats with 1 wound remaining.

The last 2 turns is basically me trying to cast arcane unforging on his lord and shooting him to death. I get unforging on him twice, first time I actually get to try and destroy his ward save but roll a 1 and second time I destroy his dragon-helm. On the sixth turn, the highweaver miscast and put a small template on herself but I roll a 1 to wound (she would have been safe with tokens, but for some reason I forgot about that). Also on the last turn the last unit I shoot at him are the waywatchers, and I manage to sneak in the last wound at this point and thus tabling him.
I was very lucky in this game and had some nice opportunities which I grabbed. I gave the guy my best sports, as he took it really well and preserved a high spirit.

Tournament result
I ended at 57VP out of 100 which gave me 9th place out of 32. Going into it I was hoping for a top half position and said that top 10 would be more than amazing, so I am very satisfied with the result. 

Unit breakdown
Shadow weaver
Solid. I didn’t get many chances to cast pit of shades, but withering was always useful and mindrazor to a great extent won me the last game. The moonstone was awesome, since most of the army was flimsy but mobile my mage would be too easy to catch without it. Also, can’t go wrong with the dispel scroll.

High weaver
Mainly taken for arcane unforging, hand of glory, soul quench and fiery convocation. Arcane unforging didn’t do much, even if I targeted a unkillable chaos character he would have at least 3 items so the chances of getting the right one was pretty low. Hand of glory was really good, especially with the glade riders but also with waywatchers. Fiery convocation was… a bit disappointing. I cast it on some chaos warriors in game 1, but they hardly lost any models (partly due to bad rolls but also because of armor). Having the power scroll to cast it on a 10+ is extremely useful, especially considering the enemy have to dispel at 19+ in the following phase. Soul quench and the hail of doom did some good damage, especially against the wood elves. Overall I was not very impressed with the highweaver, but definitely had uses.

Glade riders
They worked very well when they were not too delayed. However, they really needed hand of glory to shine. They never got caught and with hand of glory they sometimes hit on 2+ which is pretty wicked. In my first game they didn’t arrive before turn 4, but apart from that they arrived on turn 2 or 3. Without hand of glory I probably wouldn’t bother, unless going full glade rider for a cavalry army. I suppose hag/true would work, but then I would be tempted to simply get more shots.

Glade guard
Taken with trueflight arrows they were really useful to clear out chaff. They would get destroyed in most games, unless saved with the moonstone. Combined with withering they could do a lot of damage! Also, they really did a good job against the other wood elves.

Scouts
The hagbane scouts were brilliant, always in range of monsters to shoot at. The starfire scouts however were pretty dissatisfactory. One game had a chimera, but the flame arrows failed to wound it plus I had plenty of targets to shoot at to begin with. I suppose they could have been used against the trolls, but there was not enough time to shoot those down anyway as the entire army had flying and high movement. I might not bring these in the future, unless I really start missing them again.

Wild riders
Solid, as we all know. These guys did a ton of damage. Both banners were useful, the flaming banner made sure I could kill the chimera and especially the trolls. The movement banner was useful but less obviously so, though I did catch some silver helms because of the +1M.
Having these as the only melee could be problematic, since they have no ranks. Combined with eternal guard they could really help break blocks which I am currently struggling with.

Waywatchers
Absolute heroes. These guys killed elven and chaos knights, demon princes and various other armoured targets. I would never leave these guys at home.

Eagle
Very useful, killed in horrible ways in most games.

Next tournament
I enjoyed the tournament so much that I have already signed up for another one, recommended by Phil, which will be held at the end of April. Tomorrow I will have a practice game for that, will try to take some good pictures and write a report. The high elf player and the chaos warrior guy from day 2 invited me to their gaming group, so from now on my opponents should be very tough indeed! This time I will try to get in some more close combat, but we will have to see how that works out tomorrow.

Thanks for reading!
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council

Post by Billthesurly »

Thanks for posting. I find your thread very interesting and satisfying. You're doing all the work. All I have to do is read and enjoy. I can do that. No sweat. :thumbsup:
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Thomas, it was a pleasure to meet you.

I only played one WoC but they were 25% of the field, weren't they? Flaming Breath is very nasty vs elves. I guess we see it coming from Chimaeras but when some dude on a disc does a fly-by with it, that's a bit rude.

Elf games are funny things. PG are a pain but at least they're M5, I guess your Wild Riders just got unlucky. I agree Tempest is generally uninspiring but vs numerous archers it's a good spell.

Well played with the Moonstone. I didn't use it once because the tables I played on only had one small wood each, was this the case for you? Contrast that with a tournament I played last year with two woods per table. Moonstoned all over the place.

I too tried out the Starfire Scouts and found them wanting. Like you I had some trolls to shoot at but at M6 there were faster priorities coming at me. The only thing I really will miss them against is Chimaeras and that's maybe one game in 15?

Interested to see the lists you come up with for London's Burning!
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: All kind of Elves.

Post by NonnoSte »

Thanks for the precious feedback, Mollesvinet.

