2000 Points against Lizardmen

Discuss your latest army list or composition, or ideas on how to create your next tournament-winning army.

Moderator: Council of Elders

matt9872
Newcomer
Newcomer

2000 Points against Lizardmen

Post by matt9872 »

First time playing against Lizard men so not quite sure what to do.

Lords: 280
Spellweaver, Moonstone, Power Stone, Level 4, Lore of Shadow

Heros: 135
Glade Captain, Hail of Doom Arrow, Enchanted Shield, BsB

Core: 680
Eternal Guard x 20, Shields, Musician

Glade Guard x10, Trueflight, Musician

Glade Guard x10, Trueflight, Musician

Glade Riders x5, Hagbane

Special: 571
Deepwood Scouts x 8, Hagbane

Deepwood Scouts x 8, Hagbane

Sisters of the Thorn, Standard Bearer, Lichbone Pennent

Wild Riders, Musican, Standard Bearer, Shields

Rare: 325
Treeman

Waywatchers x 5

Plenty of Poison to deal with monsters, Sisters use Curse to mess with big blocks of Saurus. Mage and bsb go in Eternal Guard, lure in whatever combat unit is aimed at them, use Moonstone to fly away. I imagine my priority early on is to take out all the chaff such as Skinks and I feel I have enough shooting to put a large dent in him from turn 1. Treeman can treewhack a monster or something/be a distraction.

Any feedback is appreciated
Blackcat
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Empire, Imperial Guard, Eldar

Re: 2000 Points against Lizardmen

Post by Blackcat »

It looks good to be honest. It seems like you have all the bases covered and a good selection. It will just come down to your skill during the game and your opponents army and skill. If possible use a denied deployment to draw away any large blocks of infantry and make sure you target those monsters with all that lovely poison you have. Be careful where you place your eternal guard (even with your moonstone) and your treeman, place them last during deployment so you can pick your battles as best you can.

Sounds like you have a pretty solid plan so just stick to it. Good luck and post up a battle report because I would love to read about it and I am sure many others on this forum would too.
matt9872
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by matt9872 »

Cheers for the reply, I'll make sure I give a little batrep after the match to see if all went to plan. One question, how do I employ denied deployment exactly? Im still a relatively new player.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

You say you think you have enough hagbane to deal with monsters.. but if he brings more than 1 monster you will have a problem dealing with it in the first 2 turns.
matt9872
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by matt9872 »

If...
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

matt9872 wrote:If...
yes... if. But hagbane is probably a bit better than TF against saurus and slann too. And if a monster reaches your lines you have a pretty big problem usually. Personally that makes me prefer to be on the save side with the HB. But I play with more archers so it's easier for me to get more of them anyway.
ScottyDo
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by ScottyDo »

Trueflight are superior against skinks. Let he who has never faced the terror of skink clouds cast the first stone.
matt9872
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by matt9872 »

That's my thoughts behind it, trueflight to deal with the skink units early on, with focussed poison on the big guys.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

ScottyDo wrote:Trueflight are superior against skinks. Let he who has never faced the terror of skink clouds cast the first stone.
True. Against skinks you might even consider swiftshivers... though probably trueflights are the better choice for the most important early turns.
chickenbane
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Skaven, Lizardmen

Post by chickenbane »

Skirmishing Skinks make Swiftshivers less useful until they're in short range. Even then I'm doubtful of their use. Trueflight are miles better for them.
My blog Contains the occasional Wood Elf!

My Battles
matt9872
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by matt9872 »

The game is done, now for that (quick) report.

His army consisted of a unit of around 25 temple guard and a slann, 30 saurus, 30 skinks, 10 cold one knights, 3 ripperdactyls and a skink priest. I will just go over a few key points in the game.

I got the first turn. The trueflights worked like a charm against his skinks, by turn two, One unit with the skink priest was dead, a unit was fleeing with little chance of reforming, and one unit was reduced to three men. He had spread out his line a bit so most of the low leadership like the skinks were out of bsb range.

The moonstone worked well, he had walked between worlds his temple guard to about 10 inched in front of my eternal guard. In my turn, I walked into my forest and fly to near enough his deployment zone, which I then managed to get The Penumbral Pendulum and Pit of shades of onto his temple guard. He regretted not having a dispell scroll.

The wild riders slaughtered the ripperdactlys, only to be killed by the cold one in his turn, as my overrun put them right in front of them.

The tree man didn't do a lot, killed a few cold ones but got killed after a few rounds of combat, I feel he would be better suited going up against a monstrous creature for his tree whack.

The sisters were mainly used to try and get the curse off on his blocks, I got it off once I think, which killed about 6 saurus. I like them as but I'm not yet convinced by them. I'm tempted to convert myself a mounted weaver to ride along with them.

In the end, all he had was about 12 saurus, the moonstone really surprised him I think, and it meant he had basically surrounded himself between 4 units of archers, my sisters and my eternal guard. Between them shooting and my hail of doom arrow I had killed the temple guard in two turns.

A major victory for the wood elves, having only lost my treeman and my unit of wild riders.

PLaying him next week, I feel he may bring a few monsters and tweek his list. I heard mention of a Bestiladon. So any tips on how to improve my list would be great. I'm tempted to scrap my eternal guard. I love the look of them as a unit. But all they did the whole game was die from magic. A very expensive bodyguard unit as I try to avoid combat at all costs with them. I have always felt all glade guard core, although effective, to be a little boring to maybe I'll just stick with it.

