8th Edition: The Wild Hunt, 2500pts

Discuss your latest army list or composition, or ideas on how to create your next tournament-winning army.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Spiney
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood elves, Bretonnia, Orcs & Goblins

8th Edition: The Wild Hunt, 2500pts

Post by Spiney »

This is for an upcoming campaign day in a month or so, Orion leading the way is kind of the point of the list so all C&C are welcome up to but not including 'take out orion'.

Lords
Orion, King in the Woods
Life weaver: L4 w/ dispel scroll

Heroes
Glade Captain: Asrai Spear, Great Stag, Hail of Doom Arrow, dragon helm, shield
Branch wraith

Core
20 Dryads: Nymph
10 Glade Guard: Hagbane, Musician, Standard bearer; banner of eternal flame
10 Glade Guard: true shot, musician, standard bearer
10 Glade Guard: Hagbane, musician, standard bearer

Special
6 Wild riders: champion, musician, standard bearer
20 Wild Wood Rangers: champion, musician, standard bearer

Rare
8 Waywatchers
Great Eagle

I realise there are quite a lot of glade guard there, I considered a few options for swapping out one unit and still achieving minimum core (basically either dropping one unit for 5 glade riders, which I have little experience in using or bulking out the dryad unit to 30, which would require me to buy more dryads).
“The Time of the White Chill and the White Light is nigh, the Time of Madness and the Time of Contempt”
- Prophecy of Ithlinne
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: 8th Edition: The Wild Hunt, 2500pts

Post by Mollesvinet »

Hello there,

even for a close combat list I think 30 glade guard are good to have. This way you have enough arrows to take out redirectors and other chaff so that you have a clear path to the main attractions.

No BSB is risky. If you decide to stick with it you should probably get the gleaming penant on your rangers.

What is the plan with the branchwraith? Without any upgrades she cost alot of points compared to the gain, however she can be used as a road block or redirector this way.

Finally, as far as I remember you can't use flaming banner with magical arrows. It has been a while since I played 8th, but I think the magical arrows count as magic weapons which does not benifit from the banner.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Mollesvinet wrote:even for a close combat list I think 30 glade guard are good to have. This way you have enough arrows to take out redirectors and other chaff so that you have a clear path to the main attractions.
I agree with Thomas here, in fact I feel this level of shooting is pretty much a competitive minimum for WE armies. It's one of the main strengths of the book, we can't afford to ignore it.
Mollesvinet wrote:No BSB is risky. If you decide to stick with it you should probably get the gleaming penant on your rangers.
Again I agree. I'd be tempted to make the Stag guy BSB and stick a 4+ Ward on him to help him survive. As I understand you'll be facing WoC and VC's Spiney, shooting is not a huge problem but he's still a bit fragile. Gleaming Pennant is excellent.
Mollesvinet wrote:What is the plan with the branchwraith? Without any upgrades she cost alot of points compared to the gain, however she can be used as a road block or redirector this way.
I was very happy with the Branchwraith when I used her. She helps spell selection for the mage which could be important with Life. Then again, you want both characters close to Orion for Lifebloom so it might pay to put a 4+ Ward etc on the mage and run her with the Rangers. I guess the Branchwraith could run with either infantry block. I'm not sure how solid the Dryads will prove vs Warriors but they might be decent against Vamps.
Mollesvinet wrote:Finally, as far as I remember you can't use flaming banner with magical arrows. It has been a while since I played 8th, but I think the magical arrows count as magic weapons which does not benifit from the banner.
Exactly, army book, pg 37.

The list looks quite balanced. The WoC characters might be an issue because they are pretty much arrow-proof. Orion is probably your best bet here, plus the Wild Riders and maybe the Rangers. Some of them fly though, so will be very hard to charge. You might normally look to magic but here you've gone Life to help Orion out. It might depend how much infantry the Warriors bring, or whether they spam chariots for example.
Spiney
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Spiney »

I could swap the stag captain out for a BSB on foot (and run him with the Rangers I guess). That would free up a few points for a magic banner on the Rangers (maybe flaming or swiftness), it would also give me the points for orion's hounds. I guess I felt that because so much of the list (the combat elements anyway) are itp, I was getting less out of the bsb, but I suppose it is still important for rerolling break tests.

