500 pts lists

Discuss your latest army list or composition, or ideas on how to create your next tournament-winning army.

Moderator: Council of Elders

GeoffDiGeoff
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Dark Elves

500 pts lists

Post by GeoffDiGeoff »

Hey guys,

I'm playing a mate of mine tomorrow, and we've decided to have 2 500 pt games rather than 1 1500pt game, in attempt to try out small scale skirmishes, and prepare for AoS.
Here are my 2 (very different) lists, what do you think?
List 1
Core
12xDryads + Branch Nymph
12xDryads + Branch Nymph

Special
Treekin x 3

Heroes
Branchwraith

Total pts: 494

List 2
Core
10x GG with Trueflight + Musician

Rare
6x Waywatchers

Heroes
Glade Captain - Trueflight, Shield, HoDA
Waystalker - Bow of Loren

Total pts: 500

Not sure what I'll be up against, my buddy has Ogres, Orcs and Gobbos or Daemons
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: 500 pts lists

Post by Aezeal »

I think the melee list will not win against the armies you mentioned. The dryad might be nice if he doesn't have a caster, if you roll dwellers you will hurt him bad :D

I think the shooty list has too much points in characters, though a good HoDA roll will help you a lot.
It also depends on what he's bringing but these armies are not the highest on AS (though they all have some high AS options) so scouts might be better.... but if he brings high armor it will be annoying... it's a bit of a gamble.

I think that if you get some dryads and the branchwraith backed up by some shooting you could have a nice army. The problem is that you'll be 6-dicing the single spell you have or else he will dispell it anyway unless he has very low dice. 2 branchwraiths might be a good idea just to have more to cast so he needs to choose (and more chance of dwellers).
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

I think current warhammer and Age of sigmar will be so different that it wont matter. Play what you want.
The Warrior of the Silver Flame
I hold the Glaive of Law against the Earth.

If you refuse to capitalize on your strengths or make the most of your opponent's weaknesses, you are begging to lose.
There is no combat without movement.

GeoffDiGeoff
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by GeoffDiGeoff »

I agree, AoS will be different, but I'm excited by it and want a small game, of 8th for fun :)

I could try this list, as a combination of trees and shooting:

Core
11xDryads - Branch Nymph

Special
5x Deepwood Scouts - Muso + Hagbane
5x Deepwood Scouts - Muso + Hagbane

Heroes
Branchwraith
Glade Captain - HoDA + Shield

Total: 493

Or ditch the Branchwraith and go for a couple of extra scouts and 4 more dryads?

A variant on List 2:

Core:
12x GG - Muso, Trueflight

Special
6x Wild Riders - Shields, FC

Heroes
Glade Captain - Starfire Shafts, HoDA, Shield

Argh, so many choices!
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

I really like that first one. I might consider dropping the Branchwraith for a Great Eagle.

You might want to consider finding the old Warband rules and playing some games with those, they are really awesome for small points games.
The Warrior of the Silver Flame
I hold the Glaive of Law against the Earth.

If you refuse to capitalize on your strengths or make the most of your opponent's weaknesses, you are begging to lose.
There is no combat without movement.

GeoffDiGeoff
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by GeoffDiGeoff »

Hyarion wrote:I really like that first one. I might consider dropping the Branchwraith for a Great Eagle.

You might want to consider finding the old Warband rules and playing some games with those, they are really awesome for small points games.
Like it :) And eagle in a game this size could be a great boon. Thanks!
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

I think that in these small numbers wildriders are probably the very single best option you can take. If you go full wild riders you will probably demolish everything unless he brings a 1+ AS with reroll character. Even if they have a shooty army I doubt they will be able to shoot enough to do enough damage to stop you from hurting them bad.

PS I'd personally not use musci in scouts.

I think the strongest list would probably be something like
Full TF GG core and then full WR for special allowance (2 bad you can't get 2 units of 5 in the special allowance). lvl 2 mage on horse (life) with or without HoDA as character
or 2x branchwraiths

mage >>> hero