500 points for a campaign

Discuss your latest army list or composition, or ideas on how to create your next tournament-winning army.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Aquaman
Newcomer
Newcomer

500 points for a campaign

Post by Aquaman »

HI all
I am looking for some advice or thoughts on a 500 point list for a friendly campaign I am participating in. so far I have played the fist round and to my surprise every one is running wizards. Here is what I am thinking

waystalker with ruby ring(fire ball) -115
5 waywatchers -100
10 glade guard with hagbane tips -150
5 wild riders -130

I could swap the waystalker for a level 2 spellsinger probably fire (for the same cost). the waystalker provides a good way of killing the enemy characters. but the spellsinger provides more potential damage and defence against enemy wizardsnot sure witch would be better any thoughts?

Also would true flight arrows be better than hagbane?
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Re: 500 points for a campaign

Post by Billthesurly »

Wood Elves have always excelled at low point total games. What you have there looks OK. Perhaps you could swap the Ruby Ring for the Hail of Doom Arrow? Enemy wizards will dispell your Ruby Ring with the greatest of ease and since it is your only magic they can throw all their dice at it every turn. They can't dispel the Hail of Doom. We always do well in low point games without spell casters because our shooters are so good at casting their own spells if you know what I mean. Hagbane arrows should do you just fine. Set up to threaten him with the WR while trimming him down with the shooters. Polish off the cripples with the WR charge.

Bonne Chance.
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Aquaman
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Aquaman »

you have pretty much highlighted my strategy going into it i just felt a little vulnerable to my opponents magic (hence my consideration of the wizard). I would take the hail of doom arrow but cant with the waystalker (only 25 point allowance) and I don't think it would be worth it on the wizard which means taking a glade captain. is that what u would suggest? If I dropped the ruby ring what what might you suggest with the 25 points?
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

If you feel vulnerable to enemy magic, you may want to think about swapping out your Waystalker/Ruby Ring (which Bill rightly pointed out will do nothing in that regard) for a lv 1 Shadowdancer although that will mean you may need to rejigger your list and I quite like it the way it is.

As for what to take on the Waystalker, I would probably go with:
1) Obsidian Trinket and a Glade Guard Musician.
2) Obsidian Trinket and Ironcurse Icon
3) Terrifying Mask of Eeee!
The Warrior of the Silver Flame
I hold the Glaive of Law against the Earth.

If you refuse to capitalize on your strengths or make the most of your opponent's weaknesses, you are begging to lose.
There is no combat without movement.

Sidewinder
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Sidewinder »

Needing an answer to the opponent's magic in 500 point games? An arrow through the enemy wizard's forehead is the WE way.
Seriously, at 500 points you shouldn't worry about countering mages with mages; counter their magic with combat. Once you kill their mage then you will be equal in the magic phase. I wouldn't be surprised that some of your opponents will forego mages.

Give it some thought to give your Waywalker Potion of Foolhardiness and Charmed Shield. It's too bad you don't have the points for Potion of Strength and Charmed Shield, or Helm o/t Hunt and Potion of Foolhardiness.

If you drop the Waystalker for a Branchwraith you could add two more Waywatchers.

And yes, I believe at this point level, Trueflight are better than Hagbanes, especially if your going against Skinks or Tomb King Archers. You will not succeed with poison if the GG moved while shooting at Chameleon Skinks sitting in water because you will need "7s". Under the same situation you will kill Skinks with Trueflight.

edit: Got it! Shadowdancer with Potion of Strength. That's a possible five str 6 attacks. There shouldn't be anything that you would go against in a 500 point game that would prevent the To Hit re-rolls. This should take care of any enemy wizard that you are likely to go up against. And even if your opponent doesn't have a mage, the Shadowdancer should be able to deal with any light unit.
Favorite hobby - playing GW games
2nd favorite hobby - complaining about GW