2300 point army

Discuss your latest army list or composition, or ideas on how to create your next tournament-winning army.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Mark84
Newcomer
Newcomer

2300 point army

Post by Mark84 »

Hey guys,

This is my first bash at compiling an army list. I've just got back into warhammer - I last played twentyish years ago!

I wanted a varied army but am worried it won't have enough clout in hand to hand combat? Also I'm looking to round off the army to 2500 points, what I could I add?
I'm open to suggestions...cheers

General:
Spellweaver Level 4 320 points
+100 points of magic items

Heroes:
Naestra & Arahan 495 Points
Mounted on Forrest Dragon

Core:
Glade guard x 32 with Starfire shafts 542 Points
+ Command unit

Glade Rider x 16 with Starfire shafts 368 Points

Dryad x 12 132 Points

Special:
Wardancer x 15 225 Points

Rare:
Treeman x 1 225 Points

Total: 2307 Points
Blackcat
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Empire, Imperial Guard, Eldar

Re: 2300 point army

Post by Blackcat »

Split your glade riders up because they are just going to get destroyed the moment anything looks at them. Also 3 small units are way more mobile than one big block.
I would drop the dryads and put the points into more glade guard or maybe some scouts. As they are they will not be able to handle combat against anything stronger than chaff.

I would suggest taking high magic on your Mage and put her in the glade guard block and use the increase BS spell.

Overall not a bad first list for jumping back in but the game has changed quite a lot. Wood elves excel with a multiple small unit approach as we really can't handle combat against combat armies.
Sidewinder
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Re: 2300 point army

Post by Sidewinder »

I suspect your army list list is based upon available models. The following is what I would do in that case.

As suggested above, divide your Glade Riders into three units. This will increase the odds of getting at least one ambushing unit on turn two.

Divide the Wardancers into two or three units. Deploy mage into one of them and move the mage from one to another as needed during the game.

Twelve Dryads are not much of a combat unit.
So, a unit of 21 GG will have to do. Keep the full command as you have it. The musician for tied combats, an additional pip for Rally tests, but primarily for quick reforms. The champion for challenging combat characters. It's better to lose one champion rather than three or four GG. And keep the standard bearer for combat resolution. Equipping it with the Standard of Discipline, Banner of the Eternal Flame, or the Gleaming Pendant would not be a bad idea either.

One unit of 10 GG with Trueflight and only a musician for command. With only ten models, this unit should be a mobile one and also the one to kill enemy skirmishers, especially Chameleon Skinks. The extra GG model can go in either of the two units or simply not be used at all saving a few points for something else.

Use the two excess Dryad models as Branchwraiths. One of course goes into the Dryad unit. The Dryad that gets Earth Blood goes into the 21 GG block.
The Branchwraith in the Dryad unit could be used as a redirector if needed.

Deploy the free forest about 27 inches from the opponents deployment zone. Choose Venom Thicket.
Deploy the 21 x GG in a 3 x 7 formation and place it in the forest. Ensure that the front edge of the third rank is no more than 30 inches from the opponent's deployment zone.
Dryads deploy to one side of the forest and the Treeman is deployed to the other side. Deploy the other units where necessary.

Glade Guard are not good as combat models but based on what is available, I think, a 5+ Regeneration, fear causing unit with 21 ASF (possibly re-rolling misses) poisoned attacks on the first round of combat is a good enough makeshift. The reason I say on the first round of combat is because there won't be many elves left for the next round of combat. Do combat reforms as necessary to create maximum amount of ranks.

Get Wild Riders as soon as possible.
Favorite hobby - playing GW games
2nd favorite hobby - complaining about GW