1200pts 8th Edition

Discuss your latest army list or composition, or ideas on how to create your next tournament-winning army.

Moderator: Council of Elders

LiveWaaaaagh
Newcomer
Newcomer

1200pts 8th Edition

Post by LiveWaaaaagh »

Hi all!

We're new to Wood Elves and we're going to be playing with the below list in a few weeks. We've been reading quite a bit here on tactics and how to use certain units but your feedback is appreciated.

Hero
Naestra & Arahan on Forest Dragon

Core
16 Dryads w/ Nymph
8x Glade Riders w TBD arrows (Still reading)

Special
5x Sisters of the Thorn

Rare
1x Treeman

We're going against Dwarfs and Tomb Kings initially and likely a High Elf list later on.

Thoughts?
Live Warhammer Content.

Visit LiveWaaaaagh.com
Follow us on Twitch - Twitch.tv/livewaaaaagh

Live 8th Edition games, painting sessions, Blood Bowl II, Total War: Warhammer and more!
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: 1200pts 8th Edition

Post by Mollesvinet »

Hello there,

Not a bad list, although the sisters on dragon is an odd combination and takes some getting used to. The trick is to know when to go for shooting and when to go for close combat.

For the glade riders I would definately take poison arrows, as you will need help against warmachines for both treeman and sisters on dragon. Or I would even be tempted to exchange dryads for poison glade guard, just to give you an edge. A dwarven flaming cannon or tomb king flaming catapult can kill your treeman in a single shot! Against high elves trueshot arrows are preferable, as they kick ass against toughness 3. Another option is not to take magical arrows on riders and use them primarily for combat.

Sisters of the thorn are solid. Poison and vanguard to help against warmachines and good spells. Curse of anreheir being the main attraction here both out and inside of combat, but the life spell for healing your treeman/dragon.

Good luck!
LiveWaaaaagh
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by LiveWaaaaagh »

Hi Mollesvinet!

Thank you for your feedback!

I do appreciate it!

Anything you can expand on the sisters on dragon? How to best play them? The only battle report I've seen them in had them going for combat almost by turn 2.

This afternoon, actually playing the following list (sisters on dragon, sisters of the thorn and glade riders are in the mail):

1x Treeman Ancient Lvl 2 Life.
16x Dryads w/ Nymph
3x Treekin w/ Elder
1x Treeman

Going up vs Tomb Kings
24x Warriors
10x Archers
16x Tomb Guard
1x Tomb Prince
1x Liche Priest lvl 2 Neherkara
1x Casket

Live in 45 min. on Twitch! :D
Live Warhammer Content.

Visit LiveWaaaaagh.com

Live 8th Edition games, painting sessions, Blood Bowl II, Total War: Warhammer and more!
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Hi again,

well the combination is odd because the sisters are mainly for shooting and the dragon is mainly for combat. The good part about the sisters in combat is mainly their sharing of wounds and so on, but damage is limited.

I would definately try to get in combat as soon as possible, the dragon is not cheap. However, keep in mind that many things can kick a dragons ass! I played a highborn dragon at a tournament and sometimes I found myself using the dragon mainly as a threat to keep my other things safe. In this case it will be nice to have the shooting of the sisters.

Good luck with your game, I would bet on your list due to the amount of infantry he has and your stompability :D

Keep in mind that I play mainly 9th age now, so I am a bit rusty on some of the 8th things. Sadly one of the only things I don't like about 9th age is the ridden monsters
LiveWaaaaagh
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by LiveWaaaaagh »

Thank you for the feedback!

Wood Elves did indeed win the game vs Tomb Kings that time by quite a bit! Tomb Kings only have 2 combat blocks suffered vs the 4 combat units from the Wood Elves, so they were flanked. Video up on the Battle Report section.

Ordered some extra Wood Elves that I'll start assembling soon for a bigger game in late March!
Live Warhammer Content.

Visit LiveWaaaaagh.com