I guess there's always something to learn and something to gain from any experience.
As Bill said, we just have to read and enjoy. And learn with no sweat.

I wish I lived somewhere closer to England, so I could come from times to times and have some match with you all.

Unfortunately here in Northwest Italy the WHFB scene is not very full of events, so I have a lot of troubles to attend decent tournaments (biggest one was with 14 players).
I really envy you, but I wish you the best of lucks for the next one, nonetheless.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Mollesvinet - 2015-03-06 - I'll Blood II result

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Yeah, we are spoiled a bit for events.

Ironically though, the London area is only now starting to see regular full-size tournaments. The Midlands/North is traditionally the focus area, possibly because GW is based in Nottingham.

Very interestingly, the comp for London's Burning was written by Amit Hindocha, who took the following list to the UK Masters in January:

Spellweaver, High, Lvl4, Dispel Scroll, 4+ Ward
Spellweaver, Shadow, Lvl 4, Power Stone, Moonstone, MR2
BSB, Starfire, Hail of Doom, Charmed Shield, Dragonbane

13 Glade Guard, Trueflight, Std of Discipline, Musician
13 Glade Guard, Trueflight, Std, Musician
12 Glade Guard, Hagbane, Musician

7 Wild Riders, Eternal Flame, Shields
7 Wild Riders, Gleaming Pennant, Shields
6 Wild Riders, Shields

2 x 8 Waywatchers
2 Eagles

Funnily enough this fits almost exactly into the London's Burning comp pack and has lots of lovely Fortitude for the 600 VP's on offer per game.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Billthesurly wrote:Thanks for posting. I find your thread very interesting and satisfying. You're doing all the work. All I have to do is read and enjoy. I can do that. No sweat. :thumbsup:
Thank you Bill, I've always enjoyed your comments on the forum as well. Especially the surly ones! Glad to give you something that you enjoy to read in return.
Phil Rossiter wrote:Well played with the Moonstone. I didn't use it once because the tables I played on only had one small wood each, was this the case for you? Contrast that with a tournament I played last year with two woods per table. Moonstoned all over the place.

I too tried out the Starfire Scouts and found them wanting. Like you I had some trolls to shoot at but at M6 there were faster priorities coming at me. The only thing I really will miss them against is Chimaeras and that's maybe one game in 15?

Interested to see the lists you come up with for London's Burning!
On most of my tables there were 2 forests and then i would bring my own as well. Against the other wood elf we had 4 forests on the table! Good for my trueshot, less so for his hagbane. I think I used the moonstone in 3 or 4 games, very useful item!

I just finished two games today with the prototype for my new list, will write up reports as soon as I can. Suffice to say, the starfire scouts got the boot for now.
NonnoSte wrote: I wish I lived somewhere closer to England, so I could come from times to times and have some match with you all.

Unfortunately here in Northwest Italy the WHFB scene is not very full of events, so I have a lot of troubles to attend decent tournaments (biggest one was with 14 players).
I really envy you, but I wish you the best of lucks for the next one, nonetheless.
This was my first ever tournament, and I really enjoyed it. It's quite taxing for the brain with 5 high level games so close to each other, but very entertaining indeed. Can't wait for the next one. If you ever visit London, then give me a shout and I will see if we can go to a tournament together or something.

I will start writing up the two games from today now, hopefully at least one of them will be ready today. Thanks for reading and commenting everyone!
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Mollesvinet - 2015-03-06 - D&D versus orcs

Post by Mollesvinet »

Pre-game
As I called to book a table for a game later that day, I found out that one of the local store regulars were looking for a game as well. I gladly accepted to have 2 games in a row, and now had the chance to play Patrick and his Orcs & Goblins. My list is a prototype for the list I will bring to my next tournament, the comp pack can be found here:

Comp pack

I wanted to make a more combat oriented list this time, so my core is mainly based around eternal guard. I then decided to take a combat beast mage, as turning into a great fire dragon should be fun. With beasts I felt that I also needed a couple of combat heroes in there. I just started playing with two level 4 mages, and I decided that heavens should work well in conjunction with beasts. First couple of turns, the heavens mage can blast the enemy with comets and lightning bolts and when combat hits the beast mage can buff the hell out of everyone. Also, beast and heavens both has a -1 to hit spell which could work well with curse of the midnight wind. With convergence, I also felt that hagbane was the way to go (plus I am afraid of stomps, so taking out monsters is important). Here is the list as it is so far:

The Druid and the Diviner - Total: 2499

Lords (565pts)
Spellweaver – The Druid (320pts)
Fencer's Blades, Power Stone, Talisman of Preservation, Level 4 Lore of Beasts

Spellweaver – The Diviner (245pts)
Dispel Scroll, Level 4 Lore of Heavens

Heroes (402pts)
Glade Captain (152pts)
Ironcurse Icon, Obsidian Lodestone, Asrai Longbow, Battle Standard, Light Armor, Two Hand Weapons