Anyway, cheers for the interest guys.
Last edited by matt9872 on 14 Jun 2015, 09:01, edited 1 time in total.
chickenbane
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Skaven, Lizardmen

Post by chickenbane »

I play lizardmen as well as wood elves and if you can get a level 2 metal mage in there searing doom is an unholy terror for Bastiladons and cold one cavalry. Not bad against the Saurus and TG too. Final Trans is a fantastic spell, and Enchanted Blades and glittering robe can make Wild riders even more lethal!
My blog Contains the occasional Wood Elf!

My Battles
matt9872
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by matt9872 »

Lords
Spellweaver
(BRB) Power Stone, (BRB) Talisman of Endurance, Elven Steed, Level 4, Lore of Shadow

Heroes
Spellsinger
(BRB) Dispel Scroll, (BRB) Talisman of Protection, Level 2, Lore of Metal

Core
Glade Guard
Musician
10x Glade Guard
10x Hagbane Tips

Glade Guard
Musician
10x Glade Guard
10x Hagbane Tips

Glade Guard
Musician
10x Glade Guard
10x Hagbane Tips

Glade Riders
Musician
5x Glade Riders
5x Hagbane Tips
Special

Deepwood Scouts
10x Deepwood Scouts
10x Trueflight Arrows

Deepwood Scouts
10x Deepwood Scouts
10x Trueflight Arrows

Sisters of the Thorn
5x Sisters of the Thorn
Standard Bearer
(BRB) Lichebone Pennant

Wild Riders
Standard Bearer
(BRB) Gleaming Pennant
5x Wild Riders
5x Shields

Rare
Treeman

Waywatchers
5x Waywatchers

How about this then, swapped the eternal guard for a level 2 metal singer and a unit of glade guard. Swapped the true-flight to the deepwood scouts to make the most of their skirmisher rule.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

It's a nice list.. personally I'd not take the treeman either.. yes.. it might be nice against monsters.. but HB deal with those better. I'd go for more WR, warhakws and/or a BSB with HoDA myself. Personally I prefer taking scouts in 5's.
matt9872
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by matt9872 »

How about these changes then? Swapped the treeman for a bsb, warhawk riders, a great eagle and a unit of glade riders now both upgraded with hagbane. I also added another unit of scouts, reducing them to 6 man units.

Lords

Spellweaver
(BRB) Power Stone, (BRB) Talisman of Endurance, Elven Steed, Lore of Shadow

Heroes
Glade Captain
(AB) Hail of Doom Arrow, (BRB) Enchanted Shield, Battle Standard, Hand Weapon

Spellsinger
(BRB) Dispel Scroll, Level 2, Lore of Metal

Core
Glade Guard
Musician
10x Glade Guard
10x Trueflight Arrows

Glade Guard
Musician
10x Glade Guard
10x Trueflight Arrows

Glade Riders
Musician
5x Glade Riders
5x Hagbane Tips

Glade Riders
Musician
5x Glade Riders
5x Hagbane Tips

Special
Deepwood Scouts
6x Deepwood Scouts
6x Hagbane Tips

Deepwood Scouts
6x Deepwood Scouts
6x Hagbane Tips

Deepwood Scouts
6x Deepwood Scouts
6x Hagbane Tips

Sisters of the Thorn
5x Sisters of the Thorn
Standard Bearer
(BRB) Lichebone Pennant

Warhawk Riders
3x Warhawk Riders

Wild Riders
Musician, Standard Bearer
5x Wild Riders
5x Shields

Rare
Great Eagle

Waywatchers
6x Waywatchers
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Looks lik a nice list. I don't have much experience with GR I must admit and I'd take more waywatchers but I'm not saying that would be the better choice. Great list, flexible too I think. You might want to consider a GW on the BSB especially against low I lizzies if you have 4 points left.

I think he'll be watching his forests and play carefull thinking you might have a moonstone agian :D
matt9872
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by matt9872 »

My only thought is having a bsb in a tiny little glade guard unit, do you have any experience of doing this? I have only every used one in eternal guard and it feels more secure.
Blackcat
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Empire, Imperial Guard, Eldar

Post by Blackcat »

matt9872 wrote:Cheers for the reply, I'll make sure I give a little batrep after the match to see if all went to plan. One question, how do I employ denied deployment exactly? Im still a relatively new player.
Nice little battle report. Sounds like a good game. You had your plan and it worked out well.

As to denied deployment. When you deploy your army (assuming its a pitched battle) you each place one unit then keep alternating. The trick is to try and drop units into an area and make him think you are going to deploy your army in that section. So because wood elves usually have a large number of units you can drop a couple on say, the left flank, and make him think thats where you are going to focus. Then he deploys a couple of big blocks opposite them and you then deploy the majority of your army on the right flank. Thus suddenly he has to cross the entire board with his big blocks of infantry and this allows you to handle his army piecemeal. First taking out the chaff units then when the blocks finally arrive you can handle them with your entire army. It works best if you use fast movers such as wild riders, warhawk riders or skirmishers (again, if possible).

It is easier said than done but try it out, even sacrificing a unit of glade guard if you have to. I used it really well in a game recently with my empire vs dark elves. I deployed my knights, demi gryphs and griffin rider all on the right flank and he deployed his big block of executioners directly opposite them. First turn of the game all 3 units moved to the centre of the board and I literally took out 1/3 of his army without even having to engage them. It allowed me to fight the rest of his his army with my full army. I proceeded to destroy them and by turn 5 I had lost only one unit whereas he had lost all but his executioners.