2.5 pt against ogres need input

Discuss your latest army list or composition, or ideas on how to create your next tournament-winning army.

Moderator: Council of Elders

gr00t
Newcomer
Newcomer

2.5 pt against ogres need input

Post by gr00t »

Hello Friends,

we are playing a campaign and my next enemy is Ogres.
He will go for a big deathstar with heros and maybe some canons (dunno if he will do against me)

i came up with the following list:

Lords (600pts)
Spellweaver (290pts)
(BRB) Talisman of Preservation (45pts), Elven Steed (20pts), Level 4 (35pts), Lore of Death

Spellweaver (310pts)
(AB) Moonstone of the Hidden Ways (40pts), (BRB) Dispel Scroll (25pts), Asrai Longbow (5pts), Elven Steed (20pts), Level 4 (35pts), Lore of Shadow

Heroes (142pts)
Glade Captain (142pts)
(AB) Hail of Doom Arrow (30pts), Battle Standard (25pts), Elven Steed (10pts), Hand Weapon, Shield (2pts)

Core (634pts)
Glade Riders (250pts)
Glade Knight (10pts), Musician (10pts), Standard Bearer (10pts)
10x Glade Riders (220pts)
10x Hagbane Tips (30pts)

Glade Riders (230pts)
Musician (10pts)
10x Glade Riders (220pts)
10x Trueflight Arrows (30pts)

Glade Riders (154pts)
7x Glade Riders (154pts)
7x Hagbane Tips (21pts)

Special (1144pts)
Deepwood Scouts (160pts)
10x Deepwood Scouts (130pts)
10x Hagbane Tips (30pts)

Sisters of the Thorn (227pts)
Champion (10pts), Musician (10pts), 7x Sisters of the Thorn (182pts)
Standard Bearer (25pts)
(BRB) Lichebone Pennant (15pts)

Wild Riders (259pts)
Musician (10pts)
Standard Bearer (25pts)
8x Wild Riders (224pts)
8x Shields (16pts)

Wild Riders (254pts)
Musician (10pts)
Standard Bearer (20pts)
(BRB) Banner of Eternal Flame (10pts)
8x Wild Riders (224pts)
8x Shields (16pts)

Wild Riders (244pts)
Musician (10pts), Standard Bearer (10pts)
8x Wild Riders (224pts)
8x Shields (16pts)

2500pts

Mages and BSB in Sisters ofc.
My plan is to kill his small units and canons asap + purple sun + pit of shades on his deathstar.
What do you guys think?
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: 2.5 pt against ogres need input

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Looks pretty good.

Main issue might be if he brings a lot of shooting (Leadbelchers, Maneaters) because you don't have the sheer volume of arrows to win that war. That said, 3x8 WR's will go straight through him if he's not careful.

Purple Sun should wreck the Gutstar but look out for Hellheart while you set it up. Pit is great generally but Rune Maw on the BSB will probably bounce it.
gr00t
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by gr00t »

thank you sir!

hellheart is 10 inch range right? not sure if should bring high magic on the second lvl4 but i wanted at least sun or pit or both so i can secure 1 spell goes every phase, second thought is switching gr for gg, never played with Glade Riders only yet.
youngseward
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by youngseward »

Hellheart is d6x5" range.

Also, it may not be the style in your meta, but I've always thought bringing death magic when you know it's a battle with ogres isn't fair. Purple sun will wreck his army, and I can't see you having too much trouble if you bring a deathweaver.
Scalps claimed by Shadowdancer: Ogre Tyrant, Kharybdiss and Demon Prince.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

High Magic is a more balanced approach. Foot archers obviously give you more shots, just a different sort of approach.
youngseward wrote:it may not be the style in your meta
This is the question. As the Ogre player I'd load up on Leadbelchers and Heavens magic, while bringing Dispel Scroll, Hellheart and Rune Maw. Both cannon I'd leave at home for more BS shooting. In general I feel this match-up favours Wood Elves but with Rune Maw you're probably aiming at picking off the support for a minor win. Purple Sun is the only thing likely to crack that Gutstar, depends whether the gloves are off or not.
gr00t
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by gr00t »

well i need to bring the best i can or iam rly behind in the campaign.
Last time i had the watchtower scenario against vampires and got wrecked hard by 700 pts flying vampire lord.

i have no clue to deal with this, tower or not, any suggestions?
I think there is another scen were you have to kill towers, this will be a nightmare too for the woodies :(
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

How was the vampire lord equipped?

Do you mean you have to take multiple buildings gr00t?
gr00t
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by gr00t »

i dunno exactly but he had 1+ as 4+ ws, 8 attacks, always strike first, red fury and flying + nightmare mount.
About the scen i didnt play it yet and i dunno how its called actually, i think its kinda siege like, were u have to do str5+ attacks to hurt the buildings.
So this are the 2 things i worry about as woodie..
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Well, WE's have access to several S5+ units. Dragons, Treemen, Rangers, Characters. Or magic.

There are different options vs the vamp. You could load up on Waywatchers and try to shoot him off. Spells like Amber Spear, Mindrazor, Banishment. Maybe Shadowdancers for the Killing Blow or Durthu.
gr00t
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by gr00t »

the problem is we roll the scenario shortly before we start and i cant fit my list to all 6, but nevermind.
vc lord starts in a large bus of cursed knights so no spells to kill him, its also rly dangerous do get it range because he can fly out and kill my sister bunker = gg
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

I guess the best you can do is write a list that has at least a chance under any scenario.

If he's in this bus he's more secure, to be sure. But it can also restrict him, or force him to fly out. A 100-bow list simply shoots the bus off because 2+ knights are not as tough as they look. Your list above can chip away at it but he has to be careful because a Wild Rider charge kills an awful lot of knights, even if he's killing WR's in return. This may also tie him down. Two WR units into it and the Vamp probably dies from combat res. If you have an eagle or two you can sacrifice them to slow the bus down. The Vamp can fly over them but then he's a target.

As far as magic goes, Curse of Anraheir and Miasma slow the bus down. A Mindrazored WR unit into it is horrific. I-test spells are worth a look. Death snipes are possible unless he has Magic Resistance. From other Lores, Dwellers, Final Transmutation, Searing Doom, Banishment will all cause a lot of damage and the first two might get the Vamp.

Almost your whole list is Fast Cav so it should be very hard for his bus to pull off a good charge. Even if your Sisters are charged, they should be able to Flee, rally and then move normally next turn because of the Feigned Flight rule.