Wood Elves vs Tomb Kings

Discuss your latest army list or composition, or ideas on how to create your next tournament-winning army.

Moderator: Council of Elders

LiveWaaaaagh
Newcomer
Newcomer

Wood Elves vs Tomb Kings

Post by LiveWaaaaagh »

Hi all!

Another game approaches this weekend. This time, versus Tomb kings. As we're still learning the Wood Elf book and how to best use certain units, I leave you below with likely, but not final lists for your review and recommendations.

Rules
3x3Table
1200 pts
50%Lord Allowance

Tomb Kings
1x Tomb Prince
1x Liche Priest lvl 2 of Neherkara
1x Ramhotep the visionary (Gives Frenzy and Hatred to unit).

35x Skeleton Warriors
15x Archers

20x Tomb Guard w/ Halbreds

1x Casket of Souls

Wood Elves
There are two lists. The one she wants to pkay and the one that is more suited to fight the army above.

The ones she wants:
1x Sisters on Dragon

21x Eternal Guard

5x Sisters of the Thorn

1x Treeman

Or substitute the treenan for a unit of 15 Glade Guard.

What are your recommendations for a more tailored list?

Regardless, we'll be broadcasting live this Sunday early afternoon!
Live Warhammer Content.

Visit LiveWaaaaagh.com
Follow us on Twitch - Twitch.tv/livewaaaaagh

Live 8th Edition games, painting sessions, Blood Bowl II, Total War: Warhammer and more!
LadyLoec
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Vampire Counts, Empire, Warriors of Chaos, Skaven, Dark Elves, Dwarves

Re: Wood Elves vs Tomb Kings

Post by LadyLoec »

LiveWaaaaagh wrote:What are your recommendations for a more tailored list?
Rather than tailoring for this fight, how about coming to a compromise from the list you'd want to run in an ideal world (I used to run a HUGE number of wardancers because I loved them, so I feel your pain in having to trade off some prettiness for effectiveness)?

It's clear you like the sisters of twilight (and why not? they're really cool!), but running them on an eagle rather than the dragon would free up 220 points, which is huge in such a low pointage game, and they'll still be just as effective for shooting. You won't be getting charges in with them, but in reality you want to keep them out of the fray.

The sisters of the thorn are a really good shout here - they can go casket-hunting with poison javelins and will likely be able to mop up that archer unit too.

The block of eternal guard are going to need some help If they're going to go toe-to-toe with the super-buffed tomb guard unit. More characters would be a squeeze, so how about running that treeman as an ancient level 3? It's 100pts more than a regular treeman, which you would have spare and then some from losing the dragon. A little less combat-effective (negligible when you factor in thunderstomp), but you can get some spells that will make those EG more durable, or even a shot at dwellers on a unit that's guaranteed to be bunkering characters.

A shadowdancer in the EG unit could achieve similar results (taking signature shadow spell miasma and doing the dance of "you don't get a rank bonus"), but is a little more pricey.

If you drop the dragon and go with the treeman ancient option, you'd still have 120pts spare - enough for a unit of 7 hagbane scouts, 10 dryads, 8 wardancers, or some extra EG/sisters to bolster your existing units.

Hope this helps - have a fun game!
LiveWaaaaagh
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by LiveWaaaaagh »

Hi LadyLoec!

As always, thank you for the response! It's very much appreciated that you take the time to respond and explain things, in particular as we continue learning the ins and outs of the Wood Elves.

The only problem with your recommendation is that she is... somewhat adamant about trying the dragon, since last time it died a quick cannon-ball death. But we are taking your feedback into account by trying to bring in some buffs through magic. Problem is: 495 of the sisters + ancient brings us to almost 800 pts in heroes. A no=no.

As a result, we're worked together to put on a different list that might work. Here it goes:

1x Sisters on Dragon
1x Branchwraith

16x Dryads w/nymph (Branchwraith here)
10x Glade Guard (Truefligth maybe, since TG are only Tough. 4)

5x Sisters of the Thorn
3x Treekin

The idea is that if able to even get a spell to buff the Dryads, plus the extra combat units might create some issues for the TK who really just have the 1 deathstar unit.
Live Warhammer Content.

Visit LiveWaaaaagh.com
Follow us on Twitch - Twitch.tv/livewaaaaagh

Live 8th Edition games, painting sessions, Blood Bowl II, Total War: Warhammer and more!
LadyLoec
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Vampire Counts, Empire, Warriors of Chaos, Skaven, Dark Elves, Dwarves

Post by LadyLoec »

Ok then. I think that's much better. Only issue with the branchwraith is that if you roll a useless spell (like, say, Throne of Vines - useless on a level 1), then your only option to swap it for is a 5+ regen. Not an awful lot better than that 6+ ward on the dryad unit.

The ancient is a lord choice, not a hero, so it's just as legal to make that existing treeman an ancient as it is to add in a branchwraith, and for only 25pts difference I know which one I would choose. As long as you're hitting the minimum core, it doesn't matter.

Best of luck tomorrow.