Shadowdancer (125pts)
Glittering Scales

Shadowdancer (125pts)
Dragonbane Gem, Potion of Strength

Core (640pts)
25x Eternal Guard (320pts)
Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer, Banner of Swiftness

10x Glade Guard (160pts)
Musician, Hagbane Tips

10x Glade Guard (160pts)
Musician, Hagbane Tips

Special (572pts)
5x Deepwood Scouts
Hagbane Tips

5x Deepwood Scouts (80pts)
Hagbane Tips

7x Wild Riders (216pts)
Standard Bearer, Banner of Eternal Flame, Shields

7x Wild Riders (196pts)
7x Shields

Rare (320pts)
8x Waywatchers (160pts)

8x Waywatchers (160pts)

His list was as follows:

Orc Shaman – shrunken head, level 4 big waargh
Goblin shaman – dispel scroll, level 2 small waargh
BSB orc – no idea
Goblin chief on wolf– no idea
About 35 Savage orc big un’s with 2 weapons
About 25 Black Orcs
25 goblins – 3 fanatics, maybe bows
10 boar boys – full command with gleaming pennant
2 mangler squigs
Arachnok
2 doom divers
2 spear chukkas

For spells we had:
Orc shaman – foot spell, reroll attacks spell, 2 more
Goblin shaman – 2 unknown
Druid: Wyssan, savage beast of horros, transformation of kadon, flock or pann
Diviner: Comet, convergence, Blizzard, Lightning bolt 

Deployment
At his top of the table we had from left to right an impassable ruin, a forest that turned out to be a venom thicket and some dangerous terrain ruins. On my side from left to right we had a small and a big building, my own venom thicket, a forest that turned out to be a fungus forest and another small building.

The deployment is pretty straight forward with this army, the EG goes centrally with wild riders for support on each side. The glade guard try to stay near and still have good line of sight. All characters go in the EG, except the heavens mage who joins a glade guard unit. I push the BSB to the second rank and all heroes and champions stay as far away from the mage as possible, since she is prone to explode.

Scouts went for his warmachines and the waywatchers aimed at the goblin wolf and orc boar boys. I finished first, got the +1 and went first as well. I vanguarded a bit with WR2, but WR1 remained as to maybe get a charge on his spider if he moved up too far.

Wood Elves Turn 1
Movement: My eternal guard move into their venom thicket, and wild riders move up to offer flank attacks in case he charges. WR1 is a bit too turned to the right at this picture, as I made sure I could charge the goblins as well if needed.
I also decide to move one unit of scouts up, my reasoning was that 8 waywatchers should be able to kill the goblin chief and then the scouts could charge a warmachine next turn.

Magic: 4v3 I use 3 dice on the comet, but only roll just enough to cast it. He dispels it with his 3 dice. I then try convergence on the diviners own unit, but roll a 2. Fail.

Shooting: GG1 takes out the left mangler squig, my opponent then rolls an 8 for the goblins panic test and a 9 for their flee distance which takes them off the table. Nice! GG2 needs sixes to hit the other squig as they are shooting through the forest, no sixes were rolled. The waywatchers do 2 wounds to the boar boys and only 1 wound to the goblin chief. I think the scouts fails to wound the doom diver.

Orcs & Goblins Turn 1
Movement: Goblin chief charges my scouts, I had them too close to stand and shoot which was stupid. I decide to stay and fight, even though that might save him from shots next turn. Everything else moves up. He forgot to roll for animosity.

Magic: 4v2+1 – he use all 4 dice on foot of gork and gets irresistible force. He aims it at my eternal guard, hits 11, does 9 wounds and I then save 7 of those on my magic resistance. He then stomps 2 times on each wild rider unit, killing a total of 7 wild riders. Finally he tries to stomp on GG2, but deviates off target. The spell then finally stops! He gets a small template for his miscast, killing about 4 savage orcs but ward saves the wound on his shaman.

Shooting: The first doom diver misses. The second doom diver hits the left wild riders and take out the remaining 3 guys. Now I only have 2 wild riders left on the table. The spider goblin misses the glade guard in the building and both spear chukkas miss their targets as well.

Combat: The goblin chief passes his fear of the elves, but the scouts manage to slide a single wound past his armour which kills him. Doom diver passes his panic test. 

Wood Elves Turn 2

Movement: I charge both eternal guard and the remaining two wild riders into his black orcs. I need to roll 7 with the eternal guard but fail and stagger forward 4 inches, enough to take me out of the forest with the majority of the models. The scouts charge the doom diver.

Waywatchers move to shoot at boar boys or the squig, should it survive.

Magic: 5+1v3 – The eternal guard are in a bit of a strife, so I cast bubble horros with all dice and get IF. A small template takes out 3 eternal guard but I pass my save on the mage.

Shooting: GG1 does a single wound to the spider, uh oh. GG2 kills the last squig, the boar boys pass their panic on their gleaming pennant reroll. The waywatchers kill 4-5 boar boys. The scouts do a wound or two on a spear chukka.

