2000 point WE army vs Skaven friendly games

Discuss your latest army list or composition, or ideas on how to create your next tournament-winning army.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Joolz
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves and Dwarfs

2000 point WE army vs Skaven friendly games

Post by Joolz »

Hi guys!

So here's my first official army list and I would really appreciate some feedback on it versus Skaven. I haven't played for more than 10 years (and even then it was a bit iffy) but I'm really stoked about WFB and been so ever since I got in to it all those years ago. I've followed this forum for a while and my basic gameplay knowledge is fairly OK. My main matchup will be Skaven and it will be friendly games where well painted models are part of the excitement. But as most of us know winning is also pretty neat :p ! Having fun with the army is important all the same and I would like to avoid an avoidance list (atleast for now) since moving and shooting for the first games played in over 10 years will probably ruin the fun of it (?). If the competition aspect of it all evolves later on though I have no problem making things difficult for him, or me for that matter :) .

I feel kinda lost when it comes to magic lores and magic items vs different armies so some advice there would also be sweet! I don't have an infitite amount of models (duuh) but I can always get a few more if needed.
Oh and also I have the Skaven army list further down if that helps.

So here is my WE list á 2000p

~Lords~
-Spellweaver lvl 4, elven steed (in the Sisters unit)
Lore: Shadow
Magic Items: Moonstone of the Hidden ways, Dispell Scroll
305p

~Heroes~
-Glade captain (BSB), asrai longbow, arcane bodkins,light armor, great weapon
Magic Items: Hail of Doom Arrow, Battle standard
139p

~Core~
-20x Eternal guards, standard, musician
-10x Glade guards, musician (trueflight?)
-10x Glade guards, musician (trueflight?)
500p

~Special~
-5x Deepwood scouts (hagbane)
-5x Deepwood scouts (hagbane)
-3x Warhawk riders

-5x Wild riders, shields
-5x Sisters of the thorn, standard, musician
555p

~Rare~
-1x Great eagle
-1x Great eagle
-1x Treeman
-8x Waywatchers
485p

Total: 1984p

Thoughts...
Do I need a wardsave on my mage?
Do I need like gleaming pennant on WRs? A cool standard?
Are unit sizes OK?
Anthing else to consider?

---

Skaven list á 2000p

Lords
* Ikit Claw
Heroes
* Warlock Engineer x3
Core
* Clanrats 1/x40 w Warpfire Thrower
* Stormvermin 2/x20 w Poison Wind Mortar & Ratling Gun
Special
* Rat Ogres x2 & Master Moulder
* Poisoned Wind Globadiers x5
* Warplock Jezzails x3
Rare
* Doomwheel
* Warp Lightning Cannon

Cheers / Joolz
Last edited by Joolz on 09 Jun 2015, 10:25, edited 2 times in total.
Joolz
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: 2000 point WE army vs Skaven friendly games

Post by Joolz »

Just as a clarification on the Skaven list. I'm not sure Ikit Claw will be used as the named character or just model replacement for a Seer. Both alternatives will probably see some play.
youngseward
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by youngseward »

Ward save on your mage would definitely be good, and lore of shadow will be useful for debuffing the enemy. Main advice would be that eternal guard usually won't do all that much in combat (unless you get withering off vs ghe unit they are facing) but as they are stubborn they arr great chances to hold when they lose. Knowing this, ut can be really helpful to place them near an enemy that will want to charge them, and set up wild riders and Warhawks for countercharges into flanks and rear.
Scalps claimed by Shadowdancer: Ogre Tyrant, Kharybdiss and Demon Prince.
aFaun
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by aFaun »

Hi Joolz!

I think that with his current army, Your gaming buddy doesn't really stand a chance against yours. Let me explain. :)

youngseward was right, EG does not really shine in dealing wounds - except against lightly armored, T3 troops, with low or average WS... Like clanrats, and even stormvermin. 20 of your dudes will route 20 stormvermin in one or two turns, with reasonable losses. Or in one turn, after slaughtering half of the rats, if the battle takes place in a forest.

And the 40 unit of clanrats? If they come in a horde formation (if your friend is a good general, they usually wont!), EG + WR can break them in a single turn. If they dont, well, lets make it 2 or 3. Of course, you can always redirect them.

The weapon teams? They are as tough as wet tissue paper. There only defense against BS based shooting besides their ward save (special rule) is hiding them behind units. Oh, sorry, trueflight ignores that. :D
One round of trueflight arrows: -1 weapon team. Two units of GG, -2 teams in a turn, if they are in range.

Globadiers and jezzails also die in waves against trueflight. (Hmmm. Maybe a bit more truflight woud be optimal? Of course, you will need hagbane against his rare choices.)

5 WR tramples 2 rat ogres down with ease. Believe me, I tried. :wink:

And you can outmaneuver him easily, so...

I don't say that your army will win on its own, you are needed for all these things to happen of course. :) But you have a counter against everything he has. Just beware the Dreaded Thirteenth spell!

Good luck:
aFaun
chickenbane
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Skaven, Lizardmen

Post by chickenbane »

That skaven list looks a bit light. The main threat is the Doomwheel I reckon. Poison the crap out of that and you should be well on the way to victory. The cannon can make a mess of the EG with a lucky shot. It looks to me like you have nearly the same number of models in both your armies. There has to be slaves or another big clanrat unit surely? Anyway best of luck.
My blog Contains the occasional Wood Elf!

My Battles
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

How many points is that cannon? If it's dangerous and near their point costs (or you think you can escape) I'd just put the warhawks against it.
Joolz
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Joolz »

youngseward wrote:Ward save on your mage would definitely be good, and lore of shadow will be useful for debuffing the enemy. Main advice would be that eternal guard usually won't do all that much in combat (unless you get withering off vs ghe unit they are facing) but as they are stubborn they arr great chances to hold when they lose. Knowing this, ut can be really helpful to place them near an enemy that will want to charge them, and set up wild riders and Warhawks for countercharges into flanks and rear.
Okay cool I'll add a wardsave to the mage, thanks! I'll probably try Eternal guards out in play with some WRs assisting, but I hear what you are saying :) !
Joolz
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Joolz »

@ aFaun It seems like atleast I will have a good time playing hehe :) ! I'm sure he will make changes if it's a crushing defeat on his part. But I do know that he is a very sneaky opponent so he might have something up his sleeves <.< I'm feeling confident all the same though!

@ chickenbane Well Ikit Claw is like almost 300 points I think, or more. Also Stormvermin is a few points more than Slaves and Clanrats. Note that it says 2x20 stormvermin so 40 total. But yeah, it's probably a bit light. He will have to find out the hard way :evil:

@ Aezeal I belive the cannon is pretty cheap. Like 85 points (correct me if I'm wrong)?? I'll send the Warhawks on it right away if the shooting won't get it first!

Thanks for the feedback guys, it's highly appreciated! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Would waystalkers be an idea vs the engineers and the warpfire throwers/mortar/ratling gun?
Joolz
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Joolz »

Aezeal wrote:Would waystalkers be an idea vs the engineers and the warpfire throwers/mortar/ratling gun?
I love the idea of Waystalkers and would really want to try it out. Ping those dudes off :smirk: ! I'm not sure how much I will need a BSB, maybe swap him for a Waystalker? Or bring both? =o

Question: The Sisters unit. How do you normally run them? Standard and musician, or only musician?
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

If you are asking me: I don't use them. But I'd say only music.