3 person alliance tournament 2400 ETC my WE list

Discuss your latest army list or composition, or ideas on how to create your next tournament-winning army.

Moderator: Council of Elders

thomas
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elf, Ogre Kingdom

3 person alliance tournament 2400 ETC my WE list

Post by thomas »

I am going to a ETC style tournament with 2 other players on the team.
It uses ETC rules, pairing, terrain etc.
We have one Dark elf player (solid player with a solid witchelf (with couldron and deathhag) list), one WoC list (as i heard an average player, not sure about his list yet)
and then me, Wood elf list as written below. I consider myself as an average player that could be solid if I just use normal lists (like this one) ;)

First of all. This list cannot be changed, except lore. Ofcourse it _could_ be changed but I will not do it. I have played a few games with it and it delivers. Against the DE player it has two small victories, which I consider a good result as his list is not fun and not easy to play against.

Sisters of Twiligt on Ceithin-Har (dragon) (1PC)
Spellweaver level 4, moonstone, dispel scroll, talisman of endurance (5++) on Unicorn (1 PC for moonstone)
15 Glade guard hagbane, mus, std
15 Glade guard trueflight, mus, std (1PC)
10 Glade guard starfire shafts (flaming, +1 to wound against FoD), mus, std
6 Wildriders, shield, std
3 Warhawk riders
3 Warhawk riders
9 Waywatchers (1 PC)
9 Waywatchers (1 PC)
Great eagle

This results in 2398 pts and 5 PC.
This means that Death lore is out of the question. It gives way to many PC that I dont have.

I played with sisters on great eagle, but I find them (with ETC FAQ) to fragile. On dragon however I find them quite useful. Since my opponent needs more than one warmachine and needs to hit a 5-6 on both machines to might be able to kill the sisters, and the ETC terrain blocks LOS then I find the sisters on dragon quite safe. And if my opponent focuses on them, that means that the rest of my army can act freely.

The mage is going together with one unit of glade guards in my own forrest. That gives the unit a 5++ against magic and they can teleport out.

Warhawkriders are going on warmachine hunting together with the great eagle (unless I need him to redirect).
Waywatchers are an autoinclude. It can destroy a unit of knights/coldone/etc in 1 or 2 rounds.

I feel that this list is quite solid. My only problem is what lore to use. I have almost never had that problem before, but now I need some help....

Death - Cannot take it because of the Pool Choice limit
Undead - I WILL not paint more models before the tournament ;)
Heavens - Not useful enough with this list
Light - Not useful enough with this list
Beast - Not useful enough with this list
Fire - Dont think this is a good match with this list
Metal - Good against armour but not against other stuff
Life - This is one of my two defensive choices
WE High magic - This is my second defensive choice
Shadow - This is one of my two aggressive choices
WE Death magic - This is my second defensive choice

So what do you think will be the best match of lore for my list.
Remember that as this is a team pairing tournament we can do some choice making in what list that I will meet.
2015: Woos Elf: 5/1/6
2014: Wood Elf: 3/0/4
2013: Wood Elf: 4/1/4
2012: Wood Elf: 4/1/6

'Daemons can be played by themselves, without player. Just put them on table, go get some coffee and get back after 20mins or so, and you have successfully won yet another battle' - Yuri
Gorsameth
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: 3 person alliance tournament 2400 ETC my WE list

Post by Gorsameth »

A cannonball hits both the mount and the rider so depending on how it is handled (does it hit both sisters or do you randomize, RAW would say both are hit) so its a lot easier to kill both then you assume.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

I like the sisters too (on dragon only in ETC).. but Gorsa IS right one cannonball will hit Dragon and BOTH sisters (so probably kill them).
I know you like your list but I would consider some scouts myself, I like scouts and the combination of scouts and warhawks for warmachine hunting (for one.. the warhawks can't deal with skullcannons very well I think) I've had the situation that the Hawks could only approach by putitng themselves in charge range of his units.. scouts and their range do not have that problem. I'd go eagle, 1 unit of Hawks and 1 unit of HB scouts. Sisters can help huntign a bit too.. Arahan should be able to put about 1 wound on a machine.

In your magic choices you must mean WE dark (not death) on the last one and it's probably our 2nd agressive choice. I would not take that one btw. The others are always a toss up for me too. So far I've liked life with savely casting dwellers with 6 dice but it doesn't really do enough against chaos. High has somewhat limited ranges and I really find only arcane unforgings better than the life spells. Probably you should to the warhammer thing and roll a D3 for it.
thomas
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by thomas »

Thanks for your input :) The list is fixed, but I somewhat agree on trading one hawkunit for hagbane scouts.

Regarding the shooting when they are on dragon, please correct me if I'm wrong:

-Canonballs : The monster is hit, Since it is not a template then wounds are randomized 6 is one sister, 5 is the other, 1-4 is the dragon.
-Boltthrowers: The same as Canon
-Any warmachine using template (doom diver, stonethrower, flaming thrower, magic, etc...
Then both riders and the monster is hit as long as the template touches the base of the dragon.
If the hit has two different strengths (ex stonethrowers) then only one model will be hit at the higher strength (as long as the base touches the middle of the template)
Then you have to randomize as for shooting attack to see if the riders or the dragon take the bigger strength attack (same as for canon)
All other models are hit with the lower strenght value.

I used SRB (small rule book) p. 105 and forward as reference.

So for the SRB warmachines:

Bolt thrower: Only one model gets hit and loses D3 wounds. No big deal.
Canon: Only one model gets hit and loses D6 wounds. Could be a big deal against the dragon, otherwise not.
-Grapeshot: Could potentially be 10 shots. That could also be dangerous against the dragon
Firethrowers: Same as for template above, All gets hit, as long as it doesnt have multiple wounds, then no big deal.
Stone thrower: All gets hit, D6 wounds on the highest strength only. Could be dangerous against the dragon.

So with that in mind, I belive my sisters will survive most warmachines. The dragon however isnt that lucky. It could be dead on round 1 against 3 ot of 5 warmachines.
However the statistic tells me that it is unlikly to happen. However it could. So I need to watch that.

Am I reading the rules wrong here?

'Daemons can be played by themselves, without player. Just put them on table, go get some coffee and get back after 20mins or so, and you have successfully won yet another battle' - Yuri
Gorsameth
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Gorsameth »

Cannon is a 1-dimentional template.

Page 105 under Templates
Note this includes bouncing cannonballs
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Gorsameth wrote:Cannon is a 1-dimentional template.

Page 105 under Templates
Note this includes bouncing cannonballs
+1
thomas
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by thomas »

I missed that... Damn :)
Not to be a rulesfanatic but it does only say that the bounce of a canonball is a template. So, if the canon hits directly then it is not?
Unlikely situation but still..