Combat: The wild riders fight valiantly, killing 5 black orcs but are slain. The scouts do 2 wounds to the doom diver crew, but break it. They reform to face the spear chukkas and make sure not to offer their flank to any of them. 

Orcs & Goblins Turn 2

Movement: This time he rolls animosity, and the boar boys decide not to do anything this turn. He charges his black orcs into the flank of the eternal guard, but to my surprise he restrains the savage orcs. The spider also charges the building.

Magic: 2v1 – He tries to cast the reroll failed hits on the black orcs, but fails to meet the casting value.

Shooting: The doom diver hits GG2 and kills a single guy. Both spear chukkas miss.

Combat: I make way with the shadowdancer, but my opponents says that only 1 character can make way so the mage stays out of combat. I do the extra attack dance, so each shadowdancer has 8 strength 7 attacks! Combined with the BSB’s 7 attacks, that is enough to take out the entire block of black orcs. I reform to face the savage orcs.

The spider kills about 5 glade guard, but the pass their steadfast test. 

Wood Elves Turn 3

Movement: I charge the eternal guard into the savage orcs and the scouts into a chukka. GG1 leaves the building but GG2 forgets to face the spider.

Magic: 8+2v6 – I am lucky to channel twice, but this sorta makes up for the fact that I forget my power stone. So lets assume I used the power stone here. I spend 5 dice on boosted horros, but it is dispelled with dice. At this point I guessed that his scroll was on the goblin, but I am still left with a conundrum: Do I try to turn into a big beast or cast several buffs and hexes instead. Turning into a big beast would be great, but if I fail I will be in a lot of trouble. Wyssan and blizzard would be more guaranteed, but I am not sure how much difference they will do. In the end I go for the transformation, and manage to turn into the great fire dragon!

Shooting: Kill all but 2 boar boys I think, they pass their panic.

Combat: I put everything into the normal savage orcs, and kill quite a lot of them. He does 1 wound to the fire dragon and quite a lot of wounds to the eternal guard. I think he had 9 hits on them, but rolled 3 or 4 ones so that just about a rank died. In the end he lost combat by 7 and his savage orcs break and gets caught. We call the game at this point. 

Post-game
He made two big mistakes which in my opinion cost him the game. Mistake number one was putting the squig so close to his goblins, considering that they are LD7 without a reroll. Mistake number two was the black orc charge, he should have either charged with either both combat units or none of them. We had a good talk about it afterwards, and he had 2 more games that day so it wasn’t the end of the world or anything.

As for my list, a few things came up in my mind:

At first I wasn’t sure whether to equip the BSB for magic res or combat, but in this game the magic resistance really saved me and I will stick with it for now.

Not sure if two shadowdancers are too much, could remove one. While it would give me another unit or 2 eagles, then the BSB would be more vulnerable as he would get into combat sooner.

I am tempted to combine the two glade guard units, for several reasons. One reason is that I can then cast harmonic convergence on one dice and effect all 20 archers. For the boosted convergence I really need to use 3 dice, and that is too much in my opinion. In this game the spider missed with it’s shooting attacks, but had it killed a glade guard then I would be forced to leave the building since the spider would be able to attack my mage. On the other hand, if I had 20 glade guard then I could stay in the building for much longer. In the tournament we will each get to deploy a building, so this strategy could work well for me. I could them give them gleaming pennant to avoid being booted out, which also goes well with the fortitude part of the tournament. Another option could be to put moonstone on the heavens mage and keep them in a forest at the back line, this would give less problems with forest cover but also give less bonuses to the eternal guard.

Hitting on 6’s suck, against toughness 5+ it makes no difference but against lower toughness it is very annoying. I am tempted to change into trueflight arrows, as with convergence I would hit with almost all attacks. This would also make it easier for me to shoot at units in my opponents building. For now I will stick with poison I think, but lets see what happens.

I was also wondering whether to go with the banner of swiftness or the leadership banner on the eternal guard, but movement 6 is really nice and a rerollable 9 is pretty good anyway.

In these games I put the BSB on the very flank in second rank, but he got into combat. I should probably put him one step deeper into the unit so that he cannot be attacked on a flank charge.

Still not sure whether it is best to increase survivability of the EG or to increase the killing power of characters. I think it depends on the enemy, if the enemy are not super armoured it might be better to mitigate damage and win on static combat. If the enemy is immune to str 3AP, then boosting is probably the best way to go.

Next battle will come up shortly, it is against ogres! Thanks for reading.
Last edited by Mollesvinet on 09 Mar 2015, 18:44, edited 1 time in total.
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council

Re: Mollesvinet - 2015-03-06 - New tour list, 2 games

Post by Billthesurly »

Allow me to confirm this situation: you had TWO Shadowdancers, a BSB and a Wizard in an EG block with BOOSTED SAVAGE BEAST OF HORROS UP AND RUNNING AND HE CHARGED YOU?!?! What, they had a death wish? Tired of living life as Orcs? Just kinda stupid? (Orks can be like that sometimes.) Well, as Napoleon said: "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."

