WotSF Age of Sigmar

Discuss your latest army list or composition, or ideas on how to create your next tournament-winning army.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Hyarion
Elder of the Council

WotSF Age of Sigmar

Post by Hyarion »

So I have been challenged to play a 50 wound game this coming weekend. What do you think?

[5] 1x 1 Glade Lord on Foot (Hail of Doom arrow is still awesome).
[20] 1x20 Glade Guard
[16] 1x4 Warhawk Riders
[9] 1x9 Waywatchers
The Warrior of the Silver Flame
I hold the Glaive of Law against the Earth.

If you refuse to capitalize on your strengths or make the most of your opponent's weaknesses, you are begging to lose.
There is no combat without movement.

Duraska
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: AoS List

Post by Duraska »

You'll have great shooting, but how will you handle close combat?
Rogue Sun
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Rogue Sun »

I really don't see the point of Glade Guard. Waywatchers are the same "price" at one wound each but ALWAYS hit on 3's and are more flexible. You lose the one turn of -3 rend, but multiple turns of -2 rend seem more reliable.

I'd drop the Glade Guard and 1 Warhawk for 9 Waywatchers and 15 Rangers/Eternal Guard/Wardancers. You'll need something to catch any incoming troops so you can continuing shooting at them. My personal favorite are Wardancers since they're very flexible in their role, hit on 3's and can either wade through squishy stuff, kill harder stuff or become survivable.
Jezandu
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Jezandu »

If you do take glade guard take a few more than 20 per unit. As soon as you drop below 20 you will loose your +1 to the dice roll. I'd drop one Warhawk rider instead.
Merlin Elf friend
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Merlin Elf friend »

If you have the models, I would change the Glade Guard for 5 (10w) Glade Riders and 10 Wild wood rangers. Glade Riders don't "suffer" the ambush rule and have 14" move plus 20" bow range with 2 shots each! Also each steed has 2 "stamping Hooves" attacks, you know the old adage about the horses doing more damage than the riders, so well worth a go IMHO.

The Rangers do D3 damage against Monsters with their "Draiches". Full command on all squishy aelf units recommended.
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

I don't have any Eternal Guard or Wildwood Ranger models although Wardancers are a good possibility.

Since I know one of my opponents will be Stormcast Eternals, I like the idea of one guaranteed round of -3 Rend, instead of only rolling 6 to wound.
I will admit to being intrigued by the thought of swapping the Glade Guard for 10 more Waywatchers, and 5 Wild Riders.....

If you refuse to capitalize on your strengths or make the most of your opponent's weaknesses, you are begging to lose.

Justinian
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Justinian »

I don't see the advantage of Wild Riders over Sisters now unless you run them with Orion. Sure they have slightly better mobility due to being able to run and charge and they have a slightly better to hit roll but they lose out on one extra attack, one rend and wizard status.
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

I agree that SotT have much more utility due to their magic and their ranged ability but only until/unless shooting into or out of combat gets FAQed.

Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Re: WotSF Age of Sigmar

Post by Hyarion »

So I can't keep myself from tinkering.....

50 wounds version 2

[8] Orion
[16] 4 Warhawk Riders
[8] 8 Waywatchers
[8] 8 Waywatchers

I have 10 wounds left, Wild Riders or Wardancers or Sisters of the Thorn?

Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: wood elves

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

I liked your first list better, glade guard's arcane bodkins are the best for knights. Waywatchers are more versatile, but if you need to punch through a lot of armor I'd go with GG. Wardancers are great, but you have to be smart about when you use the 'Shadow's Coil' dance. Maybe give them 'Mystic Shield' if you have room for a Spellweaver?
"Herald of Athel Loren" Limited Edition Book #0165
AoS is the greatest!
Justinian
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Justinian »

I like the second list. Orion has some decent rending to help with armour. The Waywatchers are just more bang for their buck over glade guard unless you know you're up against a very armour heavy list. Having a survivable general is important to keep command abilities going and to stop a cheeky sudden death assassination. You probably need some more close combat ability so take the Wardancers in my opinion. Or if you have the model drop a warhawk and take Durthu and 2 extra Waywatchers.
overtninja
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: just wood elves :p

Post by overtninja »

Whatever you bring has to deal with armor, since ScE pack serious armor saves. A big unit of glade guard with arcane bodkins is good - but they can only do the trick once, and they'll perish in combat, and you have to take a big block of them (20+) for them to be really effective. I think in larger games a big blob of them is a good bet, but fielding them in smaller groups the way we're used to in 8th won't be ideal.

A Treeman of any description is a combat beast, so if you've got one I'd bring it as well. Good ranged attack and durability, outrageous wound generation.

Warhawk Riders hit hard, and I think their potency is largely as a clean-up unit due to their 'Sweep Through Their Lines' ability. Charge a unit, soften that unit up with shooting, clean up with the WhR, and immediately pile into another unit.

Waywatchers are awesome. They speak for themselves.

If you're going with your Orion list, adding 5 Sisters wouldn't be a bad idea. It gives you a caster (ScE don't have any so far, so you'll have uninterrupted casting!), and their attacks are decent. Their spells could help Orion or the Warhawks in combat (I'd go with Mystic Shield, as our saves are kind of bad, though you could go with Shield of Thorns to crank extra wounds).

Wardancers can also be good, but I suspect they'll suffer against the heavy armor that ScE bring to the table.

So yeah, lots of options! Having so many actually good choices on what to field is one of the strong points of AoS, imo. :D
Merlin Elf friend
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Merlin Elf friend »

I have found Treeman/Treeman Ancient and the "unloved" TreeKin to be really good in AoS, especially when playing in the region of 50-60 wounds, need at least one Sylvaneth wizard, so you can "heal" them; I usually add about 12-15 waywatchers for additional ranged attacks - both types of Treeman have a ranged attack!

For the TreeKin the smaller "old" metal Treeman are a good proxy - Good Hunting!
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

Well, the Stormcast Eternal player didn't show up, so I played against a guy using the HE side from Island of Blood.

Battle Report:

My dice had a mutiny. The waywatchers couldn't hit squat. The Warhawk Riders all decided to become pacifists. I ended up taking a unit of dryads which did well, which was good because the Hail of Minor Inconvenience Arrow left plenty of slack to be picked up. All in all, not a good test, but the game just wasn't that enjoyable either.

bozo69pd
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Nurgle CSM/Daemons

Post by bozo69pd »

I prefer a Treeman ancient, as many branchwraiths and dryads as you can take. Don't forget your woods. Summon summon dryads, while sitting in your woods, with a mystic shield on your tank. Arcane bolt spam at monster unit.