2500 pts of MSU. One last time on the drawing board.

Discuss your latest army list or composition, or ideas on how to create your next tournament-winning army.

Moderator: Council of Elders

NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: All kind of Elves.

2500 pts of MSU. One last time on the drawing board.

Post by NonnoSte »

Apparently in a few days we won't be able to play Warhammer as we know it anymore (actually, we will be able to play it whenever we'll feel to, but GW won't support it anymore), so I decided to take a MSU army out one last time for some matches with club mates.

First the list, then I'll explain my choices:

Lords: 571

Aryandror, Lord of the Lost Glade. 251

Great Weapon, Armour of Destiny, Bow of Loren, Hail of Doom Arrow.

Laurien, the Windweaver
. 320
L4 (Heavens), Elven Steed, Obsidian Amulet, Hex Scroll.

Heroes: 415

Alastair, Heir of the Lost Glade. 160

Battle Standard Bearer, Elven Steed, Talisman of Preservation, Charmed Shield.

Kora, Twinsinger from the Underworld
. 140
L2 (Death), Dispel Scroll.
Hekabe, Twinsinger from the Underworld
. 115
L2 (Death).

Core Units: 625

20 Eternal Guards.
Shields, Standard, Gleaming Pennant.
11 Glade Guards. 185
Trueflight Arrows, Musician, Standard.
11 Glade Guards. 185
Trueflight Arrows, Musician, Standard.

Special Units: 654

7 Deepwood Scouts.
Hagbane Tips.
7 Deepwood Scouts. 112
Hagbane Tips.
5 Wardancers.
5 Wardancers
5 Sisters of the Thorn
5 Sisters of the Thorn

Standard, Banner of the Eternal Flames.

Rare Units: 230

9 Waywatchers.
Great Eagle.

I wanted to try the Shooty Glade Lord since I faced it last month. The usefulness of the 5 shots fromt he BoL are not to be underestimated. They can finish off lone models, force some panic check on small chaff units and chip the occasional wound here and there. The HoDA on model with BS7 is very powerful too and it can be a dangerous Stand and Shoot reaction. It's also possible to join the flaming Sisters for the occasional Flaming HoDA to wound regenerating targets before a focused shooting phase. Armour of Destiny is the best protection for the Lord, who can afford to take a GW for 4 Str6 attacks in desperate situations.
Once I had settled to try the Glade Lord, it was interesting to benefit the most from his Ld 10, so the two Deathsingers are tere for Spirit Leech purposes. Their level upgrades are there to get lucky and hope for the occasional Doom and Darkenss, SOulblight or Black Horrors (since the other 3 spells are not really useful on static casters or not useful at all).
Wardancers are my unit of choice to carry around the Lord and the two Singers when the static Eternal Guards bunker is no more suited for their needs. Maybe it would be useful to merge them and run a single 10 men unit instead of 2x5, but at 75 pts they're also an excellent chaff and sacrifical unit.
The Gleaming Eternal Guard are there to hold flanks by themselves or to bunker the foot characters against shooty armies which don't intend to rush towards them (otherwise Wardancers are much better to sneak between approaching units).

Heavens is my favourite lore for a single L4 and it synergise well with shooting in general, with the HoDA and Wardancers can be pretty effective when granted rerolls to saves or to wound rolls. The ranged threat of the lore also complements a list with no big threats like this.
MR(2) on the Weaver grants her a 2++ against spells (and to Sisters too, if she has to join them) and provides a great escape route in combination with the Comet. thanks to the save you can run the caster bunker in the middle of the landing area of a Comet with relative safety and not many opponents will be happy to chase them there.
The BSB is mounted and sports a 4+/4++ with the charmed shield and it's the safest of the possible builds.

Two small units of Sisters are the best fast cav in the game IMO. They can chase warmachines, flank charge units without givin up CR for free and they're great to carry around the Weaver and the BSB. the flaming unit is also one of the best answers to Regenerating threats like Chimerae and Nurgle Beasts (I'm not joking, I tried them) other then contributing with their poisoned javelins to strip Regen from range. Same reasoning of Wardancers, an 8 (wo)men unit with full command could be more effective as a bunker, but it loses a lot of the other roles which are the most interesting IMO.

Usual mix of HBT and TFA (althought quite light respect some more usual lists) and some WW to close the mix of ranged firepower.
The everpresent Eagle seals the deal for a list that looks really sub-optimal, but hopefully can work something out, being extremely annoying.

Obviously some Wild Riders or Warhawk Riders could provide some needed punch, but I liked to try all these units together and find out if they can work in some way.

At this point I'm at 2495 pts and I don't know what to do with those last 5 pts.
Dragonbane gem for a Deathsinger to hold flaming units in woods? Ironcurse Icon to save some cannonball? Great weapon or spear and shield for a BSB I don't want in combat? some magic arrow for the flag waver?
I'm also unsure what to do with Eternal Guards. Are they better like that or should I drop shields in favour of Champ and Mus? (banners on GG are there because in my club we usually play BRB scenarios)
Last edited by NonnoSte on 07 Jun 2015, 23:24, edited 1 time in total.
Yuri
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Re: 2500 pts of MSU. One last time on the drawing board.

Post by Yuri »

I like the names. Is there some stories or legends (lets call them like that, it's better than word "fluff") related to them?

Also, I had exactly the same hero choice once (except Armor of Destiny). But not on purpose because I screwed up the rules. Anyway, dude ate WoC list at 1500 points. If you ask me, 250 pts is a bit too much for a guy (M 5) who only shoots 5 shots with str 3.
Yuri's little corner
Møøse trained by Yute Hermsgervørdenbrøtbørda
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: All kind of Elves.

Re: 2500 pts of MSU. One last time on the drawing board.

Post by NonnoSte »

Yeah, there's some kind of tale based upon them, where Aryandror is the father of Laurien and Alastair.
I started the tale during the Glottkin campaign held by our local gaming club, but it's written in Italian and I lack time and skills to translate all of it in English. Here there's the start of the tale, but it's really nothing fancy.

Kora and Hekabe, on the other hand are two classic Greek goddesses from the underworld (Kora is an alternative name for Persephone, while Hekabe is the ruler of infernal demons).

I know the Lord is probably over priced for what he can achieve, but I wanted to give him a try.
What really attracts me is the freedom the Weaver gains once she's not forced to be the general. Ld10 is also crucial for Spirit Leech spam.