It's a while since I've played 8th, I totally forgot the flaming banner didn't work with magic arrows, how about giving that unit starfire arrows instead, in case I come up against some regenerating chaos monster, or even arcane bodkins if you think chaos armour will be too much of an issue.

Alternatively I could use those freed up points to bulk out the Waywatchers to 10 or 12 to increase my anti-armour shooting component.
“The Time of the White Chill and the White Light is nigh, the Time of Madness and the Time of Contempt”
- Prophecy of Ithlinne
LadyLoec
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Vampire Counts, Empire, Warriors of Chaos, Skaven, Dark Elves, Dwarves

Post by LadyLoec »

Spiney wrote:I could swap the stag captain out for a BSB on foot (and run him with the Rangers I guess). That would free up a few points for a magic banner on the Rangers (maybe flaming or swiftness)
I tend to put the banner of discipline on my WWRs - they're LD9 basic, but 10 is quite handy if you lose a combat by 1 or 2.
Spiney wrote:I guess I felt that because so much of the list (the combat elements anyway) are itp, I was getting less out of the bsb, but I suppose it is still important for rerolling break tests.
I'm presuming your stag captain will remain in the thick of it, so could you just put a naked banner on your existing character build? Might not be ideal, but for 25pts it won't hurt
Spiney wrote:It's a while since I've played 8th, I totally forgot the flaming banner didn't work with magic arrows, how about giving that unit starfire arrows instead, in case I come up against some regenerating chaos monster, or even arcane bodkins if you think chaos armour will be too much of an issue
I still run the flaming banner on my GG regardless - tends to mop up any straggler beasties that still make it into combat (e.g. if a skaven army has the storm banner and a hellpit, it still might make it to your archers with a wound or two left, and with ASF and fire you should nail it. I've finished off the last of a troll unit this way too). Hagbane is still the better bet overall, but if you know you'll be facing WoC and Vamps, you may have an idea of their likely list build and be able to tailor a smidge.

Best of luck!
Spiney
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Spiney »

LadyLoec wrote: I tend to put the banner of discipline on my WWRs - they're LD9 basic, but 10 is quite handy if you lose a combat by 1 or 2.
I'll look into it, I guess it will help with restrain tests, I quite like the idea of a flaming banner on the Rangers though, or even the banner of swiftness which would help them keep up with Orion.
I'm presuming your stag captain will remain in the thick of it, so could you just put a naked banner on your existing character build? Might not be ideal, but for 25pts it won't hurt
Converting a BsB on a stag is a bit more than I would intend to put into this game, esp as the GW stag Lord is no longer available and I don't want to permanently convert my existing stag character

Something else, I've been reading through the dryad tactica on the other board and I'm really not sure a block of 20 is the best way to run them, I could drop down to a MSU unit of 10 and still fulfill minimum core allowance, which would give me a lot more points to play with to look at magic banners and a second eagle. I'm also a little dubious about the branch wraith as the only time I usually bother with L1 wizards is when they're carrying a scroll. If I dropped the wraith and ten of the dryads I could even fit in a second wild rider unit.