He did make the right move by concentrating on your Wildriders. The fact that you won after he took almost all of them out is a testament to your build... and, uh... the fact that he committed mass suicide against the character bus with BSBoH on it. If he had waited one more turn... Boosted Foot of Gork is a killer spell when it runs on like it did. You got lucky that so many of your EG saved. That could have been the game right there. Spear Chukkas are worthless against your average Wood Elf army but the two Doom Divers could be real trouble as they can sometimes take out a small scout or Waywatcher unit per turn if they are rolling hot.

I play Orks and I just love their loonyness. But I also know just how tough they can be to crack. Nice job. :thumbsup:
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Thanks Thomas, nice report and interesting list!

I guess my main concern would be the EG getting shot up, perhaps if your opponent had brought Rock Lobbers here for example. In my experience it's too defensive to spend every phase casting Fleash to Stone or whatever. However, the Wild Riders and archers are often a more immediate threat, so that could draw the enemy's fire. I think MR3 on the BSB is a good call, will be great vs Death snipes etc.. Have you considered Eagles at all?

As soon as I saw the picture where the Black Orcs had charged the EG I thought 'no'. I guess your opponent thought he could win vs just one Savage Beasted character but he was wrong. Pg 100 makes it quite clear you can Make Way with multiple characters. I really like the option to cast both Savage Beast and Transformation. I always swap the latter because I don't want to carry a Dragon around! I guess it might be a bit tricky to get boosted versions of the spells through at London's Burning because of the 5-die casting cap.

I'm guessing the buildings we bring will be the only ones. Unfortunately they can't be placed within 12" of table edge and sides are chosen afterwards. So it might be difficult to make best use of them.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Billthesurly wrote:Allow me to confirm this situation: you had TWO Shadowdancers, a BSB and a Wizard in an EG block with BOOSTED SAVAGE BEAST OF HORROS UP AND RUNNING AND HE CHARGED YOU?!?! What, they had a death wish? Tired of living life as Orcs? Just kinda stupid? (Orks can be like that sometimes.) Well, as Napoleon said: "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."

He did make the right move by concentrating on your Wildriders. The fact that you won after he took almost all of them out is a testament to your build... and, uh... the fact that he committed mass suicide against the character bus with BSBoH on it. If he had waited one more turn... Boosted Foot of Gork is a killer spell when it runs on like it did. You got lucky that so many of your EG saved. That could have been the game right there. Spear Chukkas are worthless against your average Wood Elf army but the two Doom Divers could be real trouble as they can sometimes take out a small scout or Waywatcher unit per turn if they are rolling hot.

I play Orks and I just love their loonyness. But I also know just how tough they can be to crack. Nice job. :thumbsup:
That charge was a big mistake, he thought that he would lose 6 black orcs to my characters but that number might fit without savage beast of horros up. The casting of savage beast was exactly like a porchupine rolling into a ball, apparently the cat couldn't help but try to whack it anyway. The foot was brutal, it stomped 6 times in a row. Had he put all stomps on my eternal guard, then there wouldn't be many left. Taking out the wild riders was also a good idea though, as they really provide a lot of combat res.
Phil Rossiter wrote:Thanks Thomas, nice report and interesting list!

I guess my main concern would be the EG getting shot up, perhaps if your opponent had brought Rock Lobbers here for example. In my experience it's too defensive to spend every phase casting Fleash to Stone or whatever. However, the Wild Riders and archers are often a more immediate threat, so that could draw the enemy's fire. I think MR3 on the BSB is a good call, will be great vs Death snipes etc.. Have you considered Eagles at all?

As soon as I saw the picture where the Black Orcs had charged the EG I thought 'no'. I guess your opponent thought he could win vs just one Savage Beasted character but he was wrong. Pg 100 makes it quite clear you can Make Way with multiple characters. I really like the option to cast both Savage Beast and Transformation. I always swap the latter because I don't want to carry a Dragon around! I guess it might be a bit tricky to get boosted versions of the spells through at London's Burning because of the 5-die casting cap.

I'm guessing the buildings we bring will be the only ones. Unfortunately they can't be placed within 12" of table edge and sides are chosen afterwards. So it might be difficult to make best use of them.
MR3 will definately stay, and they also have a 6++ against warmachines although it probably won't help a whole lot against a direct hit. The list is so character heavy that i can't afford many luxuries, such as eagles. It is my hope that my poison scouts and especially the heavens mage will keep me safe against warmachines. The low number of drops helps me get the first turn for this.

I was pretty sure more characters could move up, and i did confirm it after i went home. The flank offered to him already had two characters there, so both shadowdancers and the BSB got to fight that round. In any case, we all had brain farts before and I am certain that he won't do it again.

