Light council 2400 pts

Discuss your latest army list or composition, or ideas on how to create your next tournament-winning army.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Akorndr2
Newcomer
Newcomer

Light council 2400 pts

Post by Akorndr2 »

+++ Wood elves 2400 (2400pts) +++

++ Wood Elves - Army Book (2014-5) -V8.8.0. (Standard) (2400pts) ++

+ Lords (305pts) +

Spellweaver (305pts) [(AB) Moonstone of the Hidden Ways (40pts), (BRB) Talisman of Preservation (45pts), Level 4 (35pts), Lore of Light]

+ Heroes (439pts) +

Glade Captain (144pts) [(AB) Hail of Doom Arrow (30pts), Asrai Longbow, Battle Standard (25pts), Elven Steed (10pts), Great Weapon (4pts), Light Armor]

Spellsinger (110pts) [(BRB) Obsidian Amulet (30pts), Lore of Light]

Spellsinger (105pts) [(BRB) Dispel Scroll (25pts), Lore of Light]

Spellsinger (80pts) [Lore of Light]

+ Core (609pts) +

Glade Guard (160pts) [Musician (10pts)]
····10x Glade Guard (150pts) [10x Trueflight Arrows (30pts)]

Glade Guard (160pts) [Musician (10pts)]
····10x Glade Guard (150pts) [10x Trueflight Arrows (30pts)]

Glade Riders (289pts) [Glade Knight (10pts)]
····12x Glade Riders (264pts) [12x Hagbane Tips (36pts)]
····Standard Bearer (15pts) [(BRB) Gleaming Pennant (5pts)]

+ Special (667pts) +

Warhawk Riders (135pts) [3x Warhawk Riders (135pts)]

Wild Riders (130pts) [5x Wild Riders (130pts)]

Wild Riders (130pts) [5x Wild Riders (130pts)]

Wild Riders (272pts)
····Standard Bearer (20pts) [(BRB) Banner of Eternal Flame (10pts)]
····9x Wild Riders (252pts) [9x Shields (18pts)]

+ Rare (380pts) +

Waywatchers (180pts) [9x Waywatchers (180pts)]

Waywatchers (200pts)
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Light council 2400 pts

Post by Aezeal »

Not sure about using a light council.. but would love to hear how it works.

I do like your troop choices, it similar to what I like to play with except for the glade riders. Only thing I'd consider is taking some scouts instead of a WR unit, not sure if you can deal with warmachines quick enough with the hawks, If the enemy has warmachines AND BS shooting (dwarves, empire and OnG could have that) your WR will not be able to reach the machines if that was part of the plan.
rawdogg15
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by rawdogg15 »

Where are you planning to hide your light council? Only the BSB appears to be mounted so I assume he's going with the 9 WR. Are the rest just going in a small GG unit? I'd worry that they were a bit vulnerable in there. I like the light council idea. Not sure we do it as well as Empire can but would love to hear how you get on with it.
Akorndr2
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Akorndr2 »

The light council goes with the unit of 10 waywatchers as i standard etc games theres like 2-3 forests plus add mine complete board control
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Why not put the BSB there too? It would be nasty to loose that unit to a panic test after shooting, even one round of not being able to shoot or do magic can hurt. And the WR need the BSB less than other units (ofc shooting is a thing for them too). If the WR charge they should win their combat usually.

Why not put all WW together in a unit btw.. more bodies to protect the mages, more WW that can jump to savety.
rawdogg15
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by rawdogg15 »

Akorndr2 wrote:The light council goes with the unit of 10 waywatchers as i standard etc games theres like 2-3 forests plus add mine complete board control
Ah yes, I'd overlooked the moonstone. That's a game changer if you can get the most out of it.

How are you planning to use the lore? Other than the obvious banishment spam, the rest of the lore is quite buffy isn't it? I'm not as familiar with it as other lores but I associate it with buffing up combat troops. That might work well with your wild riders but I have to wonder whether other magic might compliment the strengths of your army more effectively.

Still, I definitely like the idea.
Akorndr2
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Akorndr2 »

against other elves it will be useful
razorfate
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by razorfate »

May Pha's Protection save your soldiers in the upcoming battles
razorfate
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by razorfate »

I played against Vampire Counts with my ETC light council list.

My opponent had Mannfred (Loremaster in Death and Vampire), 2 necromancers, 1 M ortis Engine, 1 Terrorghesit, 1 Varghesit unit, 1 crypthorrors, 1 unit of hexwraiths, 2 units of direwolves, 1 vamire bats unit, 1 skeleton warriors and 2 zombies.

I had
Spellweaver, lvl 4, 4++ talisman, erathing rode, elven steed light lore
Spellsinger lvl 2, MR3, elvensteed
Spellsinger lvl 1, dispel scroll, elven steed
BSB, HODA, Gambler's armour, elven steed, starfire arrow

1 Unit of 8 man glade riders with starfire arrows
2 units of 5 man glade riders with hagbane
1 unit of 10 glade guard with trueflight

1 unit of 6 man scouts with starfire
2 units of 5 man scouts with hagbane
2 units of wild riders ( 1 with flaming banner and mus, the other only standard bearer)
1 unit 5 man sisters of thorn ( std of discipline and musician)

2 units of 5 man waywatchers
2 great eagles

My army fared pretty well unit turn 3 where my starfire glade riders came and exploded the mortis engine with the help of 5 man hagbane glade riders. In the catastrphic explosion came after wards 8 man glade riders ran off the table, 1 unit of waywatchers evoperated and 2 units of wild riders who were wounded in combat got a few wounds and died to the skeleton bunker at the end.

Until that point my light council was attacked by overrunning varghesit due to my bad positioning at turn 2. The light council beat the varghesit in 2 combat turns ( with the help pf pha's protection) but i lost my MR 3 spellsinger. After that my characters was hunted by mannfred's death spells one by one. Because the vampire count's board control after lots of my msu units died because of the ME's explosion was greater than mine.

Due to my poor magic phases ( i decided to hunt the terrorghesit at turn 1 and deployed my light council 24" away from him hence my poor deployment against vargheist unit) i rolled 1-1 at magic dice. And my risky positioning only managed to drew the dispel scroll. The next phases were no good either ( iwas stuck in combat or rolled pretty low for magic phase and mannfred generally had more dice than me because of his magical sword ability) and in the end i can only cast succesfully 1 signature spell during the whole battle and kiled the depleted skeleton unit.

My faith in light council vanished somewhat.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Well, a list alone won't win the battle. Sounds like you had some very poor luck and also took some risky chances. I would suggest to give the list another go if you like the concept behind it.

Better luck next time :)
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: All kind of Elves.

Post by NonnoSte »

Yeah, I guess that if you vaporized the Terrorgheist Turn 1 with a Banishment and then your Wild RIders had run through his entire army thanks to Timewarp and Pah's Protection, you would have an entirely different opinion about the light council.
razorfate
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by razorfate »

In my opinion the main reasons of my defeat were:

My low dice magic phases.
My opponent's ability to create good magic phases. The vampire counts army is very dependent on magic. Mannfred Von Carstein is a beast in this aspect as he is loremaster, can reroll one of the winds of magic dices every turn and can create power or dispel dice ith each wound he delivers in close combat)
I could not outdeploy my opponent who is a very good and experienced undead player ( one of our first ever ETC team member with his dark elf army.). I was afraid of his crypt horros which i could stop with y great eagles and can kill with mass archery. Instead i wanted to kill the Tbat in the first two turns and that was a mistake. I had to play pure avoidance.
I miscalculated the explosion radius of the mortis engine which took a great chunk of my army when it was killed.