I need to do a bit more thinking
- Prophecy of Ithlinne
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Spiney wrote:I could swap the stag captain out for a BSB on foot (and run him with the Rangers I guess). That would free up a few points for a magic banner on the Rangers (maybe flaming or swiftness), it would also give me the points for orion's hounds. I guess I felt that because so much of the list (the combat elements anyway) are itp, I was getting less out of the bsb, but I suppose it is still important for rerolling break tests.
The problem lies in keeping a foot BSB alive. Possibly run him 12" behind your combat units in shooters.
Spiney wrote:how about giving that unit starfire arrows instead
Good idea.
Spiney wrote:Alternatively I could use those freed up points to bulk out the Waywatchers to 10 or 12 to increase my anti-armour shooting component.
Also a good idea.
LadyLoec wrote:I tend to put the banner of discipline on my WWRs - they're LD9 basic, but 10 is quite handy if you lose a combat by 1 or 2.
Looks like a decent shout, Gleaming Pennant also. Eternal Flame will see this unit go straight through Trolls or Crypt Horrors.
Spiney wrote:Something else, I've been reading through the dryad tactica on the other board and I'm really not sure a block of 20 is the best way to run them, I could drop down to a MSU unit of 10 and still fulfill minimum core allowance, which would give me a lot more points to play with to look at magic banners and a second eagle.
Fair point.
Spiney wrote:I'm also a little dubious about the branch wraith as the only time I usually bother with L1 wizards is when they're carrying a scroll. If I dropped the wraith and ten of the dryads I could even fit in a second wild rider unit.
If I'm honest, a second Wild Rider unit is usually a no-brainer. The Branchwraith gives you the following:

1) Either improved spell selection on Life (a Lore where it's handy) or Regen on your Rangers.
2) A redirector
3) A disposable chaff-clearer
4) A Channel
5) A little extra punch and a challenge-sacrifice on the Rangers.
6) A second source of Lifebloom.

There are things I would take first but she's well worth considering.
Spiney
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Spiney »

Ok, here is where I am at now

Lords
Orion, King in the Woods
Life Weaver: L4 with Channeling staff

Heroes
Glade Captain Bsb w/ armour of destiny & shield

Core
10 Dryads
10 Glade Guard w/musician, standard: gleaming pendent & starfire
10 Glade Guard w/musician, standard & Hagbane
10 Glade Guard w/musician, standard & Hagbane

Special
6 Wild riders w/full command
5 Wild Riders w/full command & shields
20 Wild Wood Rangers w/ full command & banner of eternal flame

Rare
Great Eagle
Great Eagle
8 Way Watchers

Overall it feels a bit leaner, and the extra unit of WRs reinforces the wild hunt theme as well as bringing up the competitiveness of the list.
- Prophecy of Ithlinne
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

It looks pretty good.

Scroll is better than Staff though, being able to stop that one spell is priceless. I would be seriously tempted to move Eternal Flame to the Wild Riders. If a character with a 2+ Ward vs Fire gets into the Rangers it's a real problem.
Spiney
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Spiney »

Phil Rossiter wrote:It looks pretty good.

Scroll is better than Staff though, being able to stop that one spell is priceless. I would be seriously tempted to move Eternal Flame to the Wild Riders. If a character with a 2+ Ward vs Fire gets into the Rangers it's a real problem.
Fair comment, I'm really just looking for a solution to stuff like chimeras at this point, I could drop the flaming banner entirely and use those ten points to upgrade my channel staff to a scroll.
- Prophecy of Ithlinne
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

The list's first counter to a Chimaera has to be a volley from Starfire to strip Regen, followed by Hagbane and/or Orion to finish it off. Might be worth deploying the Starfire late to make sure they can target it. Of course if he brings two or three, one will probably make it into combat. The more I think about it, the more I now reckon you're right to have Eternal Flame on the Rangers, otherwise a Chimaera, with it's Thunderstomp and Breath Weapon (and even now watch out for a killer flank shot from the template) could quickly wreck them. Normally units with Eternal Flame live in fear of 2+ Wards vs Fire. But a Daemon Prince or Disc Rider will bring such good saves that, lacking spell buffs, the Rangers won't be able to hurt them anyway.

I'd be tempted to drop one of the Glade Guard standards to get the points for the scroll. TBH it may be worth charging a Chimaera with Wild Riders even without Eternal Flame. They'll put wounds on it.