Good point about the buildings, i thought we got to place them after table sides were deployed. In this way, they will be far less predictable. Still not sure whether it is a good idea to merge the glade guard units. Even if i get the building it is only a 2 level building, so only 10 guys can shoot in that case. I will try to merge the unit just for the case of harmonic convergence and protecting the mage and see how it goes. I might still change them to trueshots as well, with 2 buildings in each game there is a real good chance that i will have to shoot at targets inside. This would also mean that i can more easily hide behind the eternal guard, as i don't have to care about cover.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Mollesvinet - 2015-03-06 - D&D vs Ogres

Post by Mollesvinet »

Pre-game
So this was a game against Marcin from the new gaming club I joined, he played ogre kingdoms and was also trying stuff out for London’s Burning. My list was the same as the previous report thread and his list follows here:

Skrag the Slaughterer
Slaughtermaster – level 4 beast, 4+ ward
BSB – unknown
11 Ogres – full command
6 Ogres – full command
10 gnoblars
10 gnoblars
6 Man Eaters – Brace of pistols, poison, stubborn
3x1 thundertusk (EDIT: These are sabretusks!)
2 Iron Blasters

For spells we had:
Skrag: bonecrusher 2d6 S2 magic missile, bubble toughness, bubble regen, stubborn spell
Slaughtermaster: Flock of doom, curse of anreheir, wyssan, think the last one was a character boost
Druid: wyssan (from flock), pans pelt, amber spear and curse (rolling 1,2,3,4 is not what I want in this list!)
Diviner: Comet, chain lightning, harmonic convergence, blizzard

Deployment
From left to right we have a swamp that counts as dangerous terrain, an impassible statue, my venom thicket, a normal forest and a huge building.

I basically had no idea where his main stuff would go, so I deployed centrally with the EG with wild riders on each side. I decided to put the GG on the left, as they had better line of sight there.

My scouts were deployed to shoot some man eaters and the waywatchers to threaten his iron blasters and chaff. WR1 vanguards left to add some protection to the glade guard and WR2 just vanguards up a bit.

I had the +1 to go first and took the first turn.

Wood Elves Turn 1

Movement: Wild riders and eternal guards move up towards his main units. One group of waywatchers move so that they can see his one iron blaster. The back scouts are on a hill, so both can see.

Magic: 6v4 – I think he dispels curse on the big unit and then lets a comet through (marked by blue).

Shooting: All glade guard and scouts do 9 wounds to the man-eaters,but he manages to roll 7 sixes for armour saves needing sixes. One unit of waywatchers manage a measly 1 wound on the gnobblars, was hoping to panic them away. The other waywatchers put a single wound on his iron blaster.

Ogres Turn 1
Movement: Everything moves up full speed, except a gnoblar unit that wishes to shoot. A thundertusk blocks the wild riders from charging the big ogre unit in the flank. Skrag takes a wound from dangerous terrain.

Magic: 9v5 – The comet gets another counter. He curses WR1 with 3 dice, I let it go as I plan to wait one turn before charging anyway. He casts flock of doom on GG1 with 3 dice, I let him have it but probably should have dispelled it. 3 die, but I pass the panic. He then cast bubble toughess, rolls 3 sixes and does a little explosion. Skrag takes a wound, but heals the wound from dangerous terrain.

Shooting: Man eaters kill 5 glade guard, I now realize that the heavens mage is left without a look-out-sir. One iron blaster misses, but the other one hits the mage but luckily does only 2 wounds. Gnobblars fail to shoot waywatchers.

Wood Elves Turn 2

Movement: WR1 decides to charge the man-eaters without my contempt, losing 2 to dangerous terrain. WR2 charges the gnoblars. Eternal guard move into charge range of the big unit, they feel sad that the wild riders charged before they were ready. The heavens mage hurry to move into GG2!

Magic: 5v3 – The comet gets another counter. He dispels blizzard on the man-eaters with all his dice and I fail to cast curse on the big unit as I roll double 1. I do get harmonic convergence on the waywatchers with my last dice though. Maybe I should have gone for another comet at this point?

Shooting: The glade guard and scouts do some wounds to the big bunker. Waywatchers take off a thundertusk and do some wounds to the ogres behind. I left those ogres with a flank charge to my EG, but they needed 9 or 10 to reach them.

Combat: The wild riders do a bunch of wounds to the man-eaters but take 4 in return, I save 2 so that two wild riders remain. The ogres pass their steadfast break test. The other wild riders easily destroy the gnobblars and overrun.

Ogres Turn 2

Movement: The big unit charges the two wild riders in the flank. The small ogres roll double six for their charge into the eternal guard… great. A thundertusk moves in front of the wild riders, not really sure why.

Magic: 11+1v6 – Comet gets yet another counter. He uses 3 dice on curse of anreheir on my EG, I let it go as I have rerolls against the ogres anyway. He uses another 3 dice on bubble toughness, I let it go as that battle is lost already and all my archers have poison. Finally he casts wyssan on the small unit of ogres, this one I dispel.

Shooting: Iron blaster 1 misfires and cannot shoot next turn. The other iron blaster hits all wild riders, but I pass a single ward save. Gnobblars fail to shoot waywatchers.

Combat: The big combat goes as expected, wild riders do a wound or two to the man-eaters and are destroyed. The big unit reforms to face the eternal guard. In the combat between ogres and eternal guard he rolls 9 impact hits, but at least only does 5 wounds. After I strike at him there are 3 ogres alive, he puts 9 attacks on my BSB and they all miss or fail to wound! He also puts 4 attacks on the unit and kill a few eternal guard. I think I win combat, but due to his reform in the earlier combat he is within general and BSB so he passes. I reform to face him.

Wood Elves Turn 3 aka The Turn of Big Explosions

Movement: I charge the lone wild rider into the thundertusk. The two glade guard march up to block his big unit, buying some time for the eternal guard. The heavens mage and his unit back away, so that he cannot overrun into them if he charges the other glade guard.

Magic: 12v6+1 The mighty comet finally strikes, and I roll 9 for the radius of impact. At strength 8 it destroy the man-eater unit and does 9 wounds to the big ogre unit. I use 3 dice to cast wyssan on my eternal guard and he fails to dispel it or let it go. I use two dice for harmonic convergence on the glade guard which he lets go. I then use 3 dice to curse his big unit, but they come up as 3 sixes. A dimensional cascade occur, killing all but 4 eternal guard and sucking my beast mage into the void. Drat.

Shooting: I put 3 more wounds on his iron blaster with waywatchers, and do some wounds on his big unit with poison.

Combat: The wild rider hits the thundertusk 3 times, but only manages 1 wound. The deer also fails to wound it and the dog kills the wild rider! What a disgrace! In the EG combat he challenges, I accept with a shadowdancer and destroy the rest of the unit. The reform is a bit tricky though, as I cannot allow to give my flank to his iron blasters. In the end I point them towards his big unit, so I am facing him in case he charges with skrag out of the unit.

Ogres Turn 3

Movement: He charges the 2 GG, and also charges the waywatchers in the rear with gnobblars. One thundertusk moves up to block the eternal guard and the remaining units just move closer to me.

Magic: 10+1v6 – I dispel curse on my eternal guard and the rest of his power dice are used to buff his main unit to amazing heights.

Shooting: He takes aim at my BSB with his one iron blaster that can still shoot, luckily he misses.

Combat: The two glade guard are destroyed, he reforms to face my eternal guard. The waywatchers only do 3 wounds to his gnoblars, and actually lose combat by 1 (banner I think). However, they are stubborn in the woods and I reform to be 7 wide as I should have done earlier if I hadn’t been too lazy.

Wood Elves Turn 4

Movement: A shadowdancer jumps out to block his big unit and the BSB jumps out to join the waywatchers. Though it is not clear on this diagram, the iron blaster could not charge the blocking shadowdancer. The last shadowdancer is stuck in the unit because of the dog, and the whole unit moves backwards. The heavens mage also back away, in case things get hairy later on.

Magic: 4v2 – I cast convergence on the waywatchers that are out of combat but fail to cast blizzard on the left ironblaster.

Shooting: Waywatchers kill the right iron blaster and scouts do a wound to the other one.

Combat: The waywatchers wipe the floor with the gnobblars in the forest and reform to face the battle.

Ogres Turn 4

Movement: My blocking shadow dancer drinks his potion of strength, come get some! His big unit is so intimidated by this that they swift reforms into a single line and moves a bit down. Both dogs move forward and so does the iron blaster.

Magic: 6v4 – he casts bone crusher on the waywatchers with the BSB, I let it go. He only gets 3 hits but does 2 wounds, both are saved due to MR3. He uses his last 3 dice on flock of doom on the glade guard with the mage, gets IF and scores 10 hits which does 5 wounds! Luckily just enough for a look-out-sir. The miscast deals a strength 6 to all mages.

Shooting: The iron blaster decides to do a grapeshot on the lone wardancer. With 8 shots hitting on 7+ he gets 4 hits and 3 wounds, but I save 2 of them on my 6+ ward! Crazy crazy.

Wood Elves Turn 5

Movement: I am not really sure how to save my heavens mage at this point. I decide to make a run for it and hope that I can down his iron blaster this turn. I was afraid that he would charge with his slaughtermaster, as I was quite close to him. Waywatchers move into position. EG runs away as fast as they can!

Magic: 9v5 – I use 2 dice on harmonic conversion on waywatchers, he fails to dispel. I then fail to cast comet, but really should have cast blizzard on the iron blaster! Stupid mistake.

Shooting: Only manage two wounds on the iron blaster, 2 to go. Uh oh.

Ogres Turn 5

Movement: He swift reform again and moves closer to me. The dogs move up, one takes a wound in my venom forest.

Magic: 9v5 – He casts bonecrusher against my mage but I dispel it with dice. He then cast flock of doom at the mage, but I dispel it with my scroll.

Shooting: The iron blaster kills my mage, boohoo.

Wood Elves Turn 6

Movement: The lone shadow dancer makes sure to get out of charge arc of the iron blaster, I don’t march as a dangerous terrain test could kill him. The eternal guard continue to run, but the shadow dancer leaves them to taunt a thundertusk into attacking him.

Shooting: The waywatchers only manage a single wound, but at least the scouts manage to finish of the blasted iron blaster.

Ogres Turn 6

Movement: Both dogs charge my remaining glade guard, I stand as I would rather run from the block (diagram is a bit off, but that made the most sense). Both of them sadly pass their dangerous terrain test, they are both at 1 wound remaining.

Magic: 8v5 – he 4 dices bonecrusher on the eternal guard but rolls really low, so I take the chance to dispel it. The last four dice end up with flock of doom on the eternal guard, but only one eternal guard die. Even pass their panic.

Combat: I manage to kill a dog with my single glade guard attack, in return he fails to kill anything. He still wins by 1, I flee but he doesn’t catch me.

Post-game
Phew, what a game. So many crazy things went on, we rolled so many sixes and ones that it was beyond belief. In the end he had 152 victory points more than me, so a slight victory at 11-9 to him.

I felt that my list did really well, considering that I lost a unit of wild riders on a suicide charge and my whole EG block plus my mage to a miscast. Sadly the earthing rod would take her 5 points over her magic item allowance, and the risk of dying in close combat is higher than dimensional cascade in my opinion. However, I must remember to use that power stone from now on! Also, the disgraceful wild rider dying to a dog. I did have some good luck at other times though, namely the heavens mage surviving a cannonball and the BSB avoiding a cannonball in the first place.

Again the small size of the glade guard unit turned into a bit of a problem, so I am again tempted to merge them into a bigger unit. I will probably try that for my next fight and see how it goes.

Had I been able to get my wild riders and eternal guard into his big bunker, then I am convinced that I had a real good chance of breaking him (especially with a few -1 to hit spells). Since he had 2 iron blasters I knew he didn’t have the crown. Ah well, as it was I couldn’t really touch his bunker and had to kill everything else.
All in all it was a very enjoyable game and I hope that you enjoyed reading it as well. Next weekend will be dedicated to my dear wife, so it will be a couple of weeks before I can get another game in. Thank you for reading and commenting!
Last edited by Mollesvinet on 09 Mar 2015, 18:42, edited 2 times in total.
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by NonnoSte »

Hi Mollesvinet,
thanks for your efforts and time spent in the reports.
They were interesting matches for sure and a nice combat build too.

I was trying something similar, but with a Darkweaver along the Beast one.
The second Shadowdancer in my list is carrying the Terrifying Mask of EEE! tough and the BSB has AoSS and Great Weapon.
I think Eagles are pretty important, even to the detriment of a unit of Scouts and some Waywatchers.
You need to control the movement more than war machines and your combat units can actually put an harm on Heavy Armors.

Against OnG there's little to say, if not that he really looked for Black Orcs to get slaughtered and for Goblins to panic first turn.

The game against Ogres, on the other side, was really full of awkward situations.
I learned to stay 12,1" from Ogres the hard way. Because those occasional long charges are the worst when they hit.
PS: I guess those in the army were Sabretusks and not Thundertusks, right? ;)

On a last note, have you considered the Power Scroll instead of the Power Stone? (now that Phil opened my eyes on that item I'm loving it!)
Both Savage Beast and Transmutation could be huge if cast at half the power.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Hi NonnoSte

From the start I was uncertain whether to go for AoD or MR3. The shadowdancers are much more difficult to kill than the bsb, given that WS3 hits them on 5's and that they can get a 3++ ward. So far MR3 has been pretty nice, so I will keep it for the time being. If I get savage beast, then the BSB will step forward if I determine that I can wipe a unit, hence the additional handweapon.

You guys are right about the eagles, I should probably try to find points for it. That will have to be in the next edition of the list though.

The long ogre charge was painful, and with the death of the wild riders I didn't really have any need to push so hard forwards anyway. He was wondering whether to try the charge or not, but as he said, he really didn't have anything to lose. And yes, sabretusks not thundertusks!

Another stupid thing was the rear charge from the gnobblars, had I been 7 ranks wide from the start I might have beaten them which would have given me another turn of shooting on the iron blaster which could in turn have saved my heavens mage. Lesson to self, don't be lazy!

The power scroll is less useful for a beast mage, as you can only cast the non-boosted version of the spell with it. Non-boosted savage beast is already very easy to cast and I would probably prefer multiple aug/hex compared to non-boosted transformation.
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by NonnoSte »

Wops, my bad!

Just non-boosted. Dammit!

No need of it at all then.
Power Stone still looks the best choice.

Ah, one last question that came to mind.
It had not even mattered since you ended the game before it, but doesn't the Aragnarok have the rule about ignoring terrains as Spider Riders do?
If that's the case, wouldn't be pointless to get out from the building with your Glade Guards? They could have been charged anyway, right?
I'm curious because an opponent played it that